[Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

General discussion for 'Chuck'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby Nick on Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:57 am

Yeah, not at all a fan of Morgan joining the team. He's better as a Buy More crew...I was iffy on him finding out about Chuck to begin with, but putting on the team is going way too far IMO
Image
User avatar
Nick
Emmy Winner
 
Posts: 3598
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 pm
Location: Hell (AKA Florida)
Gender: Male


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:52 am

Phew, what an episode. At least we all agree we finally got rid of Shaw. I'll use bullet points to express my feelings about the episode.

  • I hate how the budget cuts show. Awesome and Ellie were nowhere, and if this were the final episode ever, we wouldn't have a resolution to their story. Although it is fun how they manage to allude to things they can't show. "Cancel the tank!".
  • I also hate the way they handled The Ring. It seemed so ominous at the end of Season 2, but here, they were pretty standard, less threatening than FULCRUM, and they had the same goal: create an Intersect. That's it. Meh. However, I'm hopeful, because of several statements by the showrunners, that the second part of the season will address some of this.
  • However, I pretty much loved the characters this episode. Sarah finally stopped not-being Sarah. We saw more of Casey's soft side, and Chuck used his wits, not the Intersect, to find Sarah and to kill Shaw.
  • Mark Sheppard rocks. I hope we see more of him.
  • The point of the episode, and this first part of the season, was accomplished. Sarah and Chuck are now together. We've got yet to see how the writers handle the relationship, but I don't think it could be worse than keeping them apart.
  • I love how complete Chuck is now. He's in Paris, with the girl he loves, a full-fledged spy, and without stress because of his "secret".
  • Morgan. I like that Casey vouched for him, and I'm curious of how this will work out. Of course he won't be a spy, or an agent. But he could be helpful sometimes in (I hope) hilarious ways.

I think that's all I wanted to say, without my answers to the comments below:

SmokeyD wrote:I wonder if they are gonna drop an intersect in him (Morgan) :O... Or, the magic sunglasses that that other dude (sry, can't remember his name... Yosh???) invented and was trying to sell at Weap-Con???? :S


Glasses, perhaps, for an episode. But I seriously hope they don't give any other good guy an Intersect. However, and that was touched upon in this episode, the Ring has the tech to build an Intersect now. I would LOVE to have this suave bad guy spy, with the Intersect, to be Chuck's nemesis. We need a villain (a single person, not an organization) to fill the role Bryce Larkin kind of had.

JediChewy wrote:I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I hated the episode. Probably one of the worse. I'm so tired of the Chuck+Sarah that now that they are together the feeling is all lost. I mean obviously they'll end up together. I think they should have kept Shaw a good guy til the end and have him die another way, like tragically somehow. It just was so out of character for all of them for me and too quick to deal with. I don't like the idea Morgan is a spy that easily. I like that he can be a spy, but the whole show was just too quick in change of story.


I still had that feeling. Sure, Season 3 handled their relationship pretty badly...but the final scene was a moment of triumph for both of them, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. And I didn't like Shaw at all, but at least in this last episode he acted accordingly to what he believed. And yes, it was rushed. The initial 13 episode order forced them to be rushed. I quite liked that, unlike the last season (and don't get me wrong, I love last season's finale), this finale was more about characters, their choices, and their relationships with each other, than simply a "gamechanger".

Jack91 wrote:Sarah and Chuck finally happenning... the twist they used before "Oh no I can't love you, you killed someone and you changed" was kinda idiotic since he killed Shaw and she didn't seem bothered at all by it. I mean if she SHOULD be bothered by something, it would definatly be Shaw's murder instead of a random spy a couple episodes ago (the fact that Shaw and Chuck worked together for a while should count for something...) Otherwise I'm kinda glad they finally got it over with, the will they wont they got kinda boring after 3 seasons.

The only part I hated was the one in Paris. I'm guessing none of the producers have ever been here, or if they did it was 50 years ago. I live in Paris, and I was shocked to see the set for the scene. Paris is definatly NOT an empty pavement street with a cafe and 50 years old cars, and it kinda ruined the scene for me.


It was different. Last time, Chuck was ordered to kill to become a spy. He didn't want to, but Sarah feared he was willing to change who he was to become a spy. In a way, it mirrors his choice in 3.01, when he chose to train as a spy rather than to be with Sarah. And just like then, Sarah didn't like Chuck's decision. However, here Chuck killed as a last resort, and to save the woman he loves. He didn't come in guns blazing; he tried talking with Shaw. When he couldn't convince him, and Shaw was about to kill Sarah, Chuck did what he had to do. Did he changed by killing Shaw? No. He loves Sarah and would do anything to protect her, and if everything else fails, he's willing to kill. Was Sarah out of character? No, she recognizes that Chuck did what he did to save her, not to advance himself as a spy.

And the Paris scene.... I live in Mexico, and believe me, we aren't all towns with dirt roads, a small chapel, and rural surroundings, as Chuck showed in one episode. And pretty much every episode of a show set in Mexico show the small town as it is the norm. I think Paris has it better in that regard.

Iceman815 wrote:
Nick wrote:I just hope they don't keep on pushing with this stupid will they or won't they business anymore, as it seems like they have, um, solidified, their relationship. :P They have stretched the will they or won't they thing to the max.

That is a big part of the show. I think as long as the show goes on, that will be a part of it.

Just like Ross and Rachel in Friends, and the triangle in Lost, and Shawn and Juliet in Psych....they keep it going because people like that aspect of the show.

I agree with you though, I wish it would stop, but I don't think it will :P


I disagree here. I'm pretty sure they are, for now, an official couple. They may take a break, or break up later, but for now, they are a couple. I don't think we'll have more of the "will they/won't they" stuff with them. And Icey....people hated that aspect of the show :PP Fans got pretty vocal when the writers kept finding reasons to keep them apart.

Iceman815 wrote:I guess they got a bigger budget for the last 6 episodes

I really hope they did. As I said earlier, the low budget showed :( NBC, just cancel Heroes and give its budget to Chuck!
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Image


Image
User avatar
Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby Iceman on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:01 am

Dreyesbo wrote:
Iceman815 wrote:
Nick wrote:I just hope they don't keep on pushing with this stupid will they or won't they business anymore, as it seems like they have, um, solidified, their relationship. :P They have stretched the will they or won't they thing to the max.

That is a big part of the show. I think as long as the show goes on, that will be a part of it.

Just like Ross and Rachel in Friends, and the triangle in Lost, and Shawn and Juliet in Psych....they keep it going because people like that aspect of the show.

I agree with you though, I wish it would stop, but I don't think it will :P


I disagree here. I'm pretty sure they are, for now, an official couple. They may take a break, or break up later, but for now, they are a couple. I don't think we'll have more of the "will they/won't they" stuff with them. And Icey....people hated that aspect of the show :PP Fans got pretty vocal when the writers kept finding reasons to keep them apart.


If Ross and Rachel, or Kate and of the two knuckleheads got together in the second season.......that would lose a big storytelling device. Yeah some hated it. But thats some peoples favorite aspect, and they wanted to keep those fans enticed as the people who watch the show for other reasons. Im not one of them, Im just saying :P
Image
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
User avatar
Iceman
Administrator
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 3:46 pm
Location: In Between Karen Gillan and Yvonne Strahovski
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:07 am

Iceman815 wrote:If Ross and Rachel, or Kate and of the two knuckleheads got together in the second season.......that would lose a big storytelling device. Yeah some hated it. But thats some peoples favorite aspect, and they wanted to keep those fans enticed as the people who watch the show for other reasons. Im not one of them, Im just saying :P


Some people like shipping, is your point. The thing is, both of the character couples you mention had other viable choices, and fans rooted for all of them. Personally, I liked Ross and Emily (before she became annoying), and it was a sitcom, they have more room to play with this stuff. In Lost, Kate has two choices, and fans on both camps. She can't choose someone without angering a large fanbase.

However, in Chuck, every shipper (and not shippers, like me) rooted for Chuck and Sarah. I see it like...if Jaters and Skaters were as vocal, but just a single group.

I'm just saying that in this particular show, fans only ship one couple. Nobody liked the will they/won't they.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Image


Image
User avatar
Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator
 
Posts: 3693
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:21 pm
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby Jack91 on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:It was different. Last time, Chuck was ordered to kill to become a spy. He didn't want to, but Sarah feared he was willing to change who he was to become a spy. In a way, it mirrors his choice in 3.01, when he chose to train as a spy rather than to be with Sarah. And just like then, Sarah didn't like Chuck's decision. However, here Chuck killed as a last resort, and to save the woman he loves. He didn't come in guns blazing; he tried talking with Shaw. When he couldn't convince him, and Shaw was about to kill Sarah, Chuck did what he had to do. Did he changed by killing Shaw? No. He loves Sarah and would do anything to protect her, and if everything else fails, he's willing to kill. Was Sarah out of character? No, she recognizes that Chuck did what he did to save her, not to advance himself as a spy.


I dont think it really was different. The whole point for Sarah was: When/If you kill someone, you change, it makes you different. Remember how relieved she was when Casey came to her and told her Chuck didn't kill the mole, "the kid is just not wired that way". I guess the writers had to give the audience this final twist, Chuck becoming a spy and Sarah wanting nothing to do with him anymore.

If Sarah were to overreact to Chuck killing someone, it would definatly be for killing someone who was part of the team, and even saved Chuck's life in occasions instead of a rogue operative willing to do whatever it takes to get away, even killing yet another CIA agent. But maybe i'm the only one who was bothered by this :D
Jack91
Viewer
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:47 pm
Gender: Male

Re: [Official] Chuck Ep. 3.13 Discussion

Postby DharmaLager on Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:19 pm

I think the fact of the matter is: Chuck saved Sarah. Shaw was about to dump her into a river where she would drown and die.

Chuck, in his initial encounter with Shaw, didn't try and shoot him. He tried to reason with him and arrest him. When that didn't work, Chuck did what he had to. I think Sarah saw that and...as I said before, he did save her life.
Image
User avatar
DharmaLager
Show Expert
 
Posts: 1324
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:24 pm
Gender: Male

Previous

Return to Chuck Discussion [No spoilers!]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron