Cylon Download Confusing??

General discussion for 'Battlestar Galactica'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Cylon Download Confusing??

Postby JediChewy on Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:26 pm

I'm on Season 2. I'm kinda confused about Cylons on their ability to download memories to another body.

For example Head 6 - supporter against torture of Cylons.... Does she have the same memories as the one that seduced Gaius and destroyed human defense main frame? Do any of them have the same memory where one of the Head 6 accused Gaius of betraying the human race and then she disappeared? And now the one on Caprica, this one has memories of being with Gaius but does she have one where she was tortured by the other ship?

When Cyclons die and reborn what memories are downloaded? Are they all connected are do they have different experiences?
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Cylon Download Confusing??

Postby The Strog on Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:45 pm

Well, basically there are 12 cylon models. Not 12 cylon personalities.

I'm not sure how many personalities there are, but it is definitely more than twelve. For simplicity's sake, let's say 500. Those 500 personalities are distributed across the 12 models.

So:

Personality 1: Cylon Model #1
Personality 2: Cylon Model #2
Personality 3: Cylon Model #3

etc...then:

Personality 12: Cylon Model #12
Personality 13: Cylon Model #1
Personality 14: Cylon Model #2

etc. etc. They just start over.

So when one of the bodies in which the personalities reside dies, the personality and memories and downloaded into the same model as the previous body. Thus, not all 6's remember Gaius. Only the one that died in the attack on Caprica.

Am I being clear?
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby JediChewy on Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:13 am

I think I get it....So if one Cylon dies, that personality/memory gets downloaded into the same Cylon model # type like a rebirth... And so another Cylon of the same model # will have different personality/memories because of different missions. Am I close? How is it then Gaius appears as a vision and vice versa? How are they talking telepathically if that's what it is?
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby The Strog on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:00 pm

JediChewy wrote:I think I get it....So if one Cylon dies, that personality/memory gets downloaded into the same Cylon model # type like a rebirth... And so another Cylon of the same model # will have different personality/memories because of different missions. Am I close?

That's basically it. Like, if Tom Cruise dies...all of his memories/personality gets downloaded into a body that looked just like his old one. Now, let's say that someway...you look exactly like Tom Cruise. You die, and your memories get downloaded into a new Tom Cruise body. You are still you, you just look like Tom Cruise.

How is it then Gaius appears as a vision and vice versa? How are they talking telepathically if that's what it is?

I'm halfway through Season 3 and it still hasn't been explained. He thought it was a chip, but then got a brain scan and found nothing. It could just be purely psychological. I'm not sure. I guess we'll have to wait to find out. :)
If you don't like Doctor Who, click here. If you love Doctor Who, click here. After you've clicked one of those, come here.

Tune in for PSYCH
RETURNING THIS SUMMER ON USA NETWORK
The Strog
Former Staff Member

Postby JediChewy on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:16 am

Well thank you very much for explaining. It's definitely clearer now. I just begun S3. Good to see some Cylons are "good". I know there may be still ??? but BG/Helo's Sharon looks like she's ok to "trust". Interesting how they choose to keep the memories and download them into a new body. I mean why even bother if it's something already done and unnecessary. It can interfere with the goal of Cyclons such as with Gaius' Six.
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby AndLoveYelledNo on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:16 am

JediChewy wrote:I mean why even bother if it's something already done and unnecessary. It can interfere with the goal of Cyclons such as with Gaius' Six.

I guess that's why it's resurrection rather than reincarnation. It's actually easier to bring people back to life right where they left off rather than starting anew again from step 1 and having to learn everything all over again.
AndLoveYelledNo
Supporting Actor

Return to Battlestar Galactica Discussion [No spoilers!]