[Official] Alcatraz S1 - Spoilers and Speculation

Spoiler discussion of television shows (non listed).

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [Official] Alcatraz S1 - Spoilers and Speculation

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:29 am

Last edited by DarthLocke on Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:49 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:04 pm

From the latest Issue of SFX Magazine, Jorge Garcia Gives a Little More Insight on Alcatraz:

“It’s the kind of thing where people go, ‘Alright we know this happened – Alcatraz was closed in 1963. We know everyone was taken off but they’re like why did it close?’” explains Garcia, speaking to SFX‘s Tara Bennett. “The idea was to come up with a crazy reason for why that happened and then create a show around it which is where this comes from. It’s pretty exciting to me. This is the kind of show that just the title alone will get some people interested, for sure. Everyone has heard of it and they know that really bad people were there. Bad people are intriguing!”

“It’s actually easier to say how alike [Alcatraz] is to Lost in the sense that both are about an island, they were both shrouded in mystery and there is a guy who is on this show that looks a lot like a guy that was on Lost,” laughs Garcia, when asked about how different the two shows will feel. “That’s pretty much where the similarities stop. I do know that the producers had a meeting at one point with Fox execs with their show bible, so they do know the big picture story. I have gotten used to working in the dark and I dig it. I got a little hint of something that kind of revealed more about why my character is so obsessed with the criminal element and I’m excited about that. It comes pretty early in the first season.” http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/10/10/losts-jorge-garcia-talks-alcatraz/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:55 pm

I was just doing some free thinking and could kind of see another interesting aspect that really hasn't been addressed in the promos or even people's reactions to the Pilot.

Whether mibd is right, I can not say, because I didn't see the Pilot, there were cast members playing Jack Sylvane's brother and father...

I began to think about criminology and the reasons why some criminals become criminals. In some cases I think people just get in over there heads. They do unethical things for money...to help to their family. At the same time having a family can be a double edged sword, because you could easily get blackmailed! I think if the series is centered around time travel, I could see sanarios where they reach out to their family not really realizing when they are...only to find out that their families have moved on...and despite how ever bad these criminals were, I can only imagine that these sanarios would really break a man's heart....and perhaps be perfect for whomever is causing them to time travel to what ever in "present" day?!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:54 pm

Production Delayed Due to Reshoots!
Fox’s midseason drama Alcatraz has put filming new episodes on hold to do reshoots on some of the 7 completed episodes. The series will stay in production, doing additional principal photography on previous episodes before proceeding with filming the remaining 6 episodes of the series’ 13-episode order. The J.J. Abrams-produced Alcatraz is an ambitious time-travel drama, and since the show is not on a tight delivery schedule, the producers opted to slow down and make improvements on some of the finished episodes. The reshoots are expected to last 1-2 weeks. Unlike another ambitious midseason drama, NBC’s Awake, which recently shut down production for a couple of weeks to work with scripts, Alcatraz is expected to stay in continuous production, segueing from reshoots to filming new episodes.http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/foxs-mi ... -reshoots/

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:29 pm

SFX Magizine - Elizabeth Sarnoff Interview, 'Mythology Will Come From the Characters.'
The showrunner of JJ Abrams’ new series Alcatraz (latest news: production apparently stopped for reshoots) talks about what the two shows have in common…

As a writer and executive producer on Lost for five seasons, Liz Sarnoff became adept at wrestling mythology and character storylines together into compelling hours of television.

Just before that celebrated series ended in 2010, Sarnoff was drafted by JJ Abrams to run a new show he was developing about another enigmatic island – legendary San Francisco prison Alcatraz. SFX’s Tara Bennett quizzed Sarnoff about how the two shows compare and where Alcatraz will differ.

Asked how working on different shows in the past has prepared her to run this series, Sarnoff explains, “I think you learn on any show that you do. I’ve never done a show that wasn’t an incredible learning experience for me. Even the ones I didn’t love so much are sometimes the best learning examples. It took two seasons of Lost for all of us to figure out what the show was and what the stories were. Lost was in some ways an experiment that gathered so much momentum that it was unstoppable but at the same time that doesn’t mean anyone knew what we were doing,” she laughs. “I would not have signed onto another show like that, because the idea of a ‘What’s the island?’ story every week was very challenging.”

While Alcatraz is first and foremost a procedural series about a government team reacquiring former Alcatraz inmates in present-day San Francisco, Sarnoff says a series mythology will also unfold from the characters – her preference.

“For me everything comes from character. I’ve never been on a show that wasn’t driven by character. It doesn’t hold a lot of interest for me without that, so every scene we look at when we are breaking stories we’re asking, ‘What’s the character moment in each of these scenes?’ Lost was a character show. At its heart it was about the characters and certainly that’s what this show is. Everyone has a personal investment in what is happening and the personal connections with Alcatraz. They are trying to work out their paths in some ways through this present day dilemma. That works very well for characters on the show. I want things grounded and don’t want things that don’t make sense or that we are struggling to explain.”

Sarnoff explains that the core team of Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones), Diego “Doc” Soto (Jorge Garcia) and, to a lesser degree at first, Agent Emerson Hauser (Jurassic Park’s Sam Neill) will have lives to deal with outside of their new secret mission. “[My writers and I] were just talking about that how they have a lot going on in their lives. They are very big, emotional characters to me. Rebecca, in particular, is driven by a lot of personal motivation and at the same time she has this drive to figure things out on a cop level.'

I still say if your going to have mythology at all, you can't forever stay procedural, but I do think if there was something someone might need to know from another episode, it's not hard to briefly re-explain it within the current one. FRINGE does that sometimes and I think it's smart, but I do think if she wants the story to be more compelling down the road, than it's gonna have to become more complex at some point...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:39 pm

Elizabeth Sarnoff Steps Down From "Showrunner" Position:
A big change is taking place behind the scenes at Fox's midseason drama Alcatraz.
OUR EDITOR RECOMMENDS

Comic-Con 2011: 'Alcatraz' Will 'Embrace' Its Similarity to 'Lost,' Says Executive Producer

'Alcatraz': 'Lost's' Jack Bender Joins as EP, Director
Co-creator Liz Sarnoff, who was serving as an executive producer and showrunner of the ambitious series, is stepping down from her post. Instead, Cold Case and Chase executive producer Jennifer Johnson and Miami Vice and Fracture writer Daniel Pyne have been tapped to take over day-to-day showrunning duties.
Sarnoff (Lost, Deadwood) is expected to receive the title of executive consultant on Alcatraz.
Earlier this year, Sarnoff and company made the trip to Comic-Con in San Diego to tout their new show , drawing comparisons to another serialized effort that had a similarly complex premise: Lost.
"This show has an incredibly aggressive story engine. There's going to be a bad guy to catch every week. ... We want to answer the questions. It's about combining those things and [fitting them] into one hour of television," said Sarnoff in July.

The Warner Bros. TV and Bad Robot-produced drama centers on a group of inmates imprisoned on Alcatraz island who start reappearing in modern-day San Francisco. Sarah Jones, Jorge Garcia, Parminder Nagra, Jeffrey Pierce, Robert Forster and Sam Neill co-star.

Though no official premiere date has been set for Alcatraz, the hourlong will air in the Monday at 9 p.m. time slot.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alcatraz-liz-sarnoff-exit-261990

Well...I don't know if I like this...but at least Bender is still a director.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:42 pm

I noticed we finally got to see a commercial for Alcatraz during Fringe on Friday night. It looks like it will be premiering in January so not sure which Monday night it starts on. Possibly Jan. 9th?? :unsure:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:34 pm

Another Promo: Welcome To Alcatraz!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/alcatraz-series-premiere-welcome-to.html

Jacobsmom, I am still looking for the official date. (I am going to head over to fox and see if they updated anything) --but I have read speculations of either January 9th, or the 16th.

No updates from FOX yet...

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:51 pm

"Diego's Soul Patch" - A new podcast from Jorge Garcia and his sidekick Bethany Shady!
http://diegossoulpatch.blogspot.com/

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Devil's Arcade on Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Jesus, Jorge is massive!
Devil's Arcade
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 am

Series Premiere - Extended Promo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/11/alcatraz-series-premiere-extended-promo.html

Very little new footage, but....
I'm VERY ready! :)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:53 pm

Just doing more speculating...

I noticed Santiago Cabrera's character's full name is Jimmy Dickens.
Charles Dickens' works and themes are something that were referenced frequently on LOST, such as with Desmond: Our Mutual Friend/Christmas Carol, Juliet: "Tale of Two Cities", Naomi Dorrit: "Little Dorrit", and MIB: Christmas Carol. Additionally the writers of FRINGE have also stated that Peter's experiences with the machine(s) is like
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
"A Christmas Carol", as it shows him many times" past, present, future, in order to help him make a better choice.
. In Felicity, "Great Expectations" is also referenced.

It will be interesting to see how Charles Dickens works may tie-in here, but most view Dickens as a philanthropist of social justice. Other characters, such as Edwin James, Ray Archer, and E.B. Tiller may be considered "whimsical names", something that Charles Dickens was also known for. --Edwin James may then refer to "The Mysteries of Edwin Droon", Dickens last novel, which is incomplete

From Wiki:
Though the novel is named after the character Edwin Drood, the story focuses on Drood's uncle, choirmaster John Jasper, who is in love with his pupil, Rosa Bud. Miss Bud is Drood's fiancée who has also caught the eye of the high-spirited and hot-tempered Neville Landless, who comes from Ceylon with his twin sister, Helena. Landless and Drood take an instant dislike to one another. Drood later disappears under mysterious circumstances. Dickens died before he could finish the mystery.

