Best A Song of Ice and Fire book?

A section for modern day Shakespeares and casual readers alike.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Best Song of Ice and Fire book?

Book 1 (A Game of Thrones)
25%
25%
25%
25%
Book 2 (A Clash of Kings)
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Book 3 (A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow)
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Book 3 (A Storm of Swords: Blood and Gold)
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
Book 4 (A Feast of Crows)
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes

Total votes : 4

Best A Song of Ice and Fire book?

Postby sjorsman on Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Now that there is a tv series, I was wondering how many people actually read the books.
Also in spirit of book 5 next month, I was wondering which book you guys think is best?

Give your comment, and reason (not to much spoilers), because there are a lot of people out there who haven't read the books. And maybe your comment will tempt them to start reading!:D
sjorsman
Show Expert

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Best A Song of Ice and Fire book?

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:04 pm

I say, Game of Thrones. A Storm of Swords a close second, A Clash of Kings third, and A Feast For Crows not even in the list (but if we have to... fourth).
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:08 pm

For me its

A Storm of Swords > A Clash of Kings > A Game of Thrones > A Feast for Crows

I didn't think A Feast for Crows was that bad, but its definitely the weakest. It just wasn't the same as the first three. :bored:

I already pre-ordered A Dance with Dragons, can't **** wait for it :thumbsup:
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:24 pm

About what you said on the Tower of Joy...yeah, I hoped to see that on the show too. They shot some stuff of Aerys with Brandon and Rickard Stark, perhaps they decided to keep that.

Perhaps they are keeping the Tower of Joy scene for later, and as a way for Sean Bean to return briefly.
"There's something you better understand about me because it's important. And one day your life may depend on it...I am definitely a mad man with a box."

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm

People that haven't read the books yet (not sure why you are in here!!) dont read anything below, instead go get the books RIGHT NOW and read them :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Dreyesbo wrote:About what you said on the Tower of Joy...yeah, I hoped to see that on the show too. They shot some stuff of Aerys with Brandon and Rickard Stark, perhaps they decided to keep that.

Perhaps they are keeping the Tower of Joy scene for later, and as a way for Sean Bean to return briefly.

Yeah, possibly... but when could they show the Tower of Joy now? :S Eddards dead and Howland Reed hasn't been in the series yet... its a very important part for those (like me) who believe
Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
that Jon is Rhaegar and Lyannas son...
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 am

Answering to bigs, spoilers if you haven't read until Book 4:

I seriously don't know...perhaps until they finally reveal Jon's parentage? I do believe what you do as well.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Dreyesbo wrote:Answering to bigs, spoilers if you haven't read until Book 4:

I seriously don't know...perhaps until they finally reveal Jon's parentage? I do believe what you do as well.

yeah, heres to hoping they will finally bring Howland Reed into the series in book 5, he can clear all this nonsense up :thumbup:

I really hope we dont have to wait another 5-6 years for book 6, I'm not sure how much longer GRRM can last :P

Season 2 filming starts soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the casting for Stannis, Melisandre, Brienne, and one of my most favoritest characters ever Jaqen :wub: The casting so far has been superb. I thought the casting for Catelyn was pretty bad during the first half of the season, but she is definitely getting better (even though her character in the novels made me :cursing: on multiple occasions)
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Dreyesbo on Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:55 am

Gus TT Showbiz wrote:
yeah, heres to hoping they will finally bring Howland Reed into the series in book 5, he can clear all this nonsense up :thumbup:

I really hope we dont have to wait another 5-6 years for book 6, I'm not sure how much longer GRRM can last :P

Season 2 filming starts soon :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the casting for Stannis, Melisandre, Brienne, and one of my most favoritest characters ever Jaqen :wub: The casting so far has been superb. I thought the casting for Catelyn was pretty bad during the first half of the season, but she is definitely getting better (even though her character in the novels made me :cursing: on multiple occasions)

Yeah, can't wait to see the cast for S2, hopefully without Sean Bean and Mark Addy they have enough money to buy other big names :P and Jaqen is indeed badass, can't wait to see who they cast.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:33 am

Finished a Dance, I was sick for a couple days, although yesterday I probably read about 500 pages in one sitting lmao... Pretty damn good book if you ask me, (no spoilers in regard to characters or specific plot points)
albeit a set up book for 6/7 in pretty much every possible way, similar to the 4th in that regard.

I'd probably rank it right near the first book, so my new rankings would go

3 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 4. :thumbup:

Can't wait til 2020 for book 6 :PP

I was really bored and found myself thinking heavily about the book, so here are some of my random thoughts on Dance.

Superduper Major spoilers abound.

My favorite characters were the following:

Theon - Wow, Ramsay Bolton... Wow. Here I was thinking Joffrey and the Mountain were cruel and evil characters, they seem like puppies compared to Ramsay :PP . Loved the subtle hints to Theon losing "little Theon". I didn't think it was possible for me to feel bad for him after Clash, but damn do I. The parts with Mance and his spearwives were so awesome! I loved his name, Abel, a play on Bael the Bard, who did the same thing he did. Probably my favorite chapters in the book.

Davos - Davos is incredible. Manderly is awesome too (serving delicious, delicious Frey pies to the Boltons? I approve). We finally learn where Rickon has been hiding on this long time... chillin with the cannibals over on Skagos :O . I would have never guessed a Davos/Rickon storyline, but here it is.

Jon Snow - Wildings followed by more wildings with more wildlings. That kinda got boring, but most of it was definitely necessary. And then... the cold. Wooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Jon Snow the boy has been killed. Not sure how this is going to play out, but I don't think he's dead as in Ned dead, but I think the Jon we've grown to know is. Is he going to be reborn as Azor Ahai? The prophecy seems to fit for the most part. He might slip into Ghost (as I think that was the whole point of the Prologue) and then Melisandre will do some crazy red magic? Dunno. I think the wildlings look up to Jon now, perhaps they won't take kindly to him being betrayed and there's gonna be a war on the wall.

So basically, anything in the North = awesome. The south... not so much.

The worst characters had to be Dany and Tyrion.

Tyrion - I still can't believe how boring my favorite character from the other books chapters were. They really just seemed pointless. A bit of character development I guess even though every other line was asking where whores go or something about a crossbow. I just could not get into his chapters. Most disappointing character for me, so sad. :(

Dany - Meereen. No thanks. The parts with Hizdarh and Naario and Haazroo and Hazraq and Shizrak and Loraq and Biznak and Shaario zo Haario and all those were just sooooo boooorinnngg. Only really interesting that happened is when she rode Drogon and her last chapter. I wasn't that big of a Dany fan anyways, especially after she sent away Ser Jorah, so this isn't really surprising for me.

Not enough Arya or Bran. I think the Bran chapters end on like page 400? Wtf is up with that, they were just starting to get interesting. The last Arya chapter when she kills the insurance guy was amazing. I had to read back a bit to see what she did and damn was it clever.

Quentyn and Asha chapters were pretty meh. Cersei with Frankengregor and her naked walk was pretty good though.

Only one Jaime chapter boo. So Brienne is alive, no surprise there, but it looks like she's bringing Jaime to Catelyn? I hope this isn't the end of Jaime and considering how Catelyn seems to be pretty ruthless now, I don't see how he's gonna get out of it. Maybe Brienne will save him?

The Aegon reveal was crazy. I did not see that coming at all. But it feels kinda unnecessary. It puts a huge dent in Dany's claim for Westeros (although it doesn't look like she'll ever get there anyways). I wasn't sure he was actually Aegon until the Epilogue, Varys had no reason to lie. But with Danys vision of a Mummers Dragon, it seems like he's a fake dragon like Viserys was. Anybody else get the feeling that Jon Connington had a "thing" for Rhaegar?

Speaking of which... I could have sworn early reviews said we would be getting the Jons parentage answer in this book... and unless I totally missed it, there was no such reveal. I think this is the first time is explicitly said Rhaegar loves Lyanna? Even though it was incredibly easy to figure out in previous books... I still hold firm to R + L = J. Although my main concern is its getting too obvious that thats the case and GRRM won't like that and decide to throw a curve ball.

No idea how he's gonna finish it with only two more books. I do know he's said that seven books isn't exactly written in stone, and eight wouldn't be out of the question, but damn GRRM you aren't exactly young and fit...
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby Dreyesbo on Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:44 pm

Just finished it, gonna edit later to answer to you bigs :D

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby brentoid on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:00 pm

finished a storm of swords last night...phew...what a book...

gonna have to wait until my mate finishes a feast for crows now... :cursing:

so so many things i cant wait to see in the show !!!
You owe the companies nothing. Less than nothing, you especially don't
owe them any courtesy. They owe you. They have re-arranged the world to
put themselves in front of you. They never asked for your permission,
don't even start asking for theirs.
brentoid
Show Expert

Postby Dreyesbo on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:13 pm

brentoid wrote:finished a storm of swords last night...phew...what a book...

gonna have to wait until my mate finishes a feast for crows now... :cursing:

so so many things i cant wait to see in the show !!!

Oh, yeah, that book...seriously. It's going to be great to watch it unfold on TV.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Postby Dreyesbo on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:26 am

Gus TT Showbiz wrote:Finished a Dance, I was sick for a couple days, although yesterday I probably read about 500 pages in one sitting lmao... Pretty damn good book if you ask me, (no spoilers in regard to characters or specific plot points)
albeit a set up book for 6/7 in pretty much every possible way, similar to the 4th in that regard.

I'd probably rank it right near the first book, so my new rankings would go

3 > 2 > 1 > 5 > 4. :thumbup:

I agree, it was pretty good. My own rankings are these, but of course, being the lowest is still better than many other books out there:

3 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 4

My favorite characters were the following:

Theon - Wow, Ramsay Bolton... Wow. Here I was thinking Joffrey and the Mountain were cruel and evil characters, they seem like puppies compared to Ramsay :PP . Loved the subtle hints to Theon losing "little Theon". I didn't think it was possible for me to feel bad for him after Clash, but damn do I. The parts with Mance and his spearwives were so awesome! I loved his name, Abel, a play on Bael the Bard, who did the same thing he did. Probably my favorite chapters in the book.

Davos - Davos is incredible. Manderly is awesome too (serving delicious, delicious Frey pies to the Boltons? I approve). We finally learn where Rickon has been hiding on this long time... chillin with the cannibals over on Skagos :O . I would have never guessed a Davos/Rickon storyline, but here it is.

Jon Snow - Wildings followed by more wildings with more wildlings. That kinda got boring, but most of it was definitely necessary. And then... the cold. Wooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww. Jon Snow the boy has been killed. Not sure how this is going to play out, but I don't think he's dead as in Ned dead, but I think the Jon we've grown to know is. Is he going to be reborn as Azor Ahai? The prophecy seems to fit for the most part. He might slip into Ghost (as I think that was the whole point of the Prologue) and then Melisandre will do some crazy red magic? Dunno. I think the wildlings look up to Jon now, perhaps they won't take kindly to him being betrayed and there's gonna be a war on the wall.

So basically, anything in the North = awesome. The south... not so much.

Agree, the North was pretty much awesome. "The North remembers". Can't wait to see it in its proper hands. I also pitied Theon, and rooted for his escape. I loved that he actually pulled it off, and stopped being Reek. Watching his transformation, partly through the chapter titles as well, was awesome. I think the Boltons are getting hungry too, can't you help them Manderly? :D (That was awesome).

Davos' storyline was just okay, but I'm happy he's the one sent for Rickon, as he'll try to do the right think. But I shudder to think how wild Rickon will be now, especially after living in Skagos.

Jon...I think he's alive. Not sure how he being in Ghost, or being Coldhands-like, would work out. Perhaps, just like Victarion, he'll be healed with burns? But if he's dead (and brought alive later), he's out of his oath. His time as commander of the watch is done, and I think that getting thousands of potential wights south of the Wall is what he'll be remembered by.

Love how the "bloody star" prophecy was fulfilled. And if he's reborn, is it further confirmation he'll be Azor Ahai? The burning wounds, the salt in Bowen Marsh's tears...

When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt.

And finally, Ramsay is speaking bull. I don't think he has defeated Stannis (who by luck has been delivered Jeyne and Theon -- awesome!). We have to wait and see which treason comes first, and which one has the most impact -- Manderly with the Boltons, or Karstark with Stannis.

The worst characters had to be Dany and Tyrion.

Tyrion - I still can't believe how boring my favorite character from the other books chapters were. They really just seemed pointless. A bit of character development I guess even though every other line was asking where whores go or something about a crossbow. I just could not get into his chapters. Most disappointing character for me, so sad. :(

Dany - Meereen. No thanks. The parts with Hizdarh and Naario and Haazroo and Hazraq and Shizrak and Loraq and Biznak and Shaario zo Haario and all those were just sooooo boooorinnngg. Only really interesting that happened is when she rode Drogon and her last chapter. I wasn't that big of a Dany fan anyways, especially after she sent away Ser Jorah, so this isn't really surprising for me.

I started to dislike Dany's storyline since the second book. The Red Waste was boring, and every stop in the way the names of everyone and every place where weirder each time. It wouldn't matter if those people and places actually mattered. And most didn't. Didn't like her decision to stay, and I didn't like how she treated her dragons. She actually hurt their growth!

The only thing interesting to me right now, is Mirri Maz Duur's prophecy:

"When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east," said Mirri Maz Duur. "When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before."

Seas go dry could be the Dothraki Sea. Mountains blown...I don't know, dragons? And Dany's bleeding can be related to pregnancy, I suppose. The biggest clue, could be, Dorne rising in the west (against the Iron Throne) while Quentyn (the Son's sun) died in the east.

If anything, I just want this to happen for the awesome Khal Drogo to return :D

And Tyrion, ugh. He, as a character, was what brought me through these chapters. You paired him with Dany, which makes sense because every storyline in the East was slooooooow. And uninteresting, because once the players are back in Westeros, I think the east will be forgotten. Only their armies in the Westeros shores will matter.

Not enough Arya or Bran. I think the Bran chapters end on like page 400? Wtf is up with that, they were just starting to get interesting. The last Arya chapter when she kills the insurance guy was amazing. I had to read back a bit to see what she did and damn was it clever.

Quentyn and Asha chapters were pretty meh. Cersei with Frankengregor and her naked walk was pretty good though.

Only one Jaime chapter boo. So Brienne is alive, no surprise there, but it looks like she's bringing Jaime to Catelyn? I hope this isn't the end of Jaime and considering how Catelyn seems to be pretty ruthless now, I don't see how he's gonna get out of it. Maybe Brienne will save him?

The Aegon reveal was crazy. I did not see that coming at all. But it feels kinda unnecessary. It puts a huge dent in Dany's claim for Westeros (although it doesn't look like she'll ever get there anyways). I wasn't sure he was actually Aegon until the Epilogue, Varys had no reason to lie. But with Danys vision of a Mummers Dragon, it seems like he's a fake dragon like Viserys was. Anybody else get the feeling that Jon Connington had a "thing" for Rhaegar?

Speaking of which... I could have sworn early reviews said we would be getting the Jons parentage answer in this book... and unless I totally missed it, there was no such reveal. I think this is the first time is explicitly said Rhaegar loves Lyanna? Even though it was incredibly easy to figure out in previous books... I still hold firm to R + L = J. Although my main concern is its getting too obvious that thats the case and GRRM won't like that and decide to throw a curve ball.

I didn't expect much from Arya, given that we had her in AFFC. I agree that Bran's chapters were too few, but they served their purpose. I got chills when he reached for Ned and he turned around. And now I wonder about every event that happened near a weirwood, and if Bran's watching.
Although, as much as I like his powers, I don't like him staying in that cave forever and ever like the three-eyed-crow. Hope he'll be a better weapon against the Others, and that the Children of the Forest don't have a hidden agenda.

Cersei, she's a sleeping snake right now. It's kind of funny that her mess was allowed, not because she was the queen, but because it served Varys' purpose. She's a pawn that believes herself a queen, and that can't be good. Seeing confirmation of FrankenGregor was indeed awesome though :PP

Jamie has to live, but again, I don't know how. I also want to see more about UnCatelyn, to see if she's really her, or just a manifestation of a God or something.

Aegon, I believe he's a fake too, with the mummer's dragon thing. He's been bred to believe he's a prince, and prepared by Varys and Illyrio...he's the "perfect" king in a way, and has an army. I don't see how he'll be unmasked, but I see him dying horrifically trying to take Storm's End. That castle has never fallen, and I don't think it will. (On the other hand, the mummer's dragon could mean just that he's from Varys, even if he's a real dragon).

And yeah, I took Barristan's acount of the R + L love as truth. But the mentions of Ashara Dayne make me believe that *that* theory is still alive

No idea how he's gonna finish it with only two more books. I do know he's said that seven books isn't exactly written in stone, and eight wouldn't be out of the question, but damn GRRM you aren't exactly young and fit...

Hum...I agree, sadly. I hoped there was more movement in the Eastern storylines, and because there wasn't any, I don't think how it'll go back to Westeros. I hope he does it that way, though. But at least the epilogue did leave us with some movement...

Winter is here.

Dreyesbo
Senior Moderator

Return to Books & Comics