[Official] Terra Nova Season 1 Discussion

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

[Official] Terra Nova Season 1 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:28 pm

"Terra Nova"

Mondays, 8:00PM

Discuss Terra Nova's Season 1 Episodes Here.


Image


TERRA NOVA follows an ordinary family on an incredible journey back in time to prehistoric Earth as a small part of a daring experiment to save the human race. In the year 2149, the world is dying. The planet is overdeveloped and overcrowded, with the majority of plant and animal life extinct. The future of mankind is in jeopardy, and its only hope for survival is in the distant past. When scientists at the FERMI Particle Accelerator unexpectedly discovered a fracture in time that made it possible to construct a portal into primeval history, the bold notion was born to resettle humanity in the past – a second chance to rebuild civilization and get it right this time.


PRODUCTION COMPANIES: 20th Century Fox Television, Chernin Entertainment, DreamWorks Television, Kapital Entertainment

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Steven Spielberg, Peter Chernin, René Echevarria, Brannon Braga, Alex Graves (pilot), Jon Cassar, Aaron Kaplan, Katherine Pope, Justin Falvey, Darryl Frank, Craig Silverstein, Kelly Marcel

DIRECTOR: Alex Graves

CAST: Jason O’Mara as Jim Shannon, Stephen Lang as Nathaniel Taylor, Shelley Conn as Elisabeth Shannon, Landon Liboiron as Josh Shannon, Naomi Scott as Maddy Shannon, Alana Mansour as Zoe Shannon, Christine Adams as Mira, Allison Miller as Skye


Source: FOX


Check STV.com/TerraNova for Spoilers.
Image
Image

You have to invite me in.
User avatar
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 8326
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 3:49 am
Location: Fangtasia
Gender: Female


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby Woongo on Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm

Better than I had expected it to be! Sure, it has its flaws. Some scenes were quite cheesy, but overall, it's not bad! The CGI is amazing for a TV show, the acting isn't so bad (I thought it'd be worse). The teenage son was rather annoying though... Jim's actor looks a lot like young Hugh Laurie :lol: I also like it that it has mysteries and isn't just about fighting dinosaurs.

Though I really hope that it continues to be as good. It has potential to get worse with every episode.. :unsure: Hope it's not the case.
Image
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

User avatar
Woongo
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm
Location: Lithuania
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:20 pm

Agreed Woongo, much better than I thought but a little cliched in places.

I'm looking forward to the overall mystery and mythology that appears to be developing.
User avatar
DarkUFO
Administrator
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I thought it was better than expected too! (I love Jason O'Mara!!)
I was super-surprised by it's 18-49 ratings! :scared:

I felt that there is potential to really open up a conspiracy-like can of worms...that idea that no one from 'the future' should be trusted, kind of makes the viewer question everything that we were told in the episode, because ins't everyone from there???....things like if there really is only one way time travel...if there are not other pilgramiges in other parts of history, if they had to go back to this period because "they" found something that they didn't think existed at this point in time (other beings???) -or maybe this time travel, or method of time travel is how they destroyed themselves to begin with???

I think it has great potential and thought as far as Pilots go it gave us just enough to wonder with out completely exploiting where ever the show may end up going...I think people expect way to much from Pilots...it's just suppose to give a sense of a story, but I often find Pilots become better once the story gets going and we can see how the Pilot set's us up to relate to these things that come later.

Visually and Musically I thought it was top notch, but yeah, some of the diolgue needs to improve IMO..
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby DarkUFO on Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm

DarthLocke wrote:I thought it was better than expected too! (I love Jason O'Mara!!)
I was super-surprised by it's 18-49 ratings! :scared:

I felt that there is potential to really open up a conspiracy-like can of worms...that idea that no one from 'the future' should be trusted, kind of makes the viewer question everything that we were told in the episode, because ins't everyone from there???....things like if there really is only one way time travel...if there are not other pilgramiges in other parts of history, if they had to go back to this period because "they" found something that they didn't think existed at this point in time (other beings???) -or maybe this time travel, or method of time travel is how they destroyed themselves to begin with???

I think it has great potential and thought as far as Pilots go it gave us just enough to wonder with out completely exploiting where ever the show may end up going...I think people expect way to much from Pilots...it's just suppose to give a sense of a story, but I often find Pilots become better once the story gets going and we can see how the Pilot set's us up to relate to these things that come later.

Visually and Musically I thought it was top notch, but yeah, some of the diolgue needs to improve IMO..



Very well put.

I think Terra Nova will need an episode like "Walkabout" and what that did to Lost. It really got the viewers invested heavily into the backstories as well as letting the viewers know that it was capable of these WFT moments.
User avatar
DarkUFO
Administrator
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:25 pm

DarkUFO wrote:
DarthLocke wrote:I thought it was better than expected too! (I love Jason O'Mara!!)
I was super-surprised by it's 18-49 ratings! :scared:

I felt that there is potential to really open up a conspiracy-like can of worms...that idea that no one from 'the future' should be trusted, kind of makes the viewer question everything that we were told in the episode, because ins't everyone from there???....things like if there really is only one way time travel...if there are not other pilgramiges in other parts of history, if they had to go back to this period because "they" found something that they didn't think existed at this point in time (other beings???) -or maybe this time travel, or method of time travel is how they destroyed themselves to begin with???

I think it has great potential and thought as far as Pilots go it gave us just enough to wonder with out completely exploiting where ever the show may end up going...I think people expect way to much from Pilots...it's just suppose to give a sense of a story, but I often find Pilots become better once the story gets going and we can see how the Pilot set's us up to relate to these things that come later.

Visually and Musically I thought it was top notch, but yeah, some of the diolgue needs to improve IMO..



Very well put.

