[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.02 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.02 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:43 am

"One Night in October"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest Fringe Episode here.

A SERIAL KILLER FORCES THE TWO FRINGE TEAMS TO WORK TOGETHER ON AN ALL-NEW "FRINGE" FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, ON FOX

As the victims of a highly intelligent serial killer "Over There" stack up, the Fringe Division "Over Here" is asked to assist. As the two sides tangle and innocent people remain at risk, the suspect's doppelganger "Over Here," a professor who teaches Forensic Psychology, is brought into the fold and forces the team to consider the notion of sending civilians to the other side in the all-new "One Night in October" episode of FRINGE airingFriday, Sept. 30 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (FR-402) (TV-14 L)

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

Guest Cast: John S. Ferguson as John McClennan; Enid-Raye Adams as Noreen Miller; Jordy Olson as Megan Miller; Benjamin Wilkinson as Jeremy Roman; Winson Wong as Agent Bergmann; Daniel Arnold as Agent Perez; Julie Schnekenburger as Margery

Source: FOX

Check STV.com/Fringe for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 4.02 Discussion

Postby DharmaLager on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 am

Great episode. As usual, amazing job by Anna Torv in playing both roles.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Ladye Rigel on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:23 am

Anna is certainly getting to flex her acting muscles. I have to admit I was surprised that she had such a range.
The Seven Sisters
Ladye Rigel
Viewer

Postby Xindilini on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:51 am

Really love how the two Livs compliment each other. While you may notice the memorization abilities of the original, the other one is observant about noticing the missing photo. :thumbsup: There'll be trust and respect from this encounter.

Add to that what Lincoln said, (Sorry, I can't quote verbatim) This has to bother you, sitting here while she's in there... It does her. :D

What it cost Mozart to compose this movement? His life. I've always loved listening to the Requieum since watching Amedeus. :thumbup:

John McClennans had somewhat parallel lives up until that moment in their childhood.

I want to be reminded of what Broyles said to Olivia about John in the hospital, concerning remembering what John learned without remembering the person.
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby Leroi22 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:57 am

Great episode, but seriously someone help me understand why Alternate Broyles is alive again all of a sudden!!!! :scared:
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Postby real1 on Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:58 am

Sort of ......

This episode had a strong theme ...... talking about memory .. and how to lose part of this memory .. a huge one which did interfere in one human's life ...... BUT I have these points :

- I like how both sides would like to work with each other .. BUT .. who's in-charge ? I mean for red side : Walternate then AltBroyles then AltLee then the rest of agents include AltOlivia , blue side : Broyles then Olivia then the rest of agents include Astrid and Lee , So my point is there must be an equal to equal ... Why AltOlivia is meeting Broyles and Olivia but not AltBroyles too ? ....

- I have to agree with Olivia that the other side can't be trusted .. how on earth Broyles did trust them to send Olivia without even mention any kind of guaranties ?

- Olivia killed her stepfather in this new time line which is why she is more trusting herself . seemed AltOlivia is really having a light life .

- "Not my type" :) I like that sentence too .... Olivia said it about Lee ....

-AltLee is still in love with AltOlivia while Altolivia is still with Frank .

-AltBroyles is still alive ? ..... maybe Walternat wasn't going to permit to kill Olivia in order to study her body , So AltBroyles wouldn't risk his life to save her so he is alive ....

-Are we going to see every end from each episode with Walter having some spots from Peter ? :sneaky:

Overall episode is good , Anna is doing amazing work as usual , looking for what's going next .

9.4/10

:cool:
real1
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Leroi22 wrote:Great episode, but seriously someone help me understand why Alternate Broyles is alive again all of a sudden!!!! :scared:

They don't say, but we have to assum Blue Olivia went to the other side and/or was abducted (she mentions being kidnapped) for something other than Peter (since Peter wasn't there) --My guess is that it probably still has to do with cortexifan, but truth be told we have no proof yet that the trails happened and/or Olivia was apart of them.

Another stark difference is that Blue Olivia killed herstep father!

IMO this episode took the hope out of the universes and put everything on it's head, because it placed blue Olivia role with the serial killer/professor...making her once again darker and cooler than before...

There was almost a hopeless fate in this episode....that happiness can only come from destruction and/or not fully remembering ourselves (opposite to Scientology)....that it might to be to late to help ourselves, especially if we deny innate truths of memory underneath memory...(Buddism worked like this --initially Buddhism starts out to be about denying pain, but 18 schools of thought later it becomes more about being able to aquire information and to have compassion and reach out to others to not deny pain, but to face it and start to make it easier to live with)

In other words it's a darn gloomy world with out Peter -- he is needed to light the way...December is wrong.

I felt particularly bad for Walter, because he thinks he's going nuts and is now in denial of the truth...he knows somethings wrong, that he here's someone (Peter!!!) cry for help! --But for some reason the whole thing scares him...he doesn't want to know, but the truth is Walter (all Walters) are haunted by the [their] pasts...

I liked that we got to see the Olivias work together, but Red Olivia can just be such a jerk! :lol: --But I think by the episodes end, because of blue Olivia's photographic memory and because she learned that Blue Olivia was abused as a child, that maybe she is starting to understand and be a bit more empathetic towards her 'bad twin'...

It was nice to see that Broyles made it over there, that red Charlie Frances still exists, along with the fact that red Olivia is still with Frank!

--One other thing I noticed...

For a long time I have felt that Nina Sharp is somehow related to the Olivias, whether a third doppleganger that comprises the presonality traits of both Olivias (beacuase there could be many many moderations to the timelines prior to these), or perhaps One of the Olivia's daughter....

Reoccuring names also occur such as Amanda ( Amanda Green, Amanda the Ballet Dancer, Dana Grey = Amanda Greystone, and Amanda who lived across to the street from Peter and blue Olivia in the possible future time line....the latest Amanda from "The Day We Died" drew a picture of 'the family Peter and Olivia will eventually have their future'...This includes then a little red headed girl as drawn by Amanda....

In both 4x01 and 4x02 a little red headed girl is apart of the events of the episode. (Robert's daughter and the girl left at the gas station)

In addition Henry is another reoccuring name...(Henry Jacobson, Walter's Uncle Henry, Henry Grey, Henry Higgins, and Henry Bishop)

We know that this reset essentually has wiped out Henry Bishops existence, but in all cases any future children of Peter do not yet come to pass...

In the new CANNON Comic Beyond the Fringe - Peter's arc pt 1, we discover Peter
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
went time traveling while in the machine, while in 2026 time line ---he goes through the black whole and starts a repeated journey to drop off the machine parts at their previously found locations --the catch is that some parts have to burried in different time periods...when Peter goes to 357 BC -he sees a pregnant blonde women who looks like blue Olivia

essentually there is this theme that Bishop "offspring" and or parenting seem to be the thing that gets continuely lost...

4x01 actually shows us Robert's family (which Robert is Walter's father's name, Robert Bishop) which he and his wife had two kids, the red headed girl and son...

4x02 just had a red headed little girl

my guess is that 4x03 will feature a little boy...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:12 am

Peter is there. He is in the dark and is trying to find his way back. Just as John said, "That even when it's the darkest, you can step into the light." I loved how TPTB wove the "idea" of Peter into this episode. We saw him appear last week but this time, he was even a part of the COTW. Just as our John had someone "help" him to survive, Peter too was the reason that the two universes survived. Peter is that person who left a special mark on their souls that can't be erased just as Broyles tells Olivia later at the hospital. Unfortunately for Walter, he is suffering from Peter trying to contact him. Walter is on a thin edge of sanity and the fear of having to return to St. Claires won't even let him confide in Astrid, who is still his best caretaker/friend. Hearing Peter's voice in the final scene was only the next step in driving Walter deeper into his anxieties. I felt so bad for Walter at that moment.

I never did like the red universe doubles all that much, except for Lincoln Lee. He is the one who accepts Our Olivia and even works very well with her on this case. Other Olivia came across as too over confident and it was nice to see that she goofed up with John at the house. As perfect as she may think she is, she found out that Our Olivia has a way to work with people on these cases. Our Olivia didn't need to manipulate or pretend, she just "connected" with John on a level that only she could understand, abuse. I think this really surprised Other Olivia and she was truly shocked when she finds out Olivia killed her stepfather in this time line. I think she believes she "knows" all about Our Olivia and this case made it clear she was wrong.

I wasn't exactly sure how this Other John was extracting good memories from his victims and transferring them to himself. I guess I thought this was even a little far fetched for the weird things Fringe normally does. I also missed having Walter be a part of this case to help us as viewers understand what was going on.

Favorite scenes:
When Astrid reaches out to Walter and tells him she will get him back on track once again. :wub:

Olivia talking to John in the hospital, fearing that he may have lost the only thing that gave him control and then hear him tell her he still knows what it is. :)

Good lines:
"Do you ever think that maybe your type just doesn't exist?" Astrid to Olivia :thumbup:
"It's a long journey and I assure you it will be more comfortable that way." Olivia to Professor John

Things I noticed:
The picture of the boy in victims wallet looked a lot like Peter.
Walter calling Lincoln.....Kennedy!
Professor John taking a sedative to go somewhere he is not sure of reminded me of Lost. Juliet taking her sedative from Richard Alpert to go to the island is now Olivia taking Professor John to the other universe.
99 cents gas at the station!! :thumbup:
The fun scene of seeing Walter portray the old TV commercial that TPTB set up for us with the music and speakers!
Other Charlie was on his honeymoon with bug girl!! :lol:
The size of that drill bit John was going to use on that woman's head was HUGE! :O
The half cut piece of apple that was seen in Professor John's memories is also one of the Fringe glyphs.
The Observer in the hall way at the hospital!!
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Woongo on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:09 am

I liked it better than the first episode, but it was still only okay. Anna Torv was awesome, though. :)

I think I'm ready for the story to advance already :|
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby Gary Troup on Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Woongo wrote:I liked it better than the first episode, but it was still only okay. Anna Torv was awesome, though. :)

This.

And I'm also getting bored of all the little wink-wink dialogue :|

"Those families are going to spend the rest of their lives wondering what happened to their loved ones, looking for answers. Can you imagine what that would be like? To have that... that hole in your life. "

“Did you ever think that your type doesn’t exist?”

"At the risk of sounding sentimental... I've always thought there were people who leave an indelible mark on your soul. An imprint that can never be erased"

...for example.

Come on writers, we get it. Now just stop saying the same thing over and over and actually go somewhere with it.
Gary Troup
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Gary Troup wrote:
Woongo wrote:I liked it better than the first episode, but it was still only okay. Anna Torv was awesome, though. :)

This.

"Those families are going to spend the rest of their lives wondering what happened to their loved ones, looking for answers. Can you imagine what that would be like? To have that... that hole in your life. "

"At the risk of sounding sentimental... I've always thought there were people who leave an indelible mark on your soul. An imprint that can never be erased"

...for example.

Come on writers, we get it. Now just stop saying the same thing over and over and actually go somewhere with it.

Their not going to stop for a while (which I also think the whole show is full of "double talk") --They are Flash Sideway-ing us (except I HOPE this is a corporeal plane of existence and not an ethereal/astral -death'/transitional plane) --and that the point is not to remind us, but philosophically state in FRINGE's mythos that there is continues trains of thought (conscience evolution) that is "innate" from existence to existence and that the writers are saying that the truth of who we are is under layers and layers of memories/life times/existences that keep getting transferred to new existences, because in this case there are people aware and behaive more as a constant (Peter/The Observers), trying to get to a point where a different outcome of some specific future events change...or to a point of acceptance (I often mirror Peter to both Desmond, but also Jack ---in every go around it seems that Peter has a hard time of letting go Olivia and essentually Peter is the one who sets up for the cycle to start again (See "beyond the fringe" comic Ch.1 about Peter Co. written by J. Jackson) It might be that Peter needs to let go of Olivia---but I am hoping that the ending for FRINGE will be the opposite, that sometimes we only let go for a while, because we have faith those things we love will come back to us, so there might be a point where Peter has to hang on instead...)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby brentoid on Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Gary Troup wrote:

This.

...for example.

jesus , the series is 2 episodes in & you're complaining that things arent moving quick enough??? i need a shaking head smiley...
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:18 pm

This is what a stand-alone Fringe episode should look like.

The best stand-alones echo the themes of the entire series and the main characters, and condense all of that into one short story. In "White Tulip" the main villain is a mirror image of Walter, going over the line and pushing the limits of what SHOULD be done, all to bring back someone he loves.

In this episode, I think the John from Over There is meant to represent Walternate and the John from Over Here is made to represent Walter. Both Walters have a certain darkness in them, but that darkness was all that was left in Walternate once Peter was stolen from him. He had nothing anchoring him to reality and any sort of happiness anymore. Only his anger and hatred and wrath.

Walter was capable of doing horrible things, and indeed he did, but overall his deep love for Peter kept him grounded. Just like Margery left that impact on John that kept him "in the light", Peter did the same for our Walter.
And then of course there is that line at the end of the episode from our Broyles that sums up the entire idea.

All of this is a bit on-the-nose in the episode, of course, but it's just a very cool way of telling a stand-alone story and keep it within the themes of the overall mythology.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:39 pm

Finli Otego wrote:This is what a stand-alone Fringe episode should look like.

The best stand-alones echo the themes of the entire series and the main characters, and condense all of that into one short story. In "White Tulip" the main villain is a mirror image of Walter, going over the line and pushing the limits of what SHOULD be done, all to bring back someone he loves.

In this episode, I think the John from Over There is meant to represent Walternate and the John from Over Here is made to represent Walter. Both Walters have a certain darkness in them, but that darkness was all that was left in Walternate once Peter was stolen from him. He had nothing anchoring him to reality and any sort of happiness anymore. Only his anger and hatred and wrath.

Walter was capable of doing horrible things, and indeed he did, but overall his deep love for Peter kept him grounded. Just like Margery left that impact on John that kept him "in the light", Peter did the same for our Walter.
And then of course there is that line at the end of the episode from our Broyles that sums up the entire idea.

All of this is a bit on-the-nose in the episode, of course, but it's just a very cool way of telling a stand-alone story and keep it within the themes of the overall mythology.

This Exactly! :thumbsup: :thumbup:

I also think it puts blue Olivia in a new light, or lack of one, because she is darker than before. She shot her father -she became a killer at a young age-so being with her doppelganger now is almost like taking her new character and having her come to a cross roads---

But I agree that this is also reflection of the Walters and a showdown they have yet to have, assuming that it's going to take a lot to change Walternate.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:17 pm

Why is other Olivia much hotter?
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Next

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]