Note: Ceylon is now Sri Lanka (an Island under India with great stories told about it. It's the first Asain Country to have a female ruler..it's curious since we have a Brittish-Indian actress, as one of our series regulars, as Sri Lanka was under British rule for about 110 years) -Additionally a famous LOST Experience Dharma video is also known as the Sri Lanka video...

I don't know why the name "Tiller" strikes something familiar in me, but I can not think of any famous Tillers in novels, or philosophy, or otherwise? -But a Till or Tiller is like a lever that turns the rudder on a boat and controls the speed the boat can travel. We may presume then that Tiller the character is in charge of the 'flow' of the events...for now.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:31 pm

FOX Announces Mid-Season Dates!
Alcatraz, which reunites Abrams with Lost alum Jorge Garcia, will debut on Monday, Jan. 16, with a special two-hour premiere at 8 p.m. On Jan. 23, Alcatraz will move to its normal timeslot, 9 p.m.

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_ ... z1fNrFMqol

Wow we get a two hr premiere! Thank you FOX! :thumbsup:

New HQ Season 1 Promotional Pics!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-season-1-new-promotional.html

I would imagine we might start getting more spoilers and set reports soon! :)

Official Key Art:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-season-1-official-key-art.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 pm

5 Facts About "Alcatraz" From The HD Room:
The last time J.J. Abrams and Jorge Garcia worked together, a cultural phenomenon was born in the form of Lost. Now the producer and actor are reuniting on Alcatraz, a mystery-riddled new drama co-starring Sarah Jones, Parminder Nagra, Robert Forster and Sam Neill that is coming to Fox in January 2012.
Before I continue, here's a basic spoiler-free synopsis of Alcatraz: When the infamous prison shuttered its doors on March 21, 1963, it was believed that the prisoners were transferred off the island to other prisons. In reality, the two police officers that showed up to help collect the prisoners that night found Alcatraz to be deserted.

In the present day, one of the prisoners has shown up and hasn't aged a day since his disappearance. The hunt is on to not only catch him, but unravel the mystery behind the mass disappearance of prisoners and guards alike.

I finally got around to watching the Alcatraz pilot recently and plucked out some facts I thought might be useful for you all without spoiling the show. A spoiler-filled review will accompany the premiere in January and attempt to shed some light on what J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot are up to in their new small-screen endeavor.

Almost Real

Abrams love to mix action and/or Sci-fi elements into series he creates or backs. Lost and Fringe filled the Sci-fi requirement, while Alias and Undercovers the action.

Alcatraz, at least thus far, bucks that trend a little much like The Finder. There's definitely something "beyond the realm of possibility" going on in regards to the inmates and staff vanishing. So far, that's been the only hint of anything that would fall on the Sci-fi spectrum. Remove that and Alcatraz is borderline a police procedural.

Jorge Garcia = Hugo "Hurley" Reyes = Diego Soto

One of the big draws for Alcatraz is the return of fan favorite Jorge Garcia to the small screen in a recurring role. Since the Lost finale, Garcia has popped up in Fringe, How I Met Your Mother and Mr. Sunshine in small abbreviated roles. Alcatraz puts Garcia back in the limelight on a weekly basis.

Garcia's Alcatraz character, Diego Soto, is not far removed from Hurley on Lost. He writes comic books and has a knack for the most minute details. He also provides the show's only comic relief with well-timed one liners with a pinch of geek flair. An example would be Soto commenting on the idea that children lived on Alcatraz and commuted by boat is "way cooler than the bus."

Back and Forward

The history of Alcatraz, its inmates and staff is as important to the series as the present day events. The pilot starts in the past and revisits it on several occasions, mostly to add backstory to one of the inmates.

With Alcatraz's inmates proving integral to the plot, I wouldn't be surprised if every episode dipped into yesteryear to fill in the holes.

Don't Call Me Olivia

At the heart of Alcatraz is Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones), a tough detective who would rather drink in a bar than meet girlfriends for martinis. It's not by coincidence that she becomes entangled in the Alcatraz investigation. Sound familiar?

There are strong similarities between Rebecca and Olivia (Anna Torv) from Abrams' Fringe. Both women defy cutesy, are career driven, and find themselves in extraordinary positions that they were, not by choice, destined to inhabit. They also both work with a cute lab technician and a boss whose past has defined his job in the present.

Do The Twist

Here's a shocker that really isn't. Alcatraz ends with a twist. Not the kind of twist that leaves you on the edge of your seat and waiting on pins and needles for the next episode. The kind that further defines one of the character's motivations and lays the groundwork for how the series might play out.

OK, I lied. Here's a sixth fact: Lost composer Michael Giacchino composed the music for the Alcatraz pilot, but will not be adding any additional music going forward. Read a recent interview we did with Michael Giacchino where he touches upon Alcatraz.

Alcatraz premieres Monday, January 16 at 8pm EST/PST. It will run two hours, double the length of the pilot that I watched.

- Dan Bradley
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Alcatraz-Five-Facts-About-the-New-J.J.-Abrams-Fox-Series/9976

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Spoilers