If Fringe gets canceled...

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: If Fringe gets canceled...

Postby clydefamous on Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:05 am

I think everybody's hitting it on the head. Tv is getting it from all sides, the networks can't afford to make the shows, and then when they do spend the money people aren't watching. I mean Fringe has been one of the best written and most consistent shows on tv, but nobody's watching; its a joke.

Let's face it, NBC made The Event 'cause they needed a big show on monday nights. Fox is going after scifi for the whole family, dinosaurs included, with Terra Nova. It is what it is.

To understand everything is to forgive everything --Siddharta

Follow me on Twitter!
clydefamous
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:53 pm

WJames wrote:I agree that procedurals and reality seem to be the big thing now.

You Americanos are strange people...

It's crappy that we from the rest of the world have to rely on you people to keep quality shows on the air, especially when most of you would rather watch six versions of CSI and Law and Order rather then Fringe or similar quality shows. Thank God for blossoming of the cable shows who don't demand massive live audience to be kept alive.

p.s. I didn't mean anything of the above as an offense to USA, just that the best TV comes from you, but at the same time you have a nasty habit of killing that same quality TV prematurely in favor of no brainer type of shows.

Ya, I don't like that about us either. In these moments I pretend I am a women of another country. :)

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:38 pm

It's crappy that we from the rest of the world have to rely on you people to keep quality shows on the air, especially when most of you would rather watch six versions of CSI and Law and Order rather then Fringe or similar quality shows. Thank God for blossoming of the cable shows who don't demand massive live audience to be kept alive.

p.s. I didn't mean anything of the above as an offense to USA, just that the best TV comes from you, but at the same time you have a nasty habit of killing that same quality TV prematurely in favor of no brainer type of shows.

LOL. Check out BBC, they have some good stuff. We get a little bit of it on PBS and BBC America.

In other news, Fringe held its own int he ratings this week, not losing any audience. TVbythenumbers weighs in on the curent situation at FOX:
With 10 Monday-Friday hours to program (Saturday & Sunday have no effect on drama scheduling), Fox has these shows announced/likely to be on the schedule:

•House (1 hour)
•Terra Nova (1)
•Bones (1)
•Glee (1)
•Raising Hope (0.5)/ New sitcom (0.5)
•X Factor (3?)
•Gordon Ramsay cooking reality (1)

That’s nine hours worth of shows out of ten available hours. Fox also has six new drama pilots ordered, four of them would be produced by Fox.

Might Fox hold off on Gordon Ramsay for the Fall? Maybe.

Might Fox not premiere another new Fall drama (besides Terra Nova)? Maybe.

Might X Factor not be three hours / week? Maybe.

Under any reasonably likely scenario though there’s one hour available to shows not on the list above, so there’s effectively no chance that both Chicago Code and Fringe make it to next Fall.

In an either / or situation it’s not an apples to apples ratings handicapping situation. Fringe’s recent 1.5 rating on Friday is 71% of The Chicago Code’s recent 2.1 rating on Monday. That’s right on the 30% “Friday Factor” I apply to Friday show ratings for comparison to the rest of the week.

In the game of musical chairs for next Fall’s dramas, it’s not clear there’s still a chair open for either, but there’s certainly not two chairs open.

Both Lie To Me and Human Target are more likely to be cancelled than renewed. Traffic Light is certain to be cancelled.

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:51 pm

So this week Fringe hit viewership hit a new all-time low. But it was only a bit lower, and perhaps not unexpected in light of March Madness.

From DigitalSpy:
Fringe producer Joel Wyman has dismissed rumors that the show has been canceled.

The future of the Fox sci-fi drama has been the subject of speculation since it was moved to an unpopular Friday night slot earlier this year.

In a recent Twitter post, Wyman wrote: "I just hopped on and saw all this [speculation]. Fringe is not canceled. Some people love bad news so much they make it up."

He added: "We will come here first with the news of a pick up."

Wyman and his co-producer Jeff Pinkner previously claimed that Fox is still "incredibly positive" about Fringe.

Series star John Noble (Walter Bishop) also recently told DS that the show's chances of being renewed for a fourth season are "pretty good".

supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:07 pm

I read that today is the day we may learn the truth --as "renewal" meetings are happening at FOX this week. Let's hope we get our forth season. ::fingers crossed::

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]