[Official] Fringe Ep. 3.17 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.17 Discussion

Postby Notice on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:23 pm

b3rt4 wrote:
Notice wrote:I liked the COTW, I recognised the actress from somewhere, but I can't place it yet :hmm:

Deadwood, Sons of Anarchy, Caprica...?

Haven't watched any of these :lol:

Devil's Arcade wrote:LOST!

Totally, she was Colleen, right?

And she was in The Event! That's where I saw her recently! :)
It doesn't matter who we were... It only matters who we are.

Life sucks, and then you die. And then it still sucks.
Notice
Star Billing

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Notice wrote:
b3rt4 wrote:
Notice wrote:I liked the COTW, I recognised the actress from somewhere, but I can't place it yet :hmm:

Devil's Arcade wrote:LOST!

Totally, she was Colleen, right?

And she was in The Event! That's where I saw her recently! :)

They really made the most of her "Caprica" character, Amanda Graystone, the name Dana Gray are letters taken from that name. There were several parallels between her character and the show itself. IMO I think they are going to show us a reality much like Caprica (and Earth 1 and Kobol), 'futuristic'--->technology out of hand, featuring immortality and apotheosis, with the same implication that this reality existed before the realities we are viewing, and the characters have to try and stop things from repeating

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby b3rt4 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Notice wrote:
b3rt4 wrote:

Then you're missing out :P
But yeah, she was Colleen on LOST and Sun shot her.

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby supermodel on Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm

I didn't like this epi very much, at least not comapred to some of the great episodes we have seen this season. For some reason the MOTW but it just didn't grab me and I didn't care that much whether she died or not.

I thought Lincoln Lee was totally pointless. They could totally have done this epi without him, it seemed tht they threw him int here just for fun and to show that AltLee has a double, rather than for any reason relevant to the overall story. He had some nice scenes with Peter but he got all the good lines.

All those Peter fans have been dying for him to take the lead on a case, finally Olivia is out of commission and Peter gets to show his stuff. And all the good insights and ideas came from Lincoln. The actors worked well together but I think the writers continue to miss opportunities to write Peter as a stronger character.

And I am already over Anna Torv's Nimoy impersonation. For the first 5 minutes I thought it was interesting and funny, but after I while I found it distracting. Not to take anything away from Anna Torv, I think her acting was solid and she has Nimoy down, but it was weird and creepy and it distracted me from some of the issues at play.

I did like the way MOTW played against Bell's storyline. We have a woman who wants to die and can't, and I guy who has died but wants to live on. Also enjoyed Bellivia lecturing Peter about the inevitability of fate, meanwhile he is trying to avoid his own ultimate fate - death. Or trying to rewrite his fate, or whatever he is up to. Perhaps slightly hypocritical?
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm

supermodel wrote:I didn't like this epi very much, at least not comapred to some of the great episodes we have seen this season. For some reason the MOTW but it just didn't grab me and I didn't care that much whether she died or not.

I thought Lincoln Lee was totally pointless. They could totally have done this epi without him, it seemed tht they threw him int here just for fun and to show that AltLee has a double, rather than for any reason relevant to the overall story. He had some nice scenes with Peter but he got all the good lines.

All those Peter fans have been dying for him to take the lead on a case, finally Olivia is out of commission and Peter gets to show his stuff. And all the good insights and ideas came from Lincoln. The actors worked well together but I think the writers continue to miss opportunities to write Peter as a stronger character.

And I am already over Anna Torv's Nimoy impersonation. For the first 5 minutes I thought it was interesting and funny, but after I while I found it distracting. Not to take anything away from Anna Torv, I think her acting was solid and she has Nimoy down, but it was weird and creepy and it distracted me from some of the issues at play.

I did like the way MOTW played against Bell's storyline. We have a woman who wants to die and can't, and I guy who has died but wants to live on. Also enjoyed Bellivia lecturing Peter about the inevitability of fate, meanwhile he is trying to avoid his own ultimate fate - death. Or trying to rewrite his fate, or whatever he is up to. Perhaps slightly hypocritical?

I think there could be a point to having Lee there...because in this show the unseen usually means something...Someone I know asked, wouldn't have Broyles known of him, or other members in the Government agency through the discovery of Alternate Olivia's reports. Assuming that could be true, this was my response:

Well, ok let's look at this the other way. If this would have happened in the red universe, we know that upper level Government (Walternate and a few others) would have had Lee in their sights instantly, given it seems to have been the case with the Olivias -depending on if Walternate knew, or just recantly figured out, that Olivia Dunham is the Olivia that crossed over in 1985, as you could say Walternate may have plans in advanced using red Olivia to his advantage with Peter. Walternate might be so scared of the the counter parts, he may think the can beat them all at 'their own game (<---because Walternate thinks that this is the case-a brutal attack against him and not something else), he would want to use them in some way...try to get information, ect, ect, because Walternate is out for revenge.

So although this just may point out a deference in how the Blue universe deals with Home land security, because the reality of chaos isn't as imminent, and just plays more on entanglement (fate) of the characters, it could also be that they just haven't yet to take it seriously---or that Lincoln Lee was assigned to work the FRINGE division on purpose...because "they" are trying to figure out if he is important and relates to the current events or not.

There is also an ironicness to the episode. The red Lee has feelings for red Olivia...if blue Olivia would have been herself, we have to ask ourselves if there would be an attraction here too, and if blue Olivia would have been more receptive? Then I am also sure Peter would not have gotten along with him so well. IMO they are setting us up for something Lincoln Lee related.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby supermodel on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Good call on blue Lee-Olivia and the possibility that Bell's possession might have interfered with them "clicking." I like it!
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby Michelle on Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:30 am

I actually this episode, nice pick up from the previous 2.
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Previous

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]