Favourite Shifter Episode?

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Favourite Shifter Episode?

Postby Pigeon666 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:49 pm

My friend actually asked me this a few days ago - in fact, he asked alot of my buddies this. There were alot of different answers, so I thought it would be fun to see what the internet thinks.

Shapeshifters are probably one of the most recurring monsters. They've made for some pretty interesting, funny, and advancing the storyline epsiodes. They made appearances in four episodes - which one is your favourite?

1: Episode 1:06, Skin.

Marking the first appearance of Shifters, the shapeshifter in question frames Sam's college friend for murder. It's MO is to take on the appearance of husbands and kill their wifes. As it realizes that Sam and Dean are hunting it, it shifts into Dean (by shedding its skin :O ) and begins a "Vulcan mind meld". Sam nails the shifter, but not before it kills as Dean and starts a manhunt for the brothers.

2: Episode 2:12, Nightshifter.

Sam and Dean are drawn to a town where bank employees are robbing different banks. They meet a conspiracy theorist named Ron, who thinks that mandroids are doing it - though the brothers know its shapeshifters. Sam and Dean pose as security and investigate the bank, but Ron comes in and messes things up. The police show up and lay siege to the building as the brothers and Ron stalk the shifter through the bank. It is revealed that the FBI - specifically Agent Victor Henrikson - are tracking the boys. They kill the shapeshifter and barely escape the police.

3: Epsidoe 4:05, Monster Movie.

Black and White Spn! Sam and Dean think they are hunting a vampire, but then things get weird when a victim reports a werewolf - and these two monsters are nothing like the regular vamps and werewolves. Then things get really weird when a mummy kills a museum guard. As Dracula attacks barwench Jamie, Dean comes to the rescue and discovers that they're dealing with a shifter. Jamie ends up killing the shapeshifter, who was really just lonely and wanted to be great.

4: Episode 6:02, Two and a Half Men

Sam and Dean are hunting together again, and discover that something in a small town is stealing babies. Sam investigates, and discovers that a dead mother left behind a live baby, who actually turns out to be a shapeshifter - a result of shifters taking on the appearance of husbands and breeding. The brothers take care of the baby while other shapeshifters hunt them for it, and take it to the Campbell Compound, where the Alpha shifter is angry and kills 3 Campbells while getting away with the baby. It is revealed that Sam was actually using the baby as bait for the Alpha.

So whats your favourite? Mine has to be Nightshifter.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Favourite Shifter Episode?

Postby Bec666 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:57 pm

Hmm good question... I think I'd go with Skin and the 'Dean' shifter. Mostly cause of the eww factor. I mean sloughing off his skin... just gross.

Was not a fan of Nightshifter at all and the Shifter in Monster Movie was mostly humor.

So I think my second choice would be Two and a Half men. The baby shifter was a riot. :)
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:25 pm

The baby shifter was hysterical and the Alpha was totally freaky the way he shifted instantaneously. I loved NIghtshifter as an episode but for reasons other than the shifter itself. So I'm down to Skin and Monster Movie, both of which have their strong points.

I loved the idea of one of the guys being faced with a creature actually taking his identity and the creep out factor when it shifted was major but...

I've got a soft spot for Monster Movie. Not only was the whole episode done brilliantly as a tribute to the classic horror movies, but I loved the idea that it made us think of the actual motivation behind the Shifter. It wasn't just a monster being a monster for the hell of it...it was troubled and felt like an outcast and wanted desperately to fit in. Actually, it was something that those classic horror movies did really well (well, some better than others), allowing us to see the humanity behind the creature, so to speak. So I just thought it was the icing on the cake for that whole tribute and a great look at Shifters in general.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Ruth78 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:29 am

For me it would have to be Skin.
Season one will probably always remain my favorite season and even though the acting has come a long way since then, IMO, the "monsters" were a bit more central to the plot in those days, and this one was so well done - the part where "Dean" was alone with Sam's friend's sister really made me hold my breath, the shedding of the skin made my skin crawl, too.
One of my fave episodes, actually.
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby CLDeangrl on Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Agreed on Season One...One and Two are the pinnacle for me, though I have to say last season came close to matching them.

I loved how Jensen drew the distinct difference between Dean and the Shifter as Dean...just a brilliant acting job, imo. I did wish that we had actually seen the two characters interact directly, though...I always felt that was missing from that episode.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:20 pm

Does anyone want to see more of these types pf posts? (Example, favourite vamp episode) I could do more but if they are not generating enough discussion then I won't bother.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."

Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby CLDeangrl on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 pm

It's all cool by me, Pigeon...I love this stuff! :thumbup:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Sounds good :) I'll do a vampire one soon.

Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:49 pm

Excellent I'm in!
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby trackerem on Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:35 am

Nightshifter for me. Double Dean is always a :thumbup: for me! Although the show doesn't have much nasty gore, what we have makes me turn my head! This one definitely made me turn away!
trackerem
Show Expert

Postby CLDeangrl on Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Double Dean? Then I think you meant Skin, not Nightshifter. ;)
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby trackerem on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:43 am

who knows what i meant! nightshifter from this list, remembering skins!
trackerem
Show Expert

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]