[Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

General Discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 pm

DharmaLager wrote:I've heard a few think we may never see the other world again - I personally don't believe it though. Are the worlds truly closed for good in everyone's opinion?



I think not because there is too much advance technology...and I don't believe that at the end of the series that the writers wouldn't let some version Henry exist... :unsure:

First we have DRJ and his portal devise (formerly Walter's devise), Olivia, Etta, and other Cortexiphaners and/or descendants of Cortexiphaners (Over There Pt 1 & 2/World's Apart/Beyond the Fringe Comic: 3B) should still be able to cross, The Observers can time travel with people ('The Firefly"), Shapeshifters may be able to cross and cause havoc like Newton ("Northwest Passage"/"Jacksonville") did and like "Welcome to Westfield" did, then there's also the fact that the red universe is in a lot of ways more advanced in technology, so imagine what their 2036 may look like...and then there's the possibility that Peter is still in the machine, in which case he/the viewers may go back to the bridge creation at the end of season 3...
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby supermodel on Tue May 01, 2012 9:28 pm

I think it is time for the two-universe storyline to end. There are only 13 episodes next season and a lot of ground yet to cover, so staying in one universe and telling the story of one set of characters would be more expeditious. Yeah, people have gotten to know them and like them, but it there much more to tell? I think all of there stories are at a logical end point except maybe Meana.
Image
User avatar
supermodel
Show Expert
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby JacobsMom on Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 am

supermodel wrote:I think it is time for the two-universe storyline to end. There are only 13 episodes next season and a lot of ground yet to cover, so staying in one universe and telling the story of one set of characters would be more expeditious. Yeah, people have gotten to know them and like them, but it there much more to tell? I think all of there stories are at a logical end point except maybe Meana.


I have to agree with you supermodel. I think the time we have left is going to hold back any further story lines with the now separated universes. Yes, the technology is still there for DRJ to cross over and back, plus I'm sure Olivia could cross over again herself but it seemed to me that there was a nice conclusion to that story line this last week. We had the happy ending knowing that their universe was sort of healed and the goodbyes were said in a sort of finality.
User avatar
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:38 pm
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Wed May 02, 2012 2:13 am

JacobsMom wrote:
supermodel wrote:I think it is time for the two-universe storyline to end. There are only 13 episodes next season and a lot of ground yet to cover, so staying in one universe and telling the story of one set of characters would be more expeditious. Yeah, people have gotten to know them and like them, but it there much more to tell? I think all of there stories are at a logical end point except maybe Meana.


I have to agree with you supermodel. I think the time we have left is going to hold back any further story lines with the now separated universes. Yes, the technology is still there for DRJ to cross over and back, plus I'm sure Olivia could cross over again herself but it seemed to me that there was a nice conclusion to that story line this last week. We had the happy ending knowing that their universe was sort of healed and the goodbyes were said in a sort of finality.


If it wouldn't be for that idea that they just deemed Henry a mistake, but not Henrietta AND more specifically these ideas of the Observers right to chose WHAT future comes to pass for humanity, which becomes clearly evident in "Letters of Transit", I would agree that there isn't a lot of story left to tell, except, beyond that, if Walternate makes up the difference and goes beyond himself to help the blue universe. (Suggesting his time with Peter didn't just make him a better person, but a good person)

But I still think at like either episode 8 or episode 12/13 they could make a surprise appearance, especially if we go back to when Peter made the bridge, because he is still inside the machine.
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby supermodel on Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 pm

because he is still inside the machine.


If that is in fact the case, and I am not sure we all agree on that. I don't think he's still inside the machine, I think that would be a dangerous storyline because it could potentionally play like "it was all a dream."
Image
User avatar
supermodel
Show Expert
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Wed May 02, 2012 11:37 pm

supermodel wrote:
because he is still inside the machine.


