Should I start watching?

General discussion for '24'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Should I start watching?

Postby El Diablo on Mon May 26, 2008 12:21 am

Nah. You can't compare shows like 24 and Lost. They are too different, not least in the pace. 24 is non-stop with the thrills and action with little character development except for Jack. Whereas Lost is slower and gives more time and focus to the characters instead of action.

That's also without mentioning the on-going mystism and mystery elements to Lost that would be completely out of place in 24.

But yeah, to answer the question, definitely worth watching, especially the earlier seasons.
El Diablo
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby drackodelmal on Mon May 26, 2008 11:24 am

Might be that it is easier than lost, or maybe with less back story.... I enjoy lost and dispite 24... but its because its always the same... something happens tehy call jack and everything is oslved before the hour

I would recomend ALIAS!!!!! instead
drackodelmal
Emmy Nominee

Postby DanielBOONE on Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 am

drackodelmal wrote:Might be that it is easier than lost, or maybe with less back story.... I enjoy lost and dispite 24... but its because its always the same... something happens tehy call jack and everything is oslved before the hour

I would recomend ALIAS!!!!! instead

Ok 24 can't be compared to ANYTHING on television because it's unlike anything you will see. The pace, the action, the stories, all of it is nothing like anything else on tv today. And I'm sorry but Alias should NEVER be chosen over 24. Not that Alias isn't good, it definitely is, but I think all 24 fans would agree that as far as spy/action shows are concerned, there never has been nor will there ever be one that even holds a candle to 24.

Also on 24 nothing is ever solved within the hour. The show is in real time and that's why it's so intense. Most of the time in 24 if a problem arises it isn't taken care of until hours later, which in 24's case would be several episodes later. Most of the big problems though aren't even solved until the end of the season. 24 is not that cut and dry where there is a problem and it's just over by the end of the hour. It's actually totally opposite from that and that's what makes it so intense. To see Jack running all over the place and working with CTU or whoever he is at the time to take care of a particular problem that's coming to the surface and is dependant upon the time it takes to get it taken care of is what makes this show so worth while.
Last edited by DanielBOONE on Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanielBOONE
Viewer

Postby BAZ on Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 am

This thread has made me want to watch 24. It sounds great from some of your posts here
Aiming to watch the season finale spoiler free this time
BAZ
Stunt Double

Postby DanielBOONE on Wed May 28, 2008 8:47 am

Dude watch it for real. And don't start with S3 or S5. Start at the very beginning with S1. It's so much more worth while that way. You'll love it trust me!!
DanielBOONE
Viewer

Postby frekkells on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:04 pm

dizzy wrote:
Legend wrote:I think it's better than Lost too. :o

:ugeek: Comparing Lost to 24 is like comparing the Daily Show to The Situation Room. They are incomparable.

I don't know, I think you could compare them in the grand scheme of tv programming. They are both cutting edge shows, that don't shy away from new techniques in storytelling on tv and they both enjoy killing off their main characters. But as far as content, you are correct, they are incomparable.
FREKKELL'S FANTASY FORCE ~ 6th place ~ Season 5 LFL
Credit and Much Thanks to MAGIC BOX for the awesome banner.

Proud owner of Ben's Annie doll and line, "I always have a plan."
frekkells
Show Expert

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:05 pm

Noting is better than Lost. Period. Except maybe a Vincent-Smokey D spin-off.
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby El Diablo on Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:45 pm

Glad it has helped you want to watch it. It is definitely a show to watch, and definitely from the very beginning.

The pace is relentless and nothing lets up until it's all over. It's real edge of your seat stuff and it'll help you get used to cliffhangers and every single episodes seem to end on one.
El Diablo
Stunt Double

Postby Domino on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I started watching S5 so I was pretty stoked to sit down and watch S1 all the way through. Can't wait to do the same with the rest of the Seasons.
Domino
Viewer

Postby JediChewy on Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:12 pm

Actually 24 is so dramatically different from Heroes and LOST in that 24 is more aimed for a realistic theme. For example if a character gets shot in the head or dies of some sort, pretty much (Except for one returning character) that character is DEAD. Whereas in LOST and Heroes who knows and some can come back as ghosts or visions of grandeur. I would say once you see a few of first season that's pretty much the theme of all seasons. Not that 24 is boring, but it is usually always about American patriotism, capturing terrorists....and I think they covered a lot of the major security threat themes. So if you are not American 24 may be a bit of a bore or funny to you unless you enjoy American Patriotism. Jack Bauer and other characters are great and I would say my faves are S 1-3, the last few are alright and can't wait until November!
May The Force Be With You!
JediChewy
Guest Star

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:09 am

haha, well i just started watching S1 and plan on going through all the seasons. Jack Bauer is the baddest ass character ever, well, right under vincent of course ;) .

I really am enjoying this show, its just so intense. Every hour is like a movie. Awesome awesome stuff! :thumbsup:
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Joshjb on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:40 pm

I loved the first season, but the second one... not so much. It wasn't bad, but it got a little boring at times. I started watching it like a year and a half ago and I still haven't finished the third season.
Last edited by Joshjb on Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby Tranquility on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:53 pm

Season 3 was pretty great imo. One of my favorites.

The thing that worries me about season 7 is that I won't be able to watch 3-4 episodes a day and really get into the story. Waiting one week to see the next hour will be a pain in the ass :(
Tranquility
Supporting Actor

Postby Dexter on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:37 pm

You should start watching! ;)
Dexter
Viewer

Postby edj999 on Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:52 pm

I've watched every season of 24 so far and have never been bored, not one moment, you never know what to expect and every episode leaves you wanting more, it's hard sometimes to have to wait a week to know the answer to a question and when you get the answer it raises more questions. the show has 24 episodes and you would think by the end it would get boring but not at all, still one of my favourite shows, love Kiefer Sutherland as Jack Bauer, also every season they have a really good actor to play the bad guy, the only thing not so good about 24 is that many of the supporting cast get killed off so if you have a favourite caracter besides Jack there's always a chance he or she won't make it till the end of the season, so i'm glad that Chloe is still in the show.
edj999
Viewer

PreviousNext

Return to 24 Discussion [No spoilers!]