Fantastic Interview with Damon Lindelof

General discussion for 'LOST'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Fantastic Interview with Damon Lindelof

Postby ChrisP on Tue May 22, 2012 7:46 pm

http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/21/30309 ... -the-verge

Just watched this, I did understand the ending, but it certainly made me feel a whole lot better about it. If only damon could have done this two years ago :cursing:
Sawyer: You're in my light, sticks.
Shannon: Light sticks? What the hell is that suppo--
Sawyer: Light. Comma. Sticks. As in those legs of yours
ChrisP
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Fantastic Interview with Damon Lindelof

Postby Dogma9 on Wed May 23, 2012 6:13 pm

Oh lorddd :lol:

It was pretty good up untill the point the guy thought the man in black happened in the dream world :rofl: :rofl: I feel like he had decent points but get someone who understood the show :lol: Kinda felt bad for Damon there. Did people REALLY think they all died i mean whoah lol.

I think looking back on the show. It wasn't the answers that I thought season 6 was missing. I made the mistake watching the show always thinking there was "more" to certain answers. When you re-watch it, alot of stuff was addressed as far back as season 3. The interviewer mentioned his faith wavored alot throughout the years when really I loved the series for the entire run.

I loved ALOT about season 6. We did get an explanation for the numbers(Candidates) If I had to pick my largest disapointment with season 6 is was the flashside-ways that weren't in the premier, and the finale. I thought those ones were awesome. I loved the on-island season 6 stuff.

But I've always regretted that we didn't get to see more I dunno extra island stuff? I wish they had done more on island-flashbacks instead of flash-sideways. Take the oppertunity to maybe show us the egyptian life or more of Ben's life as an other or something like that. I felt like the best flash side-ways were in the premier and the finale.

I do agree with the point though that atleast you can remember how the show ended. AND it had a definitive end. Which alot of people should be greatful for. And you can tell Damon still cares alot about the show and even the fans.

You have to respect that he wouldn't do anything different.

Following the Mass Effect 3 ending scandal it's pretty terrible how fans think they have the right to choose how the creators end something. LOST went out exactly how Damon wanted it to, he stuck to his plan and the fans just have to deal with it :thumbup:
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Wed May 23, 2012 7:14 pm

Dogma9 wrote:Oh lorddd :lol:

It was pretty good up untill the point the guy thought the man in black happened in the dream world :rofl: :rofl: I feel like he had decent points but get someone who understood the show :lol: Kinda felt bad for Damon there. Did people REALLY think they all died i mean whoah lol.

I think looking back on the show. It wasn't the answers that I thought season 6 was missing. I made the mistake watching the show always thinking there was "more" to certain answers. When you re-watch it, alot of stuff was addressed as far back as season 3. The interviewer mentioned his faith wavored alot throughout the years when really I loved the series for the entire run.

I loved ALOT about season 6. We did get an explanation for the numbers(Candidates) If I had to pick my largest disapointment with season 6 is was the flashside-ways that weren't in the premier, and the finale. I thought those ones were awesome. I loved the on-island season 6 stuff.

But I've always regretted that we didn't get to see more I dunno extra island stuff? I wish they had done more on island-flashbacks instead of flash-sideways. Take the oppertunity to maybe show us the egyptian life or more of Ben's life as an other or something like that. I felt like the best flash side-ways were in the premier and the finale.

I do agree with the point though that atleast you can remember how the show ended. AND it had a definitive end. Which alot of people should be greatful for. And you can tell Damon still cares alot about the show and even the fans.

You have to respect that he wouldn't do anything different.

Following the Mass Effect 3 ending scandal it's pretty terrible how fans think they have the right to choose how the creators end something. LOST went out exactly how Damon wanted it to, he stuck to his plan and the fans just have to deal with it :thumbup:

I agree with everything you said. I would have liked more expansion on Island stuff too, but I also like the FS and what it means for the bigger picture of what Death actually is in the Lost universes by using the Island as a basis for human theology/philosophy as the Island relates to many Religious beliefs.

I don't know if you watch Fringe, Dogma, but it really is like watching LOST (minus an Island, Others, and smoke monster :P -Instead we have Observers, Mad Scientists, Criminal-Terrorists, A Wave sink device and soul magnets ) from the perspective of the DI, as the Fringe Division(s) are aware of bigger picture concepts (multiple universes) and are directly addressing the physical and psychological aspects to their world(s). So in that sense FRINGE (being aware) is a juxtaposition to Lost (being unaware) and I really feel that Lost ended very well for Lost. And I don't regret their choice of having these heroes saving the day, with out fully understanding what the Island physically was. It makes the idea of being flawed much more compelling and textured IMO.

Thanks for sharing Chris P.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Wed May 23, 2012 7:54 pm

Great interview, from Damon's side. The interviewer was horrible. Just horrible.

The people who only cared about the mysteries were bound to be disappointed. As a character man, I loved it. The symbolism and just the thought of being able to find the ones you love and forgive yourself? That's just an incredible concept to me. Loved The End. My favourite TV episode ever!

Also - what was the Mass Effect 3 ending scandal? :lol:
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby dutchie on Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 pm

I also love character development, but fake character development in a waiting room for the other side is bull in my book. And I thought the characters were put in the background most of season 6 to make place for lame explanations like "its because mother made it so". Sometimes mysteries are better left a mystery.
The first 3 seasons were gold. These are the seasons that really were character driven.
dutchie
Emmy Winner

Postby ChrisP on Wed May 23, 2012 10:28 pm

Yeah the interviewer was an idiot, but I know a lot of people that still thought that the whole thing was purgatory and no matter what explanation I gave them, they would just ignore me :lol: That interview helped me a lot with that lol
Sawyer: You're in my light, sticks.
Shannon: Light sticks? What the hell is that suppo--
Sawyer: Light. Comma. Sticks. As in those legs of yours
ChrisP
Stunt Double

Postby Dogma9 on Wed May 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Joshua wrote:Also - what was the Mass Effect 3 ending scandal? :lol:

It was actually sort of interesting. In short Mass Effect's a game series for the x-box360. That allows you to transfer your save files across games and factor in your decisions into the next installment. ME3 was to be the last game in the series and essentially large promises were made such as up to 16 different endings and decisions you made in past games largely effecting the outcome.

The final product was heavily rushed and infact only contained 3 endings all of which are pretty similar. While LOST's criticism seemed to be more focus on characters and less on methogoloy. It was the opposite for Mass Effect 3 as there was little closure for the numerious characters throughout all 3 games, and for a game that 99% of the series was grounded in sci-fi logic that made sense the ending was full of plot holes that contradicted past games information. Most people complain that although the majority of Mass Effect 3 was amazing the last 5 mins infact ruin the entire series.

I sorta suck at explaining it so heres probably the best video for going into why the ending sucks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&feature=related (Yes it's long but it sums up why people are upset) In short promises were made and broken and fans were **** that their choices didn't matter and the ending seemned to crap on the characters they had created and grew to love.

SOOO **** in fact they started a "Retake Mass Effect" Movement to demand a bettter ending. They even went as far as promising to donate money to charity. In the end Bioware(The creating company) conceeded and are planning to release a downloadable epologue to expand(but not re-create mind you) on the ending and attempt to fix the plot holes.

Honestly the ending probably isnt THAT great(playing through the game now) I feel like its not the fans choice to tell game creators to change their design. I honestly think it sets a scary president not just for games but for any kind of media including television shows like Lost. I don't think people should be able to demand writers change their ending because its their work.

So in short it's kind of a big deal :P

DarthLocke wrote:I agree with everything you said. I would have liked more expansion on Island stuff too, but I also like the FS and what it means for the bigger picture of what Death actually is in the Lost universes by using the Island as a basis for human theology/philosophy as the Island relates to many Religious beliefs.

I don't know if you watch Fringe, Dogma, but it really is like watching LOST (minus an Island, Others, and smoke monster :P -Instead we have Observers, Mad Scientists, Criminal-Terrorists, A Wave sink device and soul magnets ) from the perspective of the DI, as the Fringe Division(s) are aware of bigger picture concepts (multiple universes) and are directly addressing the physical and psychological aspects to their world(s). So in that sense FRINGE (being aware) is a juxtaposition to Lost (being unaware) and I really feel that Lost ended very well for Lost. And I don't regret their choice of having these heroes saving the day, with out fully understanding what the Island physically was. It makes the idea of being flawed much more compelling and textured IMO.

Heyyyy youuu! Long time! :thumbup: Noo I haven't watched it yet! :( But I've heard its pretty awesome.

:P to be honest I felt like we got crazy lucky with LOST. And I'd always heard Fringe was always in danger of getting canceled so I was worried about starting it only for the show to be dropped with a disappointing cliffhanger. Since that happens to alot of shows. But I've heard it's ending soon and they are aware its the last season so i'm hearing they are going to get a focused rap up kind of like LOST.(I think LOST did prove its much better to know your going into the last season and writing accordingly then getting the plug pulled all of the sudden)

So now that I know it will get a full ending I'm probably going to start getting into it soon. :thumbup: I also think the new show Revolution could be really interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI

I forsee great mythology and such with that show if it catch's on and is given time to grow so im hoping that catchs on too :thumbsup:
thanks to XTS

:haha: :thumbup: :thumbsup: :rockon: :w00t: :taz: :batman: :taz: :gunsmile: :tank: :guns: :music: :boat:
Dogma9
Emmy Nominee

Postby Joshua on Thu May 24, 2012 11:31 am

Oh I see! That sucks! A game where past decisions affect even the sequels sounds damn cool.
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DharmaLager on Thu May 24, 2012 2:02 pm

A few things (most of which have already been said):

- It's worth noting that I woke up my wife screaming at the interviewer for his statement about everyone being dead. I don't see how someone interviewing about Lost could somehow miss the fact that weren't all dead on the island - to this day, it irritates me that anyone thinks that - when it's plainly stated that everything happened on the island as we saw.

