[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.04 Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Fringe Ep. 4.04 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:31 am

"Subject 9"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest Fringe Episode here.

WALTER'S PAST HAS POWERFUL CONSEQUENCES IN THE PRESENT ON AN ALL-NEW "FRINGE" FRIDAY, OCTOBER 14, ON FOX

Olivia uncovers a dangerous force that may be connected to Walter's past experiments with the drug Cortexiphan. Their investigation forces Walter to leave the lab for the first time in years as he and Olivia head to Massive Dynamic in New York to examine old case files. Walter struggles with life outside the lab as he comes face-to-face with the demons of his past in the all-new "Subject 9" episode of FRINGE airing Friday, Oct. 14 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

Cast: Anna Torv as Olivia Dunham; Joshua Jackson as Peter Bishop; John Noble as Walter Bishop; Lance Reddick as Phillip Broyles; Blair Brown as Nina Sharp; Jasika Nicole as Astrid Farnsworth; Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee

Source: FOX

Check STV.com/Fringe for Spoilers.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Fringe Ep. 4.04 Discussion

Postby Xindilini on Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:42 am

I expected Peter to come back a little different. I do think that would have been just as interesting. :roll:

"My wife used to say I was a man of contradiction." - Walter - He is more so now. Two men contradicting each other. :P

A close mother-daughter relationship between Nina and Olivia. :lol:

The facts in this episode suggested some things. :hmm:
- Events of "Jacksonville" did not happen. Olivia's ability to see things from over there were not activated.
- Events of "There's More Than One of Everything" did not happen. No one went back to Reiden Lake to stop David Robert Jones from crossing over. Perhaps Olivia was not pulled over by William Bell either.
- The Secretary did not cross over.
- Olivia hasn't manifested any abilities in adulthood.

Anyone catch this? Olivia cites to the detective that Broyles was her division chief and indicated someone who was his boss. Who is this boss who has the 'blanket authority' that gives Olivia unlimited access?
Xindilini
Stunt Double

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:38 pm

Xindilini wrote:
Anyone catch this? Olivia cites to the detective that Broyles was her division chief and indicated someone who was his boss. Who is this boss who has the 'blanket authority' that gives Olivia unlimited access?

Ya! I am, expecting it to be someone we know...or maybe someone we should have met in season 1 and didn't (remember in the earlier episodes it seemed like Nina and Broyles belonged to a whole board of people?!) --but the most likely person would be Stanford Harris, since he became Broyles boss before...(but what would his agenda be if he can't turn on the cortexifaners???)

I thought the episode was great! But I am confused about the reality and/or the nature of the timeline(s)...

Olivia says that Walter hasn't been out of the lab in 3 years...

So either:

1. It's 2014 (3 years later than 2011 which is when it was the when the machines were turned on in the other universes...

2. It's 2011 still, but the machine was now turned on in 2009...and somehow all of the Fringe events that have in some way repeated from the previous timelines, happened during and/or before 2009, because I thought Olivia said that she lost John also 3 years ago....because it would have to be turning on for those same reasons...or have the reasons not happened yet?---see next number.

3. This episode got into something similar that LOST did in "Because you Left" and "Follow the Leader"...It's like cassimar effect is creating time folds (repeated use of previous memory as "filler" to link bits of time together)....when Peter tried to reach out to Olivia time was "normal", but then it reset a few minutes back...Walter was able to see what was going to happen to Olivia before it happened from the feedback...Walter later mentions something like we could see the effect before the cause... and so I have to wonder if this reality is all jumbled up for some reason? this also suggests that there is still at least short term pre-determination as well...but maybe Peter "makes" it that way?

3b: -The reality is distorted and caused a type of amnesia to the events of the Machines and no one "really" knows how or when it was turned on...they don't quite remember being there...going with the 'events before the cause' maybe there are loads of things that have happened, but the explanations are "lost" until Peter arrives...

4. --but thinking about Peter and machine and last weeks boy Aaron and "Gus", I have to wonder if this reality isn't the reality Peter was trying to return to????? -If he went to a random parallel universe(s) because that Olivia and that Walter is SO SO sad? --and he needs to network it back onto the reality he left behind...Obviously the biggest problem with that is that the Observers are acting like this reality continues from the previous one, but who's to say that this is just something they were dealing with some other time and it just "appears" that way simply because this is what happens to Peter every time he uses the machine....he gets lost in time, but he is also networking time???

4b.--but it would be weird if this new realty was actually created/existed BEFORE the one(s) we have seen (seasons 1-3)??? and he just could do it because there are "other" machines turned on there??? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: and he had to go back there to finish something...Thinking of Felicity here (felieicy is in the same reality/time line all the way till the last 5 episodes...she travels to the past and the reality is altered...she eventually finds a way back to the future, but the kicker is that in the final scenes we learn that the reality she returned to isn't the original reality she came from, as a character that was dead is alive and with a former boyfriend) ...I could see 4b being the case....but whatever it is there is something not simple or right with it!!

Ha and now I found out what episode 4x06 title is and def goes with LOST's "Because you left"
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
And Those You left Behind
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Gary Troup on Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:49 pm

I think every episode has gotten progressively better this season :thumbup:

The scene where Walter trashed his hotel room was brilliant, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. John Noble still continues to astound me.

The guy who played Cameron was great too, in my opinion. Cameron James....James Cameron...probably nothing :lol:

No Lincoln though :(
Gary Troup
Star Billing

Postby Woongo on Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:17 pm

Great episode again! It keeps getting better :thumbup:

The CGI of the blue energy ball of Peter was really good. Not over the top, just enough to make it "otherwordly" and mysterious.

I like how they are developing Walter and Olivia's relationship this season. They have a great chemistry together. And yeah, Walter trashing the room was brilliant. :lol:

And PETER! I loved the fact that he appeared in Reiden Lake and not somewhere else. I wonder if Olivia and everyone else will eventually remember Peter or will they have to develop their relationship all over again? :hmm:
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

Woongo
Supporting Actor

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:02 pm

Woongo wrote:Great episode again! It keeps getting better :thumbup:

The CGI of the blue energy ball of Peter was really good. Not over the top, just enough to make it "otherwordly" and mysterious.

I like how they are developing Walter and Olivia's relationship this season. They have a great chemistry together. And yeah, Walter trashing the room was brilliant. :lol:

And PETER! I loved the fact that he appeared in Reiden Lake and not somewhere else. I wonder if Olivia and everyone else will eventually remember Peter or will they have to develop their relationship all over again? :hmm:

Yeah Red Peter-2 died in the place that Red Peter-1 was reborn! :scared:

I think the machines do not just created bridges between parallel universes...I think it also can bridge pairs of parallel universes together...

"Alone in The World" - Transcript

WALTER: (explains to the two agents) My initial hypothesis was entirely wrong. These are not colonies of fungi. I now believe that-- that this is a single organism, one with rapidly evolving communication skills, enabling it to form a psychic bond with the boy. You see these? I believe that each of these fungal masses is the equivalent to a neuron, a brain cell, and these tendrils are linking them together, essentially dendrites and synapses. The organism is a vast neural network.
AGENT LEE: Wait, you're telling me that this whole thing, all of it, is one big giant brain?
WALTER: That's exactly what I'm saying. Agent Lee, Gus is a growing, evolving mind.
OLIVIA: Gus?
WALTER: Well, I thought that since it's a single living entity that perhaps we should name it for the sake of clarity.
OLIVIA: Okay, so the reason that Aaron wasn't affected when we destroyed the fungi in the morgue--
WALTER: Was because the colony growing there was unable to connect to the network, and until it could, it was a mindless appendage.
AGENT LEE: That's why it was heading down the drain-- to try and connect with Gus.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby rtterry3225 on Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:31 pm

This was one of the questions that got answered by @jeffpinkner on twitter Friday night on the live tweet session. He basically said that the person was The President of the United States. Well his exact answer was "The President" so hope that helps with any question you may have about that. (Of course that doesn't necessarily mean Obama in this new universe), for all we know Peter's influence might even have effected that. Who knows?
For: Haven and Fringe

Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on FaceBook!
rtterry3225
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:57 pm

rtterry3225 wrote:

This was one of the questions that got answered by @jeffpinkner on twitter Friday night on the live tweet session. He basically said that the person was The President of the United States. Well his exact answer was "The President" so hope that helps with any question you may have about that. (Of course that doesn't necessarily mean Obama in this new universe), for all we know Peter's influence might even have effected that. Who knows?

Really?! ---Well maybe Harris is the president...I just can't imagine them mentioning Broyles boss unless we were going to meet him..

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:31 pm

"Subject 9"

Another great episode!! :w00t: It also left us at a place where we can mull over the last 4 episodes while we get that annoying 2 week break. :lol:

It seemed to me that Peter was trying to accumulate enough energy(?) to cross back into this new time line. By the time they reached the power grid to supposedly neutralize this blue thing, I think it is exactly the place where Peter needed that extra boost to get him back where he belongs. I loved the fact that he came to surface at Reiden Lake because that is the point where he left after he drowned all those years ago in this time line. :thumbsup:

Olivia has been Walter's surrogate "Peter" in this time line. She is now the one to have to deal with those weird tics and phobias but she also knows he is her family even though she didn't say it out loud. I was a little surprised at the implication that Nina became a "mother" to Olivia. Maybe when Olivia ran from the trials that day in Jacksonville and there was no "Peter" to talk to her out in the tulip field, this was a point where Nina stepped in and became Olivia's new family. We know that the step father was killed by Olivia but haven't heard anything about her mother up to this point.

Nina is definitely different in this time line. She has a sort of cut throat persona this time around. Massive Dynamics has become more of what we envisioned William Bell controlled in the last time line, only we have Nina at the helm. Walter sure doesn't like her! :lol: I think about how before we saw MD take in the cortexiphan adults and help them to recuperate but I don't see that happening this time around.

I think the time difference was just that....a small difference in the time line between where Peter is and this new one. He isn't quite "in sync" with what is going on so he keeps messing up the time frames. Either he resets them as in Olivia's apartment when she got two 6:00 am alarms on her clock or like Walter, he saw those events occur before they actually occurred in this time line. Walter saw them in Peter's time frame instead.

One thing I keep thinking about, especially when I see The Observer watching at the lake is what consequence is there for him not doing what December told him to do? :hmm: He knows he was suppose to completely remove Peter once and for all using his machine he made, but he didn't. I hope we get some insight about this.

Lots of good scenes too but my favorites are:

When Olivia "saves" Walter from his phobias at the hotel room and then knew what Walter needed, leave this place for of course, ice cream/root beer floats. :wub:

At the cafe when Walter reveals he has snooped and read the letter from Dr. Sumner, and his worst fear has come true...his behaviors out way his "value". :(

When Cameron/Richard recognizes "Olive". :wub: Then he explains to them what kind of horrible life he has been living for the last 25 years. :(

Good lines:

"We create technology. How it's used is NOT our concern." Nina
"Her voice goes right into my inner ear and rattles around like razor blades, of course I heard her!" Walter

Episode stuff:

Peter/Blue energy mass saves Olivia from having the car hit her in the street

I figured it was the Presidents name on the sheet below Broyles name since we heard last season about Broyles playing golf with him! Besides, who else would have an even higher authority with the special Fringe division? :)

Olivia said this thing has a purpose and it did, the purpose of Peter trying to cross over to this place with Olivia's help :D

Imaging that poor girls metal fillings being pulled from her mouth! :O

The look of relief on Walter's face when he reads the verdict on Olivia's letter :thumbup:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby real1 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:41 am

Indeed it's one of my fav episode :thumbup:

Like you all i loved every bit from this episode , the relationship between Olivia and Walter was very very very touching , but i still do thinking about what Cameron said to Olivia : that she maybe the one who's doing that energy :hmm: , Olivia helped red-Peter with out knowing who he is .. just FEELING ............YES! :wub:

And Peter is back ... :thumbsup:

Anna and John should get their emmeys already .

9.7/10

:cool:
real1
Stunt Double

Postby supermodel on Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:42 pm

I liked this ep and I do think it is getting better each week. Although I liked all the ideas in this episode I didn't love the execution. Not a fan of the blue CGI ball, I think that could have been done a bit better, and I didn't love the way Walter "solved" things. But those are quibbles and it was generally good.

September is the worst Observer ever. He is supposed to just observe, and instead he interferes and saves Peter back in the original timeline. So then then when things are back on track, they tell him he better fix everything and wipe Peter out, and he fails to do that. What does it take to get fired from being an Observer? Clearly Spetember has an agenda and he wants "our" Peter to live, but what is his endgame and how long with the rest of the Observers let him just do whatever he wants?
supermodel
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:30 am

supermodel wrote:I liked this ep and I do think it is getting better each week. Although I liked all the ideas in this episode I didn't love the execution. Not a fan of the blue CGI ball, I think that could have been done a bit better, and I didn't love the way Walter "solved" things. But those are quibbles and it was generally good.

September is the worst Observer ever. He is supposed to just observe, and instead he interferes and saves Peter back in the original timeline. So then then when things are back on track, they tell him he better fix everything and wipe Peter out, and he fails to do that. What does it take to get fired from being an Observer? Clearly Spetember has an agenda and he wants "our" Peter to live, but what is his endgame and how long with the rest of the Observers let him just do whatever he wants?

I think the CGI ball makes sense since it is similar to the death of William Bell (Blue Bundle of energy). It also goes with all of this promo and comic art we have been seeing for 3 years.

I am not convinced anymore that this time is the time (the reality) we left in season 3 finale...I think Alone in the World gave the plot away with the idea that there could be other "mindless fungus" out there that can network into a mindful one....Peter might have went to another set of parallel universes for some specific reason. Either the Observers don't mean exactly what they say, or given that this reality could be a previous iteration, it's possible that they don't understand what's going on, or that these are the Observers of another reality and they are also not considered current.

But in any situation I 100% agree :thumbup: ...September cares about Peter and he may be able to see beyond the perspective of the other Observers!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]