Daniel Allar "Avocado" passed away ;(

General discussion for 'Prison Break'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Daniel Allar "Avocado" passed away ;(

Postby Damian89 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:31 pm

The actor who played "Avocado", Daniel Allar, just passed away at the age of 46 after a "long battle with cancer". He left a wife and two children.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 5902.story

Daniel E. Allar, 1962-2009: Westchester actor had roles on stage, in 'Prison Break'
He appeared in 'Prison Break,' 'Early Edition'

By Joan Giangrasse Kates | Special to the Tribune
January 15, 2009

Daniel E. Allar didn't just play in Peoria. His distinctive looks and versatile acting talents took him to the Chicago-area's top theatrical venues and even to Carnegie Hall.

Solidly built at 6-foot-8, the Peoria native and father of two performed in everything from serious dramas to comedies. His stage credits included the Goodman, Chicago Shakespeare, First Folio and Porchlight theaters.

"Dan was one of our city's most beloved actors and the world's most gentle giant," said Barbara Gaines, the founder and artistic director of Chicago Shakespeare Theater. "There wasn't a show he worked that he couldn't glean a laugh or tear from an audience."

Mr. Allar also appeared on the Fox television series "Prison Break," where he played inmate Avocado in several episodes.

"He got that role after doing a reading for casting directors, who afterward asked him what he thought of the script," said his wife of 19 years, Gwendolyn. "He said, 'I feel creepy and slimy,' and then he asked to take a shower."

Mr. Allar, 46, of Westchester, died Saturday, Jan. 10, in his home, after a long battle with cancer.

Born and raised in Peoria, Mr. Allar began acting in grade school and joined the Woodruff High School Drama Club in Peoria.

"He loved acting from the moment he first stepped on a stage," his wife said.

During the 1980s, Mr. Allar performed at small theaters throughout the Midwest, but returned to Peoria to audition for a play directed by his future wife at the Corn Stock Theater.

After the couple's marriage in 1989, Mr. Allar worked for five years at Bradley University in Peoria, where he helped run the theater department and served as a technical director. In 1994, Mr. Allar moved with his wife to Westchester and began carving out a career as a character actor at theaters such as Drury Lane in Oak Brook and Pheasant Run in St. Charles.

By the late 1990s, he was performing at Chicago's biggest theaters and had landed roles in the television shows "Early Edition," filmed in Chicago, and "What About Joan," which starred Chicago actress Joan Cusack.

In 2005, Mr. Allar was diagnosed with colon cancer and underwent treatments while continuing to work.

"His sheer willpower kept him going during a time when most would quit," Gaines said.

In 2006, Mr. Allar performed with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, and soon after at Carnegie Hall in New York City, in a dramatic presentation about the life of Hungarian composer Bela Bartok. That year, he brought to life his recurring role on "Prison Break."

"We took our kids to Disney World and people recognized him from 'Prison Break,' " his wife said. "They'd walk up and say, 'You're Avocado, right?' "

But despite his many roles, Mr. Allar's favorite was always as husband and father, those closest to him say.

"He loved acting, but was completely in love with Gwen and his children," Gaines said.

Other survivors include a son, Garrett; a daughter, Isabella; his parents, Michael and Ramona; and two brothers, Stephen and Robert.

A memorial visitation will be held from 4 to 7 p.m., Thursday in the Mayslake Peabody Estate at the DuPage Forest Preserve in Oak Brook, and again on Saturday at 11 a.m. at University United Methodist Church in Peoria.
SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH, BUT I'M FROM POLAND. I HOPE, YOU CAN UNDERSTAND ME :)
Damian89
Viewer

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Daniel Allar "Avocado" passed away ;(

Postby bicbic on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:36 pm

That's sad news... I'm sorry to hear that. :(
Allar played Avacado very well.
bicbic
Viewer

Postby Dea on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:32 pm

thats realy sad to hear :(.
R.I.P.
Dea
Viewer

Postby Tranquility on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:38 pm

RIP

Avocado was a great character.
Tranquility
Supporting Actor

Postby ivaja on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:11 pm

I fee sorry for the actor, but I didn't like his character at all.
ivaja
Extra

Postby Dexter on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:38 pm

That's sad. :cry: R.I.P. :(
Dexter
Viewer

Postby SBristow on Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:10 am

Very sad news... he did a great job on Prison Break.
Rest in peace.... :(
SBristow
Viewer

Postby Wannabe815survivor on Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:17 am

R.I.P. Daniel Allar
He was a good actor :cry:
Ana-Lucia: Shut up. When I tell you to do something, you do it... I say move, you move... I say stop, you stop. I say jump, what do you say?
Sawyer: You first. :lol:

Sawyer: Swell. I guess we can all sue Oceanic together.

Ben: Destiny, John, is a fickle bitch.

Alex: You locked Karl in a cage! You put him in a room and tried to brainwash him!
Ben: I didn't want him to get you pregnant. I suppose I overreacted...
Wannabe815survivor
Stunt Double

Postby Jumarg on Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:18 am

I haven't heard about this before, very sad news :( R.I.P.
Jumarg
Supporting Actor

Return to Prison Break Discussion [No spoilers!]