[Supernatural] Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contest

Have fun with a selection of television and movie based forum games.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

[Supernatural] Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contest

Postby Dahne on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 am

It seems fitting that in our final round we have a tie for first between Devil's Trap and All Hell Breaks Loose - part 2. That left no votes for No Rest for the Wicked, Lucifer Rising, and Swan Song. It's been nice voting with you and sharing memories of some of our favorite episodes. I hope you enjoy season 6. Until the next hiatus! Dahne

Favorite Episode Poll Winners:
Premiere - In My Time of Dying (season 2)
Second Epi - The Kids are Alright (season 3)
Third Epi - In the Beginning (season 4)
Fourth Epi - The End (season 5)
Fifth Epi - tie Simon Said (season 2) and Monster Movie (season 4)
Sixth Epi - tie Red Sky at Morning (season 3) and Yellow Fever (season 4)
Seventh Epi - Fresh Blood (season 3)
Eighth Epi - Changing Channels (season 5)
Ninth Epi - Croatoan (season 2)
Tenth Epi - tie Heaven and Hell ( season 4) and Abandon All Hope (season 5)
Eleventh Epi - Mystery Spot (season 3)
Twelfth Epi - Jus in Bello (season 3)
13th Epi - The Song Remains the Same (season 5)
14th Epi - Born Under a Bad Sign (season 2)
15th Epi - Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (season 5)
16th Epi - On the Head of a Pin (season 4)
17th Epi - Hell House (season 1)
18th Epi - Something Wicked (season 1) and Point of No Return (season 5)
19th Epi - Provenance (season 1)
20th Epi - What is and What Should Never Be (season 2)
21st Epi - All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 1 (season 2)
Finale - Devil's Trap (season 1) and All Hell Breaks Loose - part 2 (season 2)

Final stats = season 1 - 4 wins (2 were ties) / season 2 - 7 wins (2 were ties) / season 3 - 5 wins (1 was a tie) / season 4 - 5 wins (3 were ties) / season 5 - 6 wins (2 were ties)
Last edited by Dahne on Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:04 am, edited 53 times in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contest

Postby cassopeia on Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:28 am

What a great idea! :D I think your right about season 3, follow the numbers and then compare the finale against the others. :thumbsup:

I think my clear favorite of the premiere episodes is Lazarus rising. The Pilot and In my time of Dying are great as well, Magnifcient Seven was a disappointment and Sympathy of the Devil was a bit underwhelming for me. I love Lazarus rising because it sets up season 4 perfectly, has amazing shots typical for the great Kim Manners, has just the right mix of funny and dramatic scenes and changed the dynamic between the brothers completely. And the ipod scene is comedy gold! :rofl:
cassopeia
Viewer

Postby Dreyesbo on Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:28 pm

Awesome! I can't wait to vote...I really hope "All Hell Breaks Loose" wins, though, it's my favorite episode :D
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Dahne on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:45 pm

I'm pulling all past synopsis so that people don't have to wade so far in the thread to discuss what they think. If for some reason you want the synopsis, message me and I will send it.
Last edited by Dahne on Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:11 pm

OMG this contest is gonna be so awesome!! ;)
I think I would make it this way:
1. In My Time of Dying
2. Lazarus Rising
3. a tie between the Pilot and Sympathy for the Devil
5. The Magnificent Seven

reasons:
In My Time of Dying:
- it had all three Winchesters in it (yay for papa Winchester being in one season premiere at least! ;)) - all the relations between them were exactly what defined early Supernatural - Sam arguing with John, ghost Dean yelling at John, Sam watching Dean die and trying to save him, John apologising to Dean and selling his soul to save him etc.
- there was a hunt after reaper, but it wasn't just a normal hunt, as the reaper was after Dean - also really liked the girl who played Tessa here
- Sam defending the car - partially denying Dean might actually die
- it was also I think the first time one Winchester went and gave everything for another one - and that, I think, started everything; from now on they're ready to go to hell or die to save each other
- John's mysterious whisper to Dean - they had us wonder really hard what it could've been about
- John's death
- plus, does anyone else think Dean looked incredibly hot in that hospital outfit, with the scar on his face? :P

Lazarus Rising;
- it answered our question about how the hell Dean was gonna get out of hell :P - but the answer only came at the end of the episode - the beggining was quite surprising with Dean just being out - for the first few minutes I actually thought the place he was in after getting out of the grave WAS hell, because noone was there etc. lol my own idea of hell :P
- one of the very few Sam-Dean hugs!!!
- introducing Pamela (a very cool character) and the new Ruby (not that I liked her, but the way they put her in was pretty cool)
- Castiel's big entrance - not only did we have everyone talking about him all episode through like he was something REALLY powerful, but also the way we got to know his name (burning out Pamela's eyes) and of course the moment he first appeared and the cool: "who are you?" "Castiel" "yeah, I figured that much, I mean, what are you?" "I'm an Angel of the Lord" - gets me every time ;)
and I agree this episode was a great opening for the whole season, set new questions for us (what work did the angels have for Dean? what did he really remember from hell? what was Sam doing during those months?)

Pilot:
pretty much the fact it was the first episode and introduced the whole supernatural-Winchester world to us; some great funny Sam-Dean moments (love it when Dean falls off the brigde as is like "I'm super" all covered in mud lol); I liked the idea Sam wanted to just do this one job and go back home to Jessica and his college life; Jessica's death and Sam's decision to hunt the thing that killed her; I also always liked episodes where they also had to deal with police and not only the ghost or monster they were hunting.

Sympathy for the Devil:
best things: when Dean did that blood spell to chase away the angels and was like: "I learned that from my friend Cas"; the fact Bobby got possesed, but even then managed to hurt himself instead if hurting Dean; Zachariah torturing the boys; Castiel's entrance (the dude is lucky to have great first appearances every season); Becky the fangirl (I know some people don't like the idea, but IMHO it was needed in an episode this depressing); finding out Dean was Michael's vessel

I don't really have much to say about The Magnificent Seven. It was more like a normal episode than season premiere, the only really intriguing thing was Ruby with her demon-killing knife. Still I think it's the weakest of all premieres we had.
Mia494
Viewer

Re: [Supernatural] Getting Through Hellatus - Episode Contes

Postby Iceman on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:27 pm

STAFF NOTICE!
Moved to TV/Movie Games Section
STAFF NOTICES ARE ONLY TO BE USED BY FORUM STAFF!
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby spngirl89 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:38 pm

I think I would have to rank it like this:

1. Pilot - It's the first epsiode, so it is an obvious choice.
2. Lazarus Rising - The five first minutes are awasome, and it's Castiel's first episode.
3. In My Time of Dying - Great Dean episode, and love the whisper in Dean's ear at the end and how John sacrifices himself for his son.
4. The Magninficent Seven - Just a very funny episode and the introduction of the cool version of Ruby.
5. Sypathy for the Devil - only reason it's on the bottom is that I didn't like the storyline where Sam turns evil if even for a second. It's a great episode, and i love that they stand their ground against Zach.
Dean: "It's like we got a contract on us. You think it's 'cause we're so awesome? I think it's 'cause it's we're so awesome."

Jen: Well, actually, since farmers don't keep roosters, the eggs aren't fertilized, so techically you're just eating a byproduct of the hen's menstrual cycle.
Priestly: Well, that- that's certainly appetizing, a hen-period-salad, that's lovely.
spngirl89
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Synopsis pulled to create more room. Message if you want it.
Last edited by Dahne on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Dahne, thank you so much for the synopsis!! reminded me of few things, actually ;)

like this line: "So what do you say we kill some evil sons-of-bitches and we raise a little hell." :thumbup: one of my fav Dean quotes ;)

and I cannot believe I forgot about the amulet scene in Lazarus Rising! one more reason why it's one of the best premieres!!
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Mia! Thanks for giving your reasons for why you would rank things the way you did. I really thought before I rewatched them that I would have a hard time choosing between In My Time of Dying and Lazarus Rising. Then when I rewatched sympathy for the Devil was a whole lot better than I remembered. Now it's hard to choose between all 3.

My thoughts:
Pilot - sets everything up so I'm nostalgic about it and I love that they killed off Jessica instead of using her in a future love triangle with Dean and Sam. It was also one of the more scary episodes in season1 and has the most quotable lines. But there was a lot of exposition, the lighting was so dark you could barely see the characters in a lot of it, and the brother relationship was rocky.

In My Time of Dying - I may be the only person who cheered when John died and I liked how they explained angry spirits. The emotion between the characters were well-acted. Best scene ties - Sam saving Metallicar and the Ouji board scene. Azazel and Tessa were great too. However, it did not have much action in it. Unlike you, I hated the John whisper part because it took far too long to figure out what he said. I felt like Kripke was taunting me.

The Magnificent Seven - I'm not sure how this was the premiere either. It was by far the weakest one. I liked Bobby and the scene at the end but other than that it was a monster-of-the-week story to me.

Lazarus Rising - If I vote for this episode it will be purely for Kripke. I wasn't sure how they could make Dean coming back from hell anything but cheesy and a let down. Kripke surpassed all my hopes. The scene between Bobby and Dean when he comes back was my favorite. I loved how they added humor to the drama too when Bobby threw the holy water in Dean's face. The reactions between Sam and Dean were well-acted and heartfelt and I loved both the amulet and the iPod scenes. I also loved the big reveal that Cas was an angel. It started a unique storyline that I mostly loved. However, there is not a lot of action in this episode. Plus I never liked Ruby so her reappearing disgusted me. There is a lot of exposition.

Sympathy for the Devil - This one had the right combination of emotion and action for me. Most season premieres are heavy on angst and light on action but this one wasn't. I really enjoyed Chuck in this one and usually I am not a fan. I also love that Cas came back and smoked Zach. It was the showdown I had been waiting for throughout season 4. I also liked how they set up the big theme by telling us Dean was the Michael sword. And I love, love, love Meg 2.0. Who needs Ruby when you have her. The best thing was when possessed Bobby knifed himself instead of Dean. It reminded me of the season 1 finale and showed the depth of Bobby's connection with Dean. However, it introduced Becky the most annoying character so far. She's far worse than Missouri, Jo, Ruby, and Cassie put together. Also, it set up the separation between Sam and Dean. I liked this scene but the later episodes were a little hard to take.
Last edited by Dahne on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Mia494 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:32 pm

I agree about s2 and s4 premieres having a little less action, s5 definitely wins in this area. But I just had to go for the Winchester trio together in In My Time of Dying. Plus, I had to go for dying Dean and a Dean-centric episode. Sorry, it's my Dean-deviation :P but I really think that episode had an amazing atmosphere. It was all about the family, from beginning to end.

Also agree that killing off Jessica was needed and I think killing John was an awesome idea too! you know, the thing I felt bad when it happened doesn't mean I wanted him to hang out with the boys and hunt with them the whole time. It was a great way to make this character disappear. I just love, love that he sold his soul for Dean. It was sad, but awesome, best way to get rid of him IMO. About Ruby - I kind of liked her in season 3, so when she reappeared in s4 premiere I was curious what her part in the story would be, although I really hated the actress. But I still think it was clever to make us think she was just a girl Sam spent a night with and reveal the truth later in the episode. I kind of liked that.

about s5 premiere - oh dear, I really love Chuck lol I started to love him the first episode he appeared and here he was cool again ;) didn't like Meg that much, the actress annoyed me. and about Becky - as far as I remember she was in two episodes only, so was that really that much? I get why she can be annoying and I'll never understand her saying: "you're not what I pictured" to Dean, but she never managed to make me hate her. And I actually think her and Chuck might have been a cute couple.
Mia494
Viewer

Postby Dahne on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:31 am

I tend to like Dean-centric episodes the best too, which is why this poll is so hard. I also liked how they brought Ruby in for Lazarus Rising but didn't tell us it was her until the end. That was probably my biggest surprise in Lazarus Rising with the exception of Cas of course. I just always thought Ruby was too good to be true and I couldn't for the life of me understand why either brother trusted her. Even Dean started trusting her part way through season 4 and that bugged me. BTW glad she turned out to be evil. I was glad Chuck and Becky got together because I was hoping it would keep me from ever having to see her again. Not a big meta fan.
Last edited by Dahne on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:36 am

Poll for episode two now at the top of this forum.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby spngirl89 on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Will there be more polls for favorite episodes? And which series premier won anyway?
Dean: "It's like we got a contract on us. You think it's 'cause we're so awesome? I think it's 'cause it's we're so awesome."

Jen: Well, actually, since farmers don't keep roosters, the eggs aren't fertilized, so techically you're just eating a byproduct of the hen's menstrual cycle.
Priestly: Well, that- that's certainly appetizing, a hen-period-salad, that's lovely.
spngirl89
Show Expert

Postby Dahne on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:33 am

Pulled synopsis.
Last edited by Dahne on Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dahne
Show Expert

Next

Return to TV/Movie Games