[Official] Heroes Ep. 4.16 Discussion

General discussion for 'Heroes'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

[Official] Heroes Ep. 4.16 Discussion

Postby PandaVamp on Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:35 pm

"Pass/Fail"

9:00PM

Discuss the latest Heroes episode here.

THE VERDICT OF AN UNEXPECTED TRIAL COULD MEAN THE END OF HIRO - GEORGE TAKEI, TAMLYN TOMITA, MADELINE ZIMA, DAWN OLIVIERI AND DAVID ANDERS GUEST STAR

Hiro's (Masi Oka) life hangs in the balance as his brain tumor worsens, prompting him to subconsciously deal with some of his past decisions. Meanwhile, Sylar (Zachary Quinto) pays Claire (Hayden Panettiere) an unexpected visit to get answers as to why he isn't quite himself. Elsewhere, Samuel's (Robert Knepper) plan to impress his long-lost love, Vanessa (guest star Kate Vernon), takes a terrifying turn. Jack Coleman, James Kyson Lee and Sendhil Ramamurthy) also star. Lisa Lackey, Danielle Savre, Sally Champlin, Satomi Okuno and Jordan Dang also guest stars.

- Promotional Photos
- Promo

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: [Official] Heroes Ep. 4.16 Discussion

Postby Rogers on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:48 am

I was playing around on my laptop while this episode was on (and missed most of the Hiro trial as a consequence) but ... it led me to thinking:

this show is undoubtedly expensive to produce, and it sounds like NBC is likely to ghost the show by the end of the season. Would you listen to it if it were on the radio? they basically go from monologue to monologue with rare moments of special effects anyhow (which can be easily simulated with the fine sound effects).

Or a podcast? would you listen to that? there were plenty of quality radio shows back in the day - fantastic stuff. I think this show could possibly translate.

for the entire season I've been trying to put into words what I thought of the writing so far, and it wasn't until recently that it came to me: in writing stories, the important thing to do is show, not tell. so, if your character is sad, you show they are sad, rather than have them say, "I am sad." Heroes, on the other hand, basically has each character sit down with another character and enter into a lengthy dialogue about how they feel and what they think about themselves or each other (this episode is a perfect example). I don't want to say it's bad writing (because the characters are complex and have compelling motivations) but it's disappointing that the writers, actors and directors rely so heavily on saying what the problems are rather than showing what they are.

hence - this could be put on the radio very well, considering they wouldn't have to show anything. Plus, this show has a pretty strong following, it might be able to carry some viewers to another source. Not many networks are in the business of podcasting for profit (probably for a good reason: no profits to be had) but it'd be neat for someone to try (likely not NBC, though).
Rogers
Stunt Double

Postby Spleen on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:17 am

No, I wouldn't listen to it if it was a radio show. If they do continue Hiro's after the TV show, they should stick to the comic kinda thing they've done in the past, not that i've read any of them, but radio is definitely not the right medium for this show.

Radio is a thing of the past, or what you listen to if your stuck in the car without any decent CD's etc.

The whole Hiro trial was pretty cool, and Adam was awesome, he's definitely one of the better characters that's no longer in the show, so was great to have him back.

BUT! This whole Hiro's got a brain tumour has been going on for far too long now, and now he got healed in his coma-dream, but like, is he actually healed for real because his mum healed him in his dream, which would utterly suck, cos it makes no sense. Or, does he still have this brain tumour, but he escaped death this time and it's still there, which would also suck cos it's getting annoying now.

Claire didn't annoy me as much this episode, I think she's better when she ain't with her dad, and he's better when he ain't with her, so that's good. She still wasn't amazing tho, I care much more about Sylar working out his problems than her working out hers. I hope Sylar killers Matt now.

Samuel was also pretty good, I don't like his g/f much, but I like that now we can see why he's gonna become the ultimate villain for this season etc, him destroying that town was pretty cool too. He's been an excellent character so far (dodgy accent aside), and I like the way he's being build up and more layers are being added so we know why he's the villain. He's definitely the saving grace of this season.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Spleen
Supporting Actor

Postby SmokeyD on Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

Spleen wrote:BUT! This whole Hiro's got a brain tumour has been going on for far too long now, and now he got healed in his coma-dream, but like, is he actually healed for real because his mum healed him in his dream, which would utterly suck, cos it makes no sense. Or, does he still have this brain tumour, but he escaped death this time and it's still there, which would also suck cos it's getting annoying now.

Agreed, this horse is dead already, here's to hoping that TPTB stop beating it...

Although, the irony of the 'Restaurant Trial' is that although TPTB called themsleves out on the Quantum Leap reference, they completely ignored the fact that they ripped the whole idea of a 'Restaurant Trial' off of Wharehouse 13 in the first place.

And, IMHO, I think that Sylar may actually be looking for Matt for 'help' of some sort, and not neccesarily 'just' to kill him. While he may still kill him, or at least threaten his family, I think that Sylar wants something from Matt. Maybe stealing his power, or help with the advice that Claire gave him... :hmm:
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby Spleen on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:02 pm

I hope he just kills him in the first 30 seconds of the next episode and thats Matt done with for good lol. Doubt it though.

Matt annoys me even more than Claire, she just gets more screen time and more oppotunities to annoy. Real shame cos he has a really cool power aswell.
To see a world in a grain of sand,
And a heaven in a wild flower,
Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
And eternity in an hour.
Spleen
Supporting Actor

Postby SmokeyD on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:35 pm

Spleen wrote:I hope he just kills him in the first 30 seconds of the next episode and thats Matt done with for good lol. Doubt it though.

Matt annoys me even more than Claire, she just gets more screen time and more oppotunities to annoy. Real shame cos he has a really cool power aswell.

Agreed, Matt's whining and moping is really annoying. The thing that kills me is that he probably has the best ability ever.
SmokeyD
Show Expert

Postby C.A.B1992 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:37 am

Wow! what an amazing episode. Really enjoyed the scenes with Samuel and Vanessa, Robert Knepper and Kate Vernon have amazing chemistry. You could really the love that was between them. I have to admit i felt bad when she blew him off, you could see that glimmer and charm just fade away from him. Then at the resteraunt when Samuel loses it was just, no pun intended, earth-shattering; all the darkness just exploded out of him. Now the Sylar/Claire scenes were interesting and surprising. I really seems Sylar is trying to find redemption by attempting to connect with one person he shares simlarites with. Nice twist having Sylar shape-shift into Gretchen. And the Sylar managed to do some good by helping Claire connect with Gretchen. Finally Hiro's Coma Trial. First off it nice seeing Adam back makes pefect sense to have him as the prosecutor> This trial really served as Hiro's turning point
and hopefully he will become he was destined to be( really glad the tumor thing is over) Now one question still remains: What is Samuels master plan? Before it was building an oasis for his love and his people, now after his town sinking episode his plan has certainly changed.
ImageImage

C.A.B1992
Show Expert

Postby Leroi22 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:51 am

Loved it! An absolutely beautiful episode from beginning to end!! :thumbsup:
Leroi22
Supporting Actor

Return to Heroes Discussion [No spoilers!]