12/02/11 - Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

12/02/11 - Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan

Postby AdamDHarris on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey Guys,

Today is the first day I can say that I've really felt worried for Fringe; it seems that the ratings have plummeted this week, a time where a lot of fans are opposing the Pregnancy storyline with a passion.
The one thing Fringe had going for it through the ratings hell of this season and the move was the passion of the fans in the show and I feel it's waining atm.
Disappointing as I found this episode as a step forward from the previous few.

I'm beginning to worry, and if we make next season I'm almost certain that will be the end. :S

Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Show Competition - Supernatural.
Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Character Competition - Jack Shephard (LOST)
AdamDHarris
VIP

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: 12/02/11 - Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan

Postby Rosalind on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:18 am

Heres a link to the post on STV showing the viewing numbers, that Adam made just after the show aired:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/02/fringe-episode-tables-313-immortality.html

Have you got any more info on the viewing figures? I wonder how it compares to the other shows that air at the same slot?
I will be fuming if it gets cancelled- fauxby (furby :O ) or not.....
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 am

All shows were down, though. So it might look worse than it actually is.
I think overall the FOX execs can be pretty happy with these numbers on a Friday night. Shows like Dollhouse and TSCC did much worse in the past.

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Rosalind on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:44 am

Yeah, I think i remember them getting down to c. 2million :-/ ?
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby b3rt4 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:16 am

Yeah, the last eps of Dollhouse were down to ~2.2m/0.8 viewers and Fringe is still far away from that.

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby SmokeyD on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:27 am

Even though I orginally said that I didn't think I would like the Preggo story line.. I hafta say that I am liking how TPTB are handling it.

It's hard for me to think how a 'true fan' would abandon the show, and this quickly, over one story arc. Admittedly this one will have some long lasting ramifications, I just don't think it's enough for a true fan to jump ship.

I agree with those who are saying that this is probably a tempest in a teacup. Ratings were down accross the board. And the Fox exec's must have been aware that moving the show was going to be a bitch to begin with...

So, for me the 'Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan' will continue to be in the future... when TPTB say it's over :cry: .
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:34 am

I think fans need to try and see through the pregnant Olivia storyline. IMO it's a great way to keep everything moving forward because now there are all of these new unkowns, but that means that there could be several oppertunities to branch out.

With out doing something like this, FRINGE would have no where to go. Peter and Olivia would live happily ever after if they can use the machine to create life, and the red universe becomes meaningless because no body from any other universe cares what happens to them, let alone all of the implications since the shows beginning (Massive Dynamics = "M" Theory = MULTI-UNIVERSE) implies we may be dealing with several realities down the line.

I mean Alias would have been over in season 3 if people didn't sit it out and see what happens to Lauren Reed.

LOST would have been over by season 3 or 4 if people didn't wait it out to see if the Oceanic Six (ok Oceanic and five, Ben, Frank, and a kidnapped Desmond) would go back to the Island, let alone the original Juliet hate, the eventual Kate hate, and rabid way the love square was picked on, or if we gave up on John Locke and his beliefs after he died...

If you want story, then you need actual story. And if you want characters to be good, then they have to go through tough things so they can 'become' better.

"Suffering is natures way of strengthening."
"I needed that pain to get to where I am now."

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby AdamDHarris on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:56 am

hahaha. Darth, I have to say I love the new Charlie Banner you have with that Bug-Scientist. Amazing :P

Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Show Competition - Supernatural.
Creator/Runner - 2010 SpoilerTV Character Competition - Jack Shephard (LOST)
AdamDHarris
VIP

Postby AroundMyFinger12 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Well, here is a silver lining, CSI NY got a 1.5 (usually it gets a 1.9) while Fringe got a 1.4. That's only a point off so hopefully the ratings will go back up.

Not to mention with the new Justin Bieber movie out, I'm sure those people who watched CSI NY and Fringe had to bring their kids to watch the movie. :lol:
AroundMyFinger12
Stunt Double

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:15 pm

Rosalind wrote:Heres a link to the post on STV showing the viewing numbers, that Adam made just after the show aired:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/02/fringe-episode-tables-313-immortality.html

This is what I was thinking from these numbers for the whole three seasons so far. I am one of the few who really hated this episode and said I felt it was one of the worst episodes I had seen in all 3 seasons. At least "Brown Betty" had some relevant things woven into the musical storyline that actually pertained to what was going on and I liked it as opposed to "Immortality". The pregnancy seems to be a way to bring in more viewers who don't care for the science so much and gives more drama to the triangle romance. I guess I want to see how this will be used in the original story line and how it will make a difference in what is going on. I'm not giving up on Fringe but I was hoping for much more original ideas from the writers of this show. :(
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby SmokeyD on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 am

JacobsMom wrote: The pregnancy seems to be a way to bring in more viewers who don't care for the science so much and gives more drama to the triangle romance.

That maybe true, but I have a hard time seeing it this way. There were a lot of people who originally didn't want to see Peter & Olivia hookup in the first place (I seem to remember comments along of the lines of 'kindled brother & sister types')

I guess I would find it hard to think that TPTB would use a preganacy angle to appease the 'non-science' types in the Fringe fan world as I would have to think that those people really must be a minority. While a romantic spin may have hinted at from the begining I would be hard pressed to see how someone would just watch this show for the 'non-science' aspects...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:33 am

SmokeyD wrote:
JacobsMom wrote: The pregnancy seems to be a way to bring in more viewers who don't care for the science so much and gives more drama to the triangle romance.

That maybe true, but I have a hard time seeing it this way. There were a lot of people who originally didn't want to see Peter & Olivia hookup in the first place (I seem to remember comments along of the lines of 'kindled brother & sister types')

I guess I would find it hard to think that TPTB would use a preganacy angle to appease the 'non-science' types in the Fringe fan world as I would have to think that those people really must be a minority. While a romantic spin may have hinted at from the begining I woul dbe hard pressed to see how someone would just watch this show for the 'non-science' aspects...

Me too. I don't feel that the baby is just only some kind of romance vice, I think it's a game changer in more than one way.

It is with understanding science that humanity strives to find ways to live on...forever. Really the show is about that ---survival of the fittest, because none of us want to be left behind or forgotten. Weather we tell stories, have offspring, make art, write books, become teachers, we all want to be remembered and not disappear.

The possible ends of theses universes brings the fear of the unknown, or death, into the spot-light. And this baby is really a trigger for that, let alone what the child may be able to do, or what Walternate is capable of...Science is always about the future and where we can go from here. It's a way for these characters to confront truths about themselves, because change is everywhere and change is the constant--that is nature and evolution.

I also believe unlike our last baby in an Abrams show, that this one will be more important to the mythos.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby charliefan4life on Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:57 am

I saw that baby storyline coming. Especially when bowling alley guy told Nina not to be so sure Peter would choose Olivia over Faux-livia. I was one of those that didn't feel a Peter/Olivia storyline was necessary, but I've kind of gotten sucked into it seen she asked him to come back for her. And without some major catalyst to make it a difficult decision for him I think ultimately Peter would have chosen Olivia. Now there's several ways this story can go. My concern is more that it seemed maybe they were trying to write this as a last season if they had to with the culmination of Peter using the machine to decide which world survived. If one side goes that cuts out a lot of what this show has come to be about.

Thank you DarthLocke for the delicious sig!

Ian Somerhalder is my destiny!

I love you in a place where there's no space or time...
charliefan4life
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:00 am

charliefan4life wrote:I saw that baby storyline coming. Especially when bowling alley guy told Nina not to be so sure Peter would choose Olivia over Faux-livia. I was one of those that didn't feel a Peter/Olivia storyline was necessary, but I've kind of gotten sucked into it seen she asked him to come back for her. And without some major catalyst to make it a difficult decision for him I think ultimately Peter would have chosen Olivia. Now there's several ways this story can go. My concern is more that it seemed maybe they were trying to write this as a last season if they had to with the culmination of Peter using the machine to decide which world survived. If one side goes that cuts out a lot of what this show has come to be about.

IMO Massive Dynamics and Violet Sedan Chair's album "SEVEN SUNS" gives way to "M" theory -multi-universe.

I think the machine(s) can open doors to other universes and/or create new time lines. I think they have a plan if this would be there last season, but I think they are just getting started and that their intent is actually to get into 7 universes. ( There is a really great theory on Peter being "the piano tuner of earthquakes" on another forum---there are 7 basic colors in a spectum of light--a prisom, or a rainbow. In music there are 7 notes-strings that can be played into a chord)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Alex_Thorn on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 am

Hey guys! :D

So I'm new here, but I wanted to say that initially, I was really against this pregnancy storyline, because I couldn't see how TPTB could make it interesting, but now, the fact that I have no idea where they are going with this is making me really curious. I don't know, I can't think of any occasion while watching Fringe when I have been seriously disappointed. If we can remind the rest of the fans that we haven't been let down thus far, we might have a chance. IDK.
Alex_Thorn
Viewer

Next

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]