Maybe ABC is starting a trend

General discussion for 'Flash forward'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Maybe ABC is starting a trend

Postby Cyndyk on Tue May 18, 2010 7:47 pm

Back in the late seventies or early eighties, I can't remember exactly, one of the networks tried a series of 'Novels for Television'. There would be three to six 2-hour episodes based on novels, and I liked that better than seeing movies based on novels. For obvious reasons- movies had to leave out too much.

When I realized that Flash Forward and Happy Town were both based on novels, I started thinking that maybe it would be a good thing to spend a couple seasons on a show, to completely cover the whole book, then end it and start another one. You get a great story, and see how it ends.

Not that I believe ABC is doing this, but it would be something for them to consider, and stop talking about cancelling shows after the second episode. I hate that they have actually been giving us some good new shows, worth at least a 2 year investment, and then changing their minds. I don't get it.
ImageImage

"There was Winkage" Audrey Parker
Cyndyk
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Maybe ABC is starting a trend

Postby b3rt4 on Tue May 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Cyndyk wrote:I don't get it.

The ratings sucked, that's all. What were they supposed to do?

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby Devil's Arcade on Tue May 18, 2010 9:18 pm

Yeah, let's keep a show that is COSTING money that no one watches.
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby Cyndyk on Thu May 20, 2010 8:00 pm

I think ratings on Happy Town shouldn't even be looked at after only 2 shows. For that matter, Lost was in danger twice during its run, but ABC stuck with it, and gave it every push it could.

I am glad that at least FF will have a conclusion, so the ppl who did like it won't feel like we are being overlooked. Maybe we aren't in the 'important demographic', but then, neither was Lost.
ImageImage

"There was Winkage" Audrey Parker
Cyndyk
Guest Star

Postby b3rt4 on Thu May 20, 2010 9:08 pm

That's why they postponed the 3 or 4 remaining episodes of Happy Town to July or something...

TigerBlood
b3rt4
VIP

Postby DarthLocke on Thu May 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Cyndyk wrote:I think ratings on Happy Town shouldn't even be looked at after only 2 shows. For that matter, Lost was in danger twice during its run, but ABC stuck with it, and gave it every push it could.

I am glad that at least FF will have a conclusion, so the ppl who did like it won't feel like we are being overlooked. Maybe we aren't in the 'important demographic', but then, neither was Lost.

I agree with you. I think they should at least give shows a 5 to 10 epsiode run before calling it quits...especially since alot of people might also watch "later" via internet/itunes/ect...

I think it's unfair to the writers and the cast to not let them get their sea legs.

With Lost we were lucky. :)

Personaly I think the public is too critical. So eager to slam things down. I liked all the actors in FF and would have liked it if they could had a little more time to develope the plot.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby QueenZ on Fri May 21, 2010 1:39 am

I guess not enough people watched it, but I was enjoying FF and hoping it might fill some of the void that will be left once Lost is over.
QueenZ
Stunt Double

Postby Michelle on Fri May 21, 2010 3:34 am

I think they put Happy Town on at a horrible hour and day, Wednesday at 10 pm, way to late. I am wiped out by that time and in no mood to start watching a new show.
Michelle
Emmy Nominee

Postby DestinyFound on Sun May 23, 2010 8:55 pm

I think that FF did indeed had bad ratings and i see why they are canceling it, but I wish they would cancel V instead
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Anarvin on Fri May 28, 2010 10:20 am

DestinyFound wrote:I think that FF did indeed had bad ratings and i see why they are canceling it, but I wish they would cancel V instead

Really? Not not V was awsome or anything, but it was still so better then Flashforward. That show had so much promise, but it went to hell after few episodes. Its pretty clear, why rattings were so bad in this case: The show just isnt good. It pretty much reminds me Jericho. It had also great premise, but instead of using that concept to its full potentional, it turned to **** soap opera (with few sci-fi elements) instead. Pretty much same thing happend to FF, for most of episodes. At the other hand, V is pretty decent sci-fi show. Nothing new, but still quiet enjoyable.
Anarvin
Extra

Postby Stupot on Sat May 29, 2010 5:03 am

Nah, I way prefer FF... I mean V is okay, but FF is gonna go down as one of my favourite shows...
It looks like they had some really intriguing plans for season two, and I'm gutted they've ancelled it, but I can understan why... just not enough people were watching it :(
Lost: Season 6 Countdown Blog - http://countdownlost.blogspot.com/
Stupot
Viewer

Postby charliefan4life on Sat May 29, 2010 6:19 am

The ending of FF left us with a lot of stuff I would have liked to have seen played out. I thought it started out so-so but got much better after the winter hiatus. (Side note: I liked Jericho, I was sorry that got cancelled too). I saw one episode of V and it didn't appeal to me. I'm really hesitant to start watching new shows anymore, 80% of the time they get cancelled.

Thank you DarthLocke for the delicious sig!

Ian Somerhalder is my destiny!

I love you in a place where there's no space or time...
charliefan4life
Show Expert

Postby Howey on Sat May 29, 2010 1:27 pm

There's many series out there that if promised as a "limited" series of 13-21 episodes would be more successful. I wish Flashforward was one of them, as well as V.
Howey
Show Expert

Return to Flash Forward [No spoilers!]