[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.03 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.03 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:00 am

"Alone in the World"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest Fringe Episode here.

FRINGEY FIGURE CONNECTED TO CREEPY CASE ON AN ALL-NEW “FRINGE” FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7, ON FOX

When two 12-year-old kids bully another boy, they are found dead and in just hours after dying their bodies are shockingly in an advanced state of decomposition. As the Fringe team investigates the mysterious case, they uncover an amorphous figure claiming more victims. Meanwhile, Walter becomes increasingly distracted by his hallucinations in the all-new “Alone in the World” episode of FRINGE.

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

Source: FOX

Check STV.com/Fringe for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 4.03 Discussion

Postby Xindilini on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:42 am

Amazing episode where we find out what happened to Peter. Poor Walter.

Is there any reason why Aaron should remind me of a young Walter? I am impressed with their interaction. The kid's performance was so good that it reminds me of Haley Joel Osment at that age.

"I can't sacrifice countless other lives to save one boy." - Broyles pretty much sums up the series too. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby real1 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:26 pm

I think some of us didn't get the hidden theme from this episode .. which is "connection" , the hug meaning of connection can permit to do the impossible , and that's the case between Aaron and Gus , red Peter and Walter and Olivia .

Red Peter is trying to contact Walter but hunting Olivia's dream , Aaron let go the Gus but can Walter and Olivia let go Red Peter ?

I love how the writers are developing the story , I loved how Olivia rescued Walter and I loved how Olivia also having the same thing as Walter . :thumbup:

it's 9.5/10

:cool:
real1
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:18 pm

This one is my favorite of the first three.

Xindilini wrote:Amazing episode where we find out what happened to Peter. Poor Walter.

Is there any reason why Aaron should remind me of a young Walter? I am impressed with their interaction. The kid's performance was so good that it reminds me of Haley Joel Osment at that age.

"I can't sacrifice countless other lives to save one boy." - Broyles pretty much sums up the series too. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I def thought the same thing about Aaron...just like I can't help to think of Nina as being a another version of one, or combines-futuristic Olivia, or a relative like a daughter...I don't know if they just picked the child actor just so we could see Walter-esque with in (parallels for making choices, but not realizing the consequences---deep sense of loss) or if in fact some how these timelines (especially the blue) have been reset, altered, and modified to point were there are people (incarnations of) in places where they never 'should' be....In Beyond the FRINGE chapter 1 A --
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Peter before returning in the final sequence of season three, while in the machine in 2021, he actually also then time travels via worm whole and starts to put the machine parts at specific locations via the previous locations from the number stations, but the catch is he has to go to many different periods of time to do it...while in 357BC he sees a pregnant blonde women who looks exactly like Olivia and he says, "No, it can't be..." It's never proven that it is yet another version of her, but almost implies that it could be...

What I also love was the blatant LOST reference here! Obviously Walter from the beginning had made me think of Walt (who is really Walter named for Michael's grandfather) and then Aaron. So many times did I think we might see Aaron all grown up on that Island...and we nevervsee that happened. To some degree Aaron was a red hearing, but he was the force that drove Claire, Charlie, and Kate's story to climax---one that broke the cycle of Mother, Claudia, MIB and Jacob...as Claire could be reunited and live off the Island for a time with her son. It was nice to finally have a "special" Aaron!!! :lol: ---I also like the drawing connection he had to Olivia and that Olivia's drawing of Peter gave Walter hope about his own sanity!

Sometimes I wonder if Peter is another version or younger clone of Walter misplaced, because if Peter comes home and they decide they don't want to accept him, and that his emotions might be causing the connection of the universes --his love and loss of Olivia---but if his love is stronger than we think ("6B"), then Peter mirrors Walternate-he can't let go....(In Tales of The Fringe issue one, story A -Peter is torn about his identity--the savy buisness tycoone or the guy who can help others make the world a better place...it might reflect both Walters)

The episode also then mirrored Super 8, as a little boy psychically connects to an alien/E.T. and can change how it's feeling so it could go home. In a review I did of Super 8 made point that it already connected to FRINGE and LOST even with just the use of theological names, Shepphard, Bishop, and Lamb and that all three explore death and loss and family/special connections. With this episode it's true the episode was about "letting go", but I hope that it's not all completely about Peter's sacrifice and that Walter will agree with December and decide that Peter should not return in order for the timelines to have a chance....but I am hopefull that this will be a little bit more about finding other ways to do things and that letting go is only a temporary front, or that it only applies to certain things, and that eventually those things we love can come back to us...Maybe we have to let go of red Peter to unlink the timelines, but I am not sure if Peter letting go is a good thing...but I still think there is a bigger picture and that it's more complicated than this...what happens if Peter doesn't want to exist 'there' anymore?? :hmm:

I hope we see the little boy Aaron again, as expressed by Walter at the end of the episode...whether this episode alone, or another, I think what the boy represents a first step in (thinking also of empathic behavior from the child Observer in "inner child"--he could feel Olivia's feelings) an evolution of the technology of the machine. --On the "what does the machine do?" thread...I thought that it might do alot of things..."pull fragments of other time lines and add them (have the memory of those events manifest--what did I say, "computer networking"!) in some way back onto the newly created time line" and that "the machine is specifically responding to Peter's emotions/feelings" ---this episode with the psychic fungus has me sold I was right---the machine can do multiple things...

Another unexpected surprise was seeing Walter's theoropist from St Claire's!!!

He was also featured in the prequel comic book...Walter ends up telling him a story in which Walter and Bell built a time machine in the early 70's and when they turned it on, it became n'sync with an identical time machine build during the time of Nazi Germany. Walter and Bell travel back to this time and meet Walter's father, who is called Hans, instead of Robert, they get into a lot of trouble with the Nazi's but Hans help Bell and Walter out...they end up sending Hitler and the other time machine back to 'the time of the dinosaurs'...While telling him the story, Walter's pyschologist has him taking a lie detector test and it says Walter is lying....It's clear that these first comics were written to parallel the up coming story with the machines...but if we add the 'white tulip' mythology to it, it could be that 'the tales walter tells' might not be what happened in what is perceived as his current time line, but he might still have memories and/or dreams of others (<---Walter once said to Olivia that dreams might be insight to another reality...now Walter is astral projecting Peter and Olivia is dreaming about him, even though in this time line, he is not there...)

In addition where Aaron became connected to the fungus is at Hyde Park ---Hyde Park was also featured in "The Man From The Other Side" as Hyde Park is also where Chase River is and where the bridges from both universes connected and Walternate was projected to Peter and where Walternate walked through...So it might be that Fringe events--such as cracks and soft spots from other time lines still are in some way present, even when time is altered.

real1 wrote:I think some of us didn't get the hidden theme from this episode .. which is "connection" , the hug meaning of connection can permit to do the impossible , and that's the case between Aaron and Gus , red Peter and Walter and Olivia .

Red Peter is trying to contact Walter but hunting Olivia's dream , Aaron let go the Gus but can Walter and Olivia let go Red Peter ?

I love how the writers are developing the story , I loved how Olivia rescued Walter and I loved how Olivia also having the same thing as Walter . :thumbup:

it's 9.5/10

:cool:

Ya, I think it def goes back to "6B" --but I don't think I can stomach another Peter Sheppherd/Jack Bishop ending :scared: ...I hope FRINGE ends with new beginning and not stuck in a place that is "inbetween" places/lifetimes (Don't get me wrong LOST's ending IMO was perfect for LOST because of who the 815-ers and/or those who move on were compared to everyone else--they, except for Locke, didn't seek out answers, so part of their story is left to interpretation and mystery), but I think FRINGE has to go somewhere else, because these people are def looking and trying to take control to make their reality acceptable...It makes me think the blue reality is ethereal...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Woongo on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:39 pm

Loved this episode! :thumbsup: The story of the week was awesome and this time I felt it was a really clever connection to the Peter thing. And the cliffhanger was brilliant as well.

Oh, and I can't begin to describe how much I loved John Noble's acting in this episode. Such an underrated actor.

Fringe is back! :thumbup:
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby WJames on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:26 pm

The best episode so far for me. All because of John Noble, he really shines in deeply emotional Walter episodes. My fav is still "Peter" from s2.

Oh, the selflobotomy in the end was a brilliant touch from the writers, I was shocked! :scared:
WJames
Guest Star

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:13 am

"Alone in the World"

:hail: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: What an amazing episode!!! I loved the fact that David Fury was the writer and to find out that he has joined up with Fringe for the season. Excellent news and it showed how much writing can change the flow of any television series. Well done, Mr. Fury. :D

This whole story line played out perfectly to what Walter needed, a connection to the world again. He needed to reconnect with his memories of the son he lost, Peter. I was also excited to learn that my theory of young, Red Peter drowning in the lake came true. :thumbup: I guess I'm still a little confused as to why Walter doesn't see the resemblance to his son Peter in these reflections, but probably his time in the mental hospital can explain that away.

I got a huge "Little Shop of Horrors" vibe from this whole episode. Even Lincoln looked somewhat like Seymour at the beginning with his hair and glasses. Of course, instead of Audrey II we had Gus, but it was an interesting parallel.

Poor Walter was definitely on the verge of losing it completely this episode. I loved the fact that it was Olivia who saves him in the end. I totally missed that scene where she is searching for an answer to her mystery picture at work. Did anyone else notice how the Fringe Division office looked very similar to what we saw in the Red Universe? It wasn't militaristic but it did have the same feel to the other one.

The scene between Olivia and Lincoln at the office really was great. They both have this fun "geeky" look and she tries so hard to "connect" to Lincoln as the newcomer on the team. It was all so perfect when it came back to them in the tunnel and Lincoln is near death from the organism, then he finally realizes Olivia is going to be there for him, no matter what. He has found his new partner and that "family" he needs. :thumbup:

Astrid had a much better role in this episode and once again we see she is Walter's rock when things are going bad. I think it is her presence that always seems to bring the right answer to him when he is failing. Somehow she triggers his mind to find exactly what to do when he is completely lost. Astrid is the "William Bell" that no longer exists. I also loved her tears as she sees that Aaron is going to live when he finally releases his "friend" Gus.

But this episode was Walter's. The emotional roller coaster that this man endured through it was what kept me on edge to the end. I just can not understand what these television/Emmy people don't see with John Noble portraying this character!! :x The things we saw him do in this episode were truly inspiring. I know it is a "Sci Fi" show and all but who cares? Please give this poor man an Emmy after four wonderful seasons of acting.

Favorite scenes:

Walter and Aaron in their tinfoil hats having strawberry milk shakes :wub:
Walter talking to Aaron and getting him to release his "friend" Gus which saves his life.
Olivia saving Walter and getting him to release his secrets to her at last, only to find out they have a "connection".

Good lines:

"He doesn't have any theories sir." Astrid covering for a crazed Walter :thumbsup:
"I'm not losing my mind!" Walter fearing to reveal the truth to Astrid and Broyles
"I'm thinking flame throwers." Olivia :lol:
"And...you don't think you belong in a mental institution?" Aaron after hearing Walter's other universe story
"He'll die. You're going to kill Peter!" Walter messing up and calling Aaron, Peter.
"I care and I don't want to lose you, not again." Walter talking to Aaron but reliving Peter's death once again
"I'm a little freaked out. You want to talk about it?" Lincoln to Olivia in the tunnel :lol: :thumbup:
"It must be real. A shared vision like this and if it's real, we'll have to find him." Walter to Olivia :thumbsup:

On to finding Peter at last!!! :w00t:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Xindilini on Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:41 pm

Jacobsmom wrote:
Aaron is going to live when he finally releases his "friend" Gus.

:) Just realized this. Aaron's need for Gus is quite similar to Walter real friendship with William Bell. Awwww!
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Xindilini wrote:
Jacobsmom wrote:
Aaron is going to live when he finally releases his "friend" Gus.

:) Just realized this. Aaron's need for Gus is quite similar to Walter real friendship with William Bell. Awwww!

and of course Peter...that is why I think the machines network realities and act as a types of "soul magnets"

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Gary Troup on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:52 pm

JacobsMom wrote:But this episode was Walter's. The emotional roller coaster that this man endured through it was what kept me on edge to the end. I just can not understand what these television/Emmy people don't see with John Noble portraying this character!! :x The things we saw him do in this episode were truly inspiring. I know it is a "Sci Fi" show and all but who cares? Please give this poor man an Emmy after four wonderful seasons of acting.

This :thumbsup: :thumbsup: John Noble is such a legend :hail:

Definitely the best of the first 3 imo. I loved how the COTW linked into the whole Peter thing, never been a fan of evil plant type things though :lol:
Gary Troup
Star Billing

Postby JacobsMom on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:09 pm

Gary Troup wrote:
JacobsMom wrote:But this episode was Walter's. The emotional roller coaster that this man endured through it was what kept me on edge to the end. I just can not understand what these television/Emmy people don't see with John Noble portraying this character!! :x The things we saw him do in this episode were truly inspiring. I know it is a "Sci Fi" show and all but who cares? Please give this poor man an Emmy after four wonderful seasons of acting.

Definitely the best of the first 3 imo. I loved how the COTW linked into the whole Peter thing, never been a fan of evil plant type things though :lol:

I agree Gary. I think this was the best episode yet and it almost had that feel of earlier episodes from seasons 2 and 3. I was excited to see that David Fury has joined the show as a new writer because he wrote my all time favorite Lost episode, "Walkabout". :thumbsup: It seems I read somewhere that he was suppose to work on Terra Nova but left over differences. I'm SO glad he came over to help with Fringe though. :D
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby Finli Otego on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:55 am

Good episode, but a step down from the last episode in my opinion, in terms of theme and plot. John Noble is as mind-bogglingly great as always, though.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:20 am

JacobsMom wrote:
Gary Troup wrote:

I agree Gary. I think this was the best episode yet and it almost had that feel of earlier episodes from seasons 2 and 3. I was excited to see that David Fury has joined the show as a new writer because he wrote my all time favorite Lost episode, "Walkabout". :thumbsup: It seems I read somewhere that he was suppose to work on Terra Nova but left over differences. I'm SO glad he came over to help with Fringe though. :D

I'm with you two! This episode was one of the best ones, my favorite of the season so far, and I was pretty glad to learn that Fury had joined FRINGE's writing team! :) (There were some really great eps of "24" he wrote too!)

John Noble deserves a golden globe and not just an Emmy! He constantly reminds me of what FRINGE is really about...the recovery of a fractured man...it's so strange to think that a reset could parallel a broken character whom now seems even more set back and to see if there is somehow more of a silver lining because of the willingness to do so (be set back)...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]