New J.J. Abrams Book Project

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

New J.J. Abrams Book Project

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 pm

Just days after the renewal of "Fringe," J.J. Abrams may be close to more good news: the creative force met with publishers in New York last week to talk about a book project, two people familiar with the discussions told TheWrap.

Also read: 'Fringe' Renewed

There's no word on what the book or books would entail, but Abrams would work with another writer on the project, according to one of the people with knowledge of the talks. An announcement about the project could come this week.

A rep for the notoriously secretive Abrams declined to reveal any details about the project. Abrams' other writing for print includes "Star Trek" comics pegged to his relaunch of the movie franchise and a series of books inspired by his TV show, "Alias."
http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/jj-abrams-meets-publishers-about-new-book-project-25889

Wonder what is going to be?????????????

Yet for all their evolution, they form no bonds.
Love does not exist for them. They are incapable of dreaming,
Of contemplating beauty, Of knowing something greater than themselves.
DarthLocke
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: New J.J. Abrams Book Project

Postby DarkUFO on Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:18 pm

Oh, interesting thanks :)
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby DarthLocke on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:44 am

DarkUFO wrote:Oh, interesting thanks :)

Sure!!! Once I come across more, or rather more information is released, I will update the thread. :D

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Joshua on Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:49 pm

Very cool. Be interesting to see what it is
Joshua
Forum Moderator

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:38 pm

Nothing new yet, but I was thinking about what it could be...

I have been careful not to write anything spoilerish here about any specifics about the new shows!

Although I would love a LOST series of sorts, I am would actually be surprised if this was the case.

I was thinking about his books he co-wrote with other writers with Alias...Persons of Interest seems like the closest thing to something Alias like. My first guess would be something that ties in with that since it sounds like it's going to be an action series...

Second, J.J. Abrams pitched 'Odd Jobs' to NBC, but it appears that has been snuffed for the time being, probably because Undercovers didn't go so well considering Abrams announced format changes and then NBC turns around 2 days later and announces the cancellation. So now NBC says the script was submitted "too late", and both Emerson and O'Quinn have moved onto other things...

Then there was talk of yet another series that was being pitched to networks as "pulp". So far no network has accepted that pitch...so maybe this new book, or book series will take Pulp combined with Odd jobs and put them on mass paper production, rather than deal with the network, working backwards so to speak...so that down the line after popularity of the book(s), a network would want to adapt it to screen...of course IMO I think in a way, POI sounds like it does just that... :hmm:

Other ideas:

There could be A "Super 8" or "Star Trek" tie in or book adaptations, since more info of Super 8 has surfaced through the trailers and exclusive Paramount sneak peeks...and Star Trek's sequel has been talked about lately as Pegg and Pine claim the script is done. (although Star Trek already has "star fleet academy" series started)

Mild Spoilers about possible works coming into production in the next couple of years...

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
A while back Abrams bought the rights to Boilerplate, but I would think this was because a film adaptation will be in the works.

Similarly, "Samurai Jack" was also said back in 2009 to be picked up for the big screen by Bad Robot Productions, but like with Biolerplate, I think a book or book series would be something to do after or right before the film would be released.

And then there is also Alcatraz...

Or maybe it's something completely different!!

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:21 pm

Some More Information:

J. J. Abrams Creates New Novel for Little, Brown
By DAVE ITZKOFF

J. J. Abrams is not a big fan of disclosing the plot details of new films he’s directing (see “Super 8″) or producing (“Cloverfield”) before they’ve been released, so don’t expect any spoilers – or even a title – for a new novel on which he’ll be collaborating. The publisher Little, Brown said on Wednesday that it had acquired a book that Mr. Abrams, the director of “Star Trek” and a creator of the television series “Lost,” “Alias” and “Felicity,” had conceived and will be written by Doug Dorst, the author of the supernatural crime novel “Alive in Necropolis.” A news release from the publisher happily touted Mr. Abrams’s film and television credits, and mentioned that Mr. Dorst is a graduate of the Iowa Writers’ Workshop and a three-time “Jeopardy!” champion. And Mr. Abrams said in a statement that “Doug is a genius,” adding that he “could not be more excited to collaborate with him on this completely original project.” But just what that project is, neither Mr. Abrams nor Little, Brown is indicating, except to say that it is planned for a fall 2012 release on the Mulholland Books imprint. Watch for further clues as soon as we know where.
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/06/j-j-abrams-creates-new-novel-for-little-brown/

I also went to Amazon for book reviewa to get information about Dorst's "Alive in Necropolis". I will put it in spoiler tags incase someone wants to read it with out being spoiled:

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Mix one part gritty police procedural with one part ghost story, add a splash of teen angst and a hefty dose of black humor, and you have Doug Dorst's brilliant debut novel--a delicious blend of Paul Auster, Kevin Brockmeier, and Joss Whedon. In Colma, California, where the dead outnumber the living, a rookie cop who saves the life of a troubled teenager is either the savior of the city, or a man on the brink of losing his mind. Alive in Necropolis is brimming with fascinating characters (both the living and the dead), none more so than the young cop trying to get a handle on his place in the world. Dorst defies conventional storytelling--at once grim and playful (his two epigraphs quote Joseph Conrad's Lord Jim and Hanson's "MmmBop"), he weaves the supernatural seamlessly into this "straight" story and the result is effortlessly imaginative, funny, and poignant. Fans of Auster, Jonathan Carroll, and Haruki Murakami will want to make room on their nightstand for their next new favorite. --Daphne Durham

--This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Review
"A daring and big-hearted first novel...Like Dashiell Hammett, Dorst conveys a hard-bitten love of the physical San Francisco."
-New York Times Book Review

"In the same way Buffy the Vampire Slayer mixed high school and bloodsuckers, Doug Dorst combines cops and ghosts in his Alive in Necropolis. The result is a haunted variation on Ed McBain's 87th Precinct series...Imaginative and accomplished... Pitch-perfect."
-USA Today

"Rich, unsettling...truly haunting."
-San Francisco Chronicle "An intriguing mix of coming-of-age story, police procedural, and magical realism."
-Seattle-Times

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby DarthLocke on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:50 pm

A Little Bit More Info on Release and Publishing Company:
Canongate reveals release date for J J Abrams novel
18.04.11 | Graeme Neill
Canongate will publish a book co-created by JJ Abrams, the man behind "Lost" and "Star Trek", next year after a deal was signed during London Book Fair.
The publisher bought UK and Commonwealth rights, excluding Canada, to the untitled novel from Cathryn Summerhayes at WME. US rights were bought by Michael Pietsch, excecutive vice-president and publisher of Little, Brown. The editors will be John Schoenfelder from Mulholland Books in the US and Canongate's Francis Bickmore in the UK. The book is based on an idea of Abrams' but it will be written by the PEN/Hemingway-shortlisted author Doug Dorst.
The publisher did not give any details about the content of the book but said it will be released next year. Jamie Byng, Canongate m.d., said: "This book looks set to be one of the most ground-breaking, bold and innovative pieces of storytelling ever. The prospect of working with the creative brilliance of J J Abrams coupled with a novelist as talented as Doug Dorst makes this a hugely exciting and important acquisition for Canongate.
"And its publication is going to be a major, international event."
Abrams said: "Jamie Byng is a bold and brilliant publisher, who understands and embraces both the potential and the specific challenges of this project. With Doug Dorst writing and Canongate publishing in the UK, this is a most exciting collaboration." http://www.thebookseller.com/news/canon ... novel.html

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Notice on Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:46 am

S.! What an amazing book and idea that is! I absolutely loved it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It doesn't matter who we were... It only matters who we are.

Life sucks, and then you die. And then it still sucks.
Notice
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:31 am

Notice wrote:S.! What an amazing book and idea that is! I absolutely loved it :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool! I loved it too!!! I always love the scenes where they are in the caves and when S. is in the winter-place! Such a fun (and kind of pain-staking for S.) meta-book! :thumbup:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Notice on Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:58 pm

Laura, have I ever told you that you are an awesome person with an excellent taste in TV shows and books? :wub:
And yes I totally stalked your name there

Notice
Star Billing

Postby DarthLocke on Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:49 pm

Notice wrote:Laura, have I ever told you that you are an awesome person with an excellent taste in TV shows and books? :wub:
And yes I totally stalked your name there

Hahaha! Yes. You stalked my boring name! LOL! :rofl:

Thank you though for the kind words! I'm glad some of us could get back in touch again! It's been nice rehashing and catching up and recommending things! Also sorry you were having a bad day, the other day! Hope you're feeling a bit better now! The past couple of years have been a bit frustrating for me in my personal life. I think if it wouldn't be for being able to watch and share a love of media, I'd go nuts LOL! :w00t:

DarthLocke
Show Expert

Postby Notice on Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:53 pm

DarthLocke wrote:You stalked my boring name! LOL! :rofl:

What are you talking about, your name is AWESOME. I know a little Laura, she's so cute :D

Yes, I'm also glad we're back here, I hope more people will follow. :) And thanks! :)

Notice
Star Billing

Return to Books & Comics