What did you think of Epi 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil?

Spoiler discussion for 'Grey's Anatomy'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

What did you think of Epi 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil?

Postby Taylijane on Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:47 am

Please post your thoughts on Episode 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil.

Was it a 5/5 star episode?

Tell us what you think, please.
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: What did you think of Epi 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil?

Postby greymaters on Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:09 am

Taylijane wrote:Please post your thoughts on Episode 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil.

Tayli,

sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! 5/5. Not gonna spoil you !!!!! Watch as soon as you can! It was sqeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Heart pounding, wonderful...

Sadie :thumbsdown: but that is it for bad. No one tell Tayli! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:wub: love ya. so you just need to see it. Trust me.

On second thought :PP McMamma gave her approval to both Derek and Mark on Lexie and Meredith! She even gave Derek the engagement ring his father gave her, for Meredith :D

Mark was all worrie about Lexie's age, when talking to McMama, and she said he had a sex drive of a 15 yr old...Lexie was a good girl, and not tooo young for him. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Izzie said goodbye to Denny :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but now he wants to talk to Alex... :scared:

SK scared the heck out of me, for a moment, I thought Meredith was thinking about taking his handcuffs off... :scared: :scared:
"It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you." Meredith
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:07 am

greymaters wrote:
Taylijane wrote:Please post your thoughts on Episode 5.12 - Sympathy for the Devil.

Tayli,

sqeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! 5/5. Not gonna spoil you !!!!! Watch as soon as you can! It was sqeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Heart pounding, wonderful...

Sadie :thumbsdown: but that is it for bad. No one tell Tayli! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:wub: love ya. so you just need to see it. Trust me.

On second thought :PP McMamma gave her approval to both Derek and Mark on Lexie and Meredith! She even gave Derek the engagement ring his father gave her, for Meredith :D

Mark was all worrie about Lexie's age, when talking to McMama, and she said he had a sex drive of a 15 yr old...Lexie was a good girl, and not tooo young for him. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Izzie said goodbye to Denny :thumbsup: :thumbsup: but now he wants to talk to Alex... :scared:

SK scared the heck out of me, for a moment, I thought Meredith was thinking about taking his handcuffs off... :scared: :scared:

Thanks, Donna. Have just started to download it now. May take ages though. Glad you enjoyed the episode. Dying to hear what everyone else has to say. :D
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby greymaters on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:21 am

I honestly can't wait to hear what you and others thought of it too. I loved McMama, I hope she visits again.
"It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you." Meredith
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby McSunny on Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:59 am

Hello all,

Well I really liked this episode. Same reason as last time and that's more MerDer. Always will make the episode better for me. So, first thoughts.

McMama - loved her. She was great with everyone but I do wish at the end, when Mer was saying she's not all perky and smiley, that McMama would have said something a little warmer.

Mer - poor thing (EP was great) Mer was so nervous and that scene with her clutching the liquor bottle and looking terrified was hilarious. Izzie was so trying to be helpful but that pony tail just made Mer look like Gidget. :lol: The fake smile was so phony! But she was cute. I knew she would have sympathy for the SK (hence the title of this epi). That's one of her best qualities, her compassion.

Der - I love me some **** off Derek! Hot! :censored: I understand why he is having such a hard time with the SK. For Derek life is so precious and the fact that the SK took life is just not something he can get past. I teared up at the last scene at the end with him and McMama. PD was awesome!

Iz/Alex/D. Denny - Well at least there was less of Denny this epi. :thumbup: That makes for a better epi too. Add to that Alex being sweet and caring and it just gets better. At least Iz is starting to see that she really wants a LIVE relationship and things that Denny can't give her. I've been half worried that they would need to operate on Iz and she wouldn't let them because she didn't want to give Denny up. Now maybe she will be ready for that (please, please let it be so) whenever the time comes.

Mark/Lexie - well the stuff with McMama was funny. She was great with him. Mexie still hasn't grown on me but then maybe they will.

Mark/Callie - still the best matchup for Mark, IMO. They just have some chemistry and I don't really see the chemistry with Lexie yet. The Mallie scenes are just really good ones and they are so supportive of each other.

Owen/Christina - Much as I don't want to like them simply because I'm not a Christina fan they do have some good scenes together. The shower scene was very powerful but I wish they would have turned the water off while Owen was speaking because it was hard to understand him and it was heavy stuff. So, the thing is I like Owen just still not so much Christina. Christina did have one redeeming moment though when she said what she did about the pony tail.

ES as the SK. That dude can DO creepy :scared: He should get an Emmy nod for his performance.

All in all it was a really good epi. No D. Denny and a REALLY GOOD PROPOSAL and it would have been a 5/5. But I do give it a 4/5.

Two things that bugged me. One, Mark being at Mer's house. That was just stupid when he has a perfectly good hotel room they could have gone to. Two, if Izzie is the only one that can see D.Denny then why was it showing him sitting down next to Alex and saying "we have to talk" when Izzie wasn't even in the room. Made no sense.
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am

Ok - a 3.75/5 stars I think - it was a powerful episode - very heart wrenching for the little boy. The PDR is riveting (well acted by ES).

Observations:
1. Very limited (shorter than normal) Meredith/Derek moments.
2. PDR has Derek pegged - was getting a kick out of playing on Derek's weaknesses. PDR respects Meredith - would kill her at the drop of a hat - but, he cannot best or play her - she is compassionate but able to be objective. It may be that this fellow is a killer and this may be the reason Derek is unable to do that. But, I don't think so - his mother said - he sees things in black and white - Meredith does not - she has learned there are many shades of grey and green and blue. :D
3. Lexie has moved into Casa Grey's attic. Looks like she is there to stay. No wonder Mark said it was like a frat-house - goodness Sadie is there, too. Poor Derek and poor Mere. I am pleased Sadie is going, I have little sympathy for her. I wonder if I will change my opinion if we see more of why is she the way she is.
4. Derek always yells at Meredith. Why?
5. Shorty = Mark - Mark (and Shorty) is limited by his own self image and it holds him back. Everyone (and he himself) sees him as a Manwhore - so he behaves like one - McMama called him on it and he is changing.
(Sunny, I can see chemistry between he and Lexie. I think he has a unique chemistry with Callie but they are better as BFF without benefits IMO)
6. McMama - I wish she had of given Meredith some positive comments instead of just telling Derek that she is "the one". I would have liked to have seen a Meredith/Derek scene after McMama left, But, I bet sr pulled it just because she has heard we are calling them the bookends. ;) Liked her moments with Derek and we did get a sneak peek into Derek before SGH. She does know that Addison slept with Mark - which is good and she is not all pro Addison which I feared. Loved McMama analysis technique of Lexie and her approval for Mark. Wonder if this is the Mark/Lexie outing?
7. Owen and Cristina - interesting! Have to wait and see. I, like Sunny, have difficulty seeing past SO/Cristina. I was the same with her and Burke although I like Owen more.
8. Alex is being held back by Dennygate - the storyline is crap so I cannot analyise it. And just FF it.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby McSunny on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:23 am

McMorning/ McEvening all

Credit Terri at S&D

Grey's Anatomy 5.13 Promo - Jan 16, 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_A3fSgETCKQ

Preview of 'Grey's Anatomy' 5.13: Stairway to Heaven - January 16, 2009
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00021269.html

Exclusive: Tyne Daly on being M.a.m.a. McDreamy
http://mytakeontv.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/tyne-daly/

TV Recap: Grey's Anatomy - Sympathy For The Devil -Jan 16, 2009
Momma Shepherd comes to town and meets the staff of Seattle Grace, the creepy serial killer gets brain surgery, McBadass finally asks Cristina on a date, Sloane begins to cut himself some slack, the wizard gives Bailey's buddy a new kidney, and Izzie finally dumps Denny, but he's still not gone! And how is it that I've just now noticed that every episode this season is named after a classic song?

The creepy creepy serial killer's brain is swelling and Shepherd makes the mistake of warning him that continued swelling could cause him to die. Sensing an escape from the death penalty, Captain McSlashy tries to refuse surgery, but Shepherd just points out that when he loses consciousness and thus is no longer able to make informed decisions, it just takes two doctors agreeing that he needs the surgery to perform the surgery. ....... there’s more
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/T ... 14659.html

ADDED:

Grey's Anatomy: Episode 5.12 "Sympathy For The Devil" Recap - Thursday, January 15, 2009

Grey's Anatomy begins in the middle of the night tonight. Bailey's (Chandra Wilson) young patient who needs like a bazillion transplants is still around this week. Bailey's in a tizzy about his condition, and pages Arizona Robbins at 2:30 in the morning to strategize about getting him bumped up on the transplant list. Robbins isn't so happy about being paged in the middle of the nigh for something that isn't an emergency.
Derek (Patrick Dempsey) is also paged because the PDR patient, played by the creepy Eric Stoltz, is getting worse. His brain contusions are expanding, and if he doesn't have surgery soon, he'll die. Since he's about to be executed by the state in five days, he's thinking that he should refuse the surgery and try dying a natural death.
Apparently, Lexie (Chyler Leigh) is now living in Meredith's attic. She has Mark (Eric Dane) stashed up there for some nooky, who wants to sneak out, but all the other denizens of the frat house are downstairs cleaning the house in anticipation of Derek's mother coming to visit, which makes a sneaky sneak-out difficult. Izzie (Katherine Heigl) , who happens to be great with mothers, is the only one who seems to actually do any cleaning. This is a great scene, with Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) reunited with the tequila bottle and all the kids hanging out together again.....cont’d
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/greys-a ... 25722.aspx

McDreamy's mom visits ‘Grey's Anatomy’ - Jan 16, 2009

Plus: Organ donation creates yet another ethical dilemma - Mother knows debilitating tension: Derek’s mother visited, which had Meredith in a nervous knot. Izzie helpfully removed every potentially embarrassing item from the house (except the dead boyfriend), while Meredith dressed to impress with a kicky ponytail. Unfortunately for Meredith, McMama turned out to be Tyne Daly, and if anyone is going to be wise to Meredith Grey, it’s Tyne Daly. Ultimately, though, she gave Meredith a hearty thumbs-up.
Sympathy for the devil: The saga of Eric Stoltz as William Dunn, a hospitalized death-row prisoner, continued, as he refused necessary brain surgery, figuring it wouldn’t be so bad to die in the hospital instead of by lethal injection. Derek, of course, was determined to get him well enough for execution.
The obligatory heart-tugging child: Things got complicated when the prisoner told Meredith he’d donate his organs to Bailey’s desperate young patient. There was another donor, but (of course) those organs failed, and Meredith alone knew that Dunn could step in. Her decision to the ethical dilemma was (as usual) to duck it, here by telling him how to destroy his own brain, the better to allow the harvesting of his organs. As the episode ended, he took her advice, slamming his delicate, post-surgery melon into the edge of his bed...............cont’d
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28660330/

'Grey's Anatomy': The Death Penalty and Derek's Mom - Jan 15, 2009

Ellenpompeo_greysanatomy_s3_240 Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Sometimes it's nothing more than parts. Tonight, Grey's Anatomy was all about parts -- how they fit together, how they break apart, how they're cut away, and how we let go of them. Plus, we got to see the second part of the serial killer arc and watch a character who could've been just perky and annoying turn substantive and interesting. And Tyne Daley put in a fabulous guest appearance.
Let's start with our death row inmate, Dunn (Eric Stoltz). His brain's swelling, and Derek wants to operate. But the condemned killer would rather die in the hospital, so he's refusing treatment. Derek tasks Meredith and Cristina with closely monitoring his condition. When he becomes unconscious, two doctors can consent to treat him and overrule his wishes. Cristina's on board, but sensing a sympathetic soul, Dunn tries to appeal to Meredith, who's conflicted and doesn't have the same quest for justice that Derek does.
Bailey's getting impatient with Jackson's case, and she's getting emotional -- pushing Dr. Robbins to try to finagle a higher place on the transplant list for him. As Bailey wheels Jackson down the hallway and Meredith wheels Dunn from the opposite way, they meet, and Jackson's immediately fascinated by the bad guy he sees handcuffed to the cot. Dunn very creepily offers the kid his liver and intestine, which gets the kid's hopes up. Bailey, desperate, approaches Robbins with a stopgap plan, and the two end up duking it out when Bailey can't put aside her contempt for Robbins' wanting to trust the transplant process. Now, I hate the whole perky-blonde-doctor thing as much as the next person, but Robbins is actually quite sane, thoughtful and even-keeled. She's like the opposite of Dr. Sydney Heron, the terminally peppy resident who kept driving Bailey n.u.t.s. last season.................there’s more
http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastni ... omy-t.html

ETA:

Meredith: [voice over] My mother used to say this about residency. It takes a year to learn how to cut, it takes a lifetime to learn not to. Of all of the tools on the surgical tray sound judgment it the trickiest one to master. And without it we’re all just toddlers running around with ten blades.

Meredith: [voice over] We’re human. We make mistakes. We mis-estimate, we call it wrong. But when a surgeon makes a bad judgment call it’s not as simple. People get hurt, they bleed. So we struggle over every stitch, we agonize ... over every suture. Because the snap judgments, the ones that come to us quickly and easily without hesitation, they’re the ones that haunt us forever.

WRITERS BLOG IS UP

http://www.greyswriters.com/
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:04 pm

I really like it. I give a 5/5. It's the kind of grey I want to see :D .
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Postby DarkUFO on Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:19 pm

Don't forget to vote in the Episode Ratings Poll

http://spoilertv-greysanatomy.blogspot. ... my_16.html
DarkUFO
Administrator

Postby hbshopgirl on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:56 am

I agree with everyone that it was very heartrending.
I have to say that what Meredith did, helping the serial killer like that is so out of character for her. I mean her telling him in a round about way that if he breaks his stitches or whatever he will be sent back to surgery. In season 2 with the whole Denny thing she remained neutral, she has always been very black and white. Ive always said she is the best at having a balance than the others. Christina and Alex are too cold with patients and Izzie is way to close with patients. Mere has always been really good at being a doctor and a listener. But now how she is acting reminds me of how Izzie would act. Now I know she isn't falling in love with the prisoner or anything but what she did was wrong IMO.

Owen and Christina- such a good scene between them. I have to watch it again to fully hear everything he said in the shower though. Derek's mom coming really got to him. I mean it made him have flashbacks and everything.
I'm wondering about next week though, don't you think Owen would be the embarrassed one and would be avoiding Christina not the other way around?
The last scene with Alex and Denny was actually kind of interesting. I mean it made me actually be intrigued about the storyline for once when he said "Alex we need to talk" I think Denny is going to try to do something to Alex. But one thing I have to gripe about is if Denny is a hallucination for Izzie how is around when she isn't there?? And how can something happen when he is not real? I'm ready for someone to point out that something is not right with Izzie.

Mark and Lexie- I am starting to really like them. Were the old interns really that immature like these ones? Maybe we didn't notice because that is all we knew? I think they just made these new guys over the top. It's really bad how dumb they are. I mean "they have tator tot!!!s"?? Come on!

Derek's mom- I think I like her. Do u think she will be back this season? The speech Meredith gave her was very old Meredith which is good but she shouldn't have said that serial killer part because she knows about Derek's dad.

Oh and and Dr Robbins again I think she is really interesting. I hope she is in more episodes. It's nice to see someone not being afried of Baily for once, as much as I like Bailey its refreshing. Also how close to Jackson and how much she is fighting for him is interesting to see too.
All and all it was a good episode and kept me entertained.
hbshopgirl
Stunt Double

Postby sdcsi on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:11 am

I am in love with Owen. He's dark and twisty, too. Perfect for Cristina. I'll be interested to see why she's avoiding him. I thought that shower scene was beautiful.

I think Cristina's comment to Meredith about the ponytail was a step for her to get their friendship back on track. It was her attempt to reach out, it seems.

I loved Tyne Daly, as always. I liked her telling Derek why he needed Meredith.

Denny wants to talk to Alex? I wonder if it'll be a "you better treat her right" kind of talk. Didn't a producer just say Denny wasn't a ghost? Then what the heck is he?

I enjoyed the ep and liked Mark telling Callie to walk tall.
sdcsi
Viewer

Postby Leliforever on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:06 pm

Hello spoiler girls!!! :thumbsup:
Sorry for not posting for quite long but I went shopping yesterday (for about 5-6 hours! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: ) and didn't have time to open the pc because when I returned home the only thing I did was sleep!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway...
I LOVED the episode!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Best episode of season 5 so far definately!
I loved McMama she was so nice,and kind and sweet...
But I wish she had told sth better to Mer...sth sweeter...but she told the best thing to Derek "She is the one!" :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: Yes,she is!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
And the ring that she didn't give to Addison!OMG!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: So romantic... :wub: :wub: :wub:

I loved Mark with both lexie and Callie... :thumbsup: He was so cute when Lexie told him about her age! :lol: :lol:
ANd the "walk tall" thing...was so sweet!!! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Loved the scene with Mer & Chris...
An Owen was cute ...I wish they had kissed in the shower... :blush: But anyway...

The PDT keeps looking scary (the thing at the end with hitting his head! :scared: God!I knew I was sensitive but this was really cruel!!! :scared: And scary!!! :scared:

So,I'll give it a 4/5...Because there was no proposal and no sweet word from Mcmama's mouth! :unsure:

P.S.Ellen should get an award for the scene where said "Your mother is coming!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: She was adorable!!! :hail: :hail: :hail:
P.S.2.Patrick should get 1000 awards for the last scene with his mama...he was crying! :wub: :wub: :wub: He was awesome!amazing!perfect!
P.S.3.I felt really sorry for the man with the legs...Do people really do these things? :(
When something begins,you generally have no idea how it's going to end...
The house you were going to sell becomes your home,the roomates you were forced to take in become your family...
And the one night stand you were determined to forget becomes the love of your life...
Leliforever
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:54 pm

hbshopgirl wrote:I agree with everyone that it was very heartrending.
I have to say that what Meredith did, helping the serial killer like that is so out of character for her. I mean her telling him in a round about way that if he breaks his stitches or whatever he will be sent back to surgery. In season 2 with the whole Denny thing she remained neutral, she has always been very black and white. Ive always said she is the best at having a balance than the others. Christina and Alex are too cold with patients and Izzie is way to close with patients. Mere has always been really good at being a doctor and a listener. But now how she is acting reminds me of how Izzie would act. Now I know she isn't falling in love with the prisoner or anything but what she did was wrong IMO.

I don't think Mer is to involved ... a doctor ha also to be compassionate without crossing the border. I do think that Mer i such a doctor. The right balance between Izzie and Christina. :)
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers