Just discovered, "Joan of Arcadia"...

General discussion of old, retired shows

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Just discovered, "Joan of Arcadia"...

Postby amous05 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:10 pm

So, I have a question...was anyone here ever a fan of the show, Joan of Arcadia? I have netflix, so for fun, I decided to rent some TV shows on DVD that I never got a chance to watch, but when they originally aired I wanted to watch them. Randomly, I decided to rent the show Joan of Arcadia...I remember when It came out years ago I saw like 1 episode and I loved it, but I had other shows that conflicted with this one ...so, (regrettably) I ended up choosing whatever else was on at the time instead.

so recently, I rented Season 1 and I became addicted to it! I mean crazy addicted, I had to know what was happening next! I only get 2 discs at once, so when i got the first 2, I watched all 8 episodes in a row that same day! lol My parents even like it. Then I sent them in the mail and I'd get anxious...like "I NEED TO KNOW WHAT's Happening NOW!!" kinda thing, waiting for the next 2 discs to come...so I found myself thinking about the show at work, or wherever. and after I finished the first season, I watched about...12 episodes of the second online -- cause I was too impatient to wait for the discs...but, I haven't finished the second season yet, because I realized, I was getting outta control watching it so fast! lol So, i'm now waiting for the second season to come, via netflix.

But, what I'm trying to get to is, I did a little research on the show...and I found out (what most of the fans of this show already know) that It only lasted 2 seasons!! :O I was almost positive it lasted for at least 3...and It started in the 1st season with a good 10 million viewers but during the 2nd, went to 8.1 million or something...but they canceled it! Now, there are shows on now averaging 6.5 million (Chuck) and 8.0 million (the office) but they are still on the air (which are 2 shows I love, so by all means i'm not saying they should cancel them!)?

So...What happened? I wanted to get a perspective from people that were really into the show at the time (because I also realize the show was cancelled in like 2005), how you felt about it? Also, like I said, i haven't watched all of season 2 yet and I don't want too much given away, but when I was doing research I did find out some of what happens later in season 2 (on accident lol)...and from the sounds of it, season 2's finale was pretty unresolved? Like, I read there was this introduction of a satan character, and adam and joan were broken up, etc...and It makes me not really want to watch the rest of season 2, because I feel like I'll just be very frustrated and disappointed that there is not a 3rd season and Adam and Joan never end up together because of it! so, i'm conflicted, Should I finish watching the 2nd season?

and if there wasn't really any closure and the show was canceled so unexpectedly (which is what I found in my search) lol, why is that? I mean, if they were gonna cancel it, couldn't they wait until the 3rd season and give those 8 million fans - plus, some closure? or some type of good ending...I mean, In my research CBS gave bogus reasons for cancelling it, like -- "well these other shows seem to be getting good ratings (I forget what they were, but they were ones that were all cancelled after a short period of time anyway!! :x ) and there isn't really a place for this show here...yaddah yaddah yaddah..." Is there something I'm missing here or what? What happened?!!! and i'm mad that I wasn't watching the show back then, because I would have done everything in my power to try to get this show back on, and now, years later...it's too late, but I'm wicked into the show! lol

I mean, it's one of the best written and acted shows I've ever seen. It's a QUALITY show. Show's like this don't come around often, it's well thought out and a lot of TALENTED writers/actors/etc. worked on this show. You can TELL! this isn't stuff that people pulled out of there ass...It's quality television. it's well written, the actors and actresses have GREAT comedic timing, there's a little crime scene investigation drama, It's spiritual (I'm not religious, but I still loved the show and didn't find it "PREACHY" or anything) It's romantic - adam and joan, were like one of the best on screen (TV) couples I've ever seen...they were REAL, and I mean, when a show can translate real life so well, versus making it a "TV" life, (if you know what I mean) they are doing something amazing! It has a great message...It was something for everyone!

And, i'm sorry, I know I'm babbling...I hope I didn't lose anyone in my long message! But...I'm just so upset and shocked...4 years too late...that this show got canceled so unexpectedly! :cry: :cry: I don't know, what do ya'll think?
ImageImageImageImage
* 90210 * American Idol * Beverly Hills:90210 * Bones * Chelsea Lately * Chuck * CSI:Miami * DWTS * Family Guy * F.R.I.E.N.D.S * The Office
http://www.twitter.com/judgingamy
amous05
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Just discovered, "Joan of Arcadia"...

Postby The Strog on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:07 pm

Moved to Old/Retired Shows :)

Never watched the show, myself. I'm sure there are a few fans around these parts, though. ;)
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby captain jack sparrow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

I thought it was a pretty cool show.....I'm usually not into shows like this,but for some reason I got hooked on it.....Great acting,Joe Mantegna was great in this show...I was just upset the way it was cancelled,they could have at least given the show a real ending,you know tie up some loose ends?? damn tv execs :mad: :mad: :mad:
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Postby ThisWayUp on Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:35 am

OMG, I loved that show. My friend and I would watch it separately and then call each other the next day to discuss it. And we are in our 40's. It was very well written and great acting. The problem is that I heard Amber Tamblyn (Joan) wanted to quit to make movies. Yeah for Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, but come on, she could have made that movie during hiatus.
I felt sick when that show ended. They really did not end it properly in my opinion. It just makes me sad when all of the shows that I really like end.

If you want to watch another great show that only had a few episodes, but was great - try Wonderfalls. It is made by the same guy who wrote Pushing Daisies, another favorite with 12 emmy noms in year one, that got canned. I guess they need to make more room for reality shows.
ThisWayUp
Viewer

Postby Iceman on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:13 am

I used to watch it too, I was mad that it got canceled so abruptly :|
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby bonniesrg on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:22 pm

My mum would watch it religiously and I watched it a bit, it was really unique. She was really annoyed with how it ended.
bonniesrg
Stunt Double

Postby drackodelmal on Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:03 am

Gotta say it was interesting... but the whole psyke of the show was not in my viwing pleasure... it was a really good concept... yet the untimley cancelation did not help the progression of the show :PP
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee

Return to Old & Retired Shows - General