- Damon's answers were great - I know Damon didn't want to talk Lost immediately after the show ended, but I kind of wish he did after watching this because I think it would have shut up a lot of the haters.

- I also was a characters person and loved the ending of Lost. Were there filler episodes in Lost - yes. Ultimately, did most episodes drive some part of the mythology though - yes - at least in the sense that the characters were constantly challenged and that was crucial to the show - because the characters were ultimately lost (as he said, not on an island - but personally)

- In the end, was it the greatest finale in tv history, maybe not, but it's still one of my favorites (my current favorite series finale I've ever seen is actually Chuck's finale - which I thought was nearly perfect). As an X-Files fan though, I have to say, it was a lot better than their finale and X-files is still my favorite show, so it goes to show you how strongly I thought about it.

- I LOVE that he pointed out to continue the story isn't in his plans. the fact is, I liked how Lost ended. Is it nice to think about what happened with those who got off the island or seeing Walt work with Hurley and Ben? Sure it is - but I don't need to see it. As far as I'm concerned, Ben, Walt and Hurley are working to keep the island safe as we speak. That's all I need to know.
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu May 24, 2012 4:55 pm

Dogma9 wrote:
Joshua wrote:Also - what was the Mass Effect 3 ending scandal? :lol:

It was actually sort of interesting. In short Mass Effect's a game series for the x-box360. That allows you to transfer your save files across games and factor in your decisions into the next installment. ME3 was to be the last game in the series and essentially large promises were made such as up to 16 different endings and decisions you made in past games largely effecting the outcome.

The final product was heavily rushed and infact only contained 3 endings all of which are pretty similar. While LOST's criticism seemed to be more focus on characters and less on methogoloy. It was the opposite for Mass Effect 3 as there was little closure for the numerious characters throughout all 3 games, and for a game that 99% of the series was grounded in sci-fi logic that made sense the ending was full of plot holes that contradicted past games information. Most people complain that although the majority of Mass Effect 3 was amazing the last 5 mins infact ruin the entire series.

I sorta suck at explaining it so heres probably the best video for going into why the ending sucks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E&feature=related (Yes it's long but it sums up why people are upset) In short promises were made and broken and fans were **** that their choices didn't matter and the ending seemned to crap on the characters they had created and grew to love.

SOOO **** in fact they started a "Retake Mass Effect" Movement to demand a bettter ending. They even went as far as promising to donate money to charity. In the end Bioware(The creating company) conceeded and are planning to release a downloadable epologue to expand(but not re-create mind you) on the ending and attempt to fix the plot holes.

Honestly the ending probably isnt THAT great(playing through the game now) I feel like its not the fans choice to tell game creators to change their design. I honestly think it sets a scary president not just for games but for any kind of media including television shows like Lost. I don't think people should be able to demand writers change their ending because its their work.

So in short it's kind of a big deal :P

DarthLocke wrote:I agree with everything you said. I would have liked more expansion on Island stuff too, but I also like the FS and what it means for the bigger picture of what Death actually is in the Lost universes by using the Island as a basis for human theology/philosophy as the Island relates to many Religious beliefs.

Heyyyy youuu! Long time! :thumbup: Noo I haven't watched it yet! :( But I've heard its pretty awesome.

:P to be honest I felt like we got crazy lucky with LOST. And I'd always heard Fringe was always in danger of getting canceled so I was worried about starting it only for the show to be dropped with a disappointing cliffhanger. Since that happens to alot of shows. But I've heard it's ending soon and they are aware its the last season so i'm hearing they are going to get a focused rap up kind of like LOST.(I think LOST did prove its much better to know your going into the last season and writing accordingly then getting the plug pulled all of the sudden)

So now that I know it will get a full ending I'm probably going to start getting into it soon. :thumbup: I also think the new show Revolution could be really interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwfCRAtkYEI

I forsee great mythology and such with that show if it catch's on and is given time to grow so im hoping that catchs on too :thumbsup:

I know it's been too long! :P

I hope you catch Fringe sometime! At the very least I think you will love [blue] Walter(s)! And yep, count me in for Revolution too! :thumbsup: (I am show expert for the forum and am going to be doing crazy recap theory stuff for the main site O.o :lol: )

Spoilers/Spoiler Discussion: [url viewtopic.php?f=42&t=23427[/url]

See you on the other side! :D

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DharmaLager on Sat May 26, 2012 9:29 pm

PS: For all those who missed it - I'll be in Oahu again starting next week for a week or so - and am doing the Lost tour again.

If anyone wants to see photos from the Lost tour on Thursday (7 a.m. to 12 p.m. Hawaiian time), add me on twitter (@CBarrows).
DharmaLager
Show Expert

Return to Lost Discussion [No spoilers!]