Can someone please help?

General discussion for 'Battlestar Galactica'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Can someone please help?

Postby captain jack sparrow on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:40 pm

Hello all!!

I have never watched BSG....yet I keep hearing how it is the best show on television....can someone please roughly explain what type of a show is it?.....is it like a CSI and or Star Trek storyline?where everything gets wrapped up by the end of an episode?....or does it have like a huge arc every season?...sort of like LOST....I'd appreciate if someone could help me out....thanx! :)
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Can someone please help?

Postby The Strog on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 pm

or does it have like a huge arc every season?...sort of like LOST

Sort of like LOST. It's got a series long arc. Definitely not a one off type show like CSI. (Thank heavens...)

BSG is a very, very smart show. In terms of tv shows set in space, it is as realistic as space could ever be I suppose. It's very thematic like LOST as well, raising some interesting questions about religion and what it means to be human.

It's very much a DVD show like LOST too...once you put one episode in you can't stop.

I'm getting caught up as we speak. Just watched Exodus Part 2 last night and loved it!

Trying to finish up before the big finale in a few weeks!

jack, do you know the overall premise of the show? Or had you just heard it was a good show?
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby Nicole on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:18 pm

I just started watching it a few episodes ago. I wouldn't really think its anything like Lost. Very sci-fi, entertaining though. I was mainly hanging in to find out who the last cylon was... but now there's one more so I'm hanging on for another while. ;)
"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that... is just progress."

Nicole
Emmy Winner

Postby Rosalind on Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:43 pm

I've been fortunate enough to have caught it from the start. It's epic really. There are both short, middling and long (very long) story arcs-some of the ones at the beginning in the mini-series are only just being answered now for example.
Space is quiet, with the exception of the noise of cylon ships\ nukes (I think) and its very dark, both in literally and figuratively, since much of the time is spent in space, both running scared and fighting- and the colours frequently appear washed out, or very dark, which emphasises this tone.

As The Strog says, they focus on religion for a a season or two- which is stark in contrast to the high-tech backdrop of space, but I wasn't too keen on that aspect of the series to be honest.
The premise and setting (basically the US marines in space :O ) is a really large crucible for characters and plots. From the start the program is about clashes -including clashes of technology, old versus new, faith vs science, power struggles, it's also includes issues of identity and exclusion too.

It's worth investing your time in- if nothing else to see just how snivelling and low Gaius Balthar can get lol :D
Thanks to Spaceman for the sig
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby captain jack sparrow on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:27 am

The Strog wrote:

jack, do you know the overall premise of the show? Or had you just heard it was a good show?

Don't really know what the show is about....I was hoping someone could lay it out for me....not all the important details but just a premise of what the show is about....Like i said i have read over and over that it is the best show on tv.....and i'm a huge scifi fan :)
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Postby The Strog on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:59 am

captain jack sparrow wrote:Don't really know what the show is about....I was hoping someone could lay it out for me....not all the important details but just a premise of what the show is about....Like i said i have read over and over that it is the best show on tv.....and i'm a huge scifi fan :)

BSG started with a minseries. So, if you don't want to be spoiled for the miniseries, then watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLaTmro5MfE&fmt=18

It is the very first scene of the miniseries, and does a very good job of setting the show up. If you want more details about what goes on in JUST the miniseries, then read below:

Okay...in a nutshell:

There are humans that exist elsewhere in space, in another galaxy. There are 12 planets full of them. (called the 12 colonies)

A while back, humans built robots to make life easier. They called them the Cylons. Eventually, the Cylons got tired of humans and rose up against them. They had a war. The Cylons won. Humans let the Cylons go out into space to establish their own planet.

When the miniseries begins, it picks up when the Cylons return back to the colonies to destroy the humans. They are able to infilitrate human society because during the time they've been away, they've evolved. And now they look like humans.

They blow all 12 colonies up and destroy every Battlestar (basically their society's aircraft carrier)

However, there is 1 battlestar that is being decommissioned on the day the attack happens. It's being taken out of service because it is too outdated. No "new" technology. That ship is the Battlestar Galactica. And they manage to escape.

The series picks up as they search for the rumored 13th colony: a place called Earth.
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby captain jack sparrow on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:19 pm

Whao the clip seems pretty cool.....i didnt really get who the lady was or anything,i assume she is a cylon,and that the war on humanity has begun....effects seem pretty cool too.....the story line seems interesting.....just a couple more questions....Should I watch the miniseries before I buy the DVD's for season 1?...I mean will it make a difference or no?....I'm gonna go ahead and purchase season 1 watch it and see how it is,and i guess i'll just take it from there....if you could think of any other things that might be important to tell me i'd appreciate it....Thanx man u ROCK!!!! :D
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Postby Rosalind on Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:37 pm

Buy and watch the mini series first, definitely! :D
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby captain jack sparrow on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:01 pm

Rosalind wrote:Buy and watch the mini series first, definitely! :D

Thanx Rosalind....appreciate your help....I'm gonna have to buy the miniseries and the 1st season....I'll start watchin and if i like it i'll buy the rest of the dvd's.....just one more question,is this a show with any like....ummmm......shocking twists?....you know where your jaw drops,and you are like : WHOA!I CAN"T BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED!
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Postby Rosalind on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:40 pm

hmmm :hmm:

:nod: yes...I was 'WTF' ? :w00t: :scared: from the start....I could not stop watching the mini series :thumbsup:
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby captain jack sparrow on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Rosalind wrote:hmmm :hmm:

:nod: yes...I was 'WTF' ? :w00t: :scared: from the start....I could not stop watching the mini series :thumbsup:

Awesome!!!I can't wait...I just made a call to a store near my house....they have the miniseries and 1st season.....I'm gonna go for nice walk down there and buy them,and walk back home,and hopefully I'll be glued to the tv for 2nite....thanx a lot I really appreciate everything....I'm lookin forward to talkin to y'all as soon as I watch the miniseries :)

Talk to you soon ;)
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Postby The Strog on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:58 pm

Don't know if you'll read this before you go, but...

The Season 1 DVD set that I own has the minseries included with it. You made it sound as if you are going to buy it seperate.

Just thought I might save you a few bucks...

Oh! and be sure to let us know how you are progressing through the series. :thumbup:

Tune in for PSYCH
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby Rosalind on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:59 pm

The Strog wrote:Don't know if you'll read this before you go, but...

My Season 1 DVD set has the minseries included with it. You made it sound like you are going to but it seperate...

Ooh, mine didn't- good thing you said! :)
Rosalind
Forum Moderator

Postby The Strog on Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 pm

Rosalind wrote:

My Season 1 DVD set has the minseries included with it. You made it sound like you are going to but it seperate...

Ooh, mine didn't- good thing you said! :)

Yeah. They originally released it seperately then just combined them together at some point.

I'm pretty sure every store has the new set --with the miniseries and S1 combined-- but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't mind seeing someone buy both in order to make a few extra bucks.

This problem, combined with the Season 2.0 and Season 2.5 DVD sets make the BSG DVD releases quite confusing, really.

Tune in for PSYCH
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby captain jack sparrow on Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:00 pm

The Season 1 DVD set that I own has the minseries included with it. You made it sound as if you are going to buy it seperate.

Oh! and be sure to let us know how you are progressing through the series. :thumbup:

Thanx,got to your post in time,appreciate it a lot!

The nice lady at the store let me know that they have the season 1 dvd with the miniseries included,even though they had them seperate as well...so i go to save a few bucks....Just started watching the miniseries.....seems pretty kewl....Gaius is alive?WTH?(Watching the miniseries right now btw :) ).....loved that twist!!but i'm not sure how he is alive....the visual effects are awesome......so far soooooo goooooood!!!.....When I'm done with the miniseries I'll post again.....talk 2 y'all soon :)

-- Merged Double Post --

HI!!! :) :)

I really hate to double post....but I just finished watching the miniseries.......awwwwwwwweeesome!!!!!!
The ending was......WTF???... :) :).....so awesome,thats what I was hoping for out of this tv show....i really like it,combining scifi and some really really kewl twists.....I can't wait to start watching the series,I mean season 1 :)....Looking forward to chit chattin with y'all soon....take care :)
captain jack sparrow
Stunt Double

Next

Return to Battlestar Galactica Discussion [No spoilers!]