Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: Reviewing Supernatural from the beginning

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:00 pm

Very interesting take on things...I'm appreciating the new perspective! As for the urban legends, Sam and Dean are always saying that every legened starts somewhere, with an actual story, which is what gives them the basis for hunting and stopping them. I just find the whole notion of hunting the supernatural fascinating!
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Pigeon666 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:35 pm

The whole idea about hunting the supernatural terrifies me. :D
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:02 pm

Great reviews and thoughts everyone. Keep them coming!

Season 1, Episode 13: Route 666

Original Air Date—31 January 2006
Dean gets contacted by his first love, an African American woman, about racist murders that occur on a desert route, caused by a truck that seems driver-less.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I really liked Cassie and thought she and Dean made a great couple. Still the 'killer truck' was a bit out there and it really didn't have the 'eek' factor I like. I did love some of the scenes though, especially when Sam and Dean are talking outside Cassie's house. Loved Sam's line "I miss conversations that didn't start with 'so this killer truck'."

I think I'd give this one about a 6 out of 10.
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Dahne on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:29 pm

I disagree. I think the actress who played Cassie largely acted like a plank of wood. She completely ruined the episode for me (although that isn't hard with a killer racist truck) and the 4400. All in all, the only thing the keeps this episode from being dead last for me is that it had some funny lines. As it is, its my third least favorite episode behind Bugs (all-time worst) and The Third Man, which just sucked too.
Dahne
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Huh, I didn't mind Cassie at all. The truck though just didn't do it for me. I didn't hate the episode though, it just wasn't one I'd make a point to watch over and over.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Wow, disagree totally on Cassie. I thought she was a perfect foil for Dean. He needs someone who can stand up to him and that's what she gave him, she made him come clean about things which was a pretty huge step on his part. I was struck by the whole relationship because it was so much more emotion driven than I would've expected out of Dean, and that was reflected in the love scene itself, which had a much more "human" feel to it than Sam's eventual love scene with Madison, which was much more primal and animalistic (appropriate, given Madison's status as a werewolf). I just found it really interesting the approach the writer's took when it finally came to showing us the guys' in relationships and how each were exactly the opposite of what I would've expected.

As for the story itself, yeah the killer truck was definitely lame...lacked the creepy factor big time, which is the real drawback of this episode. But it had some great lines; some great interplay between Sam and Dean, giving us another layer of their relationshiip both with Sam getting angry over Dean revealing the family secret and then later Sam poking fun at Dean for letting his feelings for Cassie show, it was just great and very realistic brotherly rapport; and gave us a great foil for Dean.

All in all, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:45 pm

I'll take Dahne's side on Cassie. The only way the casters would have thought she was perfect was if they wanted a fence post. However, I don't outright hate Route 666 - the story was lame, yeah, but for some unfathomable reason I didn't find it awful. I liked the acting of Sam and Dean.

6 out of 10.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."

Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 pm

I'm with Dahne regarding the actress who played Cassie, as well. I thought her performance was completely flat, and remember thinking so when I watched the epi for the first time.

Dahne, sorry if you've previously explained this (I haven't read the entire thread yet), but why is The Third Man your least favorite epi? I watched S6 really quickly so some of the episodes kind of bleed together, but from what I remember it wasn't too bad. But like I said, a lot of S6 seems like one big episode for me so I could be off on that.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby Bec666 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:08 am

Newbies and anyone else feel free to jump right in.

Moving on...

Season 1, Episode 14: Nightmare

Original Air Date—7 February 2006
Sam has a premonition in which a man is killed, but the murder is made to look like a suicide. Sam convinces Dean that they must investigate the case, but the two are puzzled when they fail to find anything that indicates that the death was supernatural in nature. That is, until they find out that Max, the reclusive son of the first victim, has been using his recently acquired power of telekinesis to kill the family members that once abused him. Sam also discovers Max's mother was killed by the same fiery demon that took his own mom.

Ok.. I have real mixed feelings about this one. I loved, loved, loved the play between the brothers. Sam with his painful visions and Dean being the Awesome big brother. The scenes when Sam had visions were just great. Yes I'm a sap, I love when Dean takes care of his brother.

After that... well I did not like the episode at all. I really, really, really hated Max. The guy just made my skin crawl. For that matter the whole family made my skin crawl. There was just nothing there to like. I honestly didn't care at all the Max killed them off. I found no 'eek' factor in this one at all except maybe when Sam saw Dean get shot.

On a scale of one to 10... 3 out of 10.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:16 am

Actually, I think the eek factor of this one is the fact that the "creature" they were hunting turned about to be a human endowed with special powers, like Sam. When Sam talked about the fact that all things considered he and Dean could've turned out the same way it was both heartwrenching and made your skin crawl to think about what might have been. For that reason, and the interplay between the brothers - yes, I love Dean in awesome big brother mode and Sam being just a hair fragile too - I like this episode.

That being said, I have to say as we progressed through season 2 and delved into the whole "psychic kids" storyline more, I hated that whole storyline more and more. I just think it was a good idea initially but then Kripke and the writers didn't really know how to bring it full circle and it lost steam. In the grand scheme of things though, while Max creeped me out he was actually the best thought out and best presented of the psychic kids. And the telekinesis effects were some of THE best work of the special effects department!

Also, special credit in the creepiness category has to go to the scene with the knife coming a milimeter from the stepmother's eye. There's no way you could watch that scene and not cringe! O.o

And on the opposite side of the spectrum...the final scene when Dean said "as long as I'm around, nothing bad's going to happen to you", is one of my favorites in the entire season, if not the run of the show. Just love, love, LOVE that whole scene! :wub:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Bec666 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:23 am

Hated the psychic kids... although the girl.. brain fart, forget her name.. she was funny
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:53 am

Ava...yeah, she was, but having her turn out to the be the baddie...it just didn't work.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:48 pm

I liked the pychic kids story - though not right away. In fact, I didn't like until Azazel revealed he had a plan for them. I liked it more in season four when the plan was finally revealed.

I liked Nightmare a lot more than you, Bec. The only thing I disliked was Max's character. I just couldn't relate, though I feel like I should have been able to.

Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 pm

I think I didn't like it because the family creeped me out. Not in a scary way like Benders, but in an ewww way. They were all just so .....ewwww... :lol:

I'm moving along, again only cause I want to see if we can get through all of them. Feel free to continue the discussion.

Season 1, Episode 15: The Benders

Original Air Date—14 February 2006
After hearing in 'smallville' Hibbing, while masquerading as Minnesota state police, a boy's story about a monster probably was inspired by a Godzilla movie, Sam points out the county was marked by dad as suspicious and has the state's highest ratio of disappearances, but Dean just wants to relax, at least till the morning, until Sam disappears on the parking lot. Dean teams up with local police woman Kathleen, who even after finding out they impersonated cops decides not to arrest him before Sam is found, because her own brother also disappeared years earlier. Their search reaches the large, lonely house where a sinister human family keeps Sam and others in cages, and their intentions at least are monstrous...

I loved this episode. No monsters, just people. And the Benders, man they were well.. definitely EEEEK. O.o

I can't put my finger on why I like this one so much really... I think it was the brother bond again. And Dean's classic line 'Eat me. No wait, you might actually do it." :)
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:41 am

I loved this one too. The Benders themselves creeped me out but I thought it was really clever of the writers to show us that some of the worst "evil" out there comes directly from humans. But for me what really makes this one work is Dean's reaction to Sam going missing. You're really feeling for him through the whole thing, Jensen almost makes his pain palpable. It's understandable that Kathleen would empathize, having felt the same thing when her brother went missing. And then when Sam and Dean are reaunited again, you almost literally feel yourself exhaling! Just well done all around.

I do love the "Eat me" line, but also love the very end when Sam and Dean are walking off...

Sam: "You got clocked by a 13 year old? You're slowing down there, kiddo."

Dean: "Shut up!"

and then...

Dean: "Don't ever do that to me again."

Sam: "Do what?"

"Go missing. You do and I will not come looking for you again."

"Yes you will."

Sigh! :wub:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

PreviousNext

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]