What did you think of 5.13 - Stairway to Heaven

Spoiler discussion for 'Grey's Anatomy'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

What did you think of 5.13 - Stairway to Heaven

Postby Taylijane on Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:30 pm

Please tell us what you thought of episode 5.13 - Stairway to Heaven!

Give it your rating of 1/5 stars or 5/5 stars and tell us why - what was good and what was bad.
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: What did you think of 5.13 - Stairway to Heaven

Postby greymaters on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:10 am

Taylijane wrote:Please tell us what you thought of episode 5.13 - Stairway to Heaven!

Give it your rating of 1/5 stars or 5/5 stars and tell us why - what was good and what was bad.

I need to stop crying, ...and gather my thoughts, with the exception of the Denny crap, it was a very emotional eppi but good! :( :surrender: I give it a 4/5 only because there was too much of Denny.

Mark and Lexie was as I said, locked in the on call room have sex, interns outside the door, wanting to get in and sleep, hearing the groans from within. Sadie stick up for Lexie by telling interns that it was her in the OC with Mark, as they are all watching his surgery.

Lexie and Callie sceen.

SK, Mer just where it left off last week, but he is hemorrhaging, mer does not page Derrk

Meredith and Derek disagree about SK...promo

A wife lost her husband in a car accident (brain dead) Richard talks her into giving his liver and intestine to the boy, okay crying again...

Ends like Buddy TV said....but it was SO SAD Meredith crying, I am crying...

:cursing: Voice over, was done by :cursing: JDM Denny

The thing I liked most about this eppi, was EP's and CW's acting. Loved ES, he did a great job! It was a really good 3 part arc with him, sorry to see him go.

When dead one. kept saying to Izzie, "I am here for you", I took it to mean, Izzie is going to die, or very close to dying with her aneurysm. That is what I think Izzie realized when she heard the mother say that to the boy. :PP
Last edited by Iceman on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Double Post. Please use the edit button. Thanks.
"It's important to tell the people you love how much you love them while they can hear you." Meredith
greymaters
Supporting Actor

Postby McSunny on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:12 am

I really enjoyed this episode. I'd give it a 4/5 for the same reason that Donna did....just too much Denny. At least, now, Izzie is starting to get a clue that something is wrong.

I also thought that EP & CW were fantastic. ES was excellent too. PD was particularly McDreamy with the ring and also at the end when he is waiting on Mer. That just shows you when someone really loves you they love you unconditionally. I :wub: McDreamy.

I wanted to smack Christina.

I'm torn each week over Owentina because I really do like Owen but I'm just so not a Christina fan that it's hard for me to really get into them. My reasons date back to the IW/SO days because of the article that came out that said that IW/SO weren't supposed to be a couple but that IW/SO decided they would MAKE UP chemistry so that they could be the IT couple instead of it being EP/PD. That just never sat well with me. Then there's the kind of friend Christina has NOT been to Mer. All that together and it's hard for me to pull for Christina. I will admit that they have some touching scenes together.

Fractured penis for McSteamy? Ouch! Wonder how long that takes to heal? Are there exercises to get it back in shape? :P Do you have to wear a big cast? Just curious.

I bawled like a baby several times and still have my head full of the show so I'm going to think about it some more before making any further comments.

It was good. :D

ETA:

Writer's Blog for 513 is Up
http://www.greyswriters.com/2009/01/mar ... ng-on.html

Joe's blog is also up.

http://www.emeraldcitybar.com/
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 am

I'm downloading the epi ... I will tell you later on (I have first to go to work :PP ). But it seems good looking at your comments
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Postby McSunny on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:10 am

Reviews:

'Grey's Anatomy': Denny's not a ghost
- Jan 22, 2009
This week's Grey's Anatomy is part 3 of an arc -- the Return of the Jedi, if you will -- of a couple of very compelling storylines and the continuation (start?) of the one that's been driving many of us nu.ts for weeks now. There's also some interesting character development and a genuinely stupid injury (not that I'm unsympathetic to those who've suffered it -- ow). So let's get rolling.
First, you have to know something's up when it's Denny doing the opening voiceover and not Meredith. "I believe in a heaven," he intones. "I also believe in a hell. Because without a heaven, without a hell, we're all just headed for limbo." That's ominous, even for those who didn't attend Catholic school. Denny's still following Izzie around, to her annoyance. She can't figure out why he's still here after she broke up with him. "I'm here for you, Izzie Stevens," Denny repeats for something like the 40th time since he started turning up. But for the first time something clicks in my head -- maybe it's the distancing language and patterns of liars I learned about the other night on Lie to Me -- but him using her full name suddenly makes me suspicious....... cont’d
http://blog.zap2it.com/ithappenedlastni ... ghost.html

