Season 7 - Ep. 9 - How to win Friends and Influence Monsters

General discussion for 'Supernatural'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Season 7 - Ep. 9 - How to win Friends and Influence Monsters

Postby Bec666 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 am

Wow... what a nice present after last week's debacle of an episode. This one was great, from start to heart attack ending. It felt like old time Supernatural.

I'll start with Dean. He cracked me up, it was just classic Dean, ok, stoned Dean but it was great. We had both sides of Dean too. First the 'Whoa is me, I don't want to live' to the funny as hell Dean. It had me smiling.

Sam, ok I get the feeling Sera and the crew just don't know who Sam is anymore. As Ruth has mentioned, it's like they don't know how to make him normal. He was pretty normal tonight but he still doesn't feel like the 'old Sam'. Maybe that's just me. I did like his talk with Bobby though. Lucy is still in the building.

And the ending... dang.... Bobby WILL NOT DIE! You have been warned Sera. Kill Bobby and I will hunt you down. I am curious where the are going to take this. God I hope this isn't one more brick falling out of Dean's unstable mind. Yes Dean, not Sam. Sam is dealing with all the crap, Dean isn't.

Cudos to the rebound from last week. This one was great.

Oh and you had to love the 'Rise of Dick'.... Classic! :)
ImageImage Image
I'm a Sam Girl, but I've been known to cheat....
Sometimes life's Hell. But hey! Whatever gets the marshmallows toasty.
Bec666
Guest Star

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Season 7 - Ep. 9 - How to win Friends and Influence Mons

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:28 am

Whew...ok, deep breath! That was a wild ride. SO much better than last week.

Some great lines...Bobby's whole "You don't shoot Bambi, jackass, you shoot Bambi's mother" was classic.

I'm glad that Bobby read Dean the riot act yet again. I have to say, I am not loving this whole "suicidal Dean" thing. How much can they possibly pick his character apart? Ok, we get it already! :P

That aside, stoned Dean was a hoot. And "Ken doll"...that was too funny!

Always knew nothing good could come from turducken! :D

Of course, Sam had his moment too...better to have all the crazy in one place? Um yeah, there's definitely more to come for Sam too.

As Bobby said..."You were always one deep little son of a bitch!"

I liked how they brought in the Leviathans but I'm still not seeing where they're going with this whole thing. If they're taking over the world, then why are they so concerned about the Winchesters?

Then again, given how the whole thing ended, maybe they should be.

Oh, and "Rise of Dick"...classic Ben Edlund! :thumbsup:

Which brings us back to Bobby...so they left us with a cliffy, but I refuse to believe this is the end for him. There's just got to be more! Of course, this being SPN, they'll probably make us wait until after the mid-season break to find out...geeze! O.o

But bottom line...bless you, Ben Edlund, for reminding us why we love this show so much. As usual, you totally rock!

I kind of wished for more Jersey Devil but that's a minor quibble.

I'd definitely give this 9 out 10. :thumbup:
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Pigeon666 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:21 pm

First of all, did I call this episode or what? See my theory on Biggersons resteraunt post.

I thought this episode was amazing, I've loved all the Leviathan episodes this season. I love everything about them and "The Rise of Dick".

Wish we got a bit more Jersey Devil...the zombied out guy was creepy though. Bobby made a great shot to put him down.

Never eating Turducken ever. 9.5 out of 10.
"Some people are like slinkies: completely useless, but put a smile on your face when pushed down a flight of stairs."
"Do these tacos taste funny to you?" - Dean Winchester

What you don't have you don't need it now
What you don't know you can feel it somehow
Pigeon666
Show Expert

Postby Bec666 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:18 pm

And to think I was going to experiment and try to do a turdunken.... :scared:

Bobby's shot was awesome and I agree. I'm loving the Leviathans. The guy had to eat himself... :lol:

There were just so many good things about this one.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:18 pm

Oh my god, I forgot all about your Biggerson's prediction, Pigeon...you definitely called that one! :rofl:

And yeah, that was an awesome shot by Bobby.

A little more Jersey Devil would've been good but I can't complain overall...awesome episode!
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Postby Ruth78 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:59 pm

You did indeed call it, Pigeon _ well done :-)

Bec, on the subject of Sam: I say this as a diehard "Winchester" girl rather than a Sam or Deangirl, but because they don't invest much into showing who he is and how he feels, when we get a heavy "Dean arc", like we currently have, I feel Sam becomes a little like a secondary, one dimensional character at times.
Ok, he's definitely not good at the moment,
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
in fact, I think he will eventually become completely unhinged, and that will be the last straw that causes Dean to completely fall apart - unless they throw us a massive curve ball, it seem really clear that that's where this is all heading :-(

But until the script calls for him to physically show he's not ok he becomes, sometimes, almost a bystander to the plot -I can't sum it up better than that without turning this post into a full on essay, but characters and their analysis are my big thing with shows I love - probably too much so! So this bugs me slightly!

Anyway, that aside - what a huge improvement on last week!
Some gore, some danger, some humour, and an edge of seat cliffhanger!
A solid 8.5 from me for this one!
Ruth78
Viewer

Postby Bec666 on Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:23 am

Ruth, they definitely don't know what to do with Sam so far. Once again the sub theme to the season seems to be Dean. Each week the focus is on him with and occasional 'oh let's toss Sam in'. I love Dean but I love both of them so it would be nice to see them put Sam back together once and for all.

Even in the Samcentric episodes (The Amy episode and Time for a Wedding). The focus really wasn't on Sam it was on Dean.

Still I love the show and the boys and I am hopeful Sera will get her head out of her butt and put the show back to what made it so good. BROTHERS and the bond they have.
ImageImage Image
Bec666
Guest Star

Postby CLDeangrl on Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:29 pm

Agreed with both of you. It's totally frustrating me how they're coming at both characters this season. It's like they wanted to acknowledge that the guys had grown and changed, which considering everything they've been through is perfectly understandable, but they don't know how to go about doing it. They've latched onto these simple plot points..."We'll have Dean drinking and having an 'I don't care' attitude" and "we'll have Sam squeezing his hand to stop the hallucinations and acting like everything is ok"...and now they can't seem to progress from there for either brother.

And in the process, as bec said, they've lost the true main focus of the show which is the BROTHERS...plural...and their relationship with each other.

I have to say, thus far I'm much more disappointed with this season...it's not nearly as good overall as last season. Sera's having a major sophomore slump and I really hope she snaps out of it soon.
CLDeangrl
Guest Star

Return to Supernatural Discussion [No spoilers!]