[Official] Alcatraz S1 - Spoilers and Speculation

Spoiler discussion of television shows (non listed).

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: [Official] Alcatraz S1 - Spoilers and Speculation

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 pm

Speculation based on Star Trek Sequel Movie Casting Spoiler and More Speculation...

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Peter Weller has joined the cast of Bad Robot's Star Trek Movie Sequel. Some speculate he may be reprising his role as a Star Trek Enterprise character...Enterprise is one Star Trek series that I never payed much attention to, but briefly going over some of the plot details and main characters on wikipedia, I saw that the main character's name was Jonathan Archer. Obviously in previous posts I had speculated before that Robert Forester's character, Ray Archer, may relate to a light-warrior, hunter, direction/fixation, Sagittarius, but it would interesting if there would be star trek enterprise parallels too!

If anyone is fluid in 'that' series of Star Trek cannon and can think of something interesting relating to time travel, feel free to speculate away! :lol:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:10 pm

Sarnoff Explains, "How to Keep Actors in Suspense!"
Alcatraz might be the most mysterious and creepy J.J. Abrams production yet — it involves crminials from the famous island prison disappearing in the past and reappearing, without having aged at all, in the present. These time-displaced criminals wreak havoc in present-day San Francisco.

But what's Alcatraz really about, and how do you keep a premise like that going? We sat down with show creator, producer, and writer Elizabeth Sarnoff (Deadwood, Lost) a while back, to talk about Alcatraz, airing Monday nights starting January 16th.

Full size

How much have you told the cast about the overall plot of Alcatraz?

I've told them what I can. I brought all the actors into the writer's room so they could sit with us and talk about the characters. There was a big separation on Lost between the actors and the writers, and I want us to work more like a team for the show. I tell them what I can, what I think they need. Some things that I'm not sure of (plot wise) I just hold back, because you don't want to send the actor down the wrong road.

Was the location of Alcatraz always in place or did that come later?

The idea of the prisoners coming back and Alcatraz was always integral to the show. I just said "I would do this, that, and the other thing" to mess it up.

Does the first season have an arc that delves into the time travel aspects or will it be more of a "criminal of the week" based show?

There is definitely the "criminal of the week" aspect of the show. The strong has a very strong story engine, which is these guys are coming back, and they are bad, and we have to get them. But, at the same time, for it to be fun, we want to find out why they are here? Why haven't they aged? Who sent them to the present? Also, the characters are really important to me. Each of the characters have a very personal reason for doing what they are doing in the series. I want to see them achieve their goals or not. I want to get to know them better. This is very much a character show for me.

Full size
Do you have a set plan, like a five year plan? Do you have an exit strategy?

What is that quote? "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans." All we can do is come out with the best, most compelling thirteen episodes we can, and we'll take it from there. You never know what is going to happen with a television show, you just do the best job you can and hope for the best. For me, I'd love to be writing the show for a while. I find the subject matter fascinating and I love the cast and working with Jack Bender. I feel very lucky to be in this creative pod right now and I hope we get to keep going.

What was the casting process like?

Casting is always a crazy jumble of things. The first question I was asked was, "Jorge (Garcia) is looking to do another show. Would you like him?" I said, "I would kill to have Jorge." We had this role, and it was sort of a different role, and I said, "Let me re-write it for him." I re-wrote it from him, and that was the first thing that came along. Then they said, "Sam Neill is in town, and he would like to meet." I was thought they were kidding me. (The casting of) Rebecca (Madsen) was in some ways the hardest and took the longest, and then Sarah (Jones) came in one day and read and I'd seen her on Sons of Anarchy, and I just said, "that's her."

Alcatraz airs Monday nights at 9 pm ET on Fox.
http://io9.com/5824194/alcatraz-creator ... n-suspense

Well this interview pleases me!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:47 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby JacobsMom on Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:35 pm

This is another new show that I'm very excited about. I am so happy that Person Of Interest turned out well and I'm hoping Alcatraz will be just as awesome! With Sarnoff and Bender working together, I can't see how it can go wrong. :D I'm anxious to see Jorge in this new role and Sam Neill has always been a favorite actor of mine. :thumbsup:
JacobsMom
Emmy Nominee

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:52 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:39 pm

New Season 1 Promo!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-season-1-new-jan-2012-promo.html

No new footage, but I am still excited!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:55 pm

New January Promo:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-season-1-new-jan-2012-promo.html

Upcoming Episode Titles and Dates!
ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.01 Titled: "Pilot" Airdate: Monday January 16, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.02 Titled: "Ernest Cobb" Airdate: Monday January 16, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.03 Titled: "Unknown" Airdate: Monday January 23, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.04 Titled: "Johnny McKee" Airdate: Monday January 30, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.05 Titled: "Cal Sweeney" Airdate: Monday February 6, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.06 Titled: "Guy Hastings" Airdate: Monday February 13, 2012, 9PM~
~ALCATRAZ EPISODE 1.07 Titled: "Clarence Montgomery" Airdate: Monday February 20, 2012, 9PM
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-season-1-upcoming-episode.html

So each episode title is named after the Inmates?!

All though this seems rather procedural, I also see it another way...
The non spoiler-reading folk won't know at all what's coming with these titles.

1x02 "Ernest Cobb" Promotional Pics!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/12/alcatraz-episode-102-ernest-cobb.html

It looks like Sylvane makes it for both episodes!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:10 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:47 pm

Jorge Garcia and Sarah Jones Talk From the Set!

Alcatraz is a term deeply ingrained in our cultural consciousness as a source of mystery and curiosity, so it seems fitting that J.J. Abrams and Elizabeth Sarnoff, two of the genius minds behind the equally enigmatic "Lost," would choose to tackle the iconic island for another high-concept TV series. "Alcatraz" (premiering Mon., Jan. 16, 8 p.m. EST on Fox) might be lacking smoke monsters and polar bears, but there are still plenty of questions to be answered, as HuffPost TV discovered when we visited the Vancouver-based set in October.

The show's story begins in March 1963, when history tells us the prison was closed due to unmanageable operating costs and the erosion of buildings from years of salt water exposure. But in the world of "Alcatraz," the true reason for the closure is far more compelling: 302 prisoners and guards mysteriously vanish without a trace, only to reappear in our time without having aged. An unlikely team -- Alcatraz historian and comic book writer Doctor Diego Soto (Jorge Garcia), police detective Rebecca Madsen (Sarah Jones) and government agent Emerson Hauser (Sam Neill) -- must work together to capture the returned inmates and discover the truth behind their disappearance.

The series was conceived by Steven Lilien and Bryan Wynbrandt, former "Kyle XY" writers, who sold the concept to Abrams' Bad Robot production company. But Sarnoff, who has now stepped down as showrunner, took another stab at the story before shopping around to the networks.

Another "Lost" alum, Jack Bender, serves as executive producer, and he was on hand to answer reporters' questions during the group set visit. On the surface, the two island-based shows share similar DNA -- and not just because of Abrams and Garcia. But Bender insisted that "Alcatraz" is designed to be more accessible than its predecessor.

"I think the networks are certainly afraid of the mythology of the show overpowering an audience's potential to come aboard the train if they've missed a few [episodes]," he said. "I think that our show is going to walk that fine line, hopefully, because each week there is going to be a story unfolding that begins and ends. And there's still this overreaching, 'What happened? How the hell did this happen? What's going on?' vibe to the show that will be, season by season, revealed in a slow fashion so that the mystery stays alive and well."

Mystery series are somewhat dependent on the cast and crew's ability to keep a secret, and Abrams has arguably created a whole sub-genre of television show that's designed to keep the audience guessing, from "Alias" and "Lost" to "Fringe" and "Person of Interest." "Alcatraz" will be no exception.

Garcia, who shot to fame as the lovable Hurley on "Lost," told The Huffington Post that he's become accustomed to not knowing anything about his character's backstory -- and that he knows better than to ask. "I've gotten used to working this way from having done a show with these people before," he said. "I enjoy having to fill in my own blanks at the beginning. If stuff gets revealed later, even if it seems contradictory, I always feel that contradiction is what makes us people. So when you behave in a way that's not how people would have expected, it's a very human way to behave. So I've always enjoyed those moments myself as an actor."

While Garcia admitted that his new character on "Alcatraz" has his humorous moments, fans shouldn't expect Hurley 2.0 from Doc Soto. "It's fun finding a new guy. I'm digging what they've been writing for me," he said. "I wear a lot more clothes than on 'Lost' -- I've been doing that and I did that for six years; now let's explore somebody new and go see where I would go with it a different way."

Though Garcia and Neill's characters are integral parts of the story, Detective Rebecca Madsen is our true entry point to the mystery. She's a Scully-esque skeptic whose family history is inexorably linked to the prison. Sarah Jones has appeared in numerous guest spots and recurring roles (most notably in "Big Love" and "Sons of Anarchy"), but "Alcatraz" marks her first experience as the lead.

Jones described the show as a "procedural hybrid" that balances the weekly mysteries with added character development and ongoing mythology. In terms of her character, Jones said: "It's about her journey into a very new phase, a new chapter in her life that connects her to her past that she didn't know about before. Her world is basically turned upside down in the pilot and [the show] follows her through trying to put the pieces together, while she's catching the worst of the worst coming back and wreaking havoc on the good people of America."

Though Sam Neill wasn't on set during The Huffington Post's visit, his co-star helped shed a little light on Neill's cryptic Emerson Hauser, a member of a shadowy government agency who seems to know far more about the secrets of Alcatraz than he's letting on.

"There's definitely secrets he's keeping from them," Garcia admitted. "He lets stuff out, but really lets it out in a very thin trickle. It's not like a big idea of you become president and then go, 'All right, let me show you what's in the secret closet where the aliens are.' It becomes very need-to-know with him, because he's old-school G-man."

Luckily Rebecca and Doc have each other when Hauser's being guarded. "It's us against Hauser sometimes, very much," Garcia said. "I think we have this kind of relationship where we look out for each other. She does the ass kicking stuff; I do the vagrant. But we also try to watch each other's back. We know that we have to deal with Hauser -- and Hauser's not going to always give us a lot of information, so there are sometimes moments where we just find ourselves having to be in cahoots with each other, I think."

Jones agreed, adding: "I really like what the writers have done with their relationship. ... I like that Rebecca is not quick to trust people. There's very few people in her life that she allows herself to get close to and trust and I like that the writers aren't so quick to make Rebecca and Doc best friends. There's a relationship that's built and sometimes they have a moment together and sometimes she pushes him away; but that's something I'm really grateful to the writers for, because it allows Doc and Rebecca to actually get to know each other and learn how to trust each other."

Unlike Garcia, Jones is new to working with Abrams' closely-guarded plot turns, so she's still trying to figure out the show's central mystery: Where did the inmates disappear to?

"A part of each episode is that you get a little bit closer to finding out why these guys are here: Where did they come from, who's running it, you know?" she said. "I don't even know yet -- I'm trying to figure it out. I've got my own theories about it with a bit of the clues that we get every episode, but I'm sure they're not right. I'm sure I'll be way off and have no idea what I was talking about!"

You can attempt to solve the mystery yourself when "Alcatraz" premieres with a two-hour episode on Mon., Jan. 16 at 8 p.m. EST on Fox.http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/02/alcatraz-jj-abrams-show-premieres-jorge-garcia-talks_n_1179211.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:32 pm

Alcatraz "Official Press Release"
HE INFAMOUS PRISON COMES TO LIFE ON THE TWO-HOUR SERIES PREMIERE OF "ALCATRAZ" MONDAY, JANUARY 16, ON FOX

"Detective Rebecca Madsen" (Sarah Jones) and Alcatraz historian "Doctor Diego Soto" (Jorge Garcia) team up with a secret agency that is dedicated to finding and catching inmates from the infamous prison who went missing 50 years ago and are reappearing today. The special task force includes Sam Neill as "Emerson Hauser" and Parminder Nagra as "Doctor Lucy Banerjee." Then, when a sniper begins targeting young victims, the team is forced to retrace the steps of the past in order to solve this modern day mystery on the special two-hour series premiere "Pilot/Ernest Cobb" episode of ALCATRAZ airing Monday, Jan. 16 (8:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ALC-101/102) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Sarah Jones as Detective Rebecca Madsen; Jorge Garcia as Dr. Diego Soto; Sam Neill as Emerson Hauser; Parminder Nagra as Lucy Banerjee; Robert Forster as Ray Archer; Jonny Coyne as Warden Edwin James; Jason Butler Harner as Associate Warden ED Tiller.

Guest Cast: Jeffrey Pierce as Jack Sylvane.
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-series-premiere-press-release.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:16 pm

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Season Premiere - NEW Promotional photos!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-series-premiere-new.html

"Man Hunt" Promo!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-new-promo-manhunt.html

How many promos are we going to have!?!

Casting News:

Fringe's Michael Eklund and Smallville's Eric Johnson have been tapped to portray escaped prisoners on Fox's new drama Alcatraz, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively.

J.J. Abrams' new sci-fi series centers on a cop (Sarah Jones) and a team of FBI agents who track down a group of missing Alcatraz prisoners and guards who have reappeared in the present day after disappearing 30 years earlier.

Eklund, whose credits also include Flashpoint and Caprica, will play Kit Nelson, a terrifying kidnapper who always returns his victims to their homes... after he's killed them. He'll appear in Episode 103, airing Monday, Jan. 23.

Johnson, who currently stars on Rookie Blue, will portray Cal Sweeney, a smooth talking bank robber whose interests lie in safety deposit boxes and the secrets they contain. He'll appear in Episode 104, slated to air Monday, Jan. 30.

Source: TV Guidehttp://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/a ... hnson.html

Looking forward to both.

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:20 pm

FOX Gives NEW Site - With Some Cool Wallpapers!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-new-fox-website-and-wallpapers.html

Sit Down with J.J. Abrams!
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-sit-down-with-jj-abrams.html

This makes me feel good about the mythology aspect. :)

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

Sit Down with J.J. Abrams Pt. 2:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-sitdown-with-jj-abrams-part-2.html

1x03 "Kit Nelson" Press Release:
A TERRIFYING PRISONER COMES BACK TO KILL

ON AN ALL-NEW “ALCATRAZ”

MONDAY, JANUARY 23, ON FOX

When child killer Kit Nelson, a terrifying kidnapper who always returns his victims home – after he’s killed them – reappears from the past, the team is in a race against time to catch the man before he kills again in the all-new “Kit Nelson” episode of ALCATRAZ airing Monday, Jan. 23 (9:00-10:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (ALC-103) (TV-14 L, V)

Cast: Sarah Jones as Detective Rebecca Madsen; Jorge Garcia as Dr. Diego Soto; Sam Neill as Emerson Hauser; Parminder Nagra as Lucy Banerjee; Robert Forster as Ray Archer; Jonny Coyne as Warden Edwin James; Jason Butler Harner as Associate Warden ED Tiller.

Guest Cast: Michael Ecklund as Kit Nelson.

Source: Fox

Season 1 - Set Video January, 9th 2012:
http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/alcatraz-season-1-short-set-video-9th.html

Adams TV Teasers:
Alcatraz
Episode 1.09

Pinky: Added to the episode, Pinky is huge and terrifying, a man who moves with a sense of quiet, impending purpose and is much smarter than he looks. He also believes in Karma, has an unstoppable tendency toward violence and a reputation of brute strength. Badass is the quicker way to put it!
Officer Donovan: Donovan is an Alcatraz guard who has arrived on the island with a hidden purpose. Sounds crucial to the shows mythology to me!http://www.spoilertv.com/2012/01/adams-tv-teasers-9th-jan-part-one.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Other Shows Spoilers