The Wire

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: The Wire

Postby dutchie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Finli Otego wrote:
dutchie wrote:And that bloke,Snoop, that is actualy a girl is just painfull to watch.

I love Snoop. She is basically playing herself. She was a drug dealer and did 6 years for second-degree murder in Baltimore.

I know, but I still think she sucks at acting and the character is terrible ;)
I think I should take a little brake after season 4 and watch something else. Maybe Im suffering from an overload of The Wire. Its not the first time I had this with a show.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:24 pm

dutchie wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:
dutchie wrote:And that bloke,Snoop, that is actualy a girl is just painfull to watch.

I love Snoop. She is basically playing herself. She was a drug dealer and did 6 years for second-degree murder in Baltimore.

I know, but I still think she sucks at acting and the character is terrible ;)
I think I should take a little brake after season 4 and watch something else. Maybe Im suffering from an overload of The Wire. Its not the first time I had this with a show.

I agree with Fin...I actually like Snoop, but I'm glad that she doesn't get more screen time than what she got....it was just enough. I agree with you, dutchie, about the whole Marlo thing. I don't like Marlo. My favorite of his crew is actually Chris. I think he's a great character...he's so quietly bad ass. Marlo kinda gets on my nerves, though...especially that whole thing where he stole those two lollipops right in front of the security guard...and then had the poor guy killed when he said something to him about it. :thumbsdown:

Wire overload?? :lol: You and I are actually at the same point in the series...I haven't seen season five either, but I watched the other seasons at different times. I saw the first and second seasons as they originally aired on HBO. I rewatched them about 6 months ago before finally getting to see season three. Then last month I watched season four. Season five will be On Demand on my digital cable this month so I will finally finish the series.

I liked every season..1 through 4 so far, and I'm sure that I will like season five as well. If I had to rank the seasons in order of how much I enjoyed them, it would probably go like this:

Season Four
Season Three
Season Two
Season One

So....basically, each season just go better and better IMO. :thumbsup:
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:18 pm

I watched 4 season in 3 weeks or something, its not good :lol:
For me the ranking so far is like this. 2/3/1/4
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:25 pm

I take it you weren't a big fan of the school system storyline?

I enjoyed it because I liked the new characters. Dookie, Randy, Michael, and Naymond were all totally different examples of the human condition during those mid teenage years.

Dookie was a kind hearted guy with a terrible home life....his guardians gave him absolutely no chance to succeed in life. When people tried to help Dookie out and give him clothes, food, etc, his people would just sell it to get drugs. Of the four, I think Dookie was most capable of success in life if he only had more support and stability outside of school. I sympathize the most with Dookie because I new kids like him when I was growing up and hated it when other kids made fun.

Randy was a good kid that tried to act much tougher than he really was. He had a lot of respect for his foster mother and was devastated when she was burned in the fire. He was labeled as a snitch for telling the police about Little Kevin setting up Lex to get killed early in the season. At the end of the season he was sent to a group home. I imagine that if he's shown during season five, he will be hardened by the group home and will be a totally different person because of it.

Naymond had a good heart but he tried to hold up a tough exterior. He was privileged compared to his friends because of who his father was and what he did. His mother forced him to try to follow in Wee Bey's footsteps but he just was not cut out for it. It was obvious that Naymond wanted to do better for himself and get away from the drug corner lifestyle. Colvin saw that potential and rescued him from it. I thought it was very good of his father to let Naymond go. Naymond will probably be the only success story in this group.

Michael is a cold blooded but conflicted character. He cares very much for those close to him, but he definitely has a very cold, uncaring view on outsiders. I haven't seen season five, but I predicted after I saw the end of season four that Michael would end up being the "new Omar Little". I know that he's working for Marlo as season four ended, but I see him striking out on his own before long.

Just my take on the kids..

One thing I was a little disappointed about during season four was the lack of McNulty! Jimmy McNulty is definitely my favorite character on the law enforcement side of the show. He didn't get anywhere near enough screen time in my opinion.

Favorite characters:
1. Omar
2. Bodie
3. Stringer Bell
4. Jimmy McNulty
5. Bunny Colvin

I also have a lot of favorite "shorter term" characters that weren't around for long time like Wallace, D'Angelo, and Ziggy.

I like The Wire so much because it wasn't just about drug dealers and cops. It constantly was evolving into more and more about life in an inner city environment. The addition of the politics, school system, organized crime, and the newspaper (season five) aspects were great additions in my opinion. It was a show about the decisions people make based on all factors....environment, family, education, etc..

Sorry if I rambled.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:42 pm

What I miss in season 4 is the main chast we have followed the first 3 seasons. I didnt mind a lot less McNulty(he's a big arse) but I did miss the rest. I dont mind the new kids on the block(or should I say corner), but I do mind them being the new lead characters O.o
I was glad Stringer died last season. The bloke was really getting on my nerves.
Ziggy, glad we never saw him again.
Omar is cool. Liked him from the start and I still do.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I thought Stringer was a great character, but I was also glad that he got what was coming to him by Omar and Brother Muzzone.

Omar is one of the best characters of all time IMO. I would have liked to see more of him...sometimes he went absent for several episodes. It seemed like every season, Omar was MIA for the first 2-3 episodes.

What do you think about Tommy Carcetti?

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:15 pm

I dont really care for him, so I dont care what happends to him.

Every season you know that in ep 2 or 3 Omar is going to make some awesome extrance :D
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 pm

I watched the first 3 episodes of season five and will watch some more tonight. As usual, it took almost 3 full episodes before Omar made an appearance. :lol:

So far, I'm enjoying season five, but I have to say that McNulty's storyline is a little crazy...even for him!

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:27 pm

I'm almost finished with season five. I have two episodes left, and I have to say....I like season five more than I thought I was going to. McNulty's crazy scheme is definitely that.....crazy, but it also seems like something the character would try to pull off...so I'm okay with it. :lol:

I watched episode 5.08, Clarifications, this morning before work....and it's probably my favorite episode of the season so far....even though I HATE the way Omar was killed. I hate it that he didn't get his total revenge on Marlo because I HATE Marlo Stanfield...as much as one can hate a fictional character anyway. :lol: It was actually a huge shock when Omar got shot in the back of the head....but looking back, I should have seen it coming. When Omar was limping down that alley, the group of kids jumped up and ran off....except for one....the one that popped him. It's fitting to Omar's character that it wasn't Chris, Snoop, Michael, or any of Marlo's crew that killed him. Omar is too good for that...he even survived the ambush at Monk's apartment. That it was a kid that got him makes sense from a storytelling perspective because Omar has survived too many shootouts with his enemies over the years (in the show). RIP Omar Little....one of the greatest dramatic television characters of all time.

I really enjoyed the part of the episode where McNulty and Kima went to Quantico for the FBI profile of the serial killer. It was funny to watch McNulty's face as they were giving the profile because it was describing him perfectly!! :lol: Every bit of it. As they were leaving, Kima asked McNulty, "What do you think?" To which, McNulty said, "They're in the ballpark." :rofl:

I'm going to watch the final two episodes of the series tonight when I get home....I hope they're good! :thumbsup:

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:35 pm

The serial killer arc, while being the least believable in the series, is definitely a memorable one. I really liked how the final season is kind of a McNulty showcase. We see just how far he's willing to go. And an unexpected benefit to such a crazy storyline: It is, at times, freaking hilarious. And the scene at the FBI that you mentioned is just classic.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:57 pm

What did you think of Omar's death?

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Sawyer5665 wrote:What did you think of Omar's death?

Oh boy, I was heartbroken. But I thought it was sort of fitting. That kid is so apparently heartless and fearless, he seems like a young Marlo...
And I would have been disappointed if Omar had gone out in some super-hero blaze of glory, which would have destroyed any realism that the show is striving for.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:15 pm

Finli Otego wrote:
Sawyer5665 wrote:What did you think of Omar's death?

Oh boy, I was heartbroken. But I thought it was sort of fitting. That kid is so apparently heartless and fearless, he seems like a young Marlo...
And I would have been disappointed if Omar had gone out in some super-hero blaze of glory, which would have destroyed any realism that the show is striving for.

My thoughts exactly!! Omar lived a crazy and fearless life by being super careful/vigilant. He robbed drug dealers for a living!!! He survived the ambush at Monk's apartment by jumping out the window for crying out loud! I, too, would have been upset if it had been one of Marlo's crew that killed him. Although I hated to see it, it only made sense that someone Omar would NEVER suspect would be the one that killed him. I thought that they foreshadowed Omar's death perfectly by showing the kid in the alley...apparently torturing a cat...and he was fearless then. He didn't jump up and run away when his friends did at the sight of Omar. The only thing that I was disappointed with about Omar's death was that he wasn't able to get true revenge on Marlo....I'm not sure what is going to happen with Marlo over the final two episodes, but I have to say that if Marlo is killed....I'm going to be VERY disappointed that Omar wasn't the one that did it. Also, I hope that Michael Lee gets out from under Marlo...leaves his crew. We'll see...

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Postby dutchie on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:02 pm

Finli Otego wrote:The serial killer arc, while being the least believable in the series, is definitely a memorable one. I really liked how the final season is kind of a McNulty showcase. We see just how far he's willing to go. And an unexpected benefit to such a crazy storyline: It is, at times, freaking hilarious. And the scene at the FBI that you mentioned is just classic.

Well, I guess its not really a season for me then.
Im still on a break from The Wire, I still have to finnish season 4. But somehow Im just not feeling it. I dont care about Marlo, he's lame and by the sound of it his story will continue throught he next season :sleep:
I dont care for the new kids on the block, I dont care about the terminator and his boxing school. Everyone I do care to watch is very much in the background this season.
I do like the lack of McNulty.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby Sawyer5665 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:29 pm

dutchie wrote:
Finli Otego wrote:The serial killer arc, while being the least believable in the series, is definitely a memorable one. I really liked how the final season is kind of a McNulty showcase. We see just how far he's willing to go. And an unexpected benefit to such a crazy storyline: It is, at times, freaking hilarious. And the scene at the FBI that you mentioned is just classic.

Well, I guess its not really a season for me then.
Im still on a break from The Wire, I still have to finnish season 4. But somehow Im just not feeling it. I dont care about Marlo, he's lame and by the sound of it his story will continue throught he next season :sleep:
I dont care for the new kids on the block, I dont care about the terminator and his boxing school. Everyone I do care to watch is very much in the background this season.
I do like the lack of McNulty.

I'm curious, dutchie....what do you like about The Wire? Why did you watch so much of it?? Was it a case of you liked the first couple of seasons, but season four lost your enthusiasm for it? If you dislike McNulty so much, I'm just curious how you got through the first season. :lol: I loved all five seasons, personally. I liked how each season brought something new to the show.

Cutty, the boxing guy, is only shown during one scene in the entire fifth season. Marlo is a big part of season five. The kids and school system are not a part of season five. Dookie and Michael Lee are basically the only two back for season five. McNulty is a huge part of the final season after being in the background during season four.

I just finished season five, and I loved it.....especially the last three episodes. I will comment more on the ending a little later.

Take me to another land,
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General