Beyond The Fringe Comic Series Discussion

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Beyond The Fringe Comic Series Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:37 pm

Now we know what happened to Peter Bishop after he disappeared from history in last May’s season finale of Fringe — he took a job writing comics.

In advance of the Fox’s sci-fi saga’s season four premiere on Friday (9/8c PM), DC Entertainment is launching Beyond The Fringe, a new comic book series that fans of the show can buy for 99 cents via digital download. The first installment — available this afternoon at read.dccomics.com — is written by Joshua Jackson himself and drawn Jorge Jimenez. (Cover art is by Drew Johnson.) New issues will post every two weeks and will alternate between “A storylines” and “B storylines.” The former will explore uncharted regions of the show’s mythology; the latter will feature “what if?” tales that imagine variations of events and adventures.

Jackson’s three-part “A” arc is entitled “Peter and The Machine” and takes place between the events depicted in the season three finale and the forthcoming season premiere. DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Television supplied EW with a two-page excerpt from the comic, sans captions and word balloons. However, since we watch Fringe wayyy too closely, we might surmise the context.http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/09/fringe ... n-new.html

Issue One Chapter A : Peter and the Machine Part 1

During Peter's trip time traveling while being in the 2011 blue machine, Peter's 2021 adventure expands as he decides he is suppose to go through the black hole in central park and take the machine back to the paleolithic period to dismantle the machine leaving pieces in certain locations [re]provided by the previous number stations. The catch is that Peter's machine is to be dismantled and placed in more than one time period and so he begins flashing through time...

During this time Peter starts to debate with himself the concept of loops and fate, and wonders how many times he and/or someone else has done this. How many times has he lost Olivia, focusing on her death??? - At one point he arrives at City of Pella (GreeK) 356 B.C. --Dressed as a soldier/guard Peter walks into a temple, or room of worship, as women there pray to the Greek God, Dionysus: "The Twice Born God"...

Dionysus is the god of wine and drunken revelry in Greek mythology. He is a patron of the theater and an agricultural/fertility god. He was sometimes at the heart of frenzied madness that led to savage murder. Writers often contrast Dionysus with his half-brother Apollo. Where Apollo personifies the cerebral aspects of mankind, Dionysus represents the libido and gratification.

Peter see's a young PREGNANT women with long blonde hair. He thinks she could be another version of Olivia, but quickly dismisses it, because at this point he believes he is never meant to be with her. Suddenly while bathing in the pool in front of a statue of the God, a snake almost attacks her, and Peter kills the snake (he slays the snake). She is mad and says this was 'the God's" will and that Peter cheated her of fate! She tells him to be better than his father and he flashes off to 5000 B.C. -Somewhere cold in the snow, then onto Koyoto Japan 900 A.D., all while still debating predetermination and purpose...thinking maybe it's just a fever dream, that he could be lying in a bed somewhere and non of this is real...1147 A.D. Bilbao, Spain...1225 A.D. Shaoyang, China..."But if it is a dream, what happens when all the pieces are gong?"..."I have to make a choice."...Hy-Brasil -Time Period UNKNOWN..."What if I make the wrong one? Will I watch you die over and over?"...He's in a storm. Lighting strikes and he looses the picture he was looking at of Olivia...."It can't be! This isn't how it ends! I have to make this right!." -He goes on a tangent apologizing to Olivia and swearing that he can change it, that he can FIX this! --end Ch.1

I had yet to read the second story of Issue one, which is a B storyline that is a seperate non directly cannon sanario of other realities and "what if's" But I bought it today along with the next part to Peter's arc and OMG! LOST fans everywhere should do a happy dance!

Issue 2: Peter and the Machine Part 2

So Peter wakes up with his head wrapped in a broken-ceiling-stone chamber, later seen in the ground. A man in a modern-looking black suit sits on a stone chair facing him. Peter assumes at first the man is Walter, but is told otherwise, that he is neither Bishop or Olivia--suggesting he knows who they are. The man eventually introduces himself as Dian Cecht and claims this is NO dream...

Peter goes on to talk about a machine piece, and the Cecht apologizes about the stormy weather and says, 'this is not the best time to visit "our" Island. These are strange times'...

He tells Peter though he wants to show hims something. They proceed outdoors where Cecht claims this place is Hy-Brasil and that the Island is located near Ireland, USSUALLY...(suggesting a moving Island). As Peter walks with him we see structures similar to stone hedge, but then the rocky-scape soon turns to jungle...Cecht also explains that "secret places are getting harder to keep" and Peter says, "How do manage that, magic?"
Cecht explains that magic is just a word for what science has yet to explain and that he believes it's mans purpose to discover it--"complete the knowledge of nature." Peter replies with, "Or to destroy it." Cecht says, 'You think like scientist, like a human'....they debate perspective of Peter's arrival, Cecht says Peter brought himself here, and asks, 'where's here now.?'....

They clear through brush and on top of a huge waterfall is this giant amber-copper-metallic cave like structure-shaped like a volcano (triangle-shape) or mountain with futuristic, or outer space-like city scape next to it! (It could be a temple or space ship, but it's built into the waterfall)

A women in GREEN dress stands before them...her arm is missing, but has been drawn in outline--probably to point out the concept of "a phantom limb" -which could then relate to Nina Sharp (playing on: a missing piece) She tells Peter he has 3 pieces (of the machine) left and that one was damaged in the storm, but "it's easy to fix, if you know how!" Peter says he doesn't understand looking at the machine parts. Cecht holds the photo of Olivia that Peter thought he lost in front of him and says, "You have to make a choice"...Peter confused, suddenly starts to fade and Cetch says, "Until next time, young Bishop."....he goes onto Mohawk Valley, 1633 -end of Part 2!

Doing some research Hy-Brisal is known as 'the other Atlantis'...a phantom Island.

Brasil, also known as Hy-Brasil or several other variants,[1] is a phantom island which was said to lie in the Atlantic ocean west of Ireland. In Irish myths it was said to be cloaked in mist, except for one day each seven years, when it became visible but still could not be reached. It probably has similar roots to other mythical islands said to exist in the Atlantic, such as Atlantis, St. Brendan's Island and the Isle of Mam. The etymology of the names Brasil and Hy-Brasil are unknown but in Irish tradition it is thought to come from the Irish Uí Breasail (meaning "descendants (i.e., clan) of Breasal"), one of the ancient clans of northeastern Ireland. cf. Old Irish: Í: island; bres: beauty, worth; great, mighty.

Hy-Brasil was originally thought to be the origin of the name of the modern country of Brazil. However, the generally accepted theory now states that Brazil was named for the brazilwood, which has an extreme red color (so "brasil" derived from "brasa": ember), a plant very valuable in Portuguese commerce and abundant in the new-found land.

This is interesting thinking of both red Olivia, her pregnancy, and the back story in Tales of the FRINGE featuring Nina Sharp, where she lost her baby due to a lighting strike related to her "new arm"...I keep thinking that Nina is the Olivia's somehow or a Dunham relative (Nina is in a name Pattern with Ella)...It's also not like some of us thought the actor who played Aaron in "Alone in the World" could have played a younger Walter...I swear they are playing on incarnations in stranger and stranger ways....Cecht's insights give way to putting the pieces together to make them whole---and not just Nina's arm, but more importantly Walter's missing memories, all may metaphor FRINGE's final plot....finding those memories/pieces and make the realities ONE and whole again.

I also wanted to add perhaps another strange LOST parallel:
During Ben's childhood with Annie on the Island, they both were educated by a teacher named OLIVIA (Horus first wife--Horus named for sun God)...she was teaching them about Volcanic activity/geology....

....LOST fans often speculated that either the Island's volcano would erupt, or that there might have been something special about the volcano, a hidden advanced place of either The Others or Dharma ...if there was, it was never exposed, but it's interesting that there is something like this here....Going back the name Aaron thinking about the links between both series, it means the bright/exulted one of the mountain on high

Additionally I think Peter has to fix this other blue Olivia so he can get home...or that there is one of 3 Olivia's out there that is "damaged" and needs "fixed" :scared:

I looked up more info...Dian is a form of Dion which then could come from Dionysius...

Had to edit. I spelled the last name wrong when looking up...here we go: Dian Cecht is a person in Irish myth:
In Irish mythology, Dian Cécht (Old Irish pronunciation [dʲiːən kʲeːxt]), also known as Cainte, Canta, was the God of healing to the Irish people. He was the healer for the Tuatha Dé Danann and the father of Cian, Cú, and Cethen. His other children were Miach, Airmed, Étan the poetess,[1] and Ochtriullach.[2]

It was Dian Cecht who once saved Ireland, and was indirectly the cause of the name of the River Barrow.[3] The Morrígú, the heaven-god's fierce wife, had borne a son of such terrible aspect that the physician of the gods, foreseeing danger, counselled that he should be destroyed in his infancy.[3] This was done; and Dian Cecht opened the infant's heart, and found within it three serpents, capable, when they grew to full size, of depopulating Ireland.[3] He lost no time in destroying these serpents also, and burning them into ashes, to avoid the evil which even their dead bodies might do.[3] More than this, he flung the ashes into the nearest river, for he feared that there might be danger even in them; and, indeed, so venomous were they that the river boiled up and slew every living creature in it, and therefore has been called the River Barrow, the ‘Boiling’ ever since.[3]

He made King Nuada a silver arm which could move and function as a normal arm. Later, Dian Cecht's son, Miach, replaced the silver arm with an arm of flesh and blood, and Dian Cecht killed him out of professional envy. Miach's sister, Airmed, mourned over her brother's grave. As her tears fell, all the healing herbs of the world grew from the grave. Airmed arranged and catalogued the herbs, but then Dian Cécht again reacted with anger and jealousy and scattered the herbs, destroying his daughter's work as well as his son's. For this reason, it is said that no human now knows the healing properties of all the herbs.[2]

Dian Cecht was also able to heal Mider after the latter lost an eye when struck with a twig of hazel.[4]
Dian Cecht's healing powers were invoked in Ireland as late as the 8th century.[citation needed]

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Beyond The Fringe Comic Series Discussion

Postby rtterry3225 on Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:06 pm

This is very interesting, but how much is canonical to the show, and how much is spin off? I mean are we supposed to read these to fully understand the show as it is this season, or is it unnecessary info, just to be entertaining? Not saying there is anything wrong with extra stuff, I am just curious if I'm missing a big part of the show by not having read these. :S
For: Haven and Fringe

Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on FaceBook!
rtterry3225
Show Expert

Re: Beyond The Fringe Comic Series Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:50 pm

rtterry3225 wrote:This is very interesting, but how much is canonical to the show, and how much is spin off? I mean are we supposed to read these to fully understand the show as it is this season, or is it unnecessary info, just to be entertaining? Not saying there is anything wrong with extra stuff, I am just curious if I'm missing a big part of the show by not having read these. :S

Both of these stories I wrote out for us are cannon!!! They are "A" story lines...They are meant to expand the story from Peter's 2026 experience into season 4.

It's the "B" story lines in each issue (which come out in between the A story lines) that are not cannon (IMO it's that they don't directly relate to the story we are seeing, but do provide a segway/insights into other things)

So Peter and the Machine pt 1 came out first it is cannon and is A
the next one which I forget the title came out two weeks later and tells a what if sanaro if Walter was never able to cross over (both Peters live as teenagers) This is a B storyline.
Peter and the Machine pt 2 came out and cannonly continues...
The next one is another "what if" B storyline (I don't think it continues from the the first B, but is yet different again)

FYI: To gear up form Abrams second Star Trek film, there are a series of comics by IDW (the first one is out) that continue to tell the tale of the crew, which is leading up to the next film, but what's so cool about this, is that the comics relate to some episodes in the original series --->so that we can compare the original timeline (original series) to the new timeline ...see what stays the same and sees what changes....there is also suppose to be hints about the villain as well...

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]