Moderators: Moderators, Moderators, Moderators, Moderators

Episode 5.18 - Stand By Me - Spoiler Discussion

Postby Taylijane on Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:17 pm

Just thought I would start the discussion thread for 5.18
Title: Stand By Me
Proposed Airdate: 19th March 09
Speculated Theme - Friendship and friends standing by friends

Sides Summary:
Sharon (30s) - Dr. Smith is doing a post-op exam and the interns are standing in the back. Dr. Smith says Sharon can't be released until she's passed gas and asks her if that's happened yet. Sharon is distracted by the interns because they look so young and asks if they're supposed to be doctors. Dr. Smith tells the interns to meet her at Mr. Lowry's room and turns to Sharon to apologize and request she be informed about the gas. Sharon agrees and as Dr. Smith leaves, mutters 'freakin' teenagers'.

Dexter and Shayna (the sides for the two characters are very similar so I'll just summarize it once) along with Milo are Dave's friends. Dave is looking out the window when they arrive. They yell 'Surprise!' and stand there awkwardly taking in the sight of Dave's face, which they don't recognize. Dave isn't happy. Dexter/Shayna introduce himself/herself and shows the orchid they brought to help cheer him up. Dave tells them to get out and shocks the room into silence. Dexter/Shayna asks if they can't come in for a little bit and Dave tells the nurse to get them out because they're strangers and he doesn't want them there. Dexter says they thought they should be there through it all. Shayna says they are hardly strangers since they chat all night every night for years. Dave starts yelling for them to get out, that they've never met and dont know anything about him. The friends leave the room devastated.

Kendall (60s) - Dr. Walters introduces herself and says she'll be performing the hernia repair today. Dr. Walters is going to do a pre-operative exam and asks Kendall if she has any questions. Kendall says she has many questions that her friends gave her that she can't remember and asks Dr. Walters to hand her her purse. Kendall explains that her friends are worry warts and they're off on a European tour. They threatened to cancel their trip when her hernia got worse but she insisted they go because they had been saving up for the trip for 2 years. Dr. Walters says that maybe she'll do the exam now and answer the questions later Kendall understands that Dr. Walters has a tight schedule and decides to find the questions later.

Dr. Walters is scrubbed in and Kendall is prepped for surgery. The anesthesiologist is about to put her under when she puts her hand up and looks at Dr. Walters. Kendall says she needs one thing from Dr. Walters. Kendall says the nurses read the scribbled answers to her questions and they told her she'd be okay and that the surgery is simple but she's scared and doesn't want to die. Kendall want to go on the tour to Russia next year with her friends and she wants Dr. Walters to tell her she'll be okay. Dr. Walters looks her i
Last edited by Taylijane on Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Ads are removed for registered users

Ads are removed for registered users

Re: Episode 5.18 - Stand By Me - Spoiler Discussion

Postby Leliforever on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks Taili!I like the title...
Does this episode refer to the well known song "when the night,goes on...etc" :whistle: :whistle: ??? :hmm:
When something begins,you generally have no idea how it's going to end...
The house you were going to sell becomes your home,the roomates you were forced to take in become your family...
And the one night stand you were determined to forget becomes the love of your life...
Leliforever
Supporting Actor

Postby McSunny on Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Leliforever wrote:Thanks Taili!I like the title...
Does this episode refer to the well known song "when the night,goes on...etc" :whistle: :whistle: ??? :hmm:

I think it must be the song you are referring to, Leli, because sr did say in the TV Guide article that now Mer was going to be strong and stand by Derek. This episode may be where we are seeing that story play out.
McSunny
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:11 pm

Thanks for the new thread Tayli.
I hope Sunny that it will be indeed the epi we will start to see Mer to stand by Derek to help him to go through his difficult time.
But you came back. Will to Alicia Season 1

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Postby Taylijane on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 am

Okay my speculations on the sides- the title "Stand By Me" (when the night is dark ... won't you stand by me, etc) as I mentioned, the theme sounds like friendship and friends standing by friends. It probably could relate to almost all the cast couples - if it is true and Derek is heading for a dark place and is questioning his ability as a surgeon, and the spoiler that Meredith is now the strong one and it states that she will be standing by him and not running away. I will be pleasantly surprised if they are engaged yet and I have a feeling in my waters that sr is about to throw a big bomb into the relationship around 5.22. :help: We may see an engagement this season - I hope so but I can see sr teasing us and dangling dessicated carrot till the cows come home. The one rose petal under the pillow is going to kill me - for those that have read the summary of 5.14 or after you have seen 5.14 will understand what I mean. That one rose petal may be all that we get of the engagement this season. :( :cry: Sob

Lexie and Mark are probably outed by now and there may be a little flack from everyone but hopefully they are standing by each other and that Mere and Derek have come round to supporting them or will do in this episode if they are taking some flack from others about the age difference and Mark's manwhore reputation.

Owen and Cristina may also need to be standing by each other - the ex-fiancee may be gone but her casting call said she must be available for future episodes if needed (similar to what they did with Addison's casting call) - they may wait to see what the audience response to her is before they decide to bring her back. (May be a question coming up for the ABC advisory panel :) )

Izzie and Alex - now this is where I think the sides are interesting. If you look carefully there are no sides for Milo or Dave - in the Dexter and Shanna sides. When there are no sides for a character e.g. the doctors' characters, it usually means that they are existing cast members. So this is what I am speculating (I could be wrong and sides may come out for these characters soonish but it is unusual for them no to come out at the one time for one medical case) - Dave Young is Izzie - sr is sneaky :sneaky: - she often changes the sex of the doctors in the side to confuse and confound us and the medical condition is often changed. In the sides Dave has some disfigurement to his face - I am wondering if Izzie has some paralysis of the face and body because she has had a stroke caused by the aneurysm and she does not want to see anyone because of her deformity/disability (this may also contribute to Derek's dark state - he was unable to prevent the stroke by clipping the aneurysm in time). Now, Milo has no sides either and he could be Alex or George or one of the interns who have come to visit Izzie with Izzie's other friends (she must have some friends outside SGH). It is mostly likely George because Milo has no dialogue at all. :rofl: :PP I think the fab five will be there for Izzie with bells on but she is withdrawing.

This is also the episode which caused the script throwing in my estimation.

Anyways they are my thoughts so far. Please forgive me if I am totally off track. :P :blush:
"Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:06 am

Taylijane wrote:

Anyways they are my thoughts so far. Please forgive me if I am totally off track. :P :blush:

Nice to see your speculation Tayli.
Why do you think this is this epi which caused the script throwing :S :S Because of the ex-fiancée of Owen :mad: or for something else ?

Meredith wasn't a fling. She wasn't revenge. I fell in love with her. That doesn't go away because I decided to stay with you. Derek to Addison Season 2.
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow. Mer voice over Season 5.
md_em
Star Billing

Postby Taylijane on Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:25 pm

md_em wrote:
Taylijane wrote:

Nice to see your speculation Tayli.
Why do you think this is this epi which caused the script throwing :S :S Because of the ex-fiancée of Owen :mad: or for something else ?

md_em, the ex-fiancee should be gone by now. She first appears in 5.14 and she was only there for 3 epi arc which would end in 5.16 during the crossover. I don't think sr will bring her back this soon. I will wait and hear what the ABC advisory panel gets asked at their next meeting and see if there are any questions about her. No, I think that the script throwing was something else entirely. We know that PD, EP, SO and KH were involved at the table reading when the scripts were thrown. The thing that would frustrate these particular actors would be either another stupid plot devise to keep Meredith and Derek from progressing with their relationship or something to do with Dead Denny - how they are going to explain his appearance or disappearance. Or it could have something to do with Derek's crisis of faith - this is what could cause the postponement of the engagement. Could this be the plot devise to keep Mere and Derek apart this time? Mere might want to stand by Derek but he could want out.

All of these actors realise that these storylines are or could affect ratings - one is drawing back the ratings (Mere/Derek) and one is destroying ratings and the credibility of the show (Dead Denny).

If Denny is the angel of death sent to warn Izzie she is sick (tumour or aneurysm). Isn't his time over from the time he tells her that she is sick? But, the ABC executive said he is there throughout March, so maybe they are upset that this angel of death is still walking the halls of SGH and looking more and more stupid and making the actors look stupid as well.

We know that GA's bread and butter is Meredith and Derek - I think the actors also realise that sr has to deliver this time or suffer the consequences of a huge audience backlash. She can't keep dangling the dessicated carrot and then snatching it away AGAIN and AGAIN and still keep an audience. So I am hoping it is not another plot devise to keep Meredith and Derek from their engagement.

I am sure we will not see a wedding for them this season. I think the long awaited proposal will take place in the season finale at Joe's (I think it was in the 5.14 discussion that I said after seeing the first sneak peek that the woman said it should be where they met - Derek will take notice of what Cristina says in this episode - formal proposals are not for Mere) and that they will elope or something - no formal wedding for Mere. S6 will start with them married and starting a family. I hope we see a proposal before the season finale but I am not getting my hopes up - I have taken my optimistic hat off - and I will be pleasantly surprised if it happens.

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Postby Leliforever on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:20 pm

McSunny wrote:
Leliforever wrote:Thanks Taili!I like the title...

I think it must be the song you are referring to, Leli, because sr did say in the TV Guide article that now Mer was going to be strong and stand by Derek. This episode may be where we are seeing that story play out.

That's awesome!because not only I love that song but also I love more the idea of Meredith standing by derek!! :wub: :wub: :wub:
The house you were going to sell becomes your home,the roomates you were forced to take in become your family...
And the one night stand you were determined to forget becomes the love of your life...
Leliforever
Supporting Actor

Postby hbshopgirl on Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:44 am

You think the National inquirer blurb about the actors throwing scripts is true? I don't think it is. I think it has some elements of truth to it though. We are not going to get a wedding, I agree.
hbshopgirl
Stunt Double

Postby md_em on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:52 pm

bump

md_em
Star Billing

Postby Leliforever on Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:29 pm

The title totally refers to MerDer and I'm completely positive that they make up... :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's a good idea to get some hot MerDer Shonda...Or just a kiss maybe???That wouldn't be bad...We're watching GA,not Prison Break... :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Leliforever
Supporting Actor

Postby md_em on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:47 am

Leliforever wrote:The title totally refers to MerDer and I'm completely positive that they make up... :roll: :roll: :roll:
It's a good idea to get some hot MerDer Shonda...Or just a kiss maybe???That wouldn't be bad...We're watching GA,not Prison Break... :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

I'm back on my positive track Leli, and indeed this tittle refers to MerDer, and we may have plenty of them :S :S I would love :wub:
Last edited by md_em on Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

md_em
Star Billing

Postby Leliforever on Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:12 am

md_em wrote:
Leliforever wrote:The title totally refers to MerDer and I'm completely positive that they make up... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm back on by positive track Leli, and indeed this tittle refers to MerDer, and we may have plenty of them :S :S I would love :wub:

Me too Em...I miss them... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Leliforever
Supporting Actor

Postby Humbugged on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:19 pm

Dexter and Shayna (the sides for the two characters are very similar so I'll just summarize it once) along with Milo are Dave's friends. Dave is looking out the window when they arrive. They yell 'Surprise!' and stand there awkwardly taking in the sight of Dave's face, which they don't recognize. Dave isn't happy. Dexter/Shayna introduce himself/herself and shows the orchid they brought to help cheer him up. Dave tells them to get out and shocks the room into silence. Dexter/Shayna asks if they can't come in for a little bit and Dave tells the nurse to get them out because they're strangers and he doesn't want them there. Dexter says they thought they should be there through it all. Shayna says they are hardly strangers since they chat all night every night for years. Dave starts yelling for them to get out, that they've never met and dont know anything about him. The friends leave the room devastated.

Dave is Marks face transplant patient then ???
Humbugged
Supporting Actor

Postby Taylijane on Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Humbugged wrote:

Dave is Marks face transplant patient then ???

Must be, Humbugged. But, there are still no sides for Milo and Dave. There are sides and casting calls for Dexter and Shayna but no casting calls for Dave or Milo. I am wondering now if Dave and Milo are direct hires by sr and they were not cast through an agency. Or Milo may be an existing cast member who brings Dave to SGH for Mark to operate on. Can't think who it could be though. :hmm:

PS Thanks for reminding me. I had forgotten there are sides 5.18. :)

Meredith S5E24
Taylijane
Supporting Actor

Next

Return to Grey's Anatomy Spoilers