Help needed - probable virus

Embrace your inner geek! Become one with the world of Science & Technology.

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Help needed - probable virus

Postby isabelle on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi all. I think i have a virus on my laptop and its really p*ssing me off. Does anyone know how to get rid of it? I have McAfee doing a virus scan at the moment but does anyone have any better suggestions for how to get rid and prevent it in the future?

I think its one of those virus's that are more annoying than dangerous but i could be wrong. It could be dangerous too. It won't let me open emails, or use google, yahoo or youtube properly, and keep switcing my laptop off.

Desperate for help!!! :unsure: :cry:

Thanks in advance guys.
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Help needed - probable virus

Postby Gus TT Showbiz on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:33 pm

hmm,i would wait for mcafee to finish its scan and see what it says. If it does a find a virus, tell us what the name of it is, and maybe we can help that way :D
Gus TT Showbiz
Former Staff Member

Postby isabelle on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:35 pm

ok will do. Will take a while cos i had to start the whole scan again cos the laptop switched off in the middle of the scan. :cursing:

Thanks!
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Iceman on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:36 pm

yea, wait to see what McAfee says, and if that doesn't show anything you might have to bring it in somewhere, but hopefully not because that is very expensive.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Avengers, Assemble.
Iceman
Administrator

Postby isabelle on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:40 pm

Iceman815 wrote:yea, wait to see what McAfee says, and if that doesn't show anything you might have to bring it in somewhere, but hopefully not because that is very expensive.

Thats what i have to do with my PC. That has a virus too (ok, so i have a virus on each but its not my fault i swear lol), but its a really bad one. I literally can't even get the start bar and have to take it in to be fixed. Problem is its so expensive and they want us to pay even if they can't do anything to help........
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Joshjb on Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:56 am

You could try and ask for help on this forum - they helped me! :)
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum64.html
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby isabelle on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:15 am

thanx josh! :D
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:26 am

Sorry to hear about the virus, Isabelle :(
Once you have the virus name, tell us which one is.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Adam on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:28 am

Isabelle, just as a future suggestion (because it's a bit late now :PP ), I'd advise you to get avast! antivirus software - It's totally free and waaaaaaaaay better than McAfee (It has all the features of a full paid antivirus, but without the whole aspect of a price tag)! I use it on my laptop, and although I've come close to getting a virus, I've never actually got one :)

OR If you have the money to spend (or know the *ahem* *cough* free *cough* way to get it) then I'd advise Kaspersky Antivirus - It's the best one in the world, and well worth the money. We have it on our family computer, and we've never even got close to getting a virus!
Breaking Bad | The Office | Entourage | Lost | Californication
Adam
Former Staff Member

Postby isabelle on Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:09 am

cool thanks adam i will check that out too! :D

EDIT: Adam, i just clicked on those links and it came up with "problem loading page" and "cannot find server". This is the same thing that happened when we tried using McAfee live chat to talk to a technician (which we have done fine in the past). Is it possible that the virus is deliberately not allowing me to go to sites that can help?
If so :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: !!! Anyway around that? :cry: :cry:

EDIT AGAIN: Josh, i also just tried out the site you suggested but i can't sign up to it to start posting my problem there because i have to verify my email address before i can post, which i am unable to do because i can't open the email to verify. :cry: :cry: :no:
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby Adam on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:45 am

isabelle wrote:cool thanks adam i will check that out too! :D

EDIT: Adam, i just clicked on those links and it came up with "problem loading page" and "cannot find server". This is the same thing that happened when we tried using McAfee live chat to talk to a technician (which we have done fine in the past). Is it possible that the virus is deliberately not allowing me to go to sites that can help?
If so :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: !!! Anyway around that? :cry: :cry:

Is it just happening on those websites? What happens when you go on other antivirus sites? How about googling "avast! antivirus", click on the first link and see if it works then? It might just be blocking the links :S

Also, what browser are you using? Try and use an alternative one if you can and see if it works then :)
Breaking Bad | The Office | Entourage | Lost | Californication
Adam
Former Staff Member

Postby Joshjb on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:28 am

Isa, if you want you can register with my e-mail address and I'll verify your account for you. If you are interested, PM me, and I'll help you. :)
ImageImage
Joshjb
Former Staff Member

Postby isabelle on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Adam: Its happening on most anti virus sites. even if i google them. in fact, googling works even worse, because even if i google something simple like lost spoilers and it comes up with Darkufo's site, i click on the link, it opens a new tab and leaves the page blank and then 5 seconds later it tells me my laptop is shutting down! Managed to get a free trial of AVG. Waatched a youtube vid that said it worked well. hope its good, it was the only thing that hasn't been blocked. Using firefox. Internet explorer is just as bad. :cry: When all this is sorted i will get avast to stop it happening in the future. :D

Josh: I am gonna see if the anti virus thing i am using at the moment will work and if not then i will PM you and take you up on your offer if thats ok. :D

EDIT: ok so i have found out the names of the stuff i have. here goes:

In infections section : Trogan horse SHeur.CIRA (two of them)
In spyware section: Adware Generic3.IDL (four of them)
In warning section (this confused me): something called Tracking cookie.247 realmedia (272 of them).

any ideas about what it all is? Apparently they are in a virus vault right now....
isabelle
Emmy Winner

Postby PandaVamp on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:27 pm

I try to find information on those viruses but couldn't find anything :(
Don't worry much about the tracking cookie, just delete your cookies and on the internet options use the option that only accepts cookies from secure sites and webs you know.

I recommend you to download Windows Live One Care. It helped me when I had a stupid virus that was making my life hell and couldn't find anything about. I think you can try it for 90 days or something.

You have to invite me in.
PandaVamp
Senior Moderator

Postby Jamielost on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:38 pm

Trojan Horses are horrible. Try this:

Turn off your computer by holding down the on/off button. Turn it back on and click to start in Safe Mode. Then go to Start>Accessories>System tools>System Restore and restore it to as far back as poss. Then run an anti virus and spyware check and dispose of what's left.

Tracking cookies arent harmful. Don't worry :)

I use CA Anti Virus and Spyware, it's absolutely brilliant. Got rid of a trojan horse for me, and there's options such as "Quarantine all spyware/viruses". http://www.ca-store.co.uk/ you'd have to pay for that, though.

I would really REALLY advise you not to try and download a free anti virus spyware like Adam suggested, I tried to get a program once and thats how I got the trojan :lol: unless you get it free another way that's 100% safe.

Good luck.
I ship Jangy! :wub:
Jamielost
Star Billing

Next

Return to Science & Technology