Red Dwarf

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Red Dwarf

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:04 am

One of the funniest shows from my youth. It started out as a Radio 4 stint, as did so many great TV shows of the late 80's, and was created by Rob Grant and Doug Naylor. It focuses on the 'odd couple' relationship between the last human alive, Dave Lister, and a hologram of his former bunkmate, Arnold Rimmer. There were also a number of book tie ins, such as the awesome Backwards which is well worth a read. There was also a US remake with new actors, except for Robert Llewllyn who played Kryten, but I've never seen it so I don't know how true to the original it was.

There was a recent announcement that they are filming a couple of new episodes this year, I just hope they go back to how the show started and dont go down the same route as Seasons 7 and 8! Here's probably my favourite scene, Chris Barrie in a gingham dress ftw :D He was also brilliant as Ace Rimmer "What a guy!" :wub:

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Red Dwarf

Postby Rosalind on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:09 pm

I loved this too, I'd forgotten I have some of the seasons on DVD somewhere- I'll have to dig them out again.

Any thread about Red Dwarf wouldn't be right with out someone asking- When's the film coming out?

So i'll ask!
Is the film still planned? It's been under discussion for ages, has someone said that it definitely won't happen yet? Is this old news? :P

:D
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby Sandiwich11 on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:01 pm

No film by the looks of it, here's what I found on wiki

For years, the future of the series was uncertain. There were attempts to make a movie, but funding could not be found. The BBC then rejected plans for a ninth series. In September 2008, the official Red Dwarf website confirmed a new four-episode production (two regular episodes plus supporting anniversary and 'making of' shows) had been commissioned by the digital channel Dave.

If these episodes take off I suppose a film could be made, but the cast look so much older now I can't help wondering how it will look, lol. It will be interesting to see what they do with the show now it's out of the BBC's hands.

Follow me on Twitter: Sandiwich11
Sandiwich11
Former Staff Member

Postby Rosalind on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:48 pm

The BBC have an update on the airing of the new two- part series....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7851989.stm

The new two-part series Red Dwarf: Back to Earth will be followed by a "no holds barred" episode without sets, special effects or autocue.

um...whatever that means...? :w00t:
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby zeek on Sat May 02, 2009 3:39 am

Best sitcom ever! :D

I know everything there is to know about Red Dwarf!

A lot of my favourite scenes just feature banter between Lister and Rimmer. Their interaction really made the show for me.

Amazing! :wub:
zeek
Emmy Winner

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General