Will Jim Become The New Michael?

General discussion for 'The Office'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Forum rules
Please be advised that this is a NO SPOILER forum section. No spoilers are to be posted here. Use the spoiler sections for anything spoiler related.

Will Jim Become The New Michael?

Postby Finli Otego on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:41 am

I was reading a recap of Koi Pond on The A.V. Club, and a reviewer of theirs had an interesting theory that puts the entire series in a whole new light....if you agree. I do.
...One of the things I’ve been insisting for a while now is that The Office’s major plot arc is the story of how Jim becomes Michael eventually. It’s the only way the show can really survive once Steve Carell leaves to pursue a movie career (you know it’s going to happen), and it’s a pretty brilliant strategy to make Michael more sympathetic retroactively. Jim was the series’ point-of-view character coming in, the guy who could always be counted on to be the one character who reacted like the audience did to Michael’s shenanigans, but as the show deepened who Michael was and explained how he’d never been fired from his job, they made it obvious that at one time, Michael was a pretty likable employee until he became the boss and that fatal flaw of needing to be liked made him the worst boss ever.

The show was also deepening Jim as this went on. Much as he was the point-of-view character, he could be kind of a dick from time to time, and his relationship with Pam could be almost relentlessly cute. (One of my few complaints about the series in recent seasons has been that their relationship has never felt like it’s deepened beyond the mutual crush the two shared in early seasons.) And he had his insecurities. Maybe he didn’t need to be liked like Michael did, but he had a real need to feel like people respected him, and it’s that need that’s sending him slowly down the path of Michael-ness now that he’s a co-manager. It’s the show doing Michael Scott: The Early Years without ever doing a cloying flashback episode, and that’s pretty impressive...

So what do you Office fans think? Do you agree?
Here's the whole article: http://www.avclub.com/articles/koi-pond,34779/

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Will Jim Become The New Michael?

Postby CaseyCasey87 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:44 am

I totally agree with this, recently since jim got the promotion, he seems to be trying to hard to be funny around the office and doesnt seem to be getting a laugh out of anyone, i can definitely see him becoming the new michael :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:
"HE IS BOB, EAGER FOR FUN.... WEARS A SMILE, EVERYBODY RUN...."- Phillip Gerrard

Either Conuley or against us basically...

I have a tiny font size
CaseyCasey87
Emmy Nominee

Postby rilizzo on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:26 pm

I have been thinking this ever since season 6 started! Jim is definently becoming Michael! :thumbsup:

As for the show continuing with Jim as the new Michael, I don't know if I would like that. It's an interesting idea, but I just can't see the show going on without Steve Carell.
set by obviously394 @ the-dark-arts.net
rilizzo
Guest Star

Postby DestinyFound on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:14 am

rilizzo wrote:I have been thinking this ever since season 6 started! Jim is definently becoming Michael! :thumbsup:

As for the show continuing with Jim as the new Michael, I don't know if I would like that. It's an interesting idea, but I just can't see the show going on without Steve Carell.

I WOULD HATE THE SHOW WITHOUT MICHAEL

SEASON 6 is really bad so far
I am very disappointed
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Finli Otego on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:25 am

DestinyFound wrote:I am very disappointed

So you're the one. :lol:
Seriously, you're like the only person I've seen with this opinion. I think this has been the most consistently great season so far. They've gotten very good at spotlighting each of the characters without it seeming like they're being shoehorned in.

Valar Morghulis

*Thanks to Jamielost and Miss Ford for the sig!
Finli Otego
Forum Moderator

Postby DestinyFound on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:27 am

Finli Otego wrote:
DestinyFound wrote:I am very disappointed

So you're the one. :lol:
Seriously, you're like the only person I've seen with this opinion. I think this has been the most consistently great season so far. They've gotten very good at spotlighting each of the characters without it seeming like they're being shoehorned in.

Yup . . . I am the one :PP
IDK I love the show to death, but I am not liking where it is going :(
Show Expert for Glee and The Office
DestinyFound
Show Expert

Postby Thirty-Fiver on Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:28 am

I definitely like the way this season has been going so far, but has anyone been a little irritated with the way Michael has treated Jim (and now Pam, too)? I mean, I know it falls right in line with Michael's character (needing to be the boss, needing to be liked, etc) since Jim got the promotion and whatnot, but to me it's felt like he's been a bit over the top with Jim. Kind of like he's treating Jim as if he were Toby, lol. I guess what I'm trying to say is Michael has always been able to be inconsiderate, rude, socially inept, etc. but it always seemed like he was unaware of how offensive or mean he was. This season he now seems to be fully conscious of how he's treating Jim and Pam. I've just always loved how Michael has tried so hard to be excepted and liked only for him to create the opposite effect on people. Now he's just being flat out selfish and mean at times.

Don't get me wrong though. I laugh at just about every scene Michael has been in this season.
It's like doing peyote and sneezing slowly for six hours.
Thirty-Fiver
Emmy Nominee

Postby amelia on Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:48 pm

People always talk about Steve Carrell leaving but what about John Krasinski? He's a young guy getting plenty of movie offers, he might not want to hang around much longer. Unless he finally gets an emmy/globe nomination. Steve is signed on til season 7...TBH I don't know how much longer the show will last after that.

However, I agree that Jim is turning into Michael. :scared:
amelia
Stunt Double

Postby MrsAdamLambert on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:41 pm

...well I think most of this is mute. The show is in the sixth season and while they could probably keep going through something like 10 I get the distinct feeling they'll end it closer to 8 (maybe even 7). They've been popular enough where I think they know the danger of running to long and what that could mean for them. It's better to go out early then to drag it out, I really do believe that even when shows go out to early I think it's the safer of the two options.

Just going by some the big steps they've take. Promoting Jim, Pam and Jim getting married and having a child. I get the distinct feeling that they're doing these (well more the baby and the promotion then the actual marriage) because they know they're on the sooner rather then later side of the end. I still think they'll go for maybe two more seasons but I think they'll be done then.
Ashley
MrsAdamLambert
Extra

Postby glorybound on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:58 am

couple things...

I've been afraid of the Jim becoming Michael thing for a while now. It seems like they've been setting that up for a few seasons. I don't like it. I makes sense, sure. I mean you have to do something to change things up. Especially if Carrell leaves. (I hope Michael gets promoted and becomes the "new Jan". That way we can still see him a couple of times a year.) And you can't get rid of Jim and Pam. They're the heart of the show. Though it looks like they're moving Andy and Erin into that role... I think it would be better if they put Andy or Dwight into the "new Michael" role. But whatever...

Secondly, I'm also not a big fan of this season. I think it's the weakest season of the show so far. There have been some great episodes, but mostly it's been more frustrating than funny. But I keep tuning in because even when the show is wonky, it's still better than most other comedies out there. I still laugh every week. I hope once the season is over that all of it pulls together nicely. :thumbup:
glorybound
Emmy Nominee

Postby Sawyer5665 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:28 am

It's not a bad theory, BUT i just can't see Jim being as obnoxious as Michael is. I don't think he could pull that off. Maybe he could become Michael in some areas, but not all. Jim may want to be liked, but he's no where near as awkward and obnoxious. I just can't picture that part.
DarthLocke made this awesome signature!!!

Take me to another place,
Take me to another land,
Make me forget all that hurts me,
Let me understand your plan.
Sawyer5665
Show Expert

Return to The Office Discussion [No spoilers!]