[Official] FlashForward Ep. 1.15 Discussion

General discussion for 'Flash forward'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] FlashForward Ep. 1.15

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:21 pm

beresford wrote:
BenLOSTLinus wrote:
beresford wrote:I'm sorry, what does QFT mean?

Quote for truth I believe.

Oh, thank you for explaing that to me :D

Yeah, it just means Quoted for Truth. :P
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:29 pm

vader182 wrote:Yeah, I didn't see the twist coming... but honestly that's because it doesn't really make sense. It was a good episode in terms of how bad the first half of the season was... the last half you can tell they really picked it up to save it from being canceled.

IGN's review of the ep accurately captured how I felt about the twist

One of my biggest TV pet peeves is when a shocking twist comes along that totally erases and destroys the meaning and sentiment behind scenes you've already seen and emotionally invested in. What about Janis' trip with Simon to Canada? She was really one of the people behind his sister's kidnapping? Baloney. What about the couple of heart-to-hearts she's had with Demetri in the past few episodes? What about all the times that we saw her, away from the Bureau, acting genuine? She was behind that D.C. attack? You can't just have forward momentum on a show – you need to be able to preserve what we've already seen and experienced. And look at that. I'm already ranting.

Gotta agree with you on that one Vader, and with all due respect to some but this is really pushing the limit IMHO. ANd not in a good way...

TPTB seem to be just making things up as they go. So now D Gibbons/Dyson Frost is a mystical future time/flash forwardie guy who can see everything before they do it? And why is a guy who played him chess 20 years ago even a 'lead'??? That would be like saying that the kid I played basketball with 20 years ago is a 'lead' to find me...

And, although I admit I am not a Chess expert, but do they really record/statistic the play time in seconds for each move?

Sorry, but no thanks... I am rapidly getting to the point of not even watching anymore.
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:33 pm

Please do.
Why want to watch a program then come in to the thread everyweek to moan about it?
Totally see the point if it were Heroes or soemthing, investe dlike 5 years of your life to watching it for it to turn into ****.
However, this is only in it's first season, there no point, find another show that will make you feel happy after it, or make you feel satisfied. :D
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby beresford on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:03 pm

vader182 wrote:
One of my biggest TV pet peeves is when a shocking twist comes along that totally erases and destroys the meaning and sentiment behind scenes you've already seen and emotionally invested in. What about Janis' trip with Simon to Canada? She was really one of the people behind his sister's kidnapping? Baloney. What about the couple of heart-to-hearts she's had with Demetri in the past few episodes? What about all the times that we saw her, away from the Bureau, acting genuine? She was behind that D.C. attack? You can't just have forward momentum on a show – you need to be able to preserve what we've already seen and experienced. And look at that. I'm already ranting.

Even though I liked the twist, I felt the same thing as you're saying and I totally see that you're right, that's why I talked about they making things up as they go... So yes, I liked the moment in which she reveals she is the mole, the "message received" scene was great, but it doesn't make sense in terms of the character. But I'll wait for them to give it sense. Maybe they'll show us flashbacks or something that will make us rethink what we've seen of her earlier. I don't know. Let's wait and see.
Come and participate in the Ultimate Lost Episode List Countdown! Guess the next ones and join the discussion! Now Back to Active!!

Damon Lindelof wrote:Killing off Juliet was was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my career(...) the guilt of executing a character who is so clearly beloved by the audience

Heiots wrote:beresford is Juliet King! Just can't argue that fact.
beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby Nautical Rudie on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Well Janis wasn't behind those attacks was she? I mean, they watched surveillance footage of the second mole which showed her tipping someone off outside the building before all theattacks to place, so she was behind that stuff not Janis. I doubt she even new that Janis was a mole, lik in the Scorcese film The Departed, where the bloke comes to Matt Damon at the end and shoots Di Caprio and says 'did you think you were the only mole in the department?'. So its probably summat like that. I thought the mole was gonna be the CIA guy working with Mark to uncover the mole, cant remember his name right now.
Nautical Rudie
Stunt Double

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:59 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:Well Janis wasn't behind those attacks was she? I mean, they watched surveillance footage of the second mole which showed her tipping someone off outside the building before all theattacks to place, so she was behind that stuff not Janis. I doubt she even new that Janis was a mole, lik in the Scorcese film The Departed, where the bloke comes to Matt Damon at the end and shoots Di Caprio and says 'did you think you were the only mole in the department?'. So its probably summat like that. I thought the mole was gonna be the CIA guy working with Mark to uncover the mole, cant remember his name right now.

The CIA dude's name is Vogel...

I dunno, I guess my disappointment is because it is just too 'twisty', I know someone else mentioned it, but I hafta agree with the idea that TPTB are too willing to throw away so much back story to try for the Oh My Gosh moment. It just feels like they are making things up as they go, with no real ties to the foundation of the characters.

It will be curious to see how they play the whole "Simon knows who the mole is" thing though.

But was I the only one who thinks the Mark moving out thing came kinda abruptly? It felt like they just sprung it on us without a good development...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby HannaK on Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:05 pm

SmokeyD wrote:But was I the only one who thinks the Mark moving out thing came kinda abruptly? It felt like they just sprung it on us without a good development...
I had the same feeling! At the beginning of the episode I was like...uhm...why is he moving out again?

The episode was decent and I didn't see the twist at the end coming...but that is mostly because it literally came out of nowhere
Two Sides wrote:I found the Juliet to my Shawn :wub: :wub:

"Words are futile devices.''
HannaK
Supporting Actor

Postby beresford on Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:44 pm

SmokeyD wrote:
But was I the only one who thinks the Mark moving out thing came kinda abruptly? It felt like they just sprung it on us without a good development...

I also got that vibe. But I kind of understand, it would be a repetition of something we've seen way too much. And they left on good terms, it was just him who decided not to move out of town.
Come and participate in the Ultimate Lost Episode List Countdown! Guess the next ones and join the discussion! Now Back to Active!!

Damon Lindelof wrote:Killing off Juliet was was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my career(...) the guilt of executing a character who is so clearly beloved by the audience

beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby vader182 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:26 pm

beresford wrote:
SmokeyD wrote:

I also got that vibe. But I kind of understand, it would be a repetition of something we've seen way too much. And they left on good terms, it was just him who decided not to move out of town.

When I saw that scene, I was puzzled and confused as to why it was happening, and thought I missed something from a previous episode. Yeah, I didn't. Extremely weak writing. It seems they sometimes forget most of us don't really care about most of the characters.

Also, I will keep watching, and continue to moan. This show has a great concept and even some of the cast is great. Huge potential here... I just feel like it's being completely squandered.
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Postby DestinyFound on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:15 am

So is Janis another mole?
Why did she tell Dominic?
And why Dom say you got the message about him killing his uncle via CPR?
I am so confused . . .

please help
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby vader182 on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:50 am

DestinyFound wrote:So is Janis another mole?
I am so confused . . .

please help

Because they needed the audience to find out she was but couldn't think of a more clever way then her randomly announcing it to us. :mad:
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Postby beresford on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:30 pm

DestinyFound wrote:So is Janis another mole?
I am so confused . . .

please help

Janis is another mole, there were always two moles inside the office, she and the other woman who got caught. The idea was that in case one of them got caught, the other would still be able to act as a mole.

As to why she told him, I think Simon's involvement in the thing is pretty huge, after all he was the guy awake during the blackout, so he's not just someone random to anounce it to. And I thought the thing with Janis being the mole was pretty random, despite cool, yes. But I thought the scene in which she actually reveals it was pretty decent, I did not find it random

beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby Devil's Arcade on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Right, I've had enough, OF COURSE the announcement of the mole would be random, I mean, seriously, there was so much hype and importance about it and if it just turned out to be someone we never bloody knew, then THAT would be a dissapointment.

Vader, the way in which she was announced as the mole WAS clever, and again of course random, how the hell would it not be random? Anyone of them being announed as the mole would be random, why do you think it is called a twist?
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby beresford on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:00 pm

Devil's Arcade wrote:Right, I've had enough, OF COURSE the announcement of the mole would be random, I mean, seriously, there was so much hype and importance about it and if it just turned out to be someone we never bloody knew, then THAT would be a dissapointment.

Vader, the way in which she was announced as the mole WAS clever, and again of course random, how the hell would it not be random? Anyone of them being announed as the mole would be random, why do you think it is called a twist?

Devil's Arcade, as I've said,I have nothing against the way the thing was announced, I thought it was clever as well and I certainly enjoyed that scene, I've even rewatched it. Now, the thing with her being the mole that most people have been attacking is that it doesn't seem to fit with Janice's previous actions, even when we were watching her all by herself, dealing with her feelings and insecurities, not to mention the fact that she got shot because of the information she gave, which is kind of stupid and pointless, even if the idea was only to avoid suspicions. Now, I enjoyed the twist, I really did, because I did not see that coming, but usually it feels better when, even though it's a twist and, because of that, unexpected, you could look back and say "Oh, this thing actually makes more sense now because we know she was the mole". For instance, if Weddeck was the mole, even though it would not be half cool to watch because it wouldn't be half unexpected, people wouldn't be complaining so much, because we haven't exactly watched him on his private life or anything, so it's not like his actions are contradicting the fact that he is mole. Do you get my point?

As I've said before, I enjoyed the fact that she was a mole, I think it gave a new interesting dimenson and dynamic to the show (or at least the possibility of), but I am only trying to justify why it was bit too random.

beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby SmokeyD on Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:36 pm

beresford wrote:
Devil's Arcade wrote:Right, I've had enough, OF COURSE the announcement of the mole would be random, I mean, seriously, there was so much hype and importance about it and if it just turned out to be someone we never bloody knew, then THAT would be a dissapointment.

Devil's Arcade, as I've said,I have nothing against the way the thing was announced, I thought it was clever as well and I certainly enjoyed that scene, I've even rewatched it. Now, the thing with her being the mole that most people have been attacking is that it doesn't seem to fit with Janice's previous actions, even when we were watching her all by herself, dealing with her feelings and insecurities, not to mention the fact that she got shot because of the information she gave, which is kind of stupid and pointless, even if the idea was only to avoid suspicions. Now, I enjoyed the twist, I really did, because I did not see that coming, but usually it feels better when, even though it's a twist and, because of that, unexpected, you could look back and say "Oh, this thing actually makes more sense now because we know she was the mole". For instance, if Weddeck was the mole, even though it would not be half cool to watch because it wouldn't be half unexpected, people wouldn't be complaining so much, because we haven't exactly watched him on his private life or anything, so it's not like his actions are contradicting the fact that he is mole. Do you get my point?

As I've said before, I enjoyed the fact that she was a mole, I think it gave a new interesting dimenson and dynamic to the show (or at least the possibility of), but I am only trying to justify why it was bit too random.

I guess my point with it goes to why is she the mole? She has now been shot, uterus tore up, and mentally screwed over. So either they (bad guys) have alot over her, or are paying her a ton of money, or... there's a third facton at work here.

And, her fluctuating attitude is another huge red flag, she miraculously goes from being this (almost mushy) sap who is trying to get preggers, and telling her close friend (Demetri) about not only the fact that she want's 'one in the oven', but that the traditional way is not her way,.... To becoming this super coy, confident, reassured, uber-hyper spy when talking to Simon...

It just doesn't feel right... :blink:

So, was her getting shot supposed to be part of D. Gibbons' (D. Frost's) plan??? Or, if there's a third faction at play then? Either way, TPTB need to do some explaining or else the story just degrades to a crisis of convienent writing. With no fore-thought or planning...

And, since the Persian woman is working for/with Dyson Frost.. what's her angle? Why tell Demetri anything about his shooting then? Or, did she tell him just to manipulate him towards a specific goal?

If TPTB do not wrap of these 'loose threads' then I am going to move the entire story into the catagory of sloppy writing.
SmokeyD
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Forward [No spoilers!]