Why Do You Love BSG?

General discussion for 'Battlestar Galactica'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Why Do You Love BSG?

Postby Dezdmona on Wed May 14, 2008 3:10 pm

I've thought a bit more about this question, and I just like shows that challenge me to think.
I don't like mindless entertainment, and BSG & LOST are my two favorite TV shows.
I love dramatic mythology based sci-fi and BSG has all that. There's more than meets the eye with this show.

However, It would totally fail on network TV, the suits wouldn't support it. Anything with marginal numbers, even if it has a steady & loyal following and great critical reviews gets axed in favor of higher profit reality programming. Seems too many people don't want to be challenged to think anymore. (Rant over)
Dezdmona
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby caprica on Wed May 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Why Do I Love BSG?

Because:
It's one of the TV's best dramas. After Lost, it's my second favorite show.
The storyline is amazing.
Characters are really strong, in some ways you love cylon ones.
And Lee Adama & Starbuck, they're great.
caprica
Viewer

Postby Darth_Arcturus on Fri May 16, 2008 5:01 am

BSG has some of the best production and writing in TV. It contains many themes, motifs, and allegories with the real world. In addition to all that it has some great sci fi elements with some amazing action sequences :) Highly recommended for anyone who likes lost.
Darth_Arcturus
Viewer

Postby gaiba on Tue May 20, 2008 8:59 pm

I really love the different "levels" on which the show works. If you want science fiction, spaceships, other worlds, special effects and a strange alien culture, it's there. If you want a drama about military and ordinary people having to face an ongoing crisis, it's there. If you want strong, emotional character relationships, it's there. I also love the religuous or spiritual motives of the show, creation of life, evolution, genocide, a promise of salvation.

The thing I personally probably like the most is Bear McCrearys scoring work on the show. The intricate way the music works on the show, with themes for the characters (and even special aspects of the characters), modulated and varying from one episode or scene to another is just fantastic, especially compared to other shows that barely have the occasional "drama music", or alternate between jumpy rock music to bridge between scenes and the occasional acoustic guitar bittersweet love song to end an episode...
gaiba
Viewer

Postby Monty on Sat May 24, 2008 4:44 pm

The deeper and more complex the mythology in a show generally the more i am gonna like it personally. And cus there are elements of different divinities it makes it all the more interesting. Add the fact that there is the mystery of who the cylons are, its awesome. I'm not a fan of weekly stand alone episodes, gotta move the story along and be inclusive of all plots n characters which bsg is pretty good at.
___-~MONTY~-___
Monty
Viewer

Postby Ansolo on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:52 pm

Probably the same reason I love Star Wars, Babylon 5, Firefly, X Files and so on. Because you can't beat good sci fi that not only makes you think, but also grabs your imagination and takes you somewhere emotionally. Makes you laugh, or get choked up, or whoop out loud or just sit on the edge of your seat. BSG hits me hard in the solar plexus sometimes, and I admire the creators of the show for doing that to me. Oh, and Eight and Six are dayum hot. ;)
Ansolo
Viewer

Postby Asmodean on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:09 pm

So say we all!
Asmodean
Viewer

Postby OldDarth on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:37 pm

BSG succeeds because it never takes the cheap way out. It gives the characters tough choices and the solutions they arrive at have a price to be paid.
OldDarth
Viewer

Postby schizochick on Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:16 am

I think the story is fantastic...it's the kind of show kept making me ask myself "what would I do?" or "who would I trust?". I also think they have done some wonderful things with character development.
schizochick
Viewer

Postby Tabby on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:47 am

I love it because the characters are many layered and well written, and the story is not some corny space saga. :D Also the writing of female characters is one of the best comparing to the shows out there.
Tabby
Viewer

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:15 pm

Battlestar and LOST actually mirror eachother all the time! things from episode titles and the eye of jupiter looks simular to oceanic's symbol, same biblical referances, and philosophy points, like 'othering' and 'imprinting' and 'higher beings', character dynamic is focus for both, both are about surviving.

The differance is that BSG is more up-front 'in your face' political. It makes you question HOW government should be run and debates the fact that it can never be easy, becuase we are a socological species, especially when there are only SO many humans left.

BSG takes a real close look into relationships in way that is more disturbing than Lost. The character dynamics are realisiticly hard and dark at times.

It points out questions of racism, what we do in the name of our beliefs, terrorism, military vs gov, duty vs friendship/family, the fear of the unkown, the breakdown of the human condition, ect.

I love BSG just as much as LOST...it's nice to know that there are more of us that like both, than I had thought :D

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Previous

Return to Battlestar Galactica Discussion [No spoilers!]