Season 7 Discussion - Episode 7 - The Mentalists

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Season 7 Discussion - Episode 7 - The Mentalists

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:11 am

YESSS!!!! :w00t:

We're two for two...two excellent episodes in a row with classic Supernatural vibes! I'm loving this!!

Great case...the deaths were appropriately gruesome, the baddie was a total dick...ah, just like old times. :D

Finally Dean comes clean and tells Sam what he needs to hear, whether Sam realizes it or not. That was a great scene.

The stuff in the museum was excellent too...many subtle messages about siblings working together, ya think? But it looks like it did the job...got through to Sam.

And leave it to Ellen to reach out from the other side and get through to Dean. You rock, Ellen, even as a spirit!

And working together to stop the baddie was definitely aweseome...again, classic SPN.

Some good quotes along the way...

"Real woo woo crap"...awesome!

"You affirmate me again and I'll punch you in the face!" :rofl:

Then I was cringing waiting for the last five minutes wondering if they were going to punch us in the gut again, but MAN was that worth the wait! Freakin' FINALLY...Dean sounding human, Sam forgiving him and Dean coming clean about all the crap that's been weighing on him. Can we all say MAJOR sigh of relief? Now let's get back to kicking bad guy ass, shall we?

Oh and now that the boys are back to being the boys...could we PLEASE get the Impala back too? Seeing them driving around in other cars is just so wrong!

But I's a happy camper otherwise...SIGH!!! :thumbsup:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Season 7 Discussion - Episode 7 - The Mentalists

Postby Bec666 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:20 am

I loved it. It felt like old time Supernatural. It had the gruesome deaths, I mean a guy got forked to death! :) And it had the spook factor, as well as the interplay between the brothers.

There were a LOT of subtle messages in this episode too. Every psychic they ran into had some little dig or word to the wise. Twice they brought up an older sibling taking care of a younger one and again in the preview to next week. I think maybe that is Dean's 'secret', he can't 'take care' of Sam anymore. Sam's all grown up.

Cudos to the Ellen visit, that was just perfect. And Dean finally letting Sam have it had me cheering. It was about time and they both needed it.

And the ending.. what can I say? We finally had the boys back. It felt really, really good.

10 out of 10 for me. Old time Supernatural.
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Agree, Bec. The parralels and comparisons made to the brothers were out in plain sight - but in a good ay. I'm so glad that they resolved the problem acting like mature adults, and the Ellen thing was pretty awesome. When he said "Eleanor" first, though, I thought he meant Dr. Visyak. :)

It was fun to get a ghost episode, since theyre really on the endangered list right now - season six had a total of one, as did season 5. Here's hoping there's more.

I want the Impala Back!

8.5 out of 10.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Ruth78 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:10 pm

So the "Amy" issue seems to have been created as a way to play into this episode, it seems.

Loved the "ghosthunt" itself - a definite 8/10 for that whole side of it.

I thought the reunion and the build up to it were fairly predictable Supernatural fare, and I absolutely believe they're gonna catch us out from left field here - the sighs of relief will be short lived, I feel, because we haven't had the traditional (of the last few seasons, anyway) scene where Dean feels they should go their own way - and I think that's coming - born out of the fact that Dean can't be the protector anymore.

One other niggle - I hate the way Dean's attitude to Sam's mental state is being written - I actually flinched along with Sam when Dean flung that "shooting at Satan" line at him - sorry, I know it's dumb to take it so seriously, but I really hope they have him soften his approach soon.

Really sorry to be a whiner, guys - this was a great episode, when it comes down to it, but I can't shake this feeling that each week I'm waiting for another depressing blow to fall - you can sort of bear it when the darkness is in the
things the brothers are fighting, but not when it's in the brothers themselves - well I can't anyway

Hey. next week I'm going to make a big effort to come on here and say only positive things :-)
If not, I'll stay away from the board until I can :rofl:

(Oh, and I agree - the Impala needs to come back soon - that would cheer Dean up!)
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:35 pm

Pigeon, yes I loved the old time Monster hunt or in this case Ghost hunt. I'm not quite sure if there is more to Ellen's message though. Was it a warning that there is more to Dean's issues or was it simply to tell him to get his head out of his ass and work things out with Sam?

Ruth, I think you need to calm down and just enjoy the ride. Every season has it's ups and downs and bumps but it always works out. Personally I don't think Dean is going to turn on Sam at all. I think they will be pulled closer together from here on out because they are all they have. They need each other to survive. AND they are still brothers and as last nights episode showed, they still love each other very much. In a non chick flick sort of way.

I do agree about Dean's attitude toward Sam's wall falling. He is almost acting like it's Sam's fault he can't cope. Then when Sam does cope he gets annoyed. I would have much rather seen the Dean from episode two(I think it was two), when he talked the gun out of Sam's hand. He was gentle and caring, lately he's been **** and annoyed.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby Ruth78 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Bec - I'm sorry! :blush: you're quite right - that's good advice and I'm going to take it! I'll calm down and go with the flow from here on in :D
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:50 pm

LOL, don't apologize. I hope that didn't sound mean. I meant it in a nice way. I've lost sleep over the show in past seasons so I do know where you are coming from.. I finally realized that no matter how many times they kicked us in the stomach it eventually worked out in the end. :)
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:12 pm

No need to apologize, Ruth, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I'm with bec, I think you need to just relax and go along for the ride. Things almost always work themselves out in the end, one way or another. :)

I actually think the resolution this week was a big step forward for both brothers. They came at their problem like adults, each willing to see the other's side of things and respecting the others feelings. Though I wanted Sam to get angry and throw a punch last week, now I see that that wouldn't have achieved anything and that this was really for the best.

I think Ellen's message was about Dean allowing himself to trust again...he needs to tell someone how bad it is, as she said, he can't keep it all in. He admitted that he's having troubles trusting after what happened with Cas, which is understandable. I think saying that out loud was the first step for him, along with letting Sam walk away and work things out for himself (which Dean would not have been as quick to do in earlier seasons), so I think he's headed in the right direction.

And I think Sam came to understand Dean's stance on the Amy situation and was able to understand what things have been like from Dean's side, which is an important step as well.

Yes, I disagreed with the way they've had Dean reacting to Sam's situation up to now too, but in a way I can see it...it's not exactly something that he's used to handling and since he's already having major trust issues, not being able to trust Sam because his head is literally not in the right place can't be easy. Doesn't excuse him for being a dick about it, and I do think that was totally out of character for him, but I certainly don't think it would be something that he would handle easily. Sam's not the only one having to figure out how to deal with the hallucinations.

And as much as Sam says he's coping, they both know nothing has changed...he's still got Satan-vision going on in there and Dean's probably figuring it's going to come back and bite them in the ass at some point, which it probably will.

But all in all, I've been breathing a major sigh of relief this week and last because Dean has begun sounding like the Dean we know and love and stopped being such a mess. That's a GOOD thing, and hopefully they can build from here and move on TOGETHER as a team, because they're going to need to be to take on the Leviathans and to deal with Sam's hallucinations.

And I think that was the main point of Ellen's message...you can't do it all alone. Neither of them can. For me, that was definitely a "get your head out of your ass" moment and an awesome way to do it too! :D
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby isabelle on Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Glad to see Sam and Dean back together again. :thumbsup:

When Sam said he has to go outside to do something so that Dean could say goodbye to the girl I actually expected to see Sam slip away and go off alone. And then Dean would come out and look around and find him gone. Very happy to see that did not happen and thought it was very sweet that Sam was loading his stuff into Dean's car :wub:

Did anyone notice that when Dean was searching the crime scene and said "Am I going to win the powerball", he then looked up and said "I'm gonna be rich!" but no one was there to listen. I think he was talking to Sam and just forgot that Sam was not with him for a sec.
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Ruth78 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Bec, no you didn't sound mean, just sensible. And CLDeangirl - some good points as always - I'm sure you're both right; Truth is I've probably been scarred for life by seasons 4 and 5 :blush: :D

Isabelle, I liked that Dean seemed quietly pleased that Sam was loading his stuff into the car - if things stay as they were at the end, then I'll be more than glad :)
Sam "raiding" the pregnancy yoga session was funny, too!
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:42 pm

I forgot all about the Lamaze class scene...that was hysterical!! I was wondering what Gen was thinking about that one now that she's pregnant! :rofl:

And please...I was scarred by Season 3, nevermind 4 and 5! I hated that season and still do. So you're not alone. :D
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]