Any new news about the George leaving rumor/scoop?

Spoiler discussion for 'Grey's Anatomy'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Re: Any new news about the George leaving rumor/scoop?

Postby McSunny on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:57 am

T.R. Knight Leaves Grey’s Anatomy – June 18, 2009

It’s been a long time coming: After years of playing the lovable George O’Malley on Grey’s Anatomy, ABC has granted T.R. Knight his wish to leave the show, Grey’s sources confirm to PEOPLE.

A show source explains that in addition to feeling his character was not getting juicy enough plot lines, the actor was uncomfortable with the spotlight cast on him as a result of show’s success.

“From some people’s point of view, T.R. doesn’t realize how good he has it being on a hit show and making the money he’s making,” a source says. “But I don’t know that he ever wanted that. He might be better off going and doing theater. Money doesn’t matter very much to him, and he likes to lead a private life.”

Reps for ABC and the actor had no comment on the news, which was first reported by EW.com.

Chandra Wilson, who is spending her summer as Mama Morton in Broadway’s production of Chicago, said she understood the tendency for some cast members to want distance from the Grey’s family — even if she doesn’t feel the same way.

“If you’re with your family in the house for ten months, all day every day, you’re going to have something to say about it, because that’s your family,” she tells PEOPLE. “Sometimes you want your cousins over; sometimes you want your cousins to get out the way. And that’s okay.” – Lisa Ingrassia
http://tvwatch.people.com/2009/06/18/it ... s-anatomy/

Grey’s Costar Confirms T.R. Knight Has Left the Show

T.R. Knight's former Grey's Anatomy costar Melissa George confirms he's leaving the show.

"Yes, he is," George told Us when asked at last night's Whitney Contemporaries Art Party and Auction in NYC.
Yesterday, a source told Us that Knight was released from his contract this week. The source added that show creator Shonda Rimes had until June 30 to decide Knight's fate, but the actor went directly to the network to ask to be released early.

"He's had enough of Shonda and ABC," the source said. "He decided to take back his powers."

George is proud of Knight, who played George O'Malley on the medical drama. (On the season finale, he appeared to have died after being hit by a bus.)

"He's one of my best friends," she tells Us. "I feel great for him."

What's next for him?

"Oh, everything. He's had a good week. I'm not saying anything," she teases.

Entertainment Weekly -- which also reported the news of his departure -- says the actor is in talks to headline the Broadway revival of Lend Me a Tenor in 2010.

George hints: "We just went to see two Broadway shows in the last two days. That's something great, you know? For him."

As for Katherine Heigl's fate, she admits: "I don't know yet."

Heigl, who plays Izzie Stevens, went unconscious after having surgery to treat her brain cancer in the last moments of the season finale. James Pickens Jr (Chief Richard Webber) told Us in February that she was leaving the show as well.
http://www.usmagazine.com/news/greys-an ... ow-2009186
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Postby Humbugged on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:18 pm

from OSU Amy @ ABC

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2009/06/tr- ... -exit.html

TR's statement:
"Leaving Grey's Anatomy was not an easy decision for me to make. I am extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to play this character and will miss my fellow cast and crew very much. I continue to wish them the very best, and wholeheartedly thank all of the fans who have supported me and the show with such passion and enthusiasm."

Shonda's statement:
“I think I speak for the entire Grey’s Anatomy family when I say we wish T.R. Knight the best in his future endeavors. He is an incredibly talented actor and a person whose strength of character is admired by all of us.”

So thats official
Humbugged
Supporting Actor

Postby andahazi on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:38 pm

From frontapge:

More Info on T.R. Knight's Exit

In the spirit of Comic-Con, I'm going to geek out here for a moment: Holy frak, it's my very first Entertainment Weekly cover story!!! Now that I got that out of my system, I present you with this exclusive excerpt...

Fans were shocked when T.R. Knight made the surprising decision to leave Grey’s Anatomy, the hit medical drama that launched him to fame. This week, in an exclusive interview with Entertainment Weekly, the actor reveals what led him to his decision, and he also candidly discusses "Isaiahgate,” coming out of the closet, and leaving his friends at Seattle Grace.

This fall, Knight was surprised to see his character George O’Malley all but vanish from the show -- for the first nine episodes of season 5, he appeared on screen a total of only 48 minutes, compared to 114 for Sandra Oh’s Christina. Still, due to what he calls a gradual “breakdown of communication” between himself and exec producer Shonda Rhimes, the actor chose not to ask his boss what was going on with his character. Instead, he simply asked to leave. "My five-year experience proved to me that I could not trust any answer that was given [about George]," he explains. "And with respect, I'm going to leave it at that."

Though he was unknown when Grey's premiered, Knight soon emerged as one of the breakout stars (and even earned a supporting actor Emmy nod in 2007), but it was what came to be known as "Isaiahgate" that would catapult him to household-name status. After Isaiah Washington referred to Knight as a "f----t" during an on-set argument with co-star Patrick Dempsey, the tabloids caught wind of it, Knight came out in the press, and Washington was fired. While Knight doesn’t specifically fault Rhimes for how the situation was handled behind the scenes, he says the exec producer was among those who tried to discourage him from coming out: "I think she was concerned about having my statement come out so close to the [initial] event." Rhimes denies this: "I said, 'If you want to come out, that's awesome.'"

Knight returned to work on season 4, but the actor struggled with the story line in which George cheated on his wife Callie (Sara Ramirez) with Izzie (Katherine Heigl). And once George went MIA from the beginning of season 5, the star came to the conclusion that his character had “expired.” Today, Knight is at peace with his choice toleave: "There just comes a time when it’s so clear that moving on is the best decision," he says. But at first, his castmate and friend Heigl tried to talk him out of it. "I didn't think it was the right decision," she says. "I felt like some of the problems could be worked through. But by the time it came to fruition, I was [glad] for him because he was ready to go."

Knight knows he’s taking a risk walking away from his top 10 show and $14 million contract. "From an outsider's perspective, I get the [impression that] 'He’s just a spoiled actor…he doesn’t know how good he has it,'" he says. "There are a lot of people who would like to be in my position. But in the end, I need to be fulfilled in my work."

For more on TR Knight -- including how he felt when George was back-burnered, what he really thought of the "Gizzie" story line, and where you can see him next-- plus what’s in store for the other docs on Grey’s Anatomy, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly on stands Friday July 24.

Wow, he reaally spoke out!
So, many thing people were gossiping about were true: the whole Isaiahgate thing, the hate for and from Shonda Rhimes... Interesting, very interesting.
andahazi
Stunt Double

Postby McSunny on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:33 am

McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby andahazi on Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:20 pm

There's something I don't understand.
In the article it says that T.R. "walk out of a $14 million contract".
What does that mean, exactly?
I assume he already earn a lot of money from the first 5 seasons of the show, so I don't know where those 14 millions came from. Or maybe is it that if he would stayed through her initial 7 years contract he would recive a bonus of 14 millions?
andahazi
Stunt Double

Postby McSunny on Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:39 am

andahazi wrote:There's something I don't understand.
In the article it says that T.R. "walk out of a $14 million contract".
What does that mean, exactly?
I assume he already earn a lot of money from the first 5 seasons of the show, so I don't know where those 14 millions came from. Or maybe is it that if he would stayed through her initial 7 years contract he would recive a bonus of 14 millions?

Yes, I think he meant if he would have stayed through the next two years for the original 7 year contract.
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Previous

Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers