Anna Wu

Spoiler discussion for 'Chuck'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Anna Wu

Postby Nick on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:00 am

Well, just thought I'd say Anna Wu is not a regular next season. I liked her...but she only generally appears in about half the episodes anyways, so if she's still recurring it shouldn't be too noticeable.
http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/11/19/ ... anuary-10/
Nick
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Anna Wu

Postby JediChewy on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:55 pm

I saw this in the premiere when she didn't appear and everyone else did. Typical. They remove the Asian actress and everyone else stays.
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 am

JediChewy wrote:I saw this in the premiere when she didn't appear and everyone else did. Typical. They remove the Asian actress and everyone else stays.

I hardly think it has to do with race. Chuck got budget cuts, so they cut Anna loose, and they reduced their production schedule one day (and killed off Tony Hale). And I think Anna was the weak link in the Buy More chain. You can't have Lester without Jeff, or vice versa, and Big Mike has more plot-possibilities than Anna.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby JediChewy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:54 am

Well what about you can't have Morgan without Anna? You don't know the ugly insides for sure as to the reason for cutting her and neither do I, but it looks obvious(to me anyway). I mean Anna ran off with some guy is their explanation? Yeah ok. It's just as bad as them shooting Emmett, and everyone's laughing and moving on in the next scene. Just like other show cuts, ei) LOST cut out all African Americans. Budget cuts do not entirely get rid of actors especially ones that have been on for 2 +years unless you were written to die or something. Nobody wants to hear the ugliness of inside Hollywood.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:14 am

But we can have Morgan without Anna. In fact, we had him like that for most of Season 1. And he's doing fine by himself now.

Of course we don't know the inner workings, but that doesn't necessarily means they cut her because of racial reasons. By that logic, Big Mike, Lester, or even Morgan could be cut for not being of American heritage. In this interview, Josh Schwartz expressed he wanted the whole cast back.

And I'm pretty sure Emmet was another casualty of budget cuts. I can't imagine is exactly cheap to be paying Tony Hale.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby JediChewy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:25 am

Dreyesbo wrote:
And I think Anna was the weak link in the Buy More chain.

I think you misunderstood me. I didn't mean they cut Anna out because she was simply Asian. That would be discrimination on the job force by those who work on the show. I meant she was cut because Race is something nobody talks about in terms of what and who viewers rather see. Just like your statement here about her being a weak link. Why do you think she was? Personally I did not think anyone was weak link in the Buy More Chain. But the TV audience out there does think this way (perhaps unconsciously racial) or shows would have a much more diverse cast than predominantly Caucasian. Viewers much rather see Morgan getting it on with a tall model red head.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby spoil_me on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:36 am

I thinbk many o fyou are looking this too complicated. They needed to cut budget! Ok this usually means staff reduction. Lets go down the list

Chuck (no show without him)
Sarah (see above)
Casey (He too big a part of things)
Morgan (No way hes comic relief)
Jeff or Lester (Maybe but they still have uses if Buy more is still part of show)
Emmett (Well we know answer to that)
Big Mike (Hes a maybe but he still has uses on show again if Buy More remain part of show)
Captain Awesome (He could go show would be fine without him even if we like him)
Sister (She can go as well. Might make for some strong emotional storylines if she did get in harms way)
Anna (Shes cute but has no major role in Chuck's daily life or anyones including Morgan)
The General (Maybe but not yet)

Ok did I miss anyone? Its not about race or anything like that its about money and who can they lose without harming show
Give me the "OMG WTF" spoilers!
spoil_me
Stunt Double

Postby JediChewy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:51 am

There is really no need for Jeff or Lester in my opinion. Seriously I forgot all about them until they reappeared. And this article after last season, posted TV characters that really need to disappear from TV and one of those people was Morgan. You see it in every show, not just Chuck - the "cut" and most of them are minorities, or their roles are reduced to a minimum. They could have written Anna's character better into the show to incorporate with everyone in the last seasons. But the show has a bit of a "male chuvunistic" quality about it anyway(virtually all prime time TV has male dominance in the ensemble) and it's risky giving an Asian a "Big" role. I've seen it. At least they didn't kill her off. But like I said earlier. We would never really know the reason why Anna Wu was cut(but people won't say it's racial), they would rather say its because of budget cuts. Funny, they sure got a lot of actors/extras/guest stars on these recent episodes though.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:25 am

Well, those are just opinions on which characters should/shouldn't be. We agree to disagree there. From my point of view, Chuck needs a normal friend to ground himself, and as 3.01 showed, Morgan is needed to portray that Chuck could be doing so much worse. And I feel the Jeffster duo can carry the slapstick of the show (which, even if it's comedy at its lowest point, can be funny when used correctly). I still think their rendition of Mr. Roboto, inter-cut with the shots of the shootout at the wedding, is one of the most "awesome" scenes I've seen.

And they do bring a lot of guests stars, but they have always done so. Rachel Bilson, Chevy Chase (!), Scott Bakula (!!)... guest stars allow you to tell stories that just can't be told with other characters. Plus, Julia Ling was a regular in Season 2, and my understanding is that actors that have "regular" status get paid more. And as I mentioned, Julia Ling isn't the only cast member in Chuck that is part of a minority.

And what you said earlier, about why I thought she was the weak link. There are more opportunities for comedy from Jeff and Lester, because their characters are how they are. I can picture them just cruising around in the Nerd Herd mobile at night, like when they stumbled into Chuck and Jill at the restaurant. I can see them having a lame band that can integrate with other stories. While Anna was mostly just there. Sure, we met here parents. And had a fling with another guy. And she has some ability fighting...But as a character, it was underdeveloped.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby spoil_me on Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 am

As long as there is a Buy More there will be a need for Jeff, Lester and Big Mike without it they are the weak links. Chuck needs a "normal" friend I agree> Morgan also needs to be less than Chuck which he is. He reminds me some of Sock form Reaper. Only because hes normal but really odd
spoil_me
Stunt Double

Postby JediChewy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:36 am

I originally thought they would get rid of the entire Buy More altogether. It sure seemed like it at the end of the last season, but I guess they couldn't see how it would work with just the main characters doing spy work. Personally I don't see a need for the Buy More and using Awesome as a spy story you can see the writers are struggling to fit everyone else in Chuck's life into a story as he makes his transition into nerd to spy. It's just a matter of time until sister knows Chuck is a spy.

There are not a lot of roles for minorities especially Asian females on American TV. Those that are on the show I celebrate because they are the ones that represent that Asians are not just some foreigners that speak an odd language. You don't get that idea when you see other minorities but it stands out with Asians. So when Anna was cut, that was a big disappointment. They could have written her better to incorporate her into the show somehow, but like I said this is a male dominant show. Just how many females do you see as the main cast? 2-3(if you include the General). And the rest are guys to get it on with the comedy. I don't blame the show. It's what the audience likes to see. Like my opinion about people rather see Morgan getting it on with a hot red head than Anna or him just being a loser. It's just the way it is. The show is not without it's stereotypes. It's just entertainment.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby spoil_me on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 am

Problem with keeping Anna is that her relationship with Morgan was becoming just as interesting as Chuck and Sarah and they can't have that. Lesser storylines need to stay lesser and Morgan/Anna was getting big
spoil_me
Stunt Double

Postby JediChewy on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:18 am

The story of 3 bachelors: Morgan, Lester, Jeff is even more boring. The fact Morgan had a steady girlfriend makes him look more like a man who is capable of taking responsibilities and makes Chuck look more like a loser since he and Sarah are always on and off in other people's eyes. This makes a better story in my opinion. Besides the story with Morgan and Anna is not a big story. It's more about the viewers/writers wanting to use the Morgan character in a more flexible way in the story when female characters come along. Lester and Jeff are never able to get a girl and Anna being in the way.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby DharmaLager on Thu May 20, 2010 6:16 pm

Morgan's role as Chuck's best friend (and now a member of team Bartowski) makes him very important. Morgan just might be my favorite character. I do enjoy Jeffster, but as it's been said, they aren't needed in every episode. Thing is, they as well as Big Mike aren't in every episode.

As for Awesome and Ellie, I think since family is so important to Chuck it's important they are part of the show but I find it hard to believe one of them won't be in harms way again...possibly with a fatal result, sooner than later.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 am

I totally lol'd at this thread, Chewy is CAARAAAZZYYY.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Next

Return to Chuck Spoilers