Stairway To Heaven - 2009-01-22

Broken. P.e.nis. Let me say that again - broken p.en.is. What else can I really say? Okay, how about...Izzie finally gets a clue about why Denny has come back and they say their (final?) goodbye, the Chief, Bailey, and Meredith all cross a line, and Yang gives things another chance.
I may as well get this out of the way first, or it will haunt me for the rest of the recap. Sloane and Lexie sneak into the On-Call room for a booty call. Really, they should just change the sign on the door to “Booty Call Room” since everyone is always hooking up in there. I’d really hate to see the CSI crew go in with a black light, know what I mean?The nameless intern crew is standing outside the room listening to the fun and getting **** off because they can never get in there to catch some sleep since the sheets are always crusty when Sloane lets out a not-happy shout and the interns scatter. Inside the room, Lexie gets up off the floor and notes that “it’s all bent”. Sloane sends her to find Callie, who tries to blow Lexie off until she gets across that she broke Sloane...........there's more
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/T ... 14761.html

Grey's Anatomy: Episode 5.13 "Stairway to Heaven" Recap (Page 1/4) - January 22, 2009
On tonight's episode of Grey's Anatomy, Dead!Denny! takes over voiceover duties for Meredith. He says something about believing in both heaven and hell, despite not having seen them. Wait, so is it really Izzie who is voiceovering? Or does Dead!Denny! actually exist in his own right?

There's scary music and scenes of PDR Guy bashing his head in. He starts seizing, but Meredith ignores her page. Sadie (Melissa George) and a murse respond to the call, but Meredith (Ellen Pompeo) tells Sadie to go find something else to do. Meredith wants to stall a bit to make sure that PDR Guy is good and brain dead so that his organs can be put into Bailey's little boy patient, Jackson. Let me just say that if you thought that Eric Stoltz was creepy in his first two episodes, you ain't seen nothin' yet. He's seizing and bleeding out from the back of his skull and his eyes are rolling all around inside his head. Yeesh.

Meanwhile, at home, Izzie (Katherine Heigl) is trying to sleep, but she can't make Dead!Denny! go away. She wants to know why he's still here, even after she broke up with him. He says that can't go because he's here for her. You know, with all this dark lighting and ghosts not going away, it's looking like pretty a Supernatural-y Grey's Anatomy. Izzie should watch her back. ....cont'd
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/greys-a ... 25779.aspx
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:33 am

Thanks for the tissue warning! Sob!
A powerful episode.
A 4/5, I think. All of the actors did a great job in this episode - EP and CW in particular and of course ES. And he actor that plays Dead Denny did a great acting job too. I will talk about that storyline last.
The medical cases of the little boy and the PDR were very enthralling. I was cross with Meredith for letting the PDR play her this episode or a thought she was falling for it but then she said "I know you were scared" and I realised she realised she was being played but she still felt she should do what he wanted to do and also what was for the greater good - the little boy surviving. I wonder how it would have ended if very conveniently at the last minute they NOT found the organs - it would have been a more powerful episode if they had of gone there instead of conveniently finding a donor at the last minute - it was a cop-out - an easy way out of a very difficult ethical dilemma. I would have liked to have seen Derek and Bailey and Meredith's response if a donor had not been found conveniently at the last moment.
A couple of time line things - where did the 5 days go? And the execution - they gave all the drugs at one time - that does not happen.
I thought it was great that Derek was there for Meredith even though they had a difference of opinion. And for Cristina to be there for Meredith - great friendship - great and gracious love from Cristina and Derek.
Now Denny - sr - liar, liar pants on fire!!! An hallucination which is a symptom of an aneurysm does not come back to tell you that you have an illness. A ghost - spirit - whatever you want to call it (if you believe in that) does. But, because the fans guessed right - sr could not have that - so she said it was something else. Liar, liar - pants on fire sr!!!!! :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :x :x :x :x
Why does she do that? She is the most insecure, neurotic nincompoop imaginable. I refuse to ever comment on this storyline again. It is the most ridiculous waste of celluloid imaginable - no matter what we are going to find out by the season finale. Stupid, stupid!Get over your crush on this man, sr - you insecure, neurotic nincompoop ! :cursing:
The rest of the episode was great.
PS Do you think TRK will nominated for a Golden Globe this year? :P :whistle: He has such a vast amount of screen time don't you think? Beware the wrath of sr. You are either seeing ghosts or have no screen time. :whistle: :sneaky:
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:38 pm

Just finished to watch the epi during lunch time, and I agree on many things with you. I think indeed it would have been even a better epi without the last minute donor.
I like the compassion of Mer :wub: , she knows life is more complex than white or black. And indeed she knew the PDR was playing, but still questions are still here.
I guess we have to cope with Denny and Izzie (it's like we don't have the choice) :whistle: ... in the mean time, actors are good (so nothing against them).

I really think the last few epi were good, hope someone will be able to give the rating (in US).

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Postby Jaqs55 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:42 pm

I find that more and more I'm watching Grey's out of habit, but this episode was really good. Loved the choice of Drifting Further Away by Powderfinger for the closing scenes. Just watched it on my laptop in the library and had me welling up a little!
"The sophomore sensation credits her agility and quick first step to her father, who used to take her to a neighborhood park all covered with cheese."

"Are you telling me that not only did you invent a secret plan to fight inflation, but now you don't support it?"
Jaqs55
Stunt Double

Postby md_em on Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:49 pm

BTW, my note: 4,5/5

and for the record, there is no bone in a penis (but really who cares in the writers' room) :PP

md_em
Star Billing

Postby Taylijane on Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:12 pm

md_em wrote:BTW, my note: 4,5/5

and for the record, there is no bone in a penis (but really who cares in the writers' room) :PP

You are right, md_em - there is some cartilage and lots of blood vessels that can burst but nothing that can break. :D :whistle:
I also had problems with the organ donation storyline - it was very poorly done and the transplant and organ donor associations must be having apoplexy over the treatment of the wife of the donor. It does nothing to encourage people to be organ donors or for families to make these decisions.
I think the writers just wanted an easy way out of a difficult storyline that they had backed themselves into. And the people who require transplants are the ones that suffer while they wait for organs because Joe Public gets the wrong message. They could have done so much for the organ donor situation by handling this more carefully. I cringed way back at Dr Dixon and the brain dead girl and thought - "Oh Dear, not good" but this was worse. :thumbsdown: :(
Similar to another storyline that I refuse to comment on - they have not choice but to look ridiculous no matter where they go from now on. Are we going to have Izzie going off into the long corridor with the white light with Dead D waiting on the other side to take her to heaven or he sends her back because it is not her time and we all forget about this pathetic piece of passion crush fix for sr. Please!!!! :thumbsdown:

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby sdcsi on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:23 pm

While there were things I liked about the ep--Meredith going to the execution (very brave), Derek being there fore her afterwards, Cristina coming through when really needed, Owen (always Owen lol)--the organ donation part was awful. Such a contrived ending reeks of bad juvenile fiction. Bailey's pleading in the OR was horrific. I couldn't even watch. So OOC (even though they tried to build up to it over the two eps) and just completely over the line. I know she was over-invested, but that just went too far, for me. At least she did the right thing in the end.

I guess they've spent so much time establishing dead Denny because they want us to believe either that he didn't know he was there for Izzy, or he really is that selfish. Either way, eh. I wonder how Izzy will handle the realization that she's ill. This was an interesting way of having her find out she's sick, not worth the amount of time they've spent on the issue (ghost sex? totally unnecessary to the storyline), but it might have worked if they'd done it in fewer eps.
sdcsi
Viewer

Postby hbshopgirl on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

It was a very sad episode. I have to admit I teared up a bit when Meredith was crying. The end went to fast. I mean like everyone said the organ donation part and also Meredith going to the execution and rushing to Christina's. I imagined the scene would be a lot longer. The time span was really off with the prisoner's execution. I noticed that when I read the ending spoiler yesterday. I liked the Christina and Owen scenes of course and am really interested to see were they take them next.
When I read the ending spoiler, I was thinking that Meredith is a cry baby and everything but now I take that back. I really felt for her. The scene with Derek outside by his car reminded me of 1-05 when he is outside Mere's house and she is outside drinking tequila.Very different circumstances but equally cute. That 1-05 scene is one of my favorite MerDer scenes of all time.
But I have to say that if it were Christina or someone else who did what Mere did,Derek would be really mad at them and they would be in huge trouble but Meredith can do no wrong in his eyes or anyone's eyes on that show.
About the Dead Denny thing, they are moving way to slow. I mean okay now that she realizes something is wrong with her you would think that she would get help but no it's going to go on all season long.
Meredith and Christina no each other really well. Christina could tell Meredith did something in that early scene. Also when Derek comes to her door, Christinas like "did you propose" when he said Meredith couldn't stop crying. That is something Meredith would do cry when she is proposed to. Haha It was kinda funny when she said that. I wished we could have heard what they said in the car but I guess it wasn't important all that mattered was that they were friends again.

That scene in the OR with Bailey and Derek, it really shows how much Derek respects Bailey.
Also I wish they would have had a scene with Owen operating on Mark. It would have been really funny I bet. I guess Callie didn't come home last night so she didn't see Owen in the apartment. Would have been a good OR scene.
hbshopgirl
Stunt Double

Postby Taylijane on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:10 am

sdcsi wrote:While there were things I liked about the ep--Meredith going to the execution (very brave), Derek being there fore her afterwards, Cristina coming through when really needed, Owen (always Owen lol)--the organ donation part was awful. Such a contrived ending reeks of bad juvenile fiction. Bailey's pleading in the OR was horrific. I couldn't even watch. So OOC (even though they tried to build up to it over the two eps) and just completely over the line. I know she was over-invested, but that just went too far, for me. At least she did the right thing in the end.

I guess they've spent so much time establishing dead Denny because they want us to believe either that he didn't know he was there for Izzy, or he really is that selfish. Either way, eh. I wonder how Izzy will handle the realization that she's ill. This was an interesting way of having her find out she's sick, not worth the amount of time they've spent on the issue (ghost sex? totally unnecessary to the storyline), but it might have worked if they'd done it in fewer eps.

Good analysis, sdcsi. I, too, was uncomfortable in the Bailey OR scene as well and did not really think why. It was out of character for her and I am not sure that even in the circumstances and her over investment in the case, she would have reacted in that submissive, broken, pathetic, pitiful way - it was just not Bailey even with all that was going on.
I am not sure how sr is going to explain the storyline that I refuse to comment on but what ever it is - she will say something like "but, it was all in Izzie's imagination and that is the way the character wanted to TAKE me. I had not control." But, I could not get over the amount of time dedicated to the storyline that I refuse to comment on. I realise that it is supposed to take a backseat to the next two episodes but in the promo for 5.14, I think it is Izzie that collapses in the ambulance bay toward the end of the clip.
GA's rating were improving last night, I think because we are leading up to a Mere/Derek proposal and the medical cases are improving. The show would be nearing its old self if it were not for the storyline that I refuse to comment on.
CSI (CBS)
Viewers: 17.53 million (#1), A18-49: 4.9/12 (#2)

Grey’s Anatomy (ABC)
Viewers: 14.25 million (#2), A18-49: 5.6/14 (#1)

It is certainly reasserting itself in the A18-49 group and this has to be because of the Meredith and Derek storyline - which we have been saying all along.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby hbshopgirl on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:12 am

I have a question, what did Meredith say to Christina in the car?? I think Christina said "it's okay" or something?
hbshopgirl
Stunt Double

Postby Taylijane on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:19 am

hbshopgirl wrote:I have a question, what did Meredith say to Christina in the car?? I think Christina said "it's okay" or something?

Hbshopgirl, that had to be the worst piece of editing in a prime time show I have ever seen. To put the music and the voiceover over that essential piece of dialogue was criminal. :cursing: We must have some lip-reading experts amongst us who can give us a guess at least. :)
You know the more I write and think about this episode the more I find it lacking. I think immediately after seeing it you are so emotional you cannot see the many flaws.
I'll be back later to pick up the points that I feel need discussing and think about which thread we should discuss it in - here is probably the most appropriate.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Next

Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers