[Official] Heroes Episode 4.07 Discussion

General discussion for 'Heroes'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Re: [Official] Heroes Episode 4.07 Discussion

Postby Rogers on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:47 am

I was a bit suspicious that Parkman might not actually be killing Sylar by simply drinking beers. It seems that some omnipotent immortal monster likely wouldn't be weakened by Bud Lite. However, it was a neat twist to have Sylar commandeer Parkman's body. Oh the places he'll go.

Spleen wrote: Claires bit was abit hit and miss, the whole lesbian relationship tension was annoying, but the rest was ok, which is actually quite good considering it was a Claire storyline.

The writers and producers have done a great job portraying a homosexual relationship without making it stick out as weird, and ... you can see in Claire's response to Gretchen, that she never made the homosexual part seem like it would be an odd lifestyle choice, or too difficult to incorporate into her life (that she wants to be simple) - topics that might not have been handled as sensitively in years past. I think that the show deserves recognition for this - definitely a big step forward from what television might have done with Queer Eye or the L-Word, where a homosexual lifestyle is a foreign and exotic world that straight people struggle to understand.

Very well done - and at no time do we get the impression that Claire doesn't sincerely care for Gretchen, rather she's struggling to get herself settled in and isn't ready to enter into a relationship (and that the relationship would be a homosexual one isn't a consequence or a complication) - they've simply left it as a relationship that she's not ready for - and the writers and producers deserve credit for the subtlety and taste that they've done with this so far.

I have a feeling Gretchen isn't going to live long after this episode - though. With the Travelling Circus looking to ostracize Claire and have her come running for the mutant crowd - Gretchen might be the last thing Claire can hold on to. Obviously a target for the circus to have Claire come loose.

Man_of_Faith wrote:Jeremy was getting on my nerves, so I'm glad they killed him off.

C.A.B1992 wrote:Good but, sad episode. Can't believe the way they killed off Jeremy I really thought Noah was going to save him at the last moment but in the end Samuel gave them swift justice!

mom wrote:I loved the Noah/Tracy scenes...too bad about Jeremy although I hadn't even had time to decide if I liked the character :lol:

Devil's Arcade wrote:I could have liked Jeremy, but is actor could not act!

Nick wrote:Annoying healer kid...happy to see him go. Yeah, I know we're supposed to feel bad, but I think I just have a problem with the actor...I've seen him play this exact character a few times already in other stuff. And he's not that good at it.

Mark L. Young's brooding emo kid was as realistic as you would imagine. As for seeing him play the same roll over and over - well, he was a similar brooding emo kid on CSI about two years ago in the dog-fighting episode - and he was amazing in it. But, then again, if you're not into that sorta thing, then he's not offering what you're looking to buy, right? It's too bad, I thought he was just fine - and if you haven't seen him in the "Lying Down with Dogs" from 2007, ... man, get you kleenex out and spend 50 minutes watching him work.

As for Parkman leaving a message on Mohinder's answering machine - nice! Hopefully (and obviously) this is going to bring the good doctor back into the story. Since they've been keeping him out of the arc for the first few episodes, we'll have to suspect that he'll play an integral part once he returns to the storyline - which is important for his character. For how long has he been useless instead of awesome? I'm sure he'll have something serious to do with the Sylar/Parkman storyline - and his father's research will undoubtedly be linked with Samuel's circus freaks.

As for the Circus Freaks - I'm with you guys. I still can't figure out what they want, why we haven't heard of them before, what they're looking for, why coaxing Hiro into using his time-travelling to change things in the past was important - or what they need to suck up all the "heroes" for. No idea. I know that Samuel continues to use the word "family" quite a bit, and that terminology and mission seems to link itself with what Magneto was doing in the Marvel Universe. The "brotherhood" (and I preface this by saying I am NOT an expert on this matter in ANY conceivable way) seemed to be gathering up all the mutants so that they could protect themselves from humanity (and eliminate all the humans) right?

Perhaps Samuel has this motive in mind? That could make him a neat villain in the end.

And then there would have to be a good group of "heroes" to combat the bad heroes, setting up the X-Men squad, if that story was to hold any weight in an argument. [Just a hypothesis - loosely conceived and poorly reviewed.]

Anyhow - it was a good episode and certainly it's been a strong season for the show. Looking forward to seeing where this is going, because the potential is high!
Rogers
Stunt Double

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby SmokeyD on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:55 pm

Rogers wrote:I have a feeling Gretchen isn't going to live long after this episode - though. With the Travelling Circus looking to ostracize Claire and have her come running for the mutant crowd - Gretchen might be the last thing Claire can hold on to. Obviously a target for the circus to have Claire come loose.

Actually, I was thinking almost the opposite. Now that Claire realizes that someone has been actaully working behind the scenes(Invisible girl), I think she will actually be much harder to ostersize. Because now Claire (And Gretechen for that matter) know that there actually was somebody working behind the scenes (so to speak).

It would have been easier to bring Calire in if everyone else had thought she was just a paranoid nut case. But now there are witnesses...
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Rogers on Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:45 pm

SmokeyD wrote:Actually, I was thinking almost the opposite. Now that Claire realizes that someone has been actaully working behind the scenes(Invisible girl), I think she will actually be much harder to ostersize. Because now Claire (And Gretechen for that matter) know that there actually was somebody working behind the scenes (so to speak).

It would have been easier to bring Calire in if everyone else had thought she was just a paranoid nut case. But now there are witnesses...

Yeah, that's true. I just have this feeling like the college/sorority story arc is over - and the Gretchen/Claire saga has ended. If those two valley-girls from Hell Week (we're supposed to believe they are shallow and "typical" from their OMG, OMG, OMG stuff, right?) are the chatter-boxes that we presume they are, it would be no surprise that Claire and Invisible Girl will be outed before the sun comes up on a new day. Meaning the secrets will be revealed.

Without killing Gretchen, it would appear that Claire will have to hit the trails in search of a normal life once again, leaving her behind. But, will she turn to the Freak Show? She's looking for a place to call home and a place where she can be "normal." She'd fit right in with the Travelling Circus, BUT - that doesn't quite fit her character - not yet.
Rogers
Stunt Double

Postby SmokeyD on Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:40 pm

Rogers wrote:Without killing Gretchen, it would appear that Claire will have to hit the trails in search of a normal life once again, leaving her behind. But, will she turn to the Freak Show? She's looking for a place to call home and a place where she can be "normal." She'd fit right in with the Travelling Circus, BUT - that doesn't quite fit her character - not yet.

All true, Claire obviously wants a 'normal' life (Whatever that is?!?!), And it would take a lot more than what didn't happen to push her into holding the switch on a 'Tilt-a-Whirl'...

While the Invisible Girl may try to out Claire for her power, she may also try to 'out' her in the more traditional sense as well. I guess I find myself asking myself "Self, which would Claire be more uncomfortable with... Being outed for her power, or being outed as a lesibian/bisexual?"

I am thinking the later, because Invisible Girl would probably stay away from revealing Claire's power only to prevent her own power from coming to light, as opposed to Claire/Gretchen's relationship. While more college campuses would not really think of it as badly today as say twenty years ago, it would still be far away from the 'normal' that Claire wants....
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby stifenhowk on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:44 am

Hello friends,

This season is sounding fun. the titles are light yet i hear this will be the darkest season. got to love the are you there god and monster movie and great pumpkin titles. those are just great and make you feel good inside then you watch the episodes its like blood and guts and violence. like supernatural christmas. i love Kripkes sick sense of humor lol.
little promo i made. bad but here it is lol.

Thank you!!
stifenhowk
Viewer

Previous

Return to Heroes Discussion [No spoilers!]