12/02/11 - Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: 12/02/11 - Pretty Bad Day for a Fringe Fan

Postby supermodel on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:35 pm

This week wasn't just a dip in the ratings, it was the all-time lowest viewership in the history of Fringe. And nobody tuned out because of the pregnancy That plot twist was not revealed until the end of the episode, and the average viewer who does not spend time on the boards probably hasn't been caught up in preganancy speculation, so I jsut don't see it as a huige factor in this week's numbers.

I think people tuned out because it was Friday night.

The past two Fridays I was out with friends, and I watched the show later online. No matter how much I want to save Fringe, I am not going to give up quality time with friends and loved ones who I only see on weekends. And I'm a dedicated fan who loves the show. So what do you think the average viewer is going to do?

The question is: what is FOX's breaking point? What is the smallest audience they can tolerate?

Ratings for Fox's "Fringe" hit an all-time low on Friday, Feb. 11, drawing 3.7 million viewers. That was on par with lead-in "Kitchen Nightmares."

It still managed to beat the CW's "Smallville" (2.3 million) and "Supernatural" (2 million), which were down from their return last week.

"Fringe" also slipped for the second week in a row in the 18-49 demographic. The sci-fi drama initially maintained its Thursday ratings since moving to the Friday night death slot last month, before dropping 16% last week and 13% further this week.

The top-rated show of the night was CBS' "CSI: NY" (9.7 million), followed by "The Defenders" (7.9 million), NBC's "Who Do You Think You Are?" (6.6 million), ABC's "20/20" (6.4 million) and "Dateline: NBC" (5.7 million).

Ratings were down across the board with the exception of the second episode of "Who Do You Think You Are?" featuring Tim McGraw, which was up 8% from last week.

CBS won the night in overall viewers, averaging 8.3 million, followed by NBC with 5.9 million viewers. ABC was next with 5.5 million, with Fox in fourth place (3.7 million) and the CW in last with 2.1 million.

Continue reading on Examiner.com: 'Fringe' ratings hit all-time low - Chicago TV | Examiner.com http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-chicago/f ... z1Dwn74FyH
supermodel
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

If friends are really friends then they can sacrifice an hour and watch fringe with you! :lol: J/K.

No I think a lot of people will just go 'out' as people do on the weekends. I agree it just is a matter of 'not the best time' to have FRINGE on...but then again what night should it be on where it won't have something else to compete with (no offence meant to smallville and supernatural fans). It's a matter that most TV viewers aren't interesting in 'thinking about the world they live in'. So they would rather watch American idol or a sitcom.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:07 pm

OK, here's today's roundup of "Fringe on the bubble" news.

From Digital Spy:
Fringe execs "won't be shocked by the axe"
The executive producers of Fringe have admitted that they would not be shocked if the show was axed.

Speculation has surrounded the future of the sci-fi drama since it was moved to a new Friday night slot by Fox.

"I don't think we'd ever say we would be really shocked if it wasn't [renewed]," Jeff Pinkner told FEARnet. "We recognise that every episode we get to make, we are lucky."

He continued: "We have lots of stories we hope to have the good fortune to tell. I'm superstitious enough not to expect anything."

Co-producer Joel Wyman added that the pair are currently only considering the show's immediate future.

"We've been in this game so long and you never know [what will happen]," he suggested. "You don't know from one day to the next. You just have to [always] hit the ground running."

Wyman previously revealed that he and Pinkner had been "instructed not to take [the possibility of cancellation] into account" when planning the conclusion of Fringe's third season.

And from Airlock Alpha:

Sources have been telling Airlock Alpha that Warner Bros. Television could lower the licensing fee for "Fringe," giving it a farewell season in 2011-12, and giving it just enough episodes to find success in other markets, like DVD and syndication. Outside of a miracle, don't expect more than that. "Fringe" is one of Fox's lowest-rated shows now, and is nearly 30 percent off its numbers from the year before.

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:20 pm

Here is an interesting (and hopeful) article that explains why the ratings are not the only deciding factor in whether or not Fringe gets renewed. The amont FOX pays Warner Bros to buy the show is also key:
It’s that loss-lead system that could help save shows like FRINGE. Since its move to Fridays, FRINGE has been struggling big time. Yet, FRINGE does well in DVD sales and iTunes sales. Throw in another season, and Warner Bros. Television — which produces the show — could make even more money by selling syndication packages. So Fox and Warner Bros. might be able to sit down and discuss a greatly reduced licensing fee that would generate potential losses for Warner Bros. short-term, but could end up with long-term profit through DVD, syndication and iTunes sales.

Full article at http://www.dvrplayground.com/blog/entry/22672/License-to-Renew-A-Closer-Look-at-Why-FRINGE-Fans-Shouldn-t-Lose-Sleep-Over-Ratings/
supermodel
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]