What Does The Machine Do?

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

What Does the Machine Do?

A: It allows for Casimir Effect.
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
B: It Resets Timelines.
6%
6%
6%
6%
C: It Creates New Realities by Piece-Milling Fragments of Other Realities Together.
No votes
C: It Creates New Realities by Piece-Milling Fragments of Other Realities Together.
No votes
No votes
No votes
D:It Allows For It's Passenger To View and/or Experience Many Time lines or Time Periods so that the Passenger Changes Their Ways in the Current Time Period.
6%
D:It Allows For It's Passenger To View and/or Experience Many Time lines or Time Periods so that the Passenger Changes Their Ways in the Current Time Period.
6%
6%
6%
E. The Machine Tries to Accommodate Peter's Emotions and Attempts to Create and Present Realities Based on His Feelings.
6%
E. The Machine Tries to Accommodate Peter's Emotions and Attempts to Create and Present Realities Based on His Feelings.
6%
6%
6%
F. All of or Most of the Above. It's a Matter of Viewer Perspective of What Any Reality Really Could Be.
6%
F. All of or Most of the Above. It's a Matter of Viewer Perspective of What Any Reality Really Could Be.
6%
6%
6%

Total votes : 16

What Does The Machine Do?

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:43 pm

On With Season 4! -But I thought as we venture into the unkown the effects of the Machine, I started to think about all of the things we are going to see and if we could possibly be having a Christmas Carol like sanaro, where the machine is still only showing Peter "what if sanarios" verses, actually physically changing the universes, verses Peter just traveling to different time lines to gain information....and one day he may return to where we left off before he got into the machine....or not :hmm:

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: What Does The Machine Do?

Postby supermodel on Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:10 pm

How about none of the above? Or sort of the above - I agree partially with choice D but not entirely.

I think it is what Peter said it is - a bridge between the two universes. I don't think it allows the passenger to experience many universes, because I believe you can only go from one machine to the next. In order to go many places there would have to be many machines. Which I suppose is entirely possible, but I think you can only go to a machine and for now we have only seen two.

Also, I am not sure of the purpose. That's is, I don't think the machine causes you to change your ways. That may have been the builder's intention, but the machine just sends you along. You might have the opportunity to change, but the machine can't make it happen.
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:43 am

supermodel wrote:How about none of the above? Or sort of the above - I agree partially with choice D but not entirely.

I think it is what Peter said it is - a bridge between the two universes. I don't think it allows the passenger to experience many universes, because I believe you can only go from one machine to the next. In order to go many places there would have to be many machines. Which I suppose is entirely possible, but I think you can only go to a machine and for now we have only seen two.

Also, I am not sure of the purpose. That's is, I don't think the machine causes you to change your ways. That may have been the builder's intention, but the machine just sends you along. You might have the opportunity to change, but the machine can't make it happen.

Well we don't know if the machine purposely gives/shows you the most horrible "what if sanrios", if it shows you relaities that are probable based on how things "were", or if it is all at random...we never see Walter pull Peter's conscience out of the machine - which leaves me a bit suspicious about how the machine works, as this future may still mirror things that will be apart of the new time line, let alone what had happened in other timelines -Walter might have to currently (new 2011) pull Peter's conscience out of the machine...and that really the machines are like a network of "soul magnets"...We know the machine responds to Peter's touch, but it would be interesting if it is showing him these alternate realities because either the machine's original maker wants a better world ("If you can dream a better world, then you can make a better world" -Peter), and/or that it shows him things he feels he needs to see to test him in order for him to change, make a new reality, and try again....the machine could just be trying to translate his feelings into "reality".....but I think it could be capable of more than one thing, because there is more than one of everything...Even though we never fully explore it It would be interesting if in different timelines different people were designed to use the machine...and it created totally different sanarios simply because it's passenger is different and has the potential to start with different perspective on his/her own life...anyways enough crazy talk.

But,

BIG SPOILER:
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We find out from the new Comic, "Beyond the Fringe": that Peter took the 2021 machine through time via 2021 wormhole to the paleolithic period before returning to 2011 only to disappear at the end of season 3. So he did [physically] time travel while [consciencely] time traveling from 2021 to the paleolithic period and re-experienced his previous future's timeline's first person role - he left the machine parts in predetermined locations...and so he had all of these repeated visions and experiences that gave him more information about the past (The "a" storylines, such as Peter's arc, are cannon and "b" storylines will be alternate sanaros and not directly cannon )http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34546

Ultimately though I agree with your last statement --it can only "attempt" to make you change... :) (which I should have made clearer in my poll... :unsure: )

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:19 pm

I voted for the simple fact that we see the time line was "supposedly" corrected from the mistakes made by the Observers. At least, I think that this is what is suppose to have happened, that Peter's future existence was removed from that point on but for some reason the connection between Olivia and Peter was SO strong, that he still somehow exists in this limbo state we saw on the premiere. This is why December wants September to "finish the job" completely but he doesn't for some reason. I think that reason is that he knows Peter is still needed and that is why he let him continue to "exist".
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Ladye Rigel on Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:24 pm

Interesting poll. Gives rise to several possibilities that I had not thought about. Will the real Peter please stand up!
The Seven Sisters
Ladye Rigel
Viewer

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:17 pm

So to support my opening post with the Christmas Carol analogy, Wyman and Pinkner just gave another interview Q and A, and this is a small part that Pinkner had to say....

Some Spoilers:

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Does that mean the Peter we got back is the one we’ve known for the past three seasons? Or is he the one who has all that future knowledge in his head?

JP: [Long pause] Um, well, the answer is yes to all of the above, and it’s slightly complicated because the future that he was aware of — in other words, everything that happened from 2011 to 2026 — was based on Peter making a choice inside that machine which destroyed the other universe. So when he made the choice to not destroy the other universe, presumably many, if not all, of the events from 2011 to 2026 that he witnessed, changed.

In other words, in A CHRISTMAS CAROL, when Scrooge decided to be benevolent, Tiny Tim’s family didn’t go broke. The Ghost of Christmas Future, those events didn’t happen, because they changed the present. So it’s similar with Peter — he will come back with the awareness of what could happen, but that doesn’t mean that it will.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]