Killing Buddha: Being Happy Leads to Death

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Killing Buddha: Being Happy Leads to Death

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:49 pm

So I was going through and comparing the lives of each red and blue universe character whom have dopplegangers and when thinking about Charlie Frances, Philip Broyles, and even Nick Lane I started to see a pattern.

Charlie Frances

Blue: Is happily married, gets infested with larva, is able to remove the larva, Charlie dies.
Red: is not attached to anyone, gets infested with spiders, has to live with the spiders and medicates himself, he continues to live.

Philip Broyles

Blue: Is Divorced, but nothing physical or FRINGE related has affected him or his family, he continues to live
Red: is happily married, Fringe case had an effect on his son, he has died.

Nick Lane

Blue: started out infecting people he cares about, kills them, is alone, then is 'fixed', falls in love and dies.
Red: unkown.

My point it almost seems like that when characters are happy and satisfied and feel "loved" they become 'safe', but then they seem go by the way side.

Going back to Peters favorite book, I have to wonder if that is the theme, that maybe if people were just happy or satisfied there wouldn't be a need to exist. Buddhism often tries to teach ways for people to find inner peace with themselves, as signature Buddha sculptures often depict a heavy, smiling, child-like man --giving into this idea that maybe our 'inner child' is the best part of ourselves, but perhaps FRINGE is setting up some kind of eastern influence in the mythology. That there is only so far we can go emotionally...When I think about there are a bunch of nods to asian culture everywhere, from things happening in China Town, Walter's innmate from St Clares, to Walternate's new mistress Reiko (which means: A Lovely Child, which could be retranslated to: a child that loves)

the only characters that this doesn't quite apply to is Elisabeth Bishop, but perhaps that has more to do with the complexities of the Walters existence and the connection to Peter...although despite her guilt, maybe she knew just how much Walter loved her...

anyways just some thoughts...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]