I think Terra Nova will need an episode like "Walkabout" and what that did to Lost. It really got the viewers invested heavily into the backstories as well as letting the viewers know that it was capable of these WFT moments.



Thanks and Exactly! :thumbup:
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby Twitchys Girl on Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I didn't really understand why they were so afraid to have too may children because nothing happened to her. I thought Jim was freaking out because the authorities were going to take her away or kill her. If they were just going to get a big fat fine why did he even get upset? OR why didn't they just hide the older girl? She would've fit in the cubby hole and could've kept her mouth shut, unlike a baby. Also, the dinosaurs seem really stupid. After one of the teens is snatched by one and Josh attempts to shoot it, the Dino was nibbling on the teens' foot like he was tasting wine. I'm not sure about this show yet but the neon scribbles at the waterfall gave me a glimmer of hope.
Twitchy's Girl
User avatar
Twitchys Girl
Extra
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:45 pm
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby Ricardus Alpert on Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 am

It wasn't awful, but it was definitely corny at times. What was supposedly the most expensive pilot in history only got 9+ million viewers...so odds are 13 episodes will be all that is made of this show.
Image
...No More
Thanks to Magic Box For the Sig

User avatar
Ricardus Alpert
Emmy Nominee
 
Posts: 2359
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 9:45 pm
Location: Chicago
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:30 pm

Ricardus Alpert wrote:It wasn't awful, but it was definitely corny at times. What was supposedly the most expensive pilot in history only got 9+ million viewers...so odds are 13 episodes will be all that is made of this show.



It doesn't quite surprise me though...Speilberg (and buddy Lucus) occasionally have some scenes that could be described as, corny, cheesy, over the top, and/or cliche~

But going back to what I said earlier, I think in some cases with this Pilot, it might seem that way because we have yet to understand the reasons why the 2041 time period became as bad as it was/is, and I think we only skinned the surface as why the Shannon family has struggled and continues to struggle...It seems over the top because we don't yet value what the family has gone through...

(One good thing is that the executives of FOX like sci-fi --so if it can hang on a bit we might get a full season--Fox also does care about it's DVDR numbers ---it's these things that I think really saved FRINGE and gave fans a fourth season)

After rewatching I feel even better about it. I think there's a great deal of political intrigue...I think the characters are already rich and strong characters, which is rare for a Pilot.

Besides the more obvious re-hashing of Jurassic Park it also has a bit of Mad Max feel to it (which I really love!) and even a dash of The Island ("Win" the Lottery to "go to a new an existing life" -but actually it's your death sentence)/Blade Runner...and I have to wonder if Speilberg and Co. have taken a que of Abrams and will continue to present things that almost reference great sci-fi-action-adventure-political classics??! Or if this is just a coincedence and won't go further??

Twitchys Girl wrote:I didn't really understand why they were so afraid to have too may children because nothing happened to her. I thought Jim was freaking out because the authorities were going to take her away or kill her. If they were just going to get a big fat fine why did he even get upset? OR why didn't they just hide the older girl? She would've fit in the cubby hole and could've kept her mouth shut, unlike a baby. Also, the dinosaurs seem really stupid. After one of the teens is snatched by one and Josh attempts to shoot it, the Dino was nibbling on the teens' foot like he was tasting wine. I'm not sure about this show yet but the neon scribbles at the waterfall gave me a glimmer of hope.


Like in some Countries today, we could presume that there are laws on population control because there of not enough resources (food, resources for energy and technology, and medical care)...But we also see that show sets up this future, where because of the damage of the Earth, the Government has become over athoritative! --It isn't clear yet if the Government is justified in their actions, because we don't know why the Earth is in that state and why Jim was breaking several laws when he was a police officer.

In addition however, we see that the leader of Terra Nova also has high standards and we aren't sure if his own "police state" is justified either since the sixers have seem to have pilgrimaged specifically to rebel against Terra Nova...
Image
Image

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
User avatar
DarthLocke
Show Expert
 
Posts: 7904
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:33 pm
Location: The Swan of Island's Past.
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby dutchie on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:09 pm

The worst thing about this show is that they used crappy versions of Jurassic Parks iconic moments.
User avatar
dutchie
Emmy Winner
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby kristy815 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm going to give this one more chance - pilots that have been retooled always seem a little bumpy to me - so I'm hoping that they'll settle down and let us get to know the characters this week. Either there's more to the motivations which would be cool, or the characters have really unnatural reactions to situations which would be bad.
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
User avatar
kristy815
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:25 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby dutchie on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:25 pm

Another thing I dont like is that the lead characters are a family, it always leads to the same lame stories.
User avatar
dutchie
Emmy Winner
 
Posts: 3210
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:14 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.01 Discussion

Postby Woongo on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:27 pm

dutchie wrote:Another thing I dont like is that the lead characters are a family, it always leads to the same lame stories.

This. Family = not cool.
Image
"No use in having rules if there's no punishment for breaking them." - Locke

Thanks to Devil's Arcade for the signature!

User avatar
Woongo
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 909
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm
Location: Lithuania
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.03 Discussion

Postby Ladye Rigel on Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:24 am

Tonight's episode seemed quite predictable right down to Zoe getting left out in the main room and attacked by the cute little mini pteradactyal like creature.

Hopefully next week will be better.
The Seven Sisters
User avatar
Ladye Rigel
Viewer
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:43 am
Gender: Female

Re: [Official] Terra Nova Ep. 1.03 Discussion

Postby Notice on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:04 pm

I must say I really like the characters. Especially Maddy :D

Today's episode was okay, although it was really quite predictable.
It doesn't matter who we were... It only matters who we are.

Life sucks, and then you die. And then it still sucks.
User avatar
Notice
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:37 pm
Location: Vienna
Gender: Female

Next

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron