FRINGE: Comic Con Coverage and Discussion Thread

Spoiler discussion for 'Fringe'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

FRINGE: Comic Con Coverage and Discussion Thread

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:48 pm

SATURDAY JULY 24, 2010 – 3:15–4:00 p.m. Fringe Screening and Q&A
Fringe returns to Comic-Con as Lance Reddick and Blair Brown make their first appearance at the convention, joining fellow series stars Anna Torv, Joshua Jackson, John Noble and Jasika Nicole, and executive producers Jeff Pinkner and J.H. Wyman for a Q&A with fans and an exclusive video presentation.

Join the discussion of this critically acclaimed thriller, which explores the ever-blurring line between science fiction and reality, where hybrid monsters tear through sewers, thieves walk through walls and portals open to worlds unknown.(Ballroom 20).

I'll do my best to post what SpoilerTV gives us starting with FOX's panel which includes some picks of Anna Torv
http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/fox-comic-con-panel-photos-bones-fringe.html

Plus Anna Torv was apart of a panel titled: "Women Who Kick A##" :D
(Here's one of the greatest things ever--Anna Torv sitting next to Elizabeth Mitchell FTW :thumbsup: )

There are several links to coverage from EW video footage to some twitter picks!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/fringe-various-comic-con-videos-and.html

This just in from Facebook's FRINGE page:

Dish from the FRINGE Panel at Comic-Con: "duality/duplicity will be a major theme in the upcoming season" - J.H. Wyman

and some pictures...http://www.facebook.com/Fringe#!/album.php?aid=189564&id=15576613667&ref=mf

Here's the Run Down from FRINGE BLOGGERS on the hightlights:

EW’s Ken Tucker moderates the panel.

Reel montage – apparently it’s nothing new. (is this the advertised “screening”?).

“The road not taken” will be a huge theme of the new season – Executive Producer Jeff Pinkner.

“The theme of duality and duplicity really interest us right now” – Executive Producer J.H. Wyman.

An interesting distinction from Anna Torv on one of the differences between Olivia and Altlivia: ‘Olivia wants to be the best while Altlivia just wants to win’
Anna Torv believes that Sam Weiss is absolutely real, but not what we think.

John Noble‘s take on the two universes: “What happened if we done that instead of that” – basically, the road not taken.

Lance Reddick says “Broyles is a bit of a maverick. I guess we’ll see how that loyalty plays out with Altlivia”.
John Noble: “I don’t trust that Bell”.

Pinkner: “What happens when you have the power to do these things, that maybe man wasn’t supposed to have this power?”

Will Broyles detect the mole that is Altlivia? Reddick doesn’t think he’ll realize all that quickly.
Blair Brown: “There is a whole history there that Peter and I have that is yet to be disclosed”.

Jasika Nicole compares Altstrid to a machine.

Wyman talks about the balance between the dreaded standalone episodes and the much more appealing (my words) mythology episodes and cites the hybrid – the “mythalone”
Pinkner says they have a story for Bell if Leonard Nimoy decides to come out of retirement.
According to Jackson “Peter reverted back” to his pre Fringe Division/task force life once he discovered the truth about his origins.

They say they got to tell the William Bell story they always wanted to tell. Really?
Jackson on Peter’s decision to return to Walter – “the hardest decision of his life”.
Pinkner says the “First People” alterna-credits will play a role in the third season.
END.

A Second Run Down from Zap2It:

3:30 p.m. - We're sitting right in front of Josh Jackson's stunning girlfriend Diane Kruger.

3:31 p.m. - Ken Tucker from Entertainment Weekly introduces the panel.

3:37 p.m. - "At this point we have two universes, so our major theme now is 'the road not taken,'" Pinkner says about Season 2. Wyman says that there will be a theme of duality. "And sex," Pinkner says, before standing up to go hover over Jackson and Torv.

3:38 p.m. - "Is Peter about to embark on the most exhilarating threesome he's ever had?" Tucker asks. "Is there any such thing as an un-exhilarating threesome?" Jackson replies.

3:40 p.m. - "Our Olivia wants to be the best, but Alt-Olivia just wants to win," Torv says of the differences between the two.

3:42 p.m. - Any time John Noble is mentioned, spoken to, etc, the crowd goes wild.

3:46 p.m. - "I have an enormous respect for this man. I believe that he's a great patriot, and a great mind. In either universe, he's a bit of a maverick, so I guess we'll see just how that loyalty and relationship plays out as things go along with Olivia," Reddick says of Broyles.

3:47 p.m. - "If Nina is about control in this world, she's about lack of control, there," Blair says.

3:48 p.m. - Tucker mentions Nina's kiss with Broyles, and Blair says, "And our love child, Astrid!"

3:50 p.m. - Joshua Jackson just keeps stroking his face. We're mesmerized. Just saying.

3:51 p.m. - "I'm not an expert on autism at all, but I have a very personal connection to it," says Jasika. She also says that we'll see where Astrid lives. "It's tiny little things like that, that give you more insight into who she is. Now I know what color her walls are."

3:54 p.m. - The episodes are not stand alones, not mythology, but "mythalones," says Wyman. They're trying to find a way for people to jump into the series at any point and still find it compelling.

3:55 p.m. - Regarding Leonard Nimoy's retirement, "Leonard has now retired twice. He's our Brett Favre," says Pinkner. They talked him through his story and he said he'd come back for Season 2. "He was initially nervous that we just wanted him for promotional value, but we wanted to give him sort of a swan song role." Should Nimoy come out of retirement, they will have more stories to tell.

3:58 p.m. - Is Josh jealous that he doesn't get to play dual roles? "No, because it gives me the opportunity to be just an audience member from the other side. It allows me to step back and watch it through your guys' eyes and just... judge it harshly. 'You know what this is missing? Peter.'"

4:00 p.m. - Josh got a round of applause and then said, "Wow. That went pretty well."

4:01 p.m. - "That needs to be a name in a comic book. That woman's name is actually Jill Risk," Jackson says about a fan who asked a question.

4:05 p.m. - "I love it, but it's exhausting getting the wig on and off," Torv says about playing a dual character.

4:07 p.m. - Joshua Jackson just made the sound of a bong. Magically.

4:08 p.m. - A fan just called John Noble "devastatingly handsome" and asked for a kiss. Josh Jackson threw a chocolate kiss at her.

4:09 p.m. - Every time a fan asks a question, the cast members ask a question back. Free t-shirts all around!

4:13 p.m. - A fan knew the exact ingredients for Walter's marijuana plant. "You get a t-shirt!" said Pinkner. "And a five-to-fifteen year jail sentence!" Jackson added.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2010/07/fringe-at-comic-con-live-blog-from-the-panel.html

Panel Videos and Interview Montages:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/fringe-comic-con-panel-video-and-cast.html

FULL PANEL VIDEO COVERAGE:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/fringe-full-comic-con-panel.html

A Third Summery in form of an article from Kristin E Online!
http://uk.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b192068_fringe_brings_funny_few_awwws_comic-con.html

A Bunch of Pics: Fringe Panel, Fringe booth, and cast photos with Aussellio:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2010/07/fringe-more-comic-con-photos-and.html

Jackson Denied at Enterance! :scared:
(Forum Member H12 is gonna flip :lol: )

I see a security guard in a yellow jacket still refusing to let him in. Jackson throws his hands in the air and says “I’m supposed to be in there. I’m not one of the fans, I’m supposed to talk about the show.”

http://www.sandiego.com/entertainment/comic-con-2010-popular-fringe-actor-stuck-outside
Last edited by DarthLocke on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: FRINGE: Comic Con Coverage and Discussion Thread

Postby PandaVamp on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Excellent! I'm also crossing my fingers they give us, at least, a couple of juicy details. :thumbsup:

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby gimmers3000 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:38 pm

What time is the Fringe panel? One of the only shows im looking out for this year seeing as Lost isn't on.
Get up John, You've got work to do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZaaw6wOi1Q Best video ever!

September 22, 2004 - May 23, 2010 R.I.P LOST
gimmers3000
Guest Star

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:40 pm

gimmers3000 wrote:What time is the Fringe panel? One of the only shows im looking out for this year seeing as Lost isn't on.

It's going to start in about 35 mins (3:15-San Diego Time--for me it's 6: 15--Ohio time)---so I will prob have stuff to post with in the next hour! :w00t:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Wow, the timing is scary... I just rewatched the season finale earlier today...

Why can't they do a big Comicon in the Midwest???... :cursing: Chicago's typically/practically ignores TV/Movies...

--- Merged Double Post --

Here's an interesting blog that is following the convention...
http://www.fringebloggers.com/comic-con-fringe-panel-guide-on-going-updates/#more-19482

There is also an equally interesting comment attributed to Anna Torv:
"Anna Torv believes that Sam Weiss is absolutely real, but not what we think. "

It's gives me pause thinking about the anagram on the blackboard, since it was an anagram... could it mean that understanding it was not meant for the alternate reality????

Uhmm.. :hmm:
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:40 am

I was pretty sure that who Peter was prior to FRINGE division would have to pop up this coming season--especially because the first comic book of "Tales of the Fringe" featured a Peter back story first.

--I am also gald to hear that there is more between Peter and Nina that we haven't meant.

I commented on on of the regular discussion threads that this would be the season for history and things relating to 'back stories' such as family relations and other types of people who were in the lives of characters previously...seems to be the case...as we also know alot more things than this panel disclosed in this session

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Alter Oliva's mother--and a connection to the Bishops

I am surprised we didn't get anymore info on "first people". I was hoping they would give us something. It seems "the observers" were not mentioned either---so perhaps this goes hand in hand as many of us speculated???

It seems like their talk about LN may suggest that we will see him agian--I still think our forums RexManning may have hit the nail on the head with his Sam Weiss = William Bell (in some way--clone, preserved, ect) as both things they have to say about both characters could suggest as much--as they have story for Bell (although they say it relies on Nemoy's return --but I don't necessarlity buy that...and that Sam Weiss is real -- but not what we expect...receantly I went back over the other Fringe comic series and there is one story about a reporter Massive Dynamics cloned and replaced for the sake of her not revealing a story regarding a pattern the reporter believed was happening through Massive Dynamics!

I was hoping for new footage of some type, but so far I see NO reports. I am also still waiting on someone to post the panel on youtube.

--I knew Astrid was like an echelon "machine" ----It sounds like they have something planed with her alternate!

I think it will be great that we will be compairing universes for a while and that the alter will explore things the primary reality didn't do!
Last edited by DarthLocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Lockes disciple on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:20 am

Nice job DarthLocke. That's all good stuff. That's what I was saying about John Noble's Emmy chances this year in that he'll get to play the "other side" of Walter Bishop and what losing Peter did to Walternate.

Plus "our" Walter will have to ask himself, "Is that what I would've or could've become? Could I have become rich, famous, revered and respected by the world? Am I a failure because I'm just a crazy old guy that did a lot of controversial experiments to children?" He'll have to compare himself to what Walternate did and he'll struggle with that. Imagine looking at another version of yourself that had the same situations in life but instead of doing what you did, this other version became more successful, wealthier, lucid, and more respected in his industry because of his inventions and technology than you did. That's tough and that'll be some good drama for John Noble to play.

So this season the characters interacting with the alter-ego's can provide those sorts of situations for them to be introspective and do some soul searching. That's why I think season 3 will be a little more dramatic. There will still be gadgets and cool mythology. But it will also look deeper into the characters issues as they start to emerge into their roles for this upcoming war.

And I enjoy the fact that perhaps Jasika Nicole will get more screen time this year. She's gorgeous... :wub:

Lockes disciple
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:34 am

I 100% agree with your thoughts Lockes disciple!!

I def think there will be alot of soul searching and character building! I also think you're right they will have to do it dramaticly to not veer away from the apperant immenant threat of that machine and the sci-fi nature in general...

I thought from Fringe Bloggers report that they were VERY tight-lipped...which leads me to believe that we should think BIG about the season.---At least I hope that's what it means!

And yay for Astrid, Broyles, and Sharp to hopefully also play bigger roles! :thumbsup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby b3rt4 on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks Darth, some really interesting snippets. :thumbsup:

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby DarkUFO on Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for compiling all this, nice one.
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:10 pm

No problem! --I will keep looking to see if I can find anything else...

--- Merged Double Post --

SmokeyD wrote:There is also an equally interesting comment attributed to Anna Torv:
"Anna Torv believes that Sam Weiss is absolutely real, but not what we think. "

It's gives me pause thinking about the anagram on the blackboard, since it was an anagram... could it mean that understanding it was not meant for the alternate reality????

Uhmm.. :hmm:

Yeah I was torn about to whom Sam Weiss was not trust worthy????

--I am still am going to say there is something genetic engineered about him...or he comes from yet some other place....---I am really curious because it was Nina who recommended him...and we all thought she was communicating with Bell until she said she hasn't been.... :hmm:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:53 pm

Great stuff, Darth! Thank you. :thumbsup:

Well, the panel wasn't particularly spoilery, but I guess that's how these things are... pure teasing. Would have loved a trailer or something.

- Anyway, I can only hope Nimoy comes back out of his retirement to some capacity. Would be great to keep seeing more of William Bell, even more when I thought he was dead and gone.

- Glad, glad, glad we'll get more of Astrid. :D

- Can't also wait to see how Broyle's "loyalty" thing will work out... will Alt-Broyles actually end up helping our Olivia?

- The whole Sam Weiss thing couldn't get any more mysterious. :lol: RexManning's theory seems more plausible than ever now, I think. :thumbup: And what about John Noble's “I don’t trust that Bell”? So, according to the theory, Alt-Bell survived and could be living as Weiss in our reality somehow? Don't trust Sam Weiss The trust factor keeps coming out.

- Like Lockes disciple said, “The road not taken” theme will probably bring much more drama this season, with the characters doing a lot of retro-inspection, trying to understand who they are and all that stuff. Maybe more character than mystery focused. Bring it on! :thumbsup:

Finally, that photo with Ausiello is so lovely! I just wish it was me in the middle and not him. :P

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:19 pm

^It kind of sounds like the mythology is going to expand maybe, because of who they are --and who they know---kind of like "the road not taken" gives the universes a special connectivity---creating the pattern---or that the pattern was inevitable because the origin and creation of these two universe's is considered "special" (like a binary star system)

To me "mythalones" sounds like we're getting more mythology, but it will be presented in a way in which each episode will probably specify and reintroduce what such and such pertains to. It might be redundant, but I think they make it so people can follow it no matter when you tune in.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby lexnox on Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:38 pm

Thanks Darth.
Aeon & LOST
Let's see how fast you can run?
lexnox
Supporting Actor

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:45 pm

DarthLocke wrote:^It kind of sounds like the mythology is going to expand maybe, because of who they are --and who they know---kind of like "the road not taken" gives the universes a special connectivity---creating the pattern---or that the pattern was inevitable because the origin and creation of these two universe's is considered "special" (like a binary star system)

To me "mythalones" sounds like we're getting more mythology, but it will be presented in a way in which each episode will probably specify and reintroduce what such and such pertains to. It might be redundant, but I think they make it so people can follow it no matter when you tune in.

Oh yeah, I read something about that... it is very cool they do it that way while they still keep exploring their personal stories. It is subtle and indeed anyone can follow it or get interested anytime. Another reason to love Fringe. :D

Btw, Joshua Jackson's sense of humour FTW! :lol: :thumbsup:

PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Next

Return to Fringe Spoilers