[Official] Fringe Ep. 3.13 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 pm

"Immortality"

09:00PM

Discuss the latest Fringe episode here

RETURN TO LIFE “OVER THERE” ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 11, ON FOX

As the story shifts back to life “over there,” the absence of Colonel Broyles shifts the dynamic of the Fringe Team as they investigate a bioterrorist armed with an insect that has a taste for human flesh. Meanwhile, alternate Olivia is reunited with her beau, and Walternate remains determined to save his world but discovers there are certain lines he will not cross in the all-new “Immortality” episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Feb. 11 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-313) (TV-14 L, S, V)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth

Source: FOX

Taken from: SpoilerTV http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/01/fringe ... z1DgnvF3Kd

Check out STV.com/Fringe for Spoilers, Promos, Sneak Peeks and more.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:06 am

Pretty good, I was concerned with the spoilers on how TPTB were gonna handle this one. I gotta through this out before a complete rewatch as 'Speculation'...

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Walternate doesn't really give a damn about the child as much as he cares about the cortexifan research. Faux-livia is going to realize that Watlernate actually wants to use the baby as research. Which his twisted mind will justify as 'This child should never have happened in the first place'

Faux-livia will realize that either her, or the babies life is in danger, and that the only place she hide from Walternate is in the Blue universe since Walternate is all powerful in the Red...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby b3rt4 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:12 am

I actually enjoyed the episode. The ending was obvious and inevitable I guess, gonna see how it plays out.

I also really liked the guest star, his story was kinda sad even though he was the bad guy after all.

Great last line from Walternate!

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby real1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:21 am

Well ........... strong ep . poor Frank .

no comment .

9.5/10

:cool:
real1
Stunt Double

Postby AdamDHarris on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:46 am

b3rt4 wrote:I actually enjoyed the episode. The ending was obvious and inevitable I guess, gonna see how it plays out.

I also really liked the guest star, his story was kinda sad even though he was the bad guy after all.

Great last line from Walternate!

Who are you and what have you done with b3rt4?

I really enjoyed it too. Best of the second half of the season by far!

Adam

Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Show Competition - Supernatural.
Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Character Competition - Jack Shephard (LOST)
AdamDHarris
VIP

Postby WJames on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:13 pm

Great episode. Poor Frank. Poor sheep.Image Red universe rocks! :thumbup:
WJames
Guest Star

Postby Xindilini on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:42 pm

"You... were gonna marry me."

Poor Frank.

That conversation between Reiko and the Secretary was interesting. It kind of echoes how Nina is with Walter.

Very nice set up for what's to come. :thumbsup:
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:45 pm

"Oh!!! -Catch that bug! Love is the drug I'm think'n of!"

I absolutely loved this episode! All the crazy love mayhem just in time for Valentine's Day :wub: :P

OK The Seriousnesss:

This episode played nicely on it's title, the legacy of humanity. The ways we react when we believe our lives are coming to an end. The red universe in general harbors this fear of the unkownm the eternal instinct to pass something on to preserve ourselves in hopes we are never forgotten.

In a way the episode allowed me to have a bit more empathy for their situation, except for Walternate, who is proving to be the BIG villain of the season. But I am hoping that Walternate's and Brandonate's pride opens red Olivia's eyes to be able to see the currupt nature that fear has bestowed on their universes' outlook. Not only wouldn't I put it past Walternate to use red Olivia and child to blackmail Peter, but a failed attempt and some research could lead to the youngest cortixifan subject to date, the baby. Red Olivia could become collateral damage! --Of course so could Peter! :scared:

I truly felt bad for red Olivia at the end of the episode.

The Sheep: Thought the extinct sheep was interesting (of course the beetles were also), but it was a bit of a nod back to season one's viral marketing as fans unlocked Fringe case files, the first being about Sheep Patterns!

ase 0091 Evidence 0002 was released the same day as Evidence 0001, but is dated 7/25/08 12:00 PM. The page contains a video describing a strange occurrence with sheep in Iowa.

Transcript:
Case 0091: Satellite imaging picked up a rare formation of sheep on a ranch along the Iowa border three months ago. After questioning the owner of the property, we've come to the conclusion that this is no hoax. The coordination and quantity of sheep creating the pattern, leaves very little explanation. Reports indicate 10 more sheep patterns were spotted throughout the area.
Direct Link:http://fringepedia.net/wiki/Case_0091 [1]

The Fun Quirky Shipping!

Ok so I love Mona Foster! :wub: I really hope we see her again! She reminded me of Naussicaa Vally of the Wind, which is based on an ancient Chinese myth about a "bug princess"! -And gosh, all of those bug jokes! The alternate Olivia is SO silly!

And Frank! How cool was it that he is not only a virologist, but a CDC liaison! I kind of wonder if one of the Franks will end up with one of the Astrids! I would prefer a blue Astrid to red Frank combo, but I will take what I can get! :P

The only thing that I think red Olivia has going for her is Lincoln Lee. When it comes down to it I think he will help her no matter what she goes through. :wub: It would be nice if she would reciprocate, but it seems she has her heart set on Peter...

Even though all together they act like juvinile teenagers, there was something close about they way they could all joke with each other, something we don't get to see over here.

Anyways I am sticking to that the baby, or rather another version of it, exists in our universes. My number one guess is Nina Sharp, which would parallel "Ella" as cousins with a name pattern who originate from people of other universes. My second guess would be Sam Weiss, but I hope not. :PP

------------------

I want to exploit something further: I had just mentioned that Mona Foster reminded me of Nausicca: Vally of the Wind, which is about:

is a 1984 Japanese animated post-apocalyptic film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki, based on his manga of the same name. The film has environmentalist undertones and was presented by the World Wide Fund for Nature when it was released in 1984...

One thousand years after the "Seven Days of Fire", an apocalyptic war which destroyed human civilization and most of the Earth's original ecosystem, scattered human settlements exist isolated from one another by the Toxic jungle (Sea of Decay in the manga and the English subtitled DVD), a forest of giant plants and fungi swarming with giant insects, and other arthropods which seem to come together only to wage war. Everything in the Toxic Jungle including the air is lethally toxic.

Princess Nausicaä of the peaceful Valley of the Wind is a skillful fighter, but is also humane and peace-loving towards all creatures of her world. She communicates with the giant insects (particularly with the Ohmu, gigantic, armored, caterpillar- or isopod-like insects who are the most intelligent creatures in the Toxic Jungle.)

The Manga and Film are based on folk tales Chinese and Greek about a "Bug Princess". I forgot that Walternate's mistress, who is also Asian, I believe her name is Reiko, which is Japanese and means: " A loved child".

Could just be a nod to how important this child is going to be...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby HannaK on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:01 pm

Great episode, great title. I loved and hated the bad guy at the same time, which means I really enjoyed the 'case of the week'. :D

DarthLocke wrote:Even though all together they act like juvinile teenagers, there was something close about they way they could all joke with each other, something we don't get to see over here.

This. To me the first half of the episode was a reminder of how much happier AltOlivia seemed than Olivia. Of course that changed during the course of the episode.
Also, I never thought the writers would get me so invested in the AltUniverse, but they did. I love AltOlivia, Frank, Lincoln and Charlie together.
Oh and another thing: Walternate is creeping me out! The last line of the episode gave me chills, literally.
Two Sides wrote:I found the Juliet to my Shawn :wub: :wub:

"Words are futile devices.''
HannaK
Supporting Actor

Postby WJames on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 pm

DarthLocke wrote:The only thing that I think red Olivia has going for her is Lincoln Lee. When it comes down to it I think he will help her no matter what she goes through. :wub: It would be nice if she would reciprocate, but it seems she has her heart set on Peter...

AHA! So I am not going insane! On another board I wrote that Lincoln Lee obviously has deep, not just friendly, feelings for Fauxlivia, but no one registered it. He was ready to kill that guy if he didn't tell him the way to save her. From now on, I am shipping Fauxlivia and Linc... Lincivia??? :PP
WJames
Guest Star

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:03 pm

:thumbsdown: As Bart Simpson would say, "meh." This has to be one of my all time least favorite episodes of Fringe. I guess this pregnancy story line came true but I really hate that it did. At times, I felt like I was watching some daytime soap opera on TV instead of a good Fringe episode that kept my interest as usual. I was almost wishing that Other Olivia had been infected by these bugs by the time this one was over with. :roll:

Dislikes:

At this point in the season, I am really hating this red world and all it's differences. Some of the characters on this side have become routine and boring to me.
Frank and Lincoln's new hair styles! What is going on with that? A new hair stylist on the set??
All the red references...
The lab scientist with the crush on Charlie!
Lincoln as the new man in charge. It should have been Charlie, IMO.
The little pregnancy clues throughout the show..( "It matters what's inside" says Olivia to Charlie, the doctor with the test stick waiting for it to turn pink, the Queen beetle at the end and probably even more.... :whistle: )
Lincoln telling the secret to Olivia immediately! (Is he 10 years old or what?) I thought it made him look stupid.
Walternate and his mistress :roll:

Things I did like:

Charlie...I miss his character on our side and his competence and skills
Frank...What a great guy who really loves the Other Olivia so much
Astrid...Loved how she told the team/Lincoln that they didn't know what they were doing! I also loved that Frank thought she was pretty cool. :)

I can't wait to get back to our side of the story line once again....
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:29 pm

JacobsMom wrote::thumbsdown: As Bart Simpson would say, "meh." This has to be one of my all time least favorite episodes of Fringe. I guess this pregnancy story line came true but I really hate that it did. At times, I felt like I was watching some daytime soap opera on TV instead of a good Fringe episode that kept my interest as usual. I was almost wishing that Other Olivia had been infected by these bugs by the time this one was over with. :roll:

Dislikes:

At this point in the season, I am really hating this red world and all it's differences. Some of the characters on this side have become routine and boring to me.
Frank and Lincoln's new hair styles! What is going on with that? A new hair stylist on the set??
The little pregnancy clues throughout the show..( "It matters what's inside" says Olivia to Charlie, the doctor with the test stick waiting for it to turn pink, the Queen beetle at the end and probably even more.... :whistle: )
Lincoln telling the secret to Olivia immediately! (Is he 10 years old or what?) I thought it made him look stupid.

Things I did like:

Astrid...Loved how she told the team/Lincoln that they didn't know what they were doing! I also loved that Frank thought she was pretty cool. :)

Awww. It was just a little Valentines Day Madness. No harm done...Oh wait, there's a baby now :lol:

I personally think those guys are that way because they are living life a little more in the moment, because they now that there world is on the verge of it's end. It makes them a bit more ego ridden and silly, but at the same time there was something very 'family' about it. Like when people get together with their best friends from collage or high school...it's like you can't help but to revert a little backwards.

I actually would totally root for any Astrid-Frank pairing. I would love to get more involved with either of them.
I thought it was sad that Charlie didn't get promoted, but Lincoln has a lot of scientific-dorkometer expertise.

Another thing I liked is that even though there were these silly-lovey-moments, there were also these serious moments, Olivia being pregnant and loosing Frank, Lincoln wondering if he can really measure up to Broyles and he almost froze to death not to mention he pining for Olivia, Astrid's reaction to Frank when he said, where can I get one of those, and the fact that Charlie is alone. It shows that these guys might start taking harder looks at themselves...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Pretty solid, I give it an 8 or 8.5.

I don't think Walternate wants to experiment on the baby. He seemed pretty clear that he would not experiment on children. What is much more intersting to me is that fact that Walternate has a moral line he will not cross, and it happens to be a line that Walter crossed often. Once again we're seeing that things are not always black and white and nobody is necessarily good or evil, there seems to be some gray area (I think I wrote that same sentence many times on various Lost boards!)

But I wouldn't put it past Alt-Brandon. That dude is cold, there is no moral line he won't cross in the interest of science. Not even science, I think he has a sadistic streak. Also I think we all know Walternate will ue the baby to lure Peter back to the red universe. It will be a strong lure too, Peter grew up basically without a dad while Walter was in the psych ward for 20 years, and I think Peter would not want his own child to grow up without a dad.

Poor Fauxlivia. I think she was deeply in love with Frank before she met Peter, and I think she is still in love with Frank despite her new feelings for Peter. She is very sad to lose Frank. And now we see both Olivias are in the same boat. Which one will go after her man and get him? I give Fauxlivia the edge in this battle, whether she decides she wants Frank or Peter, she s not one to sit around and feel sorry for herself like Olivia has been doing.

I've never liked Lincoln Lee and this episode did nothing to make me trust or like him. Inability to keep a secret is not a good trait in a federal agent. Also not a good trait in a friend, by running to Fauxlivia he blew the suprise. Not cool, he could have ruined the moment for them. Mind your own business, Linc.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:00 am

DarthLocke wrote:
JacobsMom wrote::thumbsdown: As Bart Simpson would say, "meh." This has to be one of my all time least favorite episodes of Fringe. I guess this pregnancy story line came true but I really hate that it did. At times, I felt like I was watching some daytime soap opera on TV instead of a good Fringe episode that kept my interest as usual. I was almost wishing that Other Olivia had been infected by these bugs by the time this one was over with. :roll:

Dislikes:

Things I did like:

Awww. It was just a little Valentines Day Madness. No harm done...Oh wait, there's a baby now :lol:

I personally think those guys are that way because they are living life a little more in the moment, because they now that there world is on the verge of it's end. It makes them a bit more ego ridden and silly, but at the same time there was something very 'family' about it. Like when people get together with their best friends from collage or high school...it's like you can't help but to revert a little backwards.

I actually would totally root for any Astrid-Frank pairing. I would love to get more involved with either of them.
I thought it was sad that Charlie didn't get promoted, but Lincoln has a lot of scientific-dorkometer expertise.

Another thing I liked is that even though there were these silly-lovey-moments, there were also these serious moments, Olivia being pregnant and loosing Frank, Lincoln wondering if he can really measure up to Broyles and he almost froze to death not to mention he pining for Olivia, Astrid's reaction to Frank when he said, where can I get one of those, and the fact that Charlie is alone. It shows that these guys might start taking harder looks at themselves...

Sorry Darth, but I absolutely hated the whole thing pretty much. I know I am in the minority on this one but TPTB are going to have to do a good job of convincing me down the road that this was really an important part of the whole story line. I didn't care that much for the love triangle before, even though it was a clever idea, but now that it involves a pregnancy, I'm already hating the whole concept. I can't see waiting around for this baby to be born and dragging this out for so long. I still don't like the Other Olivia and especially don't after this episode.

We probably won't be seeing much more of Frank if at all. He made his attentions pretty clear by cleaning out the apartment.

I don't need more romance/relationship plots on this show but want it to go back to being about saving our world from this mad scientist Walternate and the mythology of Fringe.
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby supermodel on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:21 am

I didn't hate this ep, but I see where JacobsMom is coming from. As it stands right now, this is a variation on a standard soap opera storyline. Guy accidentally sleeps with the wrong twin, she turns up pregnant, and he has to decide between the twins. (OK, usually on soaps one twin is evil and gets pregnant on purpose, but whatever.) If we were in Port Charles, the next step would be for the evil twin to lose the baby but pretend to be still pregnant. Lots of fake lab tests and possibly a kidnapping ensue.

But have faith! The Fringe writers are a lot more talented than soap writers, and they might have an interesting twist up their sleeves! I do recall a time when I thought parallel universes would be a stupid storyline, and I was 100% against a Peter/Olivia romance until Sam Weiss' comments about the machine. You never know what could happen, we're not even sure Fauxlivia wants this baby. She doesn't seem like mom material.
supermodel
Show Expert

Next

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]