[Official] Fringe News and Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Fringe News and Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Observer Becomes "A Person of Interest"!
JJ. Abrams will borrow Fringe‘s most loved fedora-wearing Observer this fall, leaving the timeline and all manner of realities in jeopardy. That’s right, Michael Cerveris will guest on his upcoming precrime thriller Person Of Interest.

Michael Cerveris will guest in an October episode of the CBS thriller, which stars LOST’s Michael Emerson as a billionaire software genius who teams up with Jim Caviezel to prevent crime…before it happens.

According to TV Line, Cerveris will portray
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Jarek Koska: “a highly organized and educated new breed of gang leader. Koska is an innovator, an entrepreneur — imagine Steve Jobs running MS-13. But for all that ruthless intelligence, he’s not above solving problems with brutal force.”

Even though it’s a one episode gig, it’s another reason to tune in. Hopefully “December” is on his game this October.

POI premieres Thursday, September 22 on CBShttp://seriable.com/fringe-observer- ... mment-6818

Note: website link goes to Blog in which discusses SPOILERS!

I LOVE Bad Robot parallels/mirrors/riffs/eastger eggs of comparitive works! It just makes their works that much more meaningful and interesting to watch!!!!!!

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby supermodel on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:34 pm

From Doc Jensen's column on EW.com. Jensen speculates a bit at the end but it is so convoluted that I don't think anyone will mind me posting it here.

FOX Launches New "Fringe" Web Series
As mind-boggling as Fringe can be, devoted fans of the Fox TV series probably have no need for a refresher course about the show’s now-elaborate mythology. Yet “Past + Present + Future” – a new series of recap videos that launches today at Fox.com – is worth checking out for longtime viewers (and is a must for newbies curious to check out the sci-fi drama in the wake of its acclaimed third season), especially with Dr. Walter Bishop himself doing the narration. The first installment provides a big picture overview of the series. The second installment – called “A Tragic Past” – begins the deep dive exploration of the saga.

John Noble makes for an engrossing, entertaining guide, his sonorous voice finding the right balance of gravity and wink. “Bishop and Bell were once the Lennon and McCartney of science, lab partners intent on pushing the boundaries and blurring the perceptions of reality,” Noble narrates, just ahead of a memorably hilarious clip from the show in which the actor’s mad scientist character explains, with grave seriousness: “When Belly and I were younger men, we regularly ingested large quantities of LSD.” (Cut to: Joshua Jackson’s droll reaction shot. “You don’t say?”) The recap series is a compressed, chronological summary of Fringeverse history, providing a clear, coherent picture of Fringe’s epic puzzle narrative. “It’s like a condensed Reader’s Digest version of Fringe,” Noble tells EW via email. “It will tantalize and entice Fringe fans, new and old, with the rich and extraordinary story we’ve been telling for 66 episodes, and prepare them for the ongoing adventures in Season 4.”

Which, by the way, begins Sept. 23.

As for my theory that the title “Past + Present + Future” is a cryptic clue to the newly created jumbled-up Dr. Manhattan-meets-Minkowski spacetime nature of the Fringeverse in the wake of Peter’s reality-rebooting quantum leap in the season 3 finale – and that the mysteries of Fringe can be explained either as a mash-up of C.S. Lewis’ unfinished final novel The Dark Tower and Stephen King’s cycle of Dark Tower novels… or as a fancifully odd adaptation of the two-part album series “Past:Present:Future” by the Dutch pop band Ch!pz — no sane individual associated with the show, including Noble, cared to comment.

The countdown to Fringe Friday has begun.

Twitter: EWDocJensen

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:59 pm

supermodel wrote:From Doc Jensen's column on EW.com. Jensen speculates a bit at the end but it is so convoluted that I don't think anyone will mind me posting it here.

FOX Launches New "Fringe" Web Series
As mind-boggling as Fringe can be, devoted fans of the Fox TV series probably have no need for a refresher course about the show’s now-elaborate mythology. Yet “Past + Present + Future” – a new series of recap videos that launches today at Fox.com – is worth checking out for longtime viewers (and is a must for newbies curious to check out the sci-fi drama in the wake of its acclaimed third season), especially with Dr. Walter Bishop himself doing the narration. The first installment provides a big picture overview of the series. The second installment – called “A Tragic Past” – begins the deep dive exploration of the saga.

John Noble makes for an engrossing, entertaining guide, his sonorous voice finding the right balance of gravity and wink. “Bishop and Bell were once the Lennon and McCartney of science, lab partners intent on pushing the boundaries and blurring the perceptions of reality,” Noble narrates, just ahead of a memorably hilarious clip from the show in which the actor’s mad scientist character explains, with grave seriousness: “When Belly and I were younger men, we regularly ingested large quantities of LSD.” (Cut to: Joshua Jackson’s droll reaction shot. “You don’t say?”) The recap series is a compressed, chronological summary of Fringeverse history, providing a clear, coherent picture of Fringe’s epic puzzle narrative. “It’s like a condensed Reader’s Digest version of Fringe,” Noble tells EW via email. “It will tantalize and entice Fringe fans, new and old, with the rich and extraordinary story we’ve been telling for 66 episodes, and prepare them for the ongoing adventures in Season 4.”

Which, by the way, begins Sept. 23.

As for my theory that the title “Past + Present + Future” is a cryptic clue to the newly created jumbled-up Dr. Manhattan-meets-Minkowski spacetime nature of the Fringeverse in the wake of Peter’s reality-rebooting quantum leap in the season 3 finale – and that the mysteries of Fringe can be explained either as a mash-up of C.S. Lewis’ unfinished final novel The Dark Tower and Stephen King’s cycle of Dark Tower novels… or as a fancifully odd adaptation of the two-part album series “Past:Present:Future” by the Dutch pop band Ch!pz — no sane individual associated with the show, including Noble, cared to comment.

The countdown to Fringe Friday has begun.

Twitter: EWDocJensen

Thannks, Supermodel! Interesting stuff! :thumbsup:

I think looking to Stephen King or C.S. Lewis is def a good idea, especially if any of you have seen some of the new promo art for the season! (Can't discuss it in this section until after 3x01 airs, but def the spoiler readers have made many interesting comparisons to many pop cultural references...)

I personally think this whole thing with Peter isn't the final mark of the series, but rather a strong turning point...I think the show is going to keep pushing the idea of being able to use what we have to recreate reality and to show us that reality in it's self is fluid and ever changing shape and only a type constant to our recorded collected memories of it.

But I also think Peter has to embark on his own journey. It's something I feel is missing and much needed transition to where ever the writers decide to take us after this...assuming that one way or another the characters will retain their 'past life' memory, making The day we Died have double meaning...That might be what Doc is reffering to in the unfinished Narnia book, the little piece that was left behind: The Lefay Fragment, and rewritten into The Magician's Nephew. However both seem to be about more than one way to look at nature.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Daemon has put together a handy summary of everything you need to remember from season 3.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 pm

FRINGE Shout Out on Person of Interest:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/09/fringe-shoutout-in-person-of-interest.html

For some reason the picture doesn't load for me, but incase you are having the same problem I posted a link to another source...http://ant.ag/2011/09/fringe-4x02-sneak-peek-shout-out-on-person-of-interest/

Kind of cool --I love Bad Robot...it almost suggest FRINGE and POI are in the same universe or that in another universe FRINGE and POI co-exist. It also mentions Charlie Frances pretty high on the list ---hopefully that means we might see him sooner rather than later...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:59 pm

Fringe's ratings are down from the S3 premiere, but when you adjust for the switch to Fridays the show is holding steady. From Airlock Alpha:
"Fringe" is back, and so are a few other shows that fans have come to enjoy -- even if it's not a large number of fans.

The fourth season of the cult favorite Fox series earned a 2.1 rating/4 share, according to Fast National overnight ratings from The Nielsen Co. That was 22 percent below what the show earned the year before, but is mostly even with the audiences it earned in April leading to its last season premiere. Some of the higher numbers for "Fringe" came from the fact it began the season on Thursdays last year before moving to Fridays.

Last edited by supermodel on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:14 pm

We're only four weeks into the season and already the renewal doom-and-gloom is starting. Lots of negativity in various outlets. Here's what EW has to say:
Fox brass says all the right things about Fringe: The well-written fan-favorite has improved its Friday time period, it’s the most DVR’d show on the schedule, they love the series creatively. But it’s tough for broadcast’s top-rated network to look at its lowest-rated weekday series (currently at a 1.6 adult demo rating including the first few weeks of DVR) and not at least think about making a change. You’re never 100 percent secure on a network’s bottom rung.

Last edited by supermodel on Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:41 pm

FRINGE 4x05 is being pushed to next Friday November 4th! - World Series Takes Over with Game 7!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/10/world-series-extends-to-game-7-fox.html

:cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Woongo on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:54 pm

:( :(
Not again.
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 pm

Warner Bros. Say, 'Season 5 Renewal Is Too Early To Call.'
Peter Roth, president of Warner Brothers Television, has said its still too early to tell whether or not Fox will renew its quirky cult drama Fringe.

The series, starring John Noble, Anna Trov and Joshua Jackson, is produced by Warner Bros TV for Fox. It is currently airing its fourth season in the notorious grave-yard slot on Friday evenings where it was moved to during its third series amidst much protest from fans who felt it would kill off the series. Despite a notable drop in ratings Fox still renewed Fringe for a fourth season but crucially ratings since its return have been down and already some are beginning to wonder if this will be the drama's final season.

Well Peter Roth has spoken about the future of Fringe declaring 'It's too soon to tell' if this will indeed be the final season. He told TV Line 'This is a show on Friday nights that audiences love to DVR, and as such we shoot up anywhere from 40 to 63 percent, when you calculate the Live+7. Hopefully that will be good enough for us to continue.'

It was a combination of Fringe's DVR figures and other underperforming shows that resulted in Fringe returning for a fourth season - will it be able to survive again on such figures alone? Only time will tell....

Source: atvtoday

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/fringe ... z1eczkpTJU

I think it was good to hear from them and they seem generally optimistic...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Fox Announces Mid-Season Dates for both New Series and Returning!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/fox-midseason-schedule.html

Fringe will be back Friday January 13th, 2012 in the same 9:00 P.M. time slot!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:51 am

Fringe Digital Comics -Beyond The Fringe: "Peter and the Machine" Will Be Available In PRINT March 7th, 2012!
http://www.dccomics.com/dccomics/search/?q=beyond+the+fringe&s=na

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Hi gang. Despite my track record of zero posts in the last three weeks, I did not drop off the face of the Earth.

From EW.com:

Joshua Jackson reacts to Fox's 'Fringe' warning
There may be infinite parallel universes, but there’s probably not one where Joshua Jackson was happy about Fox chief Kevin Reilly’s statements about Fringe yesterday.

For those who missed the bombshell, the Fox chief declared “we lose a lot of money on the show. But with that rating on that night it’s almost impossible for us to make money on it. We’re not in the business of losing money. We need to figure out if there’s a [deal with studio Warner Bros. that] will make sense or will this be it.”

At the network’s party on Sunday night, the actor wasn’t amused by the comments.
“He could not have been more clear,” Jackson said. “He’s not running a charitable foundation. And if the show is really not making money [then that should be it]. But the important thing to me is that our writers are given a chance to finish the show because it’s a serialized show.”

Reilly was also at the party and had a chance to clarify his statements from earlier in the day. Though he remained firm on his stance that the show isn’t profitable and that studio Warner Bros. needs to make concessions for the drama to continue, he suggested that Fringe could — and should — have a legitimate ending if it were cancelled. But he made it sound like that ball is more in the studio’s court.

“That’s a Peter Roth issue,” Reilly said, referring to the WB TV studio chief. “I don’t want it to go out with a whimper. We don’t want to fumble the ball at the 5-yard line. If it ends up being the last show, we’ll end up doing it right.”

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:41 pm

supermodel wrote:Hi gang. Despite my track record of zero posts in the last three weeks, I did not drop off the face of the Earth.

From EW.com:

Joshua Jackson reacts to Fox's 'Fringe' warning
There may be infinite parallel universes, but there’s probably not one where Joshua Jackson was happy about Fox chief Kevin Reilly’s statements about Fringe yesterday.

For those who missed the bombshell, the Fox chief declared “we lose a lot of money on the show. But with that rating on that night it’s almost impossible for us to make money on it. We’re not in the business of losing money. We need to figure out if there’s a [deal with studio Warner Bros. that] will make sense or will this be it.”

At the network’s party on Sunday night, the actor wasn’t amused by the comments.
“He could not have been more clear,” Jackson said. “He’s not running a charitable foundation. And if the show is really not making money [then that should be it]. But the important thing to me is that our writers are given a chance to finish the show because it’s a serialized show.”

Reilly was also at the party and had a chance to clarify his statements from earlier in the day. Though he remained firm on his stance that the show isn’t profitable and that studio Warner Bros. needs to make concessions for the drama to continue, he suggested that Fringe could — and should — have a legitimate ending if it were cancelled. But he made it sound like that ball is more in the studio’s court.

“That’s a Peter Roth issue,” Reilly said, referring to the WB TV studio chief. “I don’t want it to go out with a whimper. We don’t want to fumble the ball at the 5-yard line. If it ends up being the last show, we’ll end up doing it right.”

Thanks Supermodel!

Mr. Reilly has made many statements over the past week, first talking about money loss (and season 5 posibility might include "cutbacks", production downgrade, and less actors), followed by a pitch for us to raise money for season 5 (but no actual backing has been given), and then additionally he says that If this was Fringe's last season, he and writers both made more statements this week that think they could do it, but also noted that they would also consider finishing/extending it in either graphic novels and/or webisodes!

IMO webisodes might be a good possibility since Bad Robot has joined forces with FactoryMade. Statements had been made that this joint venture could allow Bad Robot to extend there work in various media outlets, ways in which networks wouldn't have total control or the last say.

It's nice to her Mr. Jackson make a public pitch. I am with him. FRINGE deserves to try and finish the way they want.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:26 pm

I think the hard part about webisodes would be retaining the actors. They are all so great and will immediately have a lot of new opportunties. If course websiodes are really short, so you could film like ten of them in a week.
supermodel
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]