If that is in fact the case, and I am not sure we all agree on that. I don't think he's still inside the machine, I think that would be a dangerous storyline because it could potentionally play like "it was all a dream."


I am not saying anyone has to agree, or that Peter is for fact inside the machine, but that there is certainly a possibility since the show deals with dreams, conscience, astral projections on many occasions.

But lets consider what a dream may really be, insight, emotional truth, VISIONS of reality...even an "altered state" of existence...

... one world the season 4 title sequence says is "ethereal plane"

Image

Now normally one would consider ethereal "unearthly" as in something like a dream state...but lets go back to LOST for a minute...I always say that watching FRINGE would be like watching LOST from the perspective of the DI, because unlike the 815-ers, the FRINGE team cares about understanding the world around them and wants to use it to save themselves....

Imagine if Desmond and/or the DI could have used/manipulated the FS (a transitional along side plane of collected conscience from one corporeal life to the next) to change the future out come of most the characters BEFORE they died?!

For a lot of Lost fans, the fact that they couldn't save themselves with in the construct of their own time line, really made a lot of people upset, but I understood, because that's the philosophy of being "Lost"...Doing this would remedy that ending for some people...

Another word in the title sequence is "bi location" which would mean "to be in two places at once"...A drug induced state is one way, but another is also again like most Desmond's various reality experiences, including the FS, where he was on the Island and "doing things" (waking memories up) in the FS at the same time!

One reason I knew back in season 3 that Peter is a Desmond-like character was because of not only the machine being a type of time machine, but the Christmas references via Olivia and "The Christmas Carol" (ZFT-flyer-Samantha Loeb--->"The Constant" = Desmond contacts Penny on Christmas Eve/ Sawyer says: MIB - "Ghost of Christmas Future" - Follow The Leader/Sawyer says, Desmond "Ghost of Christmas past" -Because You Left -Follow the leader shows us that the events of Because You Left are in a type of time fold as "3" Johns exist at the same time, alive, dead, and MIB using his image - reincarnation/loops/cycles of transformation ) -like ideas, which Pinkner has confimred about "how the machine works" --which means it induces "visions" in order to "change". But now Two Purges, A Faraday's cage, McCutchen Bottle, the girl who could draw people as she saw them right before they died, including the man who died at a construction site (parallels the man Mrs. Hawkings told Desmond was going to die), the nod to Agent "Pace" (which Desmond's visions of all of the way Charlie had died in previous timelines "changed the reason" for Charlies death, making it no longer senseless/ parallels seeing a reality with out younger Peter, because the Walters shift roles and find "peace" as Peter can't be "the reason" for the chaos/war in the time line) all is like a juxtaposition to LOST.

Now it may seem like a dream, but they could justify his experience as something that really happened with something transferitive, where they make it possible that Olivia remembers (again), or another version of Etta remembers...(we can make this argument that Peter pulled Olivia's conscience to him, just like the 2026 Walter said he pulled Peter's conscience to 2026...)

Because Ethereal Plane or Flash Sideways is not "not real", but rather a different kind of reality where the laws of physics could be "reversed" (because in LOST the FS had backwards thinking too...you see a glimpse/experience the future, but your forced to remember the past, to understand why this future manifested, so that you can gather and move onto it)

The deal with the no need of the machines and how that worked--really doesn't make sense, because it goes "agianst" what we thought to be "true" about the universes...additionally Lincoln Lee point blank says, that we shouldn't ask our selves about the quantum mechanics, "Just Go With It" --which I think is a sign hinting at this reality...

"World's Apart" (Double Meaning -To The Audience)

OLIVIA: I knew Nick when we were kids. We shared an emotional bond. And I'm hoping that through you, we may be able to reconnect and find him.
NICKLAUS LANE: And this makes perfect sense to all of you.
AGENT LEE: I find it's best if you just go with it.


Note: "8 Ball"/Frankenstein/Film Nior Spoof references are also Felicity References...may hint at similar ending. Felicity's Final Episode title is "Back to the Future"!

"Bad Dreams"

WALTER: An unsub that may be killing people with his thoughts while Olivia is watching in her dream. (Looking up from playing with a coffee maker.) Uh, by the way, I don't think this machine works....

WALTER: It worked on perception. Carlos Castaneda, ***Aldus Huxley***, Werner Heisenberg, all focused on one single elementary truth. Perception is the key to transformation.
PETER: Reality is both subjective and malleable. If you can dream a better world, you can make a better world.


Note: What would be a bad dream?...If Observers would turn on Humanity and take over the world!
Note: A. Huxley wrote Dystopia, "A Brave New World" = Controlled Observer State.


"Dream Logic" was about "chip" connected to the brain in which the perception of what reality "really" was was, altered the chip-users actual perception. -This Could parallel Peter and the Machine. Additionally "Letters of Transit" title sequence visually featured "neurons" and "neural pathways" hinting that interdementional space relies on the mind.

Another Important Episode title:
"Do Shapeshifter's DREAM of Electric Sheep? "

"The Road Not Taken"

WALTER: Typical protracted deja vu. Prolonged. You're familiar with the -- the pliability of space-time, yes?
PETER: Of course. Who isn't?
WALTER: One minute will explain. (rolls out a chalkboard) Most of us experience life as a - a linear progression just like this. (draws a horizontal line) But this is an illusion because every day, life presents us with an array of choices. As a result, life should look more like this. (draws diagonal branches from the first line) And each choice... leads to a new path. To go to work. To stay home. And each choice we take creates a new reality. Do -- do you understand?
OLIVIA: Yes. But what does it have to do with deja vu?
WALTER: Deja vu is--is--is simply a - a momentary glimpse to the other side. Almost everyone experiences it. We feel that we've been somewhere before because actually we have - in another reality. It's another path. The road not taken.
OLIVIA: Walter, why me? Why am I seeing these visions?
WALTER: I don't know.
OLIVIA: Walter, what about William Bell's drug trials? Cortexiphan. You said that it worked on perception.


Drugs: Cortexiphan/LSD - taking "trips"
From Wiki:
The term "psychedelic experience" is vague – characterized by polyvalence or ambiguity due to its nature – however in modern psychopharmacological science as well as philosophical, psychological, neurological, spiritual-religious and most other ideological discourses it is understood as an altered state of awareness often distinct to, and induced by the consumption of certain psychotropics. In particular hallucinogens, many entheogens and specifically psychedelic compounds are known to cause this change in mental state.

Some who undertake psychedelic experiences come to see them as an ordeal, and mentally overbearing – in which case the result is often known as a "bad trip" or psychedelic crisis, closely linked to the psychological turmoil of panic attacks, depersonalization/derealization, hysteria and dysphoria. For others, such experiences come to be seen as personal re-enactments of a hero's journey. Spiritual practices and psychedelic drugs are the usual context when discussing means to achieve states of mind in which novel perceptions can arise, unhindered by everyday mental filters and processes.


Walter mentions "spirit walk" in "Bad Dreams"
WALTER: ...projection. A spirit walk, as it were. No, no, no, you wouldn't have had sufficient corporeal form to interact with the young woman.


Fringe references:
---Alice in Wonderland = Games and War, with physical laws of "nonesense" logic (backwards thinking): Objective: play the game, "go home"...
--Wizard of Oz = World Full of Dopplegangers: Objective save reality and "go home"

Backwards Logic/Pun in "Bad Dreams"'
WALTER: That's a curious word. So it's got nothing to do with going underwater?
ASTRID: No. 'UnSub' stands for unidentified subject.
WALTER: Actually, it should more logically mean going above water.
PETER: And still no.



