Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Spoiler discussion for 'Grey's Anatomy'

Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby DarkUFO on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:25 am

User avatar
DarkUFO
Administrator
 
Posts: 9037
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:41 pm
Location: UK
Gender: Male


Ads are removed for registered users






Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby McSunny on Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:34 am

Thanks DarkUFO!

Credit Crys at TWoP:

Episode 5.18 "Stand By Me"

Sides summary:

Sharon (30s) - Dr. Smith is doing a post-op exam and the interns are standing in the back. Dr. Smith says Sharon can't be released until she's passed gas and asks her if that's happened yet. Sharon is distracted by the interns because they look so young and asks if they're supposed to be doctors. Dr. Smith tells the interns to meet her at Mr. Lowry's room and turns to Sharon to apologize and request she be informed about the gas. Sharon agrees and as Dr. Smith leaves, mutters 'freakin' teenagers'.

Dexter and Shayna (the sides for the two characters are very similar so I'll just summarize it once) along with Milo are Dave's friends. Dave is looking out the window when they arrive. They yell 'Surprise!' and stand there awkwardly taking in the sight of Dave's face, which they don't recognize. Dave isn't happy. Dexter/Shayna introduce himself/herself and shows the orchid they brought to help cheer him up. Dave tells them to get out and shocks the room into silence. Dexter/Shayna asks if they can't come in for a little bit and Dave tells the nurse to get them out because they're strangers and he doesn't want them there. Dexter says they thought they should be there through it all. Shayna says they are hardly strangers since they chat all night every night for years. Dave starts yelling for them to get out, that they've never met and dont know anything about him. The friends leave the room devastated.

Kendall (60s) - Dr. Walters introduces herself and says she'll be performing the hernia repair today. Dr. Walters is going to do a pre-operative exam and asks Kendall if she has any questions. Kendall says she has many questions that her friends gave her that she can't remember and asks Dr. Walters to hand her her purse. Kendall explains that her friends are worry warts and they're off on a European tour. They threatened to cancel their trip when her hernia got worse but she insisted they go because they had been saving up for the trip for 2 years. Dr. Walters says that maybe she'll do the exam now and answer the questions later Kendall understands that Dr. Walters has a tight schedule and decides to find the questions later.

Dr. Walters is scrubbed in and Kendall is prepped for surgery. The anesthesiologist is about to put her under when she puts her hand up and looks at Dr. Walters. Kendall says she needs one thing from Dr. Walters. Kendall says the nurses read the scribbled answers to her questions and they told her she'd be okay and that the surgery is simple but she's scared and doesn't want to die. Kendall want to go on the tour to Russia next year with her friends and she wants Dr. Walters to tell her she'll be okay. Dr. Walters looks her in the eye and says she'll be fine. Kendall thanks Dr. Walters and says she's ready.

-----------------------------------

I don't have much time now but the theme seems to be friendship/friends supporting one another (Stand by me). I get the sense that it relates to the Fab Five being there for Izzie and even friendships between other characters.
User avatar
McSunny
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:20 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby Taylijane on Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:23 pm

Thank-you DarkUFO and Sunny.
Title is Stand By Me which goes with my theory that Izzie is some how physically affected by the aneurysm - maybe paralysed and the Fab Five are there to help her in her rehabilitation but she may not want them around.
Kendall whose friends she insists leave her so they can go on their trip, Dexter who sends his friends away and does not want to see them and Sharon who may not have any friends -she is only 30 but sounds like generations away from the interns.
Lyrics also reflect friendship and standing by your friends during hard times:
When the night has come
And the land is dark
And the moon is the only light we'll see
No I won't be afraid, no I won't be afraid
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh now now stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me

If the sky that we look upon
Should tumble and fall
And the mountains should crumble to the sea
I won't cry, I won't cry, no I won't shed a tear
Just as long as you stand, stand by me

And darlin', darlin', stand by me, oh stand by me
Stand by me, stand by me, stand by me-e, yeah

Whenever you're in trouble won't you stand by me, oh now now stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me

Darlin', darlin', stand by me-e, stand by me
Oh stand by me, stand by me, stand by me


And does this episode's dialogue induce the script throwing by KH, SO, EP and PD? Or is that 5.17 where Izzie's aneurysm causes her problems?

ETA
Strangely, there are no sides for Milo but he/she is mentioned as being with Shayna and Dexter as they visit Dave. There are also no sides for Dave Young. Could Milo and Dave be existing cast members? Could Dave be Izzie? I know it says something is wrong with his face but it could be paralysis from the aneurysm. We know how sr likes to change sexes in the sides and also the medical problems. :hmm:
I have mentioned this over at TWoP so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say as well. :)
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
User avatar
Taylijane
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Hanging by my fingernails to the Merederous Ledge
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby md_em on Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 pm

Sunny, thanks for all the info you bring (especially the one from Twop ... don't have enough time to check regularly their board)
Tayli ... waiting for your speculation :PP
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
User avatar
md_em
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby McSunny on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:25 am

The only thing about Dave maybe being Izzie is that would seem to mean that the "friends" that come into the room are some of the Fab 5 and that can't be because they released casting sides for Shayna & Dexter so they can't be current cast members.

I do think this episode is about friendship and Izzie struggling somehow with either telling her friends about her illness or letting them be supportive of her with it.
User avatar
McSunny
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:20 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby Taylijane on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:47 am

McSunny wrote:The only thing about Dave maybe being Izzie is that would seem to mean that the "friends" that come into the room are some of the Fab 5 and that can't be because they released casting sides for Shayna & Dexter so they can't be current cast members.

I do think this episode is about friendship and Izzie struggling somehow with either telling her friends about her illness or letting them be supportive of her with it.

Sunny, I agree, that is what make me think again but there are still no sides for Dave or Milo which could mean the sides are late or they are existing cast members. The theme is friendship and friends that stick around and those that don't and those that don't want them. But, surely Izzie has friends outside of the hospital - maybe they are hospital employees that we have not met yet. 5.17 is the big life challenge (and hopefully the end of Denny), 5.18 is the beginning of rehab and her friends and the fab five rally round her. May be stretching here! :P
But lets wait to see if sides for these characters appear. :)
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
User avatar
Taylijane
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Hanging by my fingernails to the Merederous Ledge
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby md_em on Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:55 am

Taylijane wrote:
McSunny wrote:The only thing about Dave maybe being Izzie is that would seem to mean that the "friends" that come into the room are some of the Fab 5 and that can't be because they released casting sides for Shayna & Dexter so they can't be current cast members.

I do think this episode is about friendship and Izzie struggling somehow with either telling her friends about her illness or letting them be supportive of her with it.

Sunny, I agree, that is what make me think again but there are still no sides for Dave or Milo which could mean the sides are late or they are existing cast members. The theme is friendship and friends that stick around and those that don't and those that don't want them. But, surely Izzie has friends outside of the hospital - maybe they are hospital employees that we have not met yet. 5.17 is the big life challenge (and hopefully the end of Denny), 5.18 is the beginning of rehab and her friends and the fab five rally round her. May be stretching here! :P
But lets wait to see if sides for these characters appear. :)


Tayli, do you think it's Izzie or jut a parallel to her story ?
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
User avatar
md_em
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby Taylijane on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:10 am

md_em wrote:
Taylijane wrote:
McSunny wrote:The only thing about Dave maybe being Izzie is that would seem to mean that the "friends" that come into the room are some of the Fab 5 and that can't be because they released casting sides for Shayna & Dexter so they can't be current cast members.

I do think this episode is about friendship and Izzie struggling somehow with either telling her friends about her illness or letting them be supportive of her with it.

Sunny, I agree, that is what make me think again but there are still no sides for Dave or Milo which could mean the sides are late or they are existing cast members. The theme is friendship and friends that stick around and those that don't and those that don't want them. But, surely Izzie has friends outside of the hospital - maybe they are hospital employees that we have not met yet. 5.17 is the big life challenge (and hopefully the end of Denny), 5.18 is the beginning of rehab and her friends and the fab five rally round her. May be stretching here! :P
But lets wait to see if sides for these characters appear. :)


Tayli, do you think it's Izzie or jut a parallel to her story ?


Not completely sure, md_em. But my senses tell me it is Izzie. I think the script throwing of EP, PD, SO and KH are significant and it relates to the Izzie storyline. I think Derek and Meredith are okay relationship wise (sr would be crazy to mess with them) but I think that everyone, particularly the actors are exasperated with Dennygate. I think sr is trying to come up with some way to end the Dennygate disaster and is probably in the same spot she was at the end of S3 - she had backed herself into a corner and had to burn it all down - and I think she is doing the same with Denny. She has this schoolgirl crush on the actor who plays Denny (I am sure it is significant I can NEVER remember his name) and she has got herself stuck AGAIN and she needs an easy out.
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
User avatar
Taylijane
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:57 pm
Location: Hanging by my fingernails to the Merederous Ledge
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby McSunny on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:36 am

Guy who plays Denny is Jeffrey Dean Morgan or JDM.

:offtopic: I read where he is coming out in a movie. I'm sure all the Grey's fans will rush to see that. Not! It's really sad for the actor because a lot of people are just sick of looking at him and won't want to see other things he's in.
User avatar
McSunny
Supporting Actor
 
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:20 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby md_em on Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:18 pm

McSunny wrote:Guy who plays Denny is Jeffrey Dean Morgan or JDM.

:offtopic: I read where he is coming out in a movie. I'm sure all the Grey's fans will rush to see that. Not! It's really sad for the actor because a lot of people are just sick of looking at him and won't want to see other things he's in.


Indeed :rofl:
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
User avatar
md_em
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am
Gender: Female

Re: Episode 5.18 - Casting Sides

Postby md_em on Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 am

Thanks to Crys at TWoP:

Title ep. 5.18 "Stand by Me"
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
User avatar
md_em
Star Billing
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:57 am
Gender: Female


Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron