Official Episode 13: "Sometimes A Great Notion" Discussion!

General discussion for 'Battlestar Galactica'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Official Episode 13: "Sometimes A Great Notion" Discussion!

Postby The Strog on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:27 am

It's back!

I'll be unlocking this at 10pm EST sharp.

Be here or be late.
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Official Episode 13: "Sometimes A Great Notion" Discussion!

Postby The Strog on Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:04 am

Did I say 10? I meant 11! ;)

Discuss!
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby Freek on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:06 pm

OMG

I predicted Ellen was a Cylon back in Season 1 (or was it 2?) when Baltar took her test and the results were inconclusive.

So much stuff in this episode, I can't wait to find out what the hell happened to the Final 5 that wiped their memories and sent them back to the Colonies. I think there's some time travel involved since Kara's viper had been down there for a while. Maybe she crashed there 2000 years in the past and caused the conflict. When the Final 5 somehow travelled from Earth they travelled 2000 years into the future?
Freek
Supporting Actor

Postby cheggie on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:08 pm

I like it. A lot.

*Ok, first of all. What the hell was the Dee issue??? I was liking her today making Lee feel confident. Till the kissing moment. That was just frustrating because she knew what was going to do next. She shot herself!!! Oh boy, we didn't need that!!!

*A drunken Adama is really scary. But the Adama-Tigh scene was absolutely great.

*I like Tyrol, Anders and Troy remembering their live in Earth. I've liked the defeated D'Anna and the scared Leoben.

*No surprises about Kara. We knew she was indeed dead. The question is: What the hell is she? I like that she was willing to tell Lee the truth. I hope she will tell him eventually, when he is a little less EMO about Dee.

*I like Roslin not being able to face the whole situation. And burning the Pithya prophecy.

*About the Fifth: I'm still laughing. I remember, years ago, a post in my LJ about TV shows Character I couldn't stand. Ellen was one of them. And I remember that in that same post, I called her cylon. I'm like a mentalist now xPPPP. But the point is that she and Saul has been together in others reincarnation, and it seems she knew what she was.

*Oh yes: THE THIRTEENTH TRIBE WAS A CYLON ONE!!!

I'm looking forward next episode
cheggie
Stunt Double

Postby Freek on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:05 pm

*Ok, first of all. What the hell was the Dee issue??? I was liking her today making Lee feel confident. Till the kissing moment. That was just frustrating because she knew what was going to do next. She shot herself!!! Oh boy, we didn't need that!!!
I read an interview regarding the episode with RDM, he basically said that Dee wanted a happy moment to be the last moment of her life. After losing BIlly and Lee and then see her only hope (earth) smashed into the ground...

*A drunken Adama is really scary. But the Adama-Tigh scene was absolutely great.
I agree, its almost like the two have switched roles!

*I like Tyrol, Anders and Troy remembering their live in Earth. I've liked the defeated D'Anna and the scared Leoben.
The Leoben moment seems kind've strange. Why would he be afraid of her? Just because he's been wrong?

*No surprises about Kara. We knew she was indeed dead. The question is: What the hell is she? I like that she was willing to tell Lee the truth. I hope she will tell him eventually, when he is a little less EMO about Dee.
I dunno, what could she tell him? She could be a 13th Cylon or something, having been revived as a Cylon by the 13th tribe when she crashed there. The final 5 survived the holocaust and escaped, but we were shown that there were tons and tons of Cylons and they weren't all the same model
*I like Roslin not being able to face the whole situation. And burning the Pithya prophecy.
I wonder if she's ever gonna be able to get back unto her feet. Even Adama was struggling.

BSG is becoming a bit like LOST with all these questions hanging in the air. And I bet there's time travel involved since the timelines don't add up!
Freek
Supporting Actor

Postby kristy815 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Wow!

So, What is Kara if Ellen is the final cylon. . .oh wait, somebody already said that.

So is the implication that the human race as we know it are cylon? And that 12 people were chosen to be downloaded into new bodies?

I definitely got a time travel feel from the whole thing with Kara. Is the implication that she went to Earth and brought about the destruction of the human race. . .

I repeat. Wow!
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Freek on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:40 pm

There's no way a body decays like that in the time between she supposedly died and the fleet arrived.
Freek
Supporting Actor

Postby kristy815 on Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:57 pm

I didn't have the nerve to look, but I assumed if it was enough to make Kara nauseous, it must have been bad.

What is she? Is she supposed to be like those people from the ship of lights on the original? Or are we discovering that there were more than 12 cylon models. . .it's just that only 12 models went off into the final frontier. . .
So, who is this Mr. Bench anyway?
kristy815
Star Billing

Postby Nick on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:33 am

Wow. Great episode.

Dualla shooting herself. Oh my God. That came out of nowhere. I knew she was acting strangely happy but one second she kisses Lee and then she goes and shoots herself. I was not really prepared for that and it was hard to watch.

Ellen is the final cylon. I don't know...it felt kind of anticlimactic. All the buildup to who the final cylon is and its...Ellen. I was expecting someone who would really make an impact in the fleet. Maybe even Roslin. Or Starbuck.

Starbuck found her own body. That was a bit disturbing, but the big mystery here is what the hell is she? Why is she alive and what happened to her? I'm beginning to ponder the idea of more than 12 Cylons.

The Final FIve remember Earth. I'd like to see more little flashbacks like that. The final one where Ellen is revealed to be a Cylon for TIgh really sparked my curiosity. What was going on? How did they get wiped out? Where is Ellen?

So many questions.
Nick
Emmy Winner

Postby frekkells on Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:39 am

This is such a great show. I came to the party late and now I feel cheated that there are only 9 more new episodes.

Kara finding herself was great. Leoben's reaction was even greater. I'm with kristy815 and think there is time travel in this story. My husband is convinced she is a cylon, so maybe there are more cylons than we've been lead to believe.

I was happy they revealed Ellen is the final cylon in this episode. I ask what Nick asked, where has she been? Was the resurrection ship nearby when Saul poisioned her on New Caprica?

Dee shooting herself, :( , it surprised me, totally.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby leoff on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:48 pm

Wow, finally I can say I loved a BSG episode this season.

I don't buy the time travel theory, RDM wants to keep the show as real as possible. Kara's body didn't decay because was there for ages. The body was incinerated to the bones by the explosion of the viper. The distress call was fading away because the viper crashed over 6 months ago, when Kara disappeared.
leoff
Extra

Postby bloo98 on Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:28 pm

I did caught bits and pieces of this episode Friday...

Ellen as the final Cylon... didn't shock me... In fact, maybe it was because I have been away from BSG for so long that the revelation fell flat to me... Oh well... :unsure:
bloo98
Extra

Postby Freek on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:12 pm

leoff wrote:Wow, finally I can say I loved a BSG episode this season.

I don't buy the time travel theory, RDM wants to keep the show as real as possible. Kara's body didn't decay because was there for ages. The body was incinerated to the bones by the explosion of the viper. The distress call was fading away because the viper crashed over 6 months ago, when Kara disappeared.

He body incinerated but somehow her hair survived, still white?
Freek
Supporting Actor

Postby frekkells on Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:38 pm

Freek wrote:He body incinerated but somehow her hair survived, still white?

Good point.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby OneOfUs on Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:58 pm

Loved the episode. Although not as good as Revelations - then again which one is - I think it was one of my favorite episodes, certainly from the last two seasons. The sober depression of it all combined with this claustrophobic lack of hope sure did it for me. And I didn't see Dualla killing herself at all... I was even thinking she might have been the final Cylon. It was a beautiful plotline and every poignant.

But then... the big revelation. Ellen being the final Cylon. I'm sorry but that is utter crap and I couldn't be more disappointed by this. Her character is and always been totally null and Tigh is for me the worst in the whole ensemble. And then I read this:

When did you make that selection?

It was somewhere in the course of the third season [that the possibility was first raised.] We killed Ellen early that season and we didn’t have an inkling of that at that point. But at the point that we killed Ellen, around the same time frame, I was starting to come up with the idea that there were five Cylons that had yet to be revealed.

(...)

Over the course of the third season, Ellen came and went in my thinking in terms of who the final five were. It probably wasn’t until we settled on the final four that I knew it was Ellen. When we got to the final four -- Tigh, Anders, Tory and Tyrol -- then it felt like, “and Ellen has to be the fifth.” Because Tigh being revealed as a Cylon was such a profound shift in that character, such a big leap for the show, that it felt really natural that she was also a Cylon.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/01/final-fifth-cylon-ellen-tigh-battlestar-galactica-dualla-dee-.html

It kinda bugs me that they're making this up as they go along. It was always advertised as a big sell - who the cylons were and then the final ones etc - and then I find out it was kind of randomly selected. I get the feeling they chose Ellen because it fit and not because it was meant to be that way. I sure hope this isn't a prelude to a dissatisfying series finale. Because I really loved the rest of the episode and this left a really bitter taste :shrug:
OneOfUs
Extra

Next

Return to Battlestar Galactica Discussion [No spoilers!]