And another word in the title sequence: Psychogenesis
Image
Psychogenesis (from the Greek psyche - mind or feelings, and genesis - origin) is a term primarily used in psychology referring to the origin and development of psychological processes, personality, or behavior or the development of a physical disorder or illness resulting from psychological, rather than physiological, factors.
aka: Origins of feelings in/of the the mind


Came Back to add some stuff from Brave New World Pt1:
At the building at the beginning of the episode a instrumental version of Billy Idol's "Eyes Without A Face" played:

Eyes Without A Face Song Lyrics:

I'm all out of hope
One more ***bad dream*** could bring a fall
When I'm far from home
Don't call me on the phone
To tell me you're alone
It's easy to deceive
It's easy to tease
But hard to get release

Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Got no human grace your eyes without a face.

I spend so much time
Believing all the lies
To keep the dream alive
Now it makes me sad
It makes me mad at truth
For loving what was you


Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Got no human grace your eyes without a face.

When you hear the music you make a dip
Into someone else's pocket then make a slip.
steal a car and go to Las Vegas oh, the gigolo pool.

Hanging out by the state line,
Turning holy water into wine
Drinkin' it down, oh
I'm on a bus on a psychedelic trip
Reading murder books tryin' to stay hip.
I'm thinkin' of you you're out there so
Say your prayers.

Say your prayers.
Say your prayers.

Now I close my eyes
And I wonder why
I don't despise
Now all I can do
Is love what was once
So alive and new
But it's gone from your eyes
I'd better realise


Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Les yeux sans visage eyes without a face
Got no human grace your eyes without a face.
Such a human waste your eyes without a face
And now it's getting worse.

So from this it seems to play at Olivia dying, or loosing her season 1-3 memory she just regained, because Peter said, when he looked into her eyes, he knew it was "his" [former] Olivia.

Second: Before Peter goes into the machine at the end of season 3, he was on LSD and shared conscience with Olivia and Walter.
One of the lyrics I underlined was "I'm on a bus, on a psychedelic trip..." Walter was on top the bus in LSD. "Redding Murder Books, trying to stay hip" --Mr. "X" = the death of Olivia. Peter may be getting a glimpse in this time line on how to prevent Olivia's death in the previous time line, as reading murder books would give someone insight on how to prevent a murder. "I'm thinking of you, but you're OUT THERE." -May imply that the time line is still out there, because is in the machine having an experience....'So say your prayers" -Chi Rho appears on the church when Jessica and Olivia walk by:

The "Chi-Rho" or "sigla": the letters "X" and "P," representing the first letters of the title "Christos," were eventually put together to form this symbol for Christ ("Chi" is pronounced "Kie"). It is this form of the Cross that ***Constantine saw in his vision*** along with the Greek words, TOUTO NIKA, which are rendered in Latin as "In hoc signo vinces" and which mean "in this sign thou shalt conquer.


Image

Image
Image
Image

To Support Olivia dies, but we go back to when she is alive again:

"Bad Dreams"
ELLA: Aunt Liv. The stuff that they put in me isn't dead anymore. It came back alive. Can that really happen?



Nanobots also plays at another kind of matter within matter to control the matter, like a reality within a reality to control the reality.







These threads also explain these lines of thought when I was predicting where the show would go, including that the characters may get placed in Amber:
Amber Title Sequence:http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=23155
Some Where Over The Rainbow: http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=22392
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby supermodel on Fri May 04, 2012 6:41 pm

Wow, I have to find some time to read all of that, looks like good stuff but I don't want the boss to catch me getting engrossed in this!

Mods, can we rename this thread Eps 4.11 - 4.22? Just in case new members are looking for current episode discussion. We are so far beyond 14, we just kept going and going and going...
Image
User avatar
supermodel
Show Expert
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sat May 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Brave New World Pt. 1:


THE BISHOP REVIVAL - I am the Bishop.
So instantly did David Robert Jones come believe that William Hell/Bell (unclear) had set him up to fail against Olivia via attacking Peter, but considering his German background, the way the spontaneous combustion at fist seemed similar to the non-aging possibly time traveling work of Hoffman in "The Bishop Revival", and the fact that they are named Robert, makes me wonder if there are these indicate that Jones might of had more direct ties to Robert Bishop?

It also occurs to me that Belly like a certain kind of imported chili, that hints that he once (in another time line) was responsible for the creation of the Observers, as there are ties here back to "August", but also the paper with the chili harks back to Henry Bishop ("Bloodline"), as he was once a Bishop to sacrifice...

Once again this reality presents a different set of physical laws as now the cortexiphan can "regenerate" (revive) life...including brain matter...

And poor Astrid! -Although it was So great to see her in action...unless that future happens before the series, or in yet another time line, the cortexiphan or Olivia saves her, it's hard to see with a dead Astrid how we get to 2036.

Olivia too has been acting rather strange lately as well....the Olivia from the previous timeline was getting over her abilities, but she seems to be really frightened by them now. It makes me think that Mr. X is on the rise and she knows it...I also saw the Chi Rho on the church...which strangely I used when first getting into the possibility of whom Mr. X could be as the symbol consists a P, X, and sometimes an O and deals with/represents the Resurrection of Christ. Or victory over death! http://www.spoilertv.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=22516

Abviously the animal shapeshifters are at the warehouse! If William Bell didn't want the sun to burn Boston, then what the heck does he want? Is he trying to get the Observers attention?

As for Jessica Holt, I don't think we're done with her, and I think she may be a part of Bell's/Jones project. I think again Bell is testing Olivia. Rebecca Madder did a good job! I liked seeing her attempt to play someone warmer, even if it's fake.

It was nice to see John Nobel's daughter and it was fun to watch Walter kind of bicker back and forth with her...and then again he keeps telling young women how beautiful they are!

Can't wait for next week! And thanks Leonard Nimoy for returning!!!! XD :thumbsup:
And Goodbye DRJ (Maybe one of your shapeshifters has come close to genetically replacing you?!)

Oh yaeh and "Eyes Without of Face" song (an instumental version) at the beginning has me a little worried...
"I spent so much time, believing all the lies to keep THE DREAM ALIVE.
Now it makes me sad. Makes me mad at truth, for loving what WAS you."


I hope Jessica Holt is either a genetically modified clone of Meana and DRJ or Meana and William Hell...some kind of "love child".
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby WJames on Sun May 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Brave New World Pt. 1

This episode was underwhelming for me. RDJ being reduced to a mere pawn and dying so quickly was expected but I think they executed it very poorly. Olivia's powers increasing was fun though and I'm really not worried for Astrid at all. I'm 100% sure that newly added healing effects to cortexophan will magically save her. While I am at it, I believe that turning a drug that ruined many people's lives into a magical cure is really a bad creative decision from the writers.

That's all. I hope that finale part two next Friday somehow redeems the weaknesses of part one. This season had an amazing streak of 10 episodes that were brilliant (IMO of course, 9-19) but these last two just didn't work their magic on me. Last year episode 21 was amazing! Oh well...

6,5/10
User avatar
WJames
Guest Star
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sun May 06, 2012 3:11 pm

WJames wrote:Brave New World Pt. 1

This episode was underwhelming for me. RDJ being reduced to a mere pawn and dying so quickly was expected but I think they executed it very poorly. Olivia's powers increasing was fun though and I'm really not worried for Astrid at all. I'm 100% sure that newly added healing effects to cortexophan will magically save her. While I am at it, I believe that turning a drug that ruined many people's lives into a magical cure is really a bad creative decision from the writers.

That's all. I hope that finale part two next Friday somehow redeems the weaknesses of part one. This season had an amazing streak of 10 episodes that were brilliant (IMO of course, 9-19) but these last two just didn't work their magic on me. Last year episode 21 was amazing! Oh well...

6,5/10


Although I would have liked him to go out differently, I think the writers were smart to have him go out so instant, because it ties back to how DRJ perceived himself in season one...just one leader of many factions. There might also be hint here connecting DRJ to Robert Bishop...or the Bishop Bloodline...

After Billy Idol's song referenced at the beginning of the episode (Eyes without a face) I feel more certain that this reality isn't corporeal and Peter will return home. This reality goes against the fundamental principals of our other pre-season 4 reality, as the technology is now almost fantastic to the point of magic...and I think it's because it's leading to the inevitable. "This Place Is Death".
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby WJames on Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm

DarthLocke wrote:Although I would have liked him to go out differently, I think the writers were smart to have him go out so instant, because it ties back to how DRJ perceived himself in season one...just one leader of many factions. There might also be hint here connecting DRJ to Robert Bishop...or the Bishop Bloodline...

I guess you are right. :PP And I think it was just a simple trick they chose to use in that instance. I thought that Olivia will turn out to be the Bishop that needs to be eliminated .

DarthLocke wrote:After Billy Idol's song referenced at the beginning of the episode (Eyes without a face) I feel more certain that this reality isn't corporeal and Peter will return home. This reality goes against the fundamental principals of our reality as the technology is now almost fantastic to the point of magic...and I think it's because it's leading to the inevitable. "This Place Is Death".

I don't know how to feel about that possibility. I guess that it could happen but I'm not particular fond of it because I feel it would nullify Peter's sacrifice when he entered the machine and bridged the two universes.

I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see. If I had to guess something, I would guess that they will end in violet universe that has managed to repair itself and remove the Obervers from its system through many other iterations with Bishops help.

p.s. that Sprint commercial in the beginning annoyed me immensely! Maybe that is why I could not enjoy the episode as much as I wanted to. And I know they have to do anything they can to find sponsors, but that kind of over the top blatant product placement just annoys me to no end. I know they did it before with Nissan's electrical car and what not, but in this episode it just felt wrong. I half expected some guy to start yapping about how great and efficient new Sprint phones are. I also find the idea of removing paper money from the circulation one giant step into the totalitarian fascist future that Fringe illustrated so well two epis ago. Just replace Observers with big corporations and Observer tattoos with chips in our necks that track our shopping habits and every little thing we do in our lives just so they could personalize commercial that will bombard us from big displays when we walk down the street or enter a store. Yeah, that is actually the desirable future for people leading us, and they are getting a lot of corporate money to continue desiring it. :(
User avatar
WJames
Guest Star
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sun May 06, 2012 3:59 pm

^ I's not even just that some of the things that are happening are advanced and different than what we learned to be true that tips me off, but also the writers are no longer having the characters (Walter, Brandon, Ect) explain how the advancements could happen, how the physics of everything "could" change.

Peter's sacrifice might be seeing how his time line was created (the 2026 future in the Day We Died) and how everyone could still die. His sacrifice to make the bridge was IS to see many truths of reality and to experience loss and death. To see this time line reflects past, present, and even "his" up and coming future...

From J.J. Abrams Star Trek

KIRK: Yes, I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly.
(Spock rises from the audience)
BARNETT: Step forward, please. This is Commander Spock. He's one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years. Commander?
SPOCK: Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test.
KIRK: Your point being?
BARNETT: In academic vernacular, you cheated.
KIRK: Let me ask you something, I think we all know the answer to. The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? You programmed it to be unwinnable.
SPOCK: Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario.
KIRK: I don't believe in no-win scenarios.
SPOCK: Then, not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principle lesson.
KIRK: Please, enlighten me.
SPOCK: You of all people should know, Cadet Kirk. A Captain cannot cheat death.
KIRK: I of all people.
SPOCK: Your father, Lieutenant George Kirk, assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not?
KIRK: I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test?
SPOCK: Furthermore, you have failed to divine the purpose of the test.
KIRK: Enlighten me again.
SPOCK: The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death. To accept that fear, and maintain control of oneself and one's crew. This is a quality expected in every Starfleet captain.

Image

IMO this is the same line of thinking...one of the latest comics also deals with a future and space...they wake Walter up from a state of animated suspension because they found out the machines created "strange matter"...but now it was eating the Earth. Walter could not save the planet, but he was able to us the "strange matter" as fuel for a space ship...they set out with remaining humanity to find a new planet. There are many clone Olivias...and many cloned DRJ...who have to live below deck and "work" the ship as punishment for what the original DRJ did...They find a planet, but the DRJ clones decide to create a mutiny....the accidentally crash the ship and the fuel tank cracks....the whole planet is going to be engulfed by the strange matter...everything will die.https://read.dccomics.com/comixology/#/issue/22439/Beyond-the-Fringe-5-Chapter-B

PS: I am not found of the sprint commercials either!
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sun May 06, 2012 4:43 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby WJames on Sun May 06, 2012 4:09 pm

DarthLocke wrote:^ I's not even just that some of the things that are happening are advanced and different than what we learned to be true that tips me off, but also the writers are no longer having the characters (Walter, Brandon, Ect) explain how the advancements could happen, how the physics of everything "could" change.

Peter's sacrifice might be seeing how his time line was created (the 2026 future in the Day We Died) and how everyone could still die. His sacrifice to make the bridge was IS to see many truths of reality and to experience loss and death.
... so he could make things right once and for all. ;)

User avatar
WJames
Guest Star
 
Posts: 436
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sun May 06, 2012 4:27 pm

WJames wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:^ I's not even just that some of the things that are happening are advanced and different than what we learned to be true that tips me off, but also the writers are no longer having the characters (Walter, Brandon, Ect) explain how the advancements could happen, how the physics of everything "could" change.

Peter's sacrifice might be seeing how his time line was created (the 2026 future in the Day We Died) and how everyone could still die. His sacrifice to make the bridge was IS to see many truths of reality and to experience loss and death.
... so he could make things right once and for all. ;)



:lol: :thumbsup: Good choices!
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7905
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] FRINGE Eps. 4.11 - 4.14 Discussion Thread

Postby supermodel on Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 pm

WJames said:
RDJ being reduced to a mere pawn and dying so quickly was expected but I think they executed it very poorly.

I thought this episode was not very good and DRJ's demise was really disappointing. After being the evil bad guy for multiple seasons, he's reduced in a matter of seconds to simply being Bell's henchman and his death was kind of boring, not at all the spectacular sendoff this character deserved. I feel like they sacrificed his charcter to show off Olivia's ridiculous powers which include operating Peter's body like a robot.

I have always found her powers are interesting because she can't control them. Remove the limitations and I am nervous about where this story goes. Yes we know she has to be frightened to use them, and seeing Peter in danger frightened her, but this was a bit much. Apparenly she is like a demigod now and can control people's bodies. And anyway who would believe that Peter can't take Jones in a fistfight?

And all this new technology seeming like magic is hard to swallow, I agree with you guys that I appreciated at least had the pretense of an explanation. I am perhaps more irritated than you, DL, but your choice of the word "magic" really explains my feeling.

And William Bell is fundamentally a different man that the one we have come to know. Last time we saw him he gave his own life at the theater, and now he is a megalomaniac bent on destruction? WTF?

And I agree with WJames, the blatant product placement is distracting. The fleet of Nissans was awful (first of all I think USG agencies are required to buy American) and that Sprint thing this week sort of jarred me out of the show for a sec. I understand it is necessary especially in a show that loses money, but it was just so obvious and bad. I wish product placement could be more integrated and less distracting.

So yeah, for me this was not a great ep.
Image
User avatar
supermodel
Show Expert
 
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 9:42 pm
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living
Gender: Female

PreviousNext

Return to Fringe Discussion [No spoilers!]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron