[Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby WJames on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:35 pm

Good episode. Much better than the last three. I LOL-ed when Lincoln said ILY to Olivia. I don't think she will respond to his feelings anytime soon. We'll see. Darth, did you write it? :P Bug girl and Scarlie. :PP :PP :rofl:
User avatar
WJames
Guest Star
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm
Gender: Male


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:07 pm

WJames wrote:Good episode. Much better than the last three. I LOL-ed when Lincoln said ILY to Olivia. I don't think she will respond to his feelings anytime soon. We'll see. Darth, did you write it? :P Bug girl and Scarlie. :PP :PP :rofl:



Yeah :lol: I was happy they had TEA together and thought it was really funny that, 'we went out for tea.', is all that Charlie wanted to tell Lincoln about the date. :rofl:
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby Bad_Robot on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:57 pm

I haven't posted in a while.

I loved this episode too. More with every re-watch. Originally I gave it a 8.5 rating. :|
The whole cast did great, plus Andre (Henry). For some reason I thought we were going to get Alt.Jones this week. oh well. And I had no doubt about S4, it's going to be so full of Fringesauce! :rofl:

Great posting guys. :thumbsup:
~ It Only Ends Once • Everything Else Is Bacon ~
User avatar
Bad_Robot
Viewer
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:16 am
Location: Illinois
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby RexManning on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:44 am

Question about the 'Taxi Driver' reference between Charlie & Lincoln - that Lincoln didn't get.

Am I just reading into it too much but the last week there was a pop culture reference between Blue Linc & Peter "one of these things is not like the other" that Peter didn't get - because he wasn't a kid watching Sesame Street in the Blue Universe?

So was this weeks reference alluding to the fact that Red Charlie is somehow Blue Charlie ? Or that Red Lincoln is Blue Lincoln or that they are actually twins and one is in the Red Universe ?

Perhaps I just need some sleep :S

:)
RexManning
Viewer
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:01 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:57 pm

RexManning wrote:Question about the 'Taxi Driver' reference between Charlie & Lincoln - that Lincoln didn't get.

Am I just reading into it too much but the last week there was a pop culture reference between Blue Linc & Peter "one of these things is not like the other" that Peter didn't get - because he wasn't a kid watching Sesame Street in the Blue Universe?

So was this weeks reference alluding to the fact that Red Charlie is somehow Blue Charlie ? Or that Red Lincoln is Blue Lincoln or that they are actually twins and one is in the Red Universe ?

Perhaps I just need some sleep :S

:)

Actually this caught my attention too, but I ended up forgetting about pretty quickly. :P

*patiently waits for Darth to explain* :whistle:
Image
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
User avatar
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 2785
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 3:26 pm
Location: North Cackalacky
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:03 pm

Thirty-Fiver wrote:
RexManning wrote:Question about the 'Taxi Driver' reference between Charlie & Lincoln - that Lincoln didn't get.

Am I just reading into it too much but the last week there was a pop culture reference between Blue Linc & Peter "one of these things is not like the other" that Peter didn't get - because he wasn't a kid watching Sesame Street in the Blue Universe?

So was this weeks reference alluding to the fact that Red Charlie is somehow Blue Charlie ? Or that Red Lincoln is Blue Lincoln or that they are actually twins and one is in the Red Universe ?

Perhaps I just need some sleep :S

:)

Actually this caught my attention too, but I ended up forgetting about pretty quickly. :P


*patiently waits for Darth to explain* :whistle:


Yeah...it seems the red universe didn't/doesn't have S. Street!. --Some people think there isn't a Valentine's Day 'over there' either, but there is this whole thing with dates, where each universe may not be in the same year...due to different calenders ..the original Goergian Calender didn't account for leap year...so it's possible that red universe never established leap year, and then there for the red universe can appear ahead date wise, but really it's the same amount of time.

There is some speculation about Charlie. I've read that people think that this could be the case, but I don't think we know for sure since this is just a movie (TD), unlike with the forever serialized tv show for kids (S.S), because it's possible that a person just didn't see the movie, but IMO it would be MUCH harder to aviod S. Street.

However, I have a theory that all of these counterparts are like a split conscience of some previous soul...so when the timelines split into new variations, the souls split too. So maybe that when a person dies any remaining living may retain the memory of the one that died...Even with this William Bell, I have to wonder if he is a conglomerent of many Bells. (This idea comes from what the show runners offered as an explanation as to why some of the characters don't remember, even though I believe that they were conditioned to forget, I also think there is something bigger here--as "Trauma" may relate to the beliefs in Scientology and the repressed lost memories of the soul from Incident II".)

--But I love a good theory...so maybe there is something going on here, The Charlies could have been switched!...If I come across anything more concrete, I'll let you guys know. ;)

Also did anyone find the future Buddha in crowd?! --Remember Peter's book.."If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" --I am working on a massive Chinatown/Asian Culture thread, because it seems a lot of things are happening there and relate to Asian Culture....
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby supermodel on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:16 pm

I think the "Taxi Driver" reference was just a fun difference between the two universes. When Lincoln didn't catch the reference, Charlie went on to say "you know, Taxi Driver, directed by Francis Ford Coppola." In the real world, "Taxi Driver" was directed by Martin Scorsese.

Maybe that doofus Lincoln never heard of it because Ford's version isn't one of the greatest movies ever made.
Image
User avatar
supermodel
Show Expert
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:25 pm

supermodel wrote:I think the "Taxi Driver" reference was just a fun difference between the two universes. When Lincoln didn't catch the reference, Charlie went on to say "you know, Taxi Driver, directed by Francis Ford Coppola." In the real world, "Taxi Driver" was directed by Martin Scorsese.

Maybe that doofus Lincoln never heard of it because Ford's version isn't one of the greatest movies ever made.



Yeah, I gave that possibility...because in terms of occam's razor, it makes the most sense, because even here we all don't watch the same movies just because it's considered popular....and I forgot about the catch with the directer! :thumbup:
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby JacobsMom on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Also did anyone find the future Buddha in crowd?! --Remember Peter's book.."If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" --I am working on a massive Chinatown/Asian Culture thread, because it seems a lot of things are happening there and relate to Asian Culture....


I'm not sure if this would apply but Other Olivia did pass that person, in Chinatown, dressed in the costume with the mask (Buddha?) I thought that was really odd since there was no parade or any festival going on. It really seemed out of place but maybe it was just a nice reference to the culture. :unsure:
User avatar
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 pm
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 3.18 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:03 pm

JacobsMom wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:Also did anyone find the future Buddha in crowd?! --Remember Peter's book.."If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him!" --I am working on a massive Chinatown/Asian Culture thread, because it seems a lot of things are happening there and relate to Asian Culture....


I'm not sure if this would apply but Other Olivia did pass that person, in Chinatown, dressed in the costume with the mask (Buddha?) I thought that was really odd since there was no parade or any festival going on. It really seemed out of place but maybe it was just a nice reference to the culture. :unsure:


That's what I am referring--as a reference, but it's not just any Buddha...it is the one that is said to be coming...

Maitreya (Sanskrit), Metteyya (Pāli), or Jampa (Tibetan), is a future Buddha of this world in Buddhist eschatology. In some Buddhist literature, such as the Amitabha Sutra and the Lotus Sutra, he is referred to as Ajita Bodhisattva.
Maitreya is a bodhisattva who in the Buddhist tradition is to appear on Earth, achieve complete enlightenment, and teach the pure dharma. According to scriptures, Maitreya will be a successor of the historic Śākyamuni Buddha. The prophecy of the arrival of Maitreya references a time when Dharma will be forgotten on Jambudvipa. It is found in the canonical literature of all Buddhist sects (Theravāda, Mahāyāna, Vajrayāna), and is accepted by most Buddhists as a statement about an event that will take place when Dharma will be forgotten on Earth.

One mention of the prophecy of Maitreya is in the Sanskrit text, the Maitreyavyākaraṇa (The Prophecy of Maitreya). It implies that he is a teacher of meditative trance sadhana and states that gods, men, and other beings:
"will lose their doubts, and the torrents of their cravings will be cut off: free from all misery they will manage to cross the ocean of becoming; and, as a result of Maitreya's teachings, they will lead a holy life. No longer will they regard anything as their own, they will have no possession, no gold or silver, no home, no relatives! But they will lead the holy life of chastity under Maitreya's guidance. They will have torn the net of the passions, they will manage to enter into trances, and theirs will be an abundance of joy and happiness, for they will lead a holy life under Maitreya's guidance." (Trans. in Conze 1959:241)


Some may see this as "everything becomes one" and/or as "Balance-order restored-HARMONY"

Sounds similar to the FS in LOST and what we are seeing with William Bell...let alone all of the previous dream state related episodes we have had...
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Previous

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests

cron