[Official] Flash Forward Ep. 1.17 Discussion

General discussion for 'Flash forward'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Flash Forward Ep. 1.17 Discussion

Postby vader182 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:12 am

thetexashammer wrote:I have to admit, for as tough as I've been on Flash Forward, this episode was actually a decent one. In fact, it was probably the best I've seen in a while in regards to plot and storyline. The whole time watching it, I was actually interested in what was going to happen and, until the very end (I'll get to that later), I was glued to the set (unless I had to go to the bathroom).

Enough brown nosing the show, here are the silly things I noticed:

1. One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish? Really? For someone who in his own words said that he's a genious, Dyson Frost sure does seem to like little kids stuff. Pedofile anyone? He sure would be the poster child (no pun intended).

2. I like the green jelly beans! If anyone has had green jelly beans, they know that, aside from the white and black ones, they are the worst of the bunch. Why would any little kid like the mint-flavored green jelly beans. And has anyone figured out whether or not little Charlie is supposed to be autistic or have asburgers? To me, her character seems on the academic level of a 2 or 2 1/2 year old. She's supposed to be in school, but everyone talks to her like a baby. I have a 2 year old and talk to her more like an adult than they ever have on the show. The worse part is that she acts the way they talk to her.

3. The little black boy carrying a superman backback with the cell-phone in it. Taken straight from National Treasure. Good job, producers/director. Can you come up with something on your own, please?

4. OK, so Benford drives to a spot and then starts to run to meet Frost. Here's what I don't get: We later find that Frost parked behind Benford. Once Benford stopped to catch his breath, he looks around and sees Frost walking slowly toward him. The timing doesn't make sense. Benford is either a really slow runner or Frost is an even faster walker. The timing is way off and the producers of Lost would've never made this mistake. Enough comparing to Lost.

5. "Put these cuffs on." "Can I get some water first?" "Sure. PHHHSTTTTTTTT!!!" "Ahhh! You got water in my eyes!" - Do I really have to say anything else?

6. Benford was followed? By a fugitive that just nosedived out of a court window? Psha! First of all, wouldn't they have heard that motorcycle racing toward them or see the dirt flying in the air? I guess the water got in Frosts eyes so he didn't notice. Second of all, when he noticed they were followed, why not run? Didn't he know he was supposed to get shot? I guess that's what he meant when he said it wasn't supposed to happen like this.

7. Benford leaves Frosts' body and runs to the car. Hey everybody, maybe I got lucky and Frost has Demetri tied up in the back of the SUV. I'll open it up to see, nevermind the fact that I could just check in the windows! Nope, no luck here. Thank God for GPS!

8. I'll give the show a break on the Demetri rescue scene. It was pretty good. Nothing horrible that I noticed that would ruin the show.

9. Does nobody have a camera phone anymore? All those flashforwards going to waste because Benford was too cheap to buy a camera phone.

10. The show was pretty good except for the scenes that involved Olivia. First, the scene at the morgue with the autopsy. So they are looking at the guys brain. Ok. But did anyone else notice that when they showed the dead guy's body, he didn't have any scars on his head that would indicate that the brain had been cut out? Second, did anyone else notice that the surgeon she was talking to used to play on the Cosby Show? That was just an interesting fact, but back to the show.

11. The worst part of the show was saved until the very end. So Olivia starts to order coffee and the guy behind her starts to spout off exactly what she was going to order, only really fast. I guess we are supposed to believe that he's some super intelligent guy because he wears a cap and talks really fast and loud. YOU ORDER THIS EVERY TIME EVERY DAY! I get what the show is trying to do here, but can't they get better actors, please? It's like they are getting the cheapest actors they can get and half-way working to get to the plot. This almost ruined a good show for me.

So those were the silly things I noticed from the show. Overall, though, I'd give the show a B. If I was grading it based on a curved scale compared to other Flash Forward episodes, it would receive an A++. If I were grading it based on Lost episodes, F------------.

Enjoy!

Hey!! Watch who you're bad mouthing! That's Gaius fracking Baltar!

I'm really bothered that they killed off one of the only interesting characters on the show, with one of the only known and capable actors as well. Stupid, stupid decision. Gah, as soon as I'm invested in something they kill it. Literally. Or just have Simon vanish for large periods of time, which is -not- appreciated.
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:09 pm

Another point, now that Demitri is alive, how is Zoe going to feel when Janice has a 1/2 asian baby in about 9 months?

Zoe will be able to do the math on this one... A conversation somthing along the lines of:

Zoe, "Uhm, let's see... Janice & Demtri just happened to be on a 'trip' to Somalia together about nine months ago, and now Janice has a 1/2 asian baby :hmm: "...

Demitri "Uh baby, it's just a conicidence, don't worry about it"... O.o
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby fingersplints on Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I just rewatched the last couple of episodes. I definitly think Flashforward has taken a turn for the better.

thetexashammer wrote:2. I like the green jelly beans! If anyone has had green jelly beans, they know that, aside from the white and black ones, they are the worst of the bunch. Why would any little kid like the mint-flavored green jelly beans. And has anyone figured out whether or not little Charlie is supposed to be autistic or have asburgers? To me, her character seems on the academic level of a 2 or 2 1/2 year old. She's supposed to be in school, but everyone talks to her like a baby. I have a 2 year old and talk to her more like an adult than they ever have on the show. The worse part is that she acts the way they talk to her.

I assumed they were probably lime flavored, not mint. And while I hate lime flavored candies, I know a lot of people who like it.

I agree that the Olivia scenes were painful. She kept trying to argue that she didn’t know the man. Come one how hard is it to take time out of your day to try and save your husbands partner
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:44 pm

fingersplints wrote:I agree that the Olivia scenes were painful. She kept trying to argue that she didn’t know the man. Come one how hard is it to take time out of your day to try and save your husbands partner

I hadn't even put that in to perspective until you posted it, but I hafta agree that for as much as I love Sonya W. (Penny :wub: ), the lines they are giving her are not making her look good at all.

It's like every time they give her a scene, I feel like I have to worry about what stupid/ignorant/cold hearted thing will she do or say next...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby fingersplints on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:09 pm

SmokeyD wrote:
fingersplints wrote:I agree that the Olivia scenes were painful. She kept trying to argue that she didn’t know the man. Come one how hard is it to take time out of your day to try and save your husbands partner

I hadn't even put that in to perspective until you posted it, but I hafta agree that for as much as I love Sonya W. (Penny :wub: ), the lines they are giving her are not making her look good at all.

It's like every time they give her a scene, I feel like I have to worry about what stupid/ignorant/cold hearted thing will she do or say next...

wow, I'm surprised it didn't bother you asmuch, since we seem to be on the same page with this show :lol:
they are really trying to distance her and Mark, since their connection seem so strong in the beginning. Their "problems" seem forced in my opinion. They are trying to force a "love triangle" to make the show more interesting and since it is something they know has worked for Lost

same with the Janis/Demitri/ummm I can't remember her name right now :lol: whatever Gabrielle Unions characher is :lol:
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:17 pm

fingersplints wrote:wow, I'm surprised it didn't bother you asmuch, since we seem to be on the same page with this show :lol:
they are really trying to distance her and Mark, since their connection seem so strong in the beginning. Their "problems" seem forced in my opinion. They are trying to force a "love triangle" to make the show more interesting and since it is something they know has worked for Lost

same with the Janis/Demitri/ummm I can't remember her name right now :lol: whatever Gabrielle Unions characher is :lol:

Nope, your right... (But, "her" name is Zoe), I think the part I am protesting more is the 'how' the TPTB want to go about doing it. I agree that seemed it forced, (and practically unsettle-ing). And even by your own statement, it proves that the showrunners try to run back to LOST for plot lines to save this show. But, they don't have the same finese...

It's like they wanna be LOST, but they don't want to dedicate themselves to the same standards. And then they will chatise us for trying to hold them to those standards...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby fingersplints on Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:23 pm

SmokeyD wrote:And even by your own statement, it proves that the showrunners try to run back to LOST for plot lines to save this show. But, they don't have the same finese...

it goes back to the "forced" thing I spoke about, it was very natural with Lost, these relationships kind of just were. Whether it was chemistry, good acting, whatev. I feel like people are being grouped together and then are limited to those pairings, where as with Lost, everyone pretty much was free to talk to whoever.

What I mean is that I find it weird that you'd assume Demitri is pretty much Marks best friend, but Olivia didn't seem to care about saving him. Same goes with why is their not more interactions between Mark and Bryce?
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Postby DSRing on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:05 am

fingersplints wrote:I just rewatched the last couple of episodes. I definitly think Flashforward has taken a turn for the better.

thetexashammer wrote:2. I like the green jelly beans! If anyone has had green jelly beans, they know that, aside from the white and black ones, they are the worst of the bunch. Why would any little kid like the mint-flavored green jelly beans. And has anyone figured out whether or not little Charlie is supposed to be autistic or have asburgers? To me, her character seems on the academic level of a 2 or 2 1/2 year old. She's supposed to be in school, but everyone talks to her like a baby. I have a 2 year old and talk to her more like an adult than they ever have on the show. The worse part is that she acts the way they talk to her.

I assumed they were probably lime flavored, not mint. And while I hate lime flavored candies, I know a lot of people who like it.

I agree that the Olivia scenes were painful. She kept trying to argue that she didn’t know the man. Come one how hard is it to take time out of your day to try and save your husbands partner

I just watched the last 4 episodes to get back into it, i have to admit it got way better.... and you gotta love the Lost shout out with the mouse trap game in Frosts scene.
DSRing
Viewer

Postby vader182 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:02 am

Yeah, the last couple episodes have been better, but it's a far way off from being 'good'. It's better than a lot on telivison, though.

Also, all the scenes with Sonya were awful as you guys are saying. How did this stuff actually get into the episodes?!

I question how so many elements of this show made it passed the writers room.
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
We will be found in the end. 5.23.10

My theory that explains the whole show: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19711&hilit=the+light+side+of+the+force
sXe
vader182
Emmy Nominee

Postby HannaK on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:21 pm

Watched the episode last night and I agree with the majority of what's been said here.
Plus I'd like to add that Charlie is the most annoying 6 year old ever! Also, I'm actually a little bit disappointed that Dimitry survived, I thought it would be more interesting if he had died
Two Sides wrote:I found the Juliet to my Shawn :wub: :wub:

"Words are futile devices.''
HannaK
Supporting Actor

Postby SmokeyD on Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:43 pm

HannaK wrote:Watched the episode last night and I agree with the majority of what's been said here.
Plus I'd like to add that Charlie is the most annoying 6 year old ever! Also, I'm actually a little bit disappointed that Dimitry survived, I thought it would be more interesting if he had died

You and I have always agreed on the whole 'Charlie' thing, at least Dylan has the excuse of being Autistic for his behavior. Charlie is just a frustrating spoiled kid. And, it was one of the interactions between Mark/Olivia/Charlie, just at the end of the scene where Wedick & Mark is trying to get information from Charlie, and she essentially pouts her way out of it, and Olivia blows the two of them off...really poor IMHO :thumbsdown:

vader182 wrote:Yeah, the last couple episodes have been better, but it's a far way off from being 'good'. It's better than a lot on telivison, though.

Also, all the scenes with Sonya were awful as you guys are saying. How did this stuff actually get into the episodes?!

I question how so many elements of this show made it passed the writers room.

Not to make excuses for this bunch, but I have to wonder if there isn't some "Scripting by Network Suits" going on here, Only because it would be a terrible shame if the writing staff was actually this inept!!!
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby beresford on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:20 pm

I agree with you guys about the Olivia character. It's a shame becasue I really like Sonya Walger, but her actions have been just annoying in the last episodes, the whole Lloyd thing was just painful to watch. Not her fault, but someone doesn't know the material that is being given to her!
Come and participate in the Ultimate Lost Episode List Countdown! Guess the next ones and join the discussion! Now Back to Active!!

Damon Lindelof wrote:Killing off Juliet was was one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done in my career(...) the guilt of executing a character who is so clearly beloved by the audience

Heiots wrote:beresford is Juliet King! Just can't argue that fact.
beresford
Emmy Nominee

Postby fingersplints on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:35 am

This is really hard for me to explain so I will try my best. I feel like with Olivia , they are trying to distance the viewer from her. They started off strong with her: mom, loving wife, doctor. But I almost feel like they have been trying to seperate us from her.
mafia timer

Miss Ford <3
fingersplints
Star Billing

Postby thetexashammer on Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:51 pm

I sure hope so...they destroyed the character of a very good actress that is probably loved by most fans. Now, at least to me, I can't stand the scenes that she's in.
thetexashammer
Viewer

Postby SmokeyD on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

fingersplints wrote:This is really hard for me to explain so I will try my best. I feel like with Olivia , they are trying to distance the viewer from her. They started off strong with her: mom, loving wife, doctor. But I almost feel like they have been trying to seperate us from her.

thetexashammer wrote:I sure hope so...they destroyed the character of a very good actress that is probably loved by most fans. Now, at least to me, I can't stand the scenes that she's in.

I gotta say the two of you got this one definately right :thumbup:

Here you have a show that needs LOST fans to survive. The epic that is (and soon to be 'was') LOST has millions of fans who are going to be looking for a new fix. And FF had one of the most popular, non-regular characters of LOST and TPTB decide that it would be better to make her out as a cold, unsympathetic, conniving Beotch...

So, they poison Olivia's personality... Then make Janice a mole... And the they leave Dominic M. out of an entire episode...

Smooth moves writers... really clever[sarc]. Maybe your next jobs will be writing ads for the yellow pages :thumbsdown:

-- Merged Double Post --

Whelp... looks like it's pretty much been decided, although the page also has some possibly bad news for "V", if you read the part under the list, it pretty much says it all regarding FF...

TV By The Numbers...
http://tvbythenumbers.com/category/renewcancel-abc-shows
SmokeyD
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Forward [No spoilers!]