Episode 5.11 - Wish You Were Here - Spoiler Discussion

Spoiler discussion for 'Grey's Anatomy'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Episode 5.11 - Wish You Were Here - Spoiler Discussion

Postby Taylijane on Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi, Everyone. I am new to this forum but love discussing and speculating about GA. Episode 5.11 - Wish you were Here looks like an interesting episode.
The summary says:
Bailey teams with Seattle Grace's new pediatric surgeon, Dr. Arizona Robbins, to save the life of a young patient near and dear to her heart, as the admittance of a death row inmate at the hospital stirs anger in Derek and further erodes Meredith and Cristina's friendship; meanwhile, Callie and Sloan work as a team to fight their respective attractions to Sadie and Lexie, and Izzie tells Alex that she's seeing Denny.

Fromo the promo - my guess is that Meredith will have the most compassion for the prisoner on death row (PDR). Cristina will be very black and white - "he is going to die anyway so why should we bother with the expense of saving him". It would appear that Derek is not too happy about looking after him and is behaving, I think, out of character by, what appears in the promo, not wanting to give him pain relief and seems to be sideing with Cristina about treatment.

It is an interesting ethical dilemma isn't it?

And I am looking forward to seeing Mark fight his attraction to Lexie. :thumbsup: I think Mark may have met his "Waterloo" with Little Grey and he has fallen hard or is falling hard for the first time in his life. :)

What do you all think?

If you do not want to know what happens in this episode, read no further:

Tonight, Meredith and Cristina continue their feud and get a glimpse of creepy, redheaded evil! Izzie tries to come clean to Alex, but instead gets dirty with him! Sloane and Callie try to resist the forbidden fruit of interns! Annnd... Alex is totally becoming a pediatric surgeon!

Meredith and Cristina are still fighting, but Bailey doesn't care and assigns them both to help Derek and McBadAss on a special assignment from the Chief. When they get to the trauma center, they find out that their special project is a death-row inmate that was beaten and stabbed. Enter the uber-creepy Eric Stoltz.

The doctors don't really know much about Stoltz, other than he's a death-row inmate, but that's enough for Cristina and Derek to be immediately hostile and Derek to refuse morphine even after discovering a toothbrush-shiv in the patient's spine. Meredith, thinking she knows better than anyone, gives the prisoner morphine anyway. When Cristina finally gets the inmate to tell her and Meredith what he did, he turns the creepy - which was at about eight - up to eleven while he describes giving in to his urge to slit a woman's throat and liking it so much that he killed two women the next day and two more the day after that.

Eric Stoltz and Zachary Quinto should have a showdown to see who can be creepier and more nonchalantly evil. Stoltz would probably win, but Quinto would just cut his head open and steal his creepy powers.

That's pretty much the end of Stoltz's involvement for tonight, but the effects of his arrival continue to be seen. Meredith and Cristina not only keep fighting, but seemingly kick it up a notch by seeing who can be more bitchy. Meredith shows how stupid she is (can you tell that I'm not liking her tonight?) by telling people that Cristina took the fight too far, presumably by not picking her for the solo surgery. I won't even get into how wrong Meredith is here other than to say Cristina doesn't make **** personal - Meredith's the one that took that one too far. When Sadie mentions to Meredith that they had a fight like this before and their friendship never really recovered as proof that Meredith needs to try to patch things up with Cristina, "Deth" brushes her off by haughtily saying that she apologized. I hope Cristina stabs her with an icicle, but that's not the only crap she had to put up with. McBadass spends the night alternating between pushing Cristina away and trying to be her buddy. Cristina finally gets **** off, tells him that she just can't handle his hot and cold routine tonight, and tells him to just leave her the hell alone. We later find out from Derek that much of his hostility towards the shivved inmate comes from his father being murdered by two robbers when he was younger. Derek then steps up his occasional coolness by offering to do whatever Cristina would do to make Meredith feel better. Cristina tells him that Cristina would probably crank up the music and "dance it out" with her, which she doubts Derek's up to, but Derek steps up and starts dancing, making Meredith get up and join him.

It's really not very often that Cristina and Derek are my two favorites in an episode, but they were both kinda awesome tonight.

Sloane starts out the evening by regretting sleeping with Lexie. He tells her that he made his best friend one promise and he slipped up, but it can't happen again. Callie's still lusting after Sadie, so they decide to form a support group to keep each-other from slipping up and succumbing to hot intern temptation.

Unfortunately, George makes this more difficult when he pulls all four in to help him with the case of a woman with incredibly frail bones. After some tests, they determine that a benign tumor has been leeching away her calcium, thus making her prone to breaks. She lapses into a funny routine of continuously screaming at the sky as someone to blame for her bad luck. Through her repeated frustrations, it becomes clear that she passed up moving to Denver with the love of her life because there's ice in Colorado and she, as I said, is prone to broken bones. Her surgery is a success and her first question is how soon she can leave so she can move to Denver.

Sloane and Callie continue to try to support eachother's resolve in the bar, but Sloane finally gives in, decides that you only live once, and tells Callie that he's "going to Denver". Callie continues to hold out for now.

Incidentally, I had a very nice explanation for why Mark Sloane is one of my favorite characters of 2008, but it was cut for length. Maybe I'll be able to slip at least the essence of it in before the end of the season.

Bailey and Alex are helping on the case of a boy suffering from serious kidney problems. Bailey's possessed by the exposition fairy and explains to Alex that she and the pediatric surgeon heading up the case have been working with the family for years and it's a very special case. Alex helps the surgeon examine the boy while Bailey talks to his mom. As they're talking to the boy, the head surgeon drops dead from a heart attack.

When Bailey tells the Chief about this, the Chief refuses to talk and locks himself in a room with a "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door. He later reveals that he's afraid for the life of the hospital. He can't find anyone to be the head of Pediatric Surgery, he can't keep a Cardiac Surgeon, and the interns are cutting each-other up. He confesses that he feels like he's failed at his mission of the past however-many years.

A new pediatric surgeon is assigned to pick up the dead doctor's cases and rubs Bailey the wrong way when she suggests that the wrong methods have been used on the boy up until now. Bailey tries to complain to the chief, but he points out that she hasn't liked any of the attendings at first and tells her just to deal with it. Eventually, Bailey realizes that just because the new surgeon is young (she rolls around the room with those stupid sneaker skates and I wanted to stab her!) and new to the case doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's talking about and begins working with her to get a transplant for the boy.

Alex's interactions with the boy make me even more certain that he'll end up as a pediatric surgeon. He refuses to sign the boy's application to "The Wish People" because that would mean the boy is dying. Alex insists that he's just sick and he wouldn't want to go to the rodeo anyway - they smell like horse crap. Eventually, once the boy is put on the transplant list, Alex sits down with him to pick out wishes.

Izzie finally decides to fess up to Alex and tell him what's been going on with Denny. At first, he just thinks she's dreaming about Denny and blows it off. Later, she corners him and tries to stress just how deep this goes, but he still isn't really fazed and... pleasures her in an examining room. Is anyone ever examined in a non-euphamistic sense in these rooms? I still don't think he grasps what's going on with Izzie, but I don't really get it either.

I think this could turn out to be a huge mistake for Shonda Rhimes. Denny was strongest as a sad time and turning point in Izzie's life, but whatever the heck this is just dilutes his impact. I just hope this has some kind of big payoff.

It's Izzie's birthday and Alex bakes her a cake. He warns her that the cake tastes pretty crappy, but the icing's good. Izzie starts to make a wish, but says she has everything she'd wish for. Alex tells her just to wish for nothing to change, ever. She smiles at Alex and Denny and blows out the candle.

Next week, it looks like Stoltz's serial killer will volunteer to donate his kidney and intestine to Bailey and Alex's patient.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/T ... 14526.html
Last edited by Taylijane on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Episode 5.11 - Speculations and Discussion on Spoilers

Postby Grey'sAddict on Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:53 am

I agree the episode looks good so far. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how the Mark/Lexie dynamic plays out. They've got chemistry and Mark seems to really like her. Maybe this'll be a turning point for him.

I wonder what position Hunt's going to take in the whole serial killer situation. He seems to be the wild card right now since we don't know an awful lot about him.
Grey'sAddict
Viewer

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 am

Grey'sAddict wrote:I agree the episode looks good so far. I'm also pretty interested in seeing how the Mark/Lexie dynamic plays out. They've got chemistry and Mark seems to really like her. Maybe this'll be a turning point for him.

I wonder what position Hunt's going to take in the whole serial killer situation. He seems to be the wild card right now since we don't know an awful lot about him.

Hi Grey'sAddict, You make a good point about Hunt and PDR - I think he may be a little like Meredith and be a bit more compassionate - he does not see things as black and white as Cristina does.

And I think you may be right, Lexie may be the turning point for Mark, gone are his Manwhore days! :)
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby greymaters on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:46 am

:D I found you!!!

I am wondering how Lexie's feelings are going to go..But Mark, I think will fall hard and fast for little Grey. It may be fun to see Mark in love :thumbsup:
"It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you." Meredith
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:10 am

greymaters wrote::D I found you!!!

I am wondering how Lexie's feelings are going to go..But Mark, I think will fall hard and fast for little Grey. It may be fun to see Mark in love :thumbsup:

That is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope the others can come as well!

I am the biggest Mark fan. I really think this is going to be the lighter side of Grey's over the next few episodes. With having a really scary criminal and the ethical issues it raises in treating/not treating him, I think it is going to be really heavy going.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby sweetgreuy on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:18 am

This may be a silly question but what happened to Hahn?
sweetgreuy
Viewer

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:42 am

sweetgreuy wrote:This may be a silly question but what happened to Hahn?

Not a silly question at all - Hahn disagreed with the hospital not sacking Izzie after she found out that Izzie had cut the LVAD wire to get Denny a new heart way back at the end of Season 2. Her patient at the time was the one who should have got that heart. Callie sided with the hospital, too, and so Hahn spat the dummy and the last we saw of her was her hopping into her car and driving away.

What happen in real life though - TPTB at the ABC did not like Hahn's character and the lesbian storyline, so they terminated her contract. TPTB thought the Hahn character was unpopular with fans and had to go! :hmm:

The other characters in 5.11 are:
Melinda: Female, All Ethnicities, 30's, she is a working mom. Tired and harried. Recurring Guest Star, 3 Episode Arc.
Margaret: Female, All Ethnicities, 30's, funny, perky & quirky. You instantly like her. Patient in the hospital.
Dr. Douglas Kenley: Male, All Ethnicities, 60's, friendly, nice and warm lovely doctor.
Jackson: Male, All Ethnicities, 8-10 years old, a fearless, happy-go-lucky kid. All American boy. He is a hopeful but not delusional patient in the hospital...Recurring Guest Star, 3 Episode Arc. Source: SpoilerTV

Spoiler (Click to reveal/hide)
Melinda is Jackson's mum, I think and Jackson is the kid who needs a major organ transplant and it the one in Symapthy for the Devil that the PDR wants to give his organs to.

Not sure how Margaret and Dr Kenley fit in to it. Not sure if Kenley is a patient or a doctor. Does anyone know?
Last edited by Iceman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double Post, Please use the edit button.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby greymaters on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:54 am

I don't think anyone knows what happened to Hahn :S She walked out of SGH and she was gone. No explanation was given. I think we are to assume she was unhappy about Callie and Marks friendship and the Chief getting harsh with her.

How do you quote and reply on this forum? Never mind I see it. :blush:
Last edited by Iceman on Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Double Post, Pleas use the edit button in the future.
"It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you." Meredith
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:06 am

greymaters wrote:How do you quote and reply on this forum? Never mind I see it. :blush:

Donna, Hit the quote button in the top right hand corner of the box of the post you want to quote and reply to.
The post comes up in quotes above you in the window of your reply box. :)

Don't you love the choice of smilies!!!!

Thanks DarkUFO if you are reading this! :thumbsup:

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby greymaters on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:12 am

Taylijane wrote:The other characters in 5.11 are:
Melinda: Female, All Ethnicities, 30's, she is a working mom. Tired and harried. Recurring Guest Star, 3 Episode Arc.
Margaret: Female, All Ethnicities, 30's, funny, perky & quirky. You instantly like her. Patient in the hospital.
Dr. Douglas Kenley: Male, All Ethnicities, 60's, friendly, nice and warm lovely doctor.
Jackson: Male, All Ethnicities, 8-10 years old, a fearless, happy-go-lucky kid. All American boy. He is a hopeful but not delusional patient in the hospital...Recurring Guest Star, 3 Episode Arc. Source: SpoilerTV

Melinda is Jackson's mum, I think and Jackson is the kid who needs a major organ transplant and it the one in Symapthy for the Devil that the PDR wants to give his organs to.

Not sure how Margaret and Dr Kenley fit in to it. Not sure if Kenley is a patient or a doctor. Does anyone know?

I think Kenley may be Richard
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:45 am

greymaters wrote:
Taylijane wrote:The other characters in 5.11 are:

I think Kenley may be Richard

Donna, remember, the sides are for casting the character so it can't be Richard - he may be a friend of Richard's. Kenley must be new and only in there for one episode so either he is a doctor who is the doctor of one of the patient's or he is a patient himself. Spoilers somewhere says
a doctor dies
, so he may be a patient. Jackson's doctor is the female who is a friend of Bailey's and
who ends up having the kiss with Callie
in one of the future episodes.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby greymaters on Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:52 am

I am no good at figuring that stuff out... :unsure: You are so good at speculating...
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby hbshopgirl on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:03 am

I'm looking forward to Grey's coming back in Jan. I think Hunt will agree with Meredith on the prisoner situation. I can see that happening. I'm curious to see Izzie tell Alex she sees Denny and how he will react. I wonder how long until she stops seeing him.
hbshopgirl
Stunt Double

Postby Taylijane on Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:32 am

hbshopgirl wrote:I'm looking forward to Grey's coming back in Jan. I think Hunt will agree with Meredith on the prisoner situation. I can see that happening. I'm curious to see Izzie tell Alex she sees Denny and how he will react. I wonder how long until she stops seeing him.

Hi, hbshopgirl. :) Episode 5.13 is called Stairway to Heaven - I am wondering if that may be a hint that Denny can finally rest in peace and will head "upstairs" - one can only hope for good this time ;) .

The question is; will he take Izzie with her brain anurysm with him? (Rumour has it that Kate H would like to get out of her contract and she is not Shonda R's favourite person and she may be unhappy that TRK (George) is going, too.)

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby tinycandi on Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:26 am

greymaters wrote:I don't think anyone knows what happened to Hahn :S She walked out of SGH and she was gone. No explanation was given. I think we are to assume she was unhappy about Callie and Marks friendship and the Chief getting harsh with her.

She was pretty upfront about her opinions on Callie and Mark. When Callie told Hahn that she slept with Mark...she seemed fine about it...because Callie told her. They discussed it and everything was fine at that point.

Hahn was mad because Callie "sided" with Izzie...and right before she left she made the comment that she didn't even known Callie. The whole Izzie/Denny thing **** Hahn off enough as it was...and Callie defending Izzie really pushed Hahn over the edge. I was figuring the writers assumed it wasn't necessary for a step-by-step explanation...that people would be able to put it together based on what happened in the episode. It was subtle...but it was right there. Now...maybe not everyone would be so bothered by something like that to the point that they would leave...but obviously Hahn's character was. And given that she's not a people person and doesn't seem to trust/get close to a lot of people...she really took a hit and thus the "I don't even know you" was a really huge deal to her.
-=-=-=-=-=-
my avatar: by me
Aren't there other ways I could get pregnant, like… sitting on a toilet seat?
House: Absolutely. There would need to be a guy sitting between you and the toilet seat, but yes, absolutely.

house | greys anatomy | smallville | csi miami
tinycandi
Viewer

